As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life Without Parole

tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
From the WI/Walker thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/wis-supreme-court-14-year-old-can-be-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-without-parole-for-slaying/2011/05/20/AFPrui7G_story.html?wprss=rss_national

MADISON, Wis. — Fourteen-year-olds convicted of homicide can be sent to prison for life without parole, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Friday in upholding a life sentence for a man who helped throw a boy off a parking ramp when he was a teenager.

In a case watched by psychiatrists, family advocates and defense attorneys, the court found that neither the U.S. nor the Wisconsin Constitution prohibits life sentences without parole for 14-year-olds in homicide cases and no national consensus has formed against such sentences.

Comments
Weigh InCorrections?

“We ... confirm what objective evidence already informs us: Contemporary society views the punishment as proportionate to the offense,” Justice Annette Kingsland Ziegler wrote for the majority.

Omer Ninham was convicted of first-degree intentional homicide for his role in the death of 13-year-old Zong Vang in Green Bay in 1998. Ninham was 14 at the time. A judge sentenced him to life without parole two years later, when Ninham was 16.

Ninham’s attorney, Byron Stevenson of the Equal Justice Initiative, had argued the sentence amounted to cruel and unusual punishment. He vowed to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“I absolutely believe it’s just a matter of time before states are going to have to re-evaluate the judgment that you can punish (a juvenile) the same way you can punish an adult,” he said. “Children are different than adults. Even when children commit very serious crimes, like the crime in this case, we have to think about their crime differently.”

Judges across the country rarely sentence juvenile offenders to life without parole. According to statistics compiled by the Equal Justice Initiative the Wisconsin justices cited in their opinion, 73 children age 14 or younger across 18 states have received that sentence.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2005 ruled that sentencing juveniles to death is unconstitutional. Last year that court ruled that life with no parole for anything less than homicide was unconstitutional as well.

Groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union have been fighting for reviews of youth life sentences in major crimes since the 2005 ruling. They argue those constitutional prohibitions should extend to homicide cases as well.

The ACLU filed a federal lawsuit in Michigan last month alleging that nine people imprisoned when they were minors deserve a chance at parole because their sentences amount to cruel and unusual punishment.

The Wisconsin justices said in their 5-2 decision that Ninham failed to show that children 14 and younger deserve different constitutional status in homicide cases. The lack of homicide life sentences for children across the country doesn’t signal that national sentiment has turned against such sentences, only that juveniles rarely kill people, the justices said.

In Ninham’s case, the punishment fit a crime that “cannot adequately be reduced into words,” the opinion said.

Ninham and four others between the ages of 13 and 14 accosted Vang while the boy was riding his bike home from the grocery store with a bag of tomatoes for his family. According to court documents, Ninham and another member of the group started teasing Vang, then punched him. Vang ran into a nearby hospital parking ramp, where the group cornered him on the top floor.

Ninham and a friend seized Vang by the wrists and ankles. As Vang cried and screamed, they threw him over the edge. He fell five stories to his death. A bystander on the ground said he heard a sound “like a wet bag of cement hitting the pavement.”

The teens fled the scene, but police used statements from some of them to track Ninham down. While he was awaiting trial, he was charged with threatening a judge and his friends who spoke to police.

Under Wisconsin law, anyone 10 or older accused of homicide can be tried in the adult system. A jury convicted Ninham of first-degree intentional homicide and child abuse in 2000. The other charges were dismissed, but the judge was allowed to consider them at Ninham’s sentencing.

First-degree intentional homicide carries a mandatory life sentence in Wisconsin. The state does not have the death penalty. The only issue at sentencing is whether a judge will grant parole eligibility.

Brown County Judge John D. McKay gave Ninham, who was by then 16, life in prison and denied him any chance at parole. The judge noted Ninham had a tough family life and he snorted cocaine weekly and drank every day, usually until he passed out.

But he said the crime devastated Vang’s family and the Green Bay community and described Ninham as a “frightening young man.”

The Wisconsin Psychiatric Association and the Wisconsin Psychological Association were among the groups that filed informational briefs in the case. The associations’ attorney, Mike Halfenger, said his clients believe a juvenile should at least have the chance at a parole, but it may ultimately be up to state legislatures to reach that conclusion on their own.

“At least hold the door open,” he said, “for the argument that the person I appeared to be as a minor is not the person I was capable of becoming.”

TLDR: A 14 year old Omer Nerhim as a group of friends assaulted Vang(13) while he was returning home with some groceries. He fled up a 5 story parking structure. They followed him up to top floor. There Nerhim and his friend grabbbed Vang by the ankles and wrists and threw him squirming and crying 50ft to his death.

The WI supreme court upheld the judges sentence of life w/out parole.

Is a guarenteed life sentance fitting for a 14 year old?

Yes, because of the viscousness and senselessness of the crime. That it was done for no purpose beyond Nerhims amusement, and a 14 year old is capable of understanding: the idea of death, that throwing someone off a 5 story building will kill them, and that throwing someone crying and struggling off a building is wrong.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
tinwhiskers on

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is your decision of "Yes" based on a belief that crime should be punished for the sake of punishment?

Lochiel on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It is troubling that we apply adult responsibility to those who are not adults in the context of criminal justice. If we were consistent with this reasoning, we would allow a fourteen year old to vote, engage in sex with whomever they please regardless of age, marry, engage in contracts, etc. The fact that we don't shows that the logical reasoning for applying adult punishment to crimes is faulty.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    It is troubling that we apply adult responsibility to those who are not adults in the context of criminal justice. If we were consistent with this reasoning, we would allow a fourteen year old to vote, engage in sex with whomever they please regardless of age, marry, engage in contracts, etc. The fact that we don't shows that the logical reasoning for applying adult punishment to crimes is faulty.

A fourteen year old may not have the faculty to understand:

- Which political candidate is a better choice
    - The ramifications of sex
    - The ramifications of entering into a contractual agreement
    - etc

But a fourteen year old does have the faculty to undertand:

- Throwing someone off of a five story building will kill them

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

- etc

But do they have the mental faculties to understand the ramifications of killing someone?

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xaev wrote: »

- etc

But do they have the mental faculties to understand the ramifications of killing someone?

Yes. Yes they do.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Xaev wrote: »

- etc

Yes, the person is dead. Really part and parcel with the whole killing thing.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not really a fan of life without parole even for adult offenders. And a kid so fucked up he committed a crime like this at 14 is the kind of damaged person we should try hardest to rehabilitate, because goddamn did something ever go wrong for him.

I mean, it's possible he's just an irredeemable sociopath, but we should at least try.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm all for the life sentence, but I don't think it's okay to deny parole to youth offenders. To an extent, it is about what a child does and does not have the faculty to understand (which is often debateable- though in the case of a sadistic homicide, I'd err in the direction of saying he probably understood the consequences quite well); but more importantly, it's about rehabilitation. I think the justice system has a duty to make an earnest attempt to fix the person.

If rehabilitation isn't even on the table, if we're categorically condemning him, why wouldn't we simply execute him? It would be cheaper, and roughly as ethical.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The question for me is whether or not he's likely to do it again. If not, there's no point in keeping him in prison.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Is your decision of "Yes" based on a belief that crime should be punished for the sake of punishment?

Theres also the fact that there is no known treatment for antisocial personality disorder(sociopathy).

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the death penalty is appropriate in this case, because no matter what happens over the course of the rest of his life, this kid will never, ever be normal. Nobody's fault (provably, at least), but he will never be a functioning, productive member of society, and we should just skip to the logical conclusion.

Yes, I'm a very firm believer in execution. Not as punishment, per se, but I accept that a society will conduct itself in such a manner that, now and again, individuals will come along who will simply never be able to fit into that society's system, regardless of why or if anybody is at fault. Those people should not be forced to eek out a miserable existence, they should be executed.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have there been many children sent to Prison who have come out "rehabilitated"? I can't any scenario that would result in this kid becoming a well-adjusted member of society after spending more life in a cell than out. He'll probably be in solitary or kept away from most of the prison population for his own protection. I think he should have the opportunity to be paroled, if just for something to keep him out of trouble, and looking to improve himself.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    The question for me is whether or not he's likely to do it again. If not, there's no point in keeping him in prison.

Yes. He's likely to do something bad again. From the OP's link, he didn't show remorse and was brought up on additional charges of threatening his buddies if they ratted him out.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think the real question is, after, say, a decade in prison and sustained attempts at rehabilitation, is it possible he could be conditioned such that he wouldn't reoffend? If it can be determined beyond a doubt that he is totally hopeless, denying parole might be justified. I'm just not convinced that's the case.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I think the real question is, after, say, a decade in prison and sustained attempts at rehabilitation, is it possible he could be conditioned such that he wouldn't reoffend? If it can be determined beyond a doubt that he is totally hopeless, denying parole might be justified. I'm just not convinced that's the case.
    wiki wrote:
    To date there have been no controlled studies reported which found an effective treatment for ASPD, although contingency management programs, or a reward system, has been shown moderately effective for behavioral change.[12] Some studies have found that the presence of ASPD does not significantly interfere with treatment for other disorders, such as substance abuse,[13] although others have reported contradictory findings.[14] Schema therapy is being investigated as a treatment for antisocial personality disorder, as well as medicinal marijuana treatments.[15]

With no proven treatment, theres all risk and minimal incentive to allow for it.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If he has genuine ASPD then he'll likely end up worse after years in prison. That's not the environment for someone with that type of disorder.

Malkor on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    I think the death penalty is appropriate in this case, because no matter what happens over the course of the rest of his life, this kid will never, ever be normal. Nobody's fault (provably, at least), but he will never be a functioning, productive member of society, and we should just skip to the logical conclusion.

Yes, I'm a very firm believer in execution. Not as punishment, per se, but I accept that a society will conduct itself in such a manner that, now and again, individuals will come along who will simply never be able to fit into that society's system, regardless of why or if anybody is at fault. Those people should not be forced to eek out a miserable existence, they should be executed.

Death penalty is off the table. They don't have it in Wisconsin, at least until Walker gets around to it. We didn't even execute Dahmer.

Of course, like Dahmer but for different reasons, a teenager's life expectency in a hard slam pennitentiary will likely be short, either by murder or suicide, not that it applies much in this specific case, since the crime was in '98 and he's now about 27.

But scientific evidence is pretty certain that you're not fully developed mentally as a teenager. Punishing a teenager for life is essentially punishing two seperate people, because the adult that they become could be nothing like the teenager.

Without the possibility of parole, you're essentially saying "this person will never be redeemed." Now, I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in redemption. I'm not saying "let him go after X years," but I do think that psychologists should be the ones to determine if the guy is a further risk to society after he's served the majority of his life sentence.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    If he has genuine ASPD then he'll likely end up worse after years in prison. That's not the environment for someone with that type of disorder.

He threw a kid kicking and screaming off a 5 story building...gonna consult my sociopath checklist, but I'm guessing a yes.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    wiki wrote:
    To date there have been no controlled studies reported which found an effective treatment for ASPD, although contingency management programs, or a reward system, has been shown moderately effective for behavioral change.[12] Some studies have found that the presence of ASPD does not significantly interfere with treatment for other disorders, such as substance abuse,[13] although others have reported contradictory findings.[14] Schema therapy is being investigated as a treatment for antisocial personality disorder, as well as medicinal marijuana treatments.[15]

With no proven treatment, theres all risk and minimal incentive to allow for it.

My point is that we are obligated to make an attempt at rehabilitation. I'm not about to assert that it's likely to succeed.
    This is a really good point. And I guess goes further to show that, apparently, we'd rather write him off. Which makes me wonder why they don't just kill him.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

Yes. He's likely to do something bad again. From the OP's link, he didn't show remorse and was brought up on additional charges of threatening his buddies if they ratted him out.

14 year old boys can be gigantic and short-sighted douchebags though, and no one wants to be ratted out.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yes, because of the viscousness and senselessness of the crime. That it was done for no purpose beyond Nerhims amusement, and a 14 year old is capable of understanding: the idea of death, that throwing someone off a 5 story building will kill them, and that throwing someone crying and struggling off a building is wrong.

Yup. All that needed to be done was to read the following quote, and the sentence is more than justified.
    Ninham and a friend seized Vang by the wrists and ankles. As Vang cried and screamed, they threw him over the edge. He fell five stories to his death. A bystander on the ground said he heard a sound “like a wet bag of cement hitting the pavement.”

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To people talking about rehabilitation: In what way does prison in the US ever "rehabilitate" the people who go through that system? A far as I can tell, it's pretty much straight up punishment. Rehabilitation is therapy and education. Prison is kind of not that, I think.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wiki wrote:

yeah, read a bit further down the wiki page.
    B) The individual is at least 18 years of age.

You know, there is kind of a reason they don't diagnose children who are not fully emotionally developed as sociopaths.

You can't trot out science about ASPD when the definition of the disorder you are describing specifically excludes the person you are talking about.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Qonas wrote: »

Yup. All that needed to be done was to read the following quote, and the sentence is more than justified.

If Vang had been cursing them out as he was dragged--as opposed to "crying and screaming"--do you think that would affect your opinion?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To people talking about rehabilitation: In what way does prison in the US ever "rehabilitate" the people who go through that system? A far as I can tell, it's pretty much straight up punishment. Rehabilitation is therapy and education. Prison is kind of not that, I think.

Prison, no. But people can change a lot as they get older, and if there's even a small chance that a kid might reform than we should at least consider giving him parole.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Going off of the article, i'd say no. Keep his ass in jail.

Someone who kills someone else for their own enjoyment is a credible threat to everyone around them, as far as i'm concerned. From the looks of it, this wasn't a crime of passion, or a simple mistake. It was plain, out and out, cold blooded murder for kicks and personal enjoyment.

There's no excuse for that. And you damn well aren't going to convince someone who adopts that view-point that the act of murder was a bad thing, from that perspective. The punishment might make them feel guilty, but the act itself is irrelevant to that. It's guilt over being caught, essentially.

Furthermore, a fourteen year old isn't a six year old. He isn't some little kid who thought daddy's revolver was a toy gun, and ended up killing someone. Those responsible initiated a fight that one party didn't want or even expected, went and beat the child they were taunting, then actively pursued him five stories up a building after he fled from the beating, and then had him murdered by throwing him off the top of a building as he was crying and screaming, presumably, at that point, for mercy.

I italicized that, by the way, to make sure people saw it. If you think the kid deserves parole, you really need to think about what was going on in the murderer's heads as they were doing that. To say they had ample opportunity to back down, or stop, is a vast understatement that doesn't even begin to describe the situation.

The kid sounds like a sociopath of the worst sort. There's rehabilitation, and then there's keeping someone out of reach of the public for the public's safety and well being. Sometimes the exception is the rule and best thing to do is, unfortunately, to keep the person locked up.

Archonex on
  • Options
    OtarOtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    redx wrote: »
    wiki wrote:

You know, there is kind of a reason they don't diagnose children who are not fully emotionally developed as sociopaths.

You can't trot out science about ASPD when the definition of the disorder you are describing specifically excludes the person you are talking about.

Parole or not he's not getting out of prison before the age of 18 and a prison most definitely is not the place for normal emotional development to take place. If he wasn't severely fucked up stairs the institution will ensure he is by the time they're done.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Have there been many children sent to Prison who have come out "rehabilitated"? I can't any scenario that would result in this kid becoming a well-adjusted member of society after spending more life in a cell than out. He'll probably be in solitary or kept away from most of the prison population for his own protection. I think he should have the opportunity to be paroled, if just for something to keep him out of trouble, and looking to improve himself.

The kid he helped throw off of a building doesn't get a chance to become a well-adjusted member of society, so why should the guy who killed him?

If Wisconsin state law won't allow him to be executed, the next best thing is to get him into the system and out of society permanently at 14/16 as opposed to later, after he would have had time to cause more trouble.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Prison, no. But people can change a lot as they get older, and if there's even a small chance that a kid might reform than we should at least consider giving him parole.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the people talking about rehabilitation are talking about something that doesn't actually exist in any meaningful sense in America. It's an ideal, and there are some exceptional cases that can be said to be "rehabilitated", but I think that's largely in spite of the system as it (largely) is.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd be more inclined to scentence him to institutionalization for observtion and (hopefully) treatement until his 18th birthday at which point he is reevaluated with lifetime parole reguardless of results of the evaluation.

Admittedly a large part of this is because I absolutely want to know if we would be able to discover how he ended up this broken at the age of 14 and I imagine prison is probably going to break him further.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Odds are a kid like this will end up in a State-run psych facility for the rest of his life. But those places aren't really for rehabilitation; they're there to ensure these kinds of people are never free to walk around in society again.

Punishing a person for their crime doesn't negate the heinous acts they've done, but society itself should be kept safe. I've worked and studied in these kinds of places. They're not prisons and those within aren't treated harshly; you walk around freely, intermingle with others, even hang out in libraries or watch TV. You just probably will never leave.

And I'm okay with that. Until science advances further, sometimes broken people are just broken, for no good reason and there's no fixing it.

Atomika on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Otar wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    wiki wrote:

Parole or not he's not getting out of prison before the age of 18 and a prison most definitely is not the place for normal emotional development to take place. If he wasn't severely fucked up stairs the institution will ensure he is by the time they're done.

hey, then maybe they should send him to an institution where he would receive treatment rather than be abused and raped.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The kid he helped throw off of a building doesn't get a chance to become a well-adjusted member of society, so why should the guy who killed him?

So you're all for eliminating opportunities for people to be productive members of society?

What do you have against society? Isn't it better to have more productive members of society?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

14 year old boys can be gigantic and short-sighted douchebags though, and no one wants to be ratted out.

Don't make excuses for a douchebag, maybe?

Is he sorry that he murdered someone or is he sorry that he was caught and is now incarcerated? That's a crucial difference for me. I don't see any trace of remorse on the murderer's part so I can't draw from the pity well.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

People change because they get world experience as they grow up. This guy's world has been a prison environment, I'm guessing.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I don't disagree with you, but I think the people talking about rehabilitation are talking about something that doesn't actually exist in any meaningful sense in America. It's an ideal, and there are some exceptional cases that can be said to be "rehabilitated", but I think that's largely in spite of the system as it (largely) is.

Well the prison-industrial-complex isn't uniform. MSNBC does nightly Locked-Up shows, which profile various prisons around the country. For every state-pen with classrooms and programs targeted to keep people from re-offending, there 10 that regularly riot because of the deplorable conditions or have the prisoners and guards at war with each other in almost every sense of the word.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Furthermore, a fourteen year old isn't a six year old. He isn't some little kid who thought daddy's revolver was a toy gun, and ended up killing someone. Those responsible initiated a fight that one party didn't want, went and beat the child they were taunting, then actively pursued him five stories up a building, and then had him murdered by throwing him off the top of a building as he was crying and screaming.

The kid sounds like a sociopath of the worst sort.

Why not have at least a semblance of an actual diagnosis before declaring someone a sociopath, rather than going with off-the-cuff judgments?

Also, what does it matter that the person was crying and screaming?

Do you think that normal people are incapable of incredible cruelty?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Obviously this kid needs to be punished. Because punishment... is good?

Can someone explain to me why we shouldn't try to rehabilitate criminals? I mean, the american prison system is about punishment, not rehabilitation, so can someone explain to me what good it does to place a 14 year old in a system with problems such as rape being condoned by the public, disenfranchisement and torture (Yes, solitary confinement is psychological torture.)

I don't know, I guess I'd need to have someone close to me murdered in cold blood to understand how good it feels to know someone who did something bad to someone close to me is being treated terribly, because I just don't understand that right now.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

So you're all for eliminating opportunities for people to be productive members of society?

What do you have against society? Isn't it better to have more productive members of society?

Do you really think that someone who spent some of their most formative years being a blackout drunk, doing coke, and throwing a kid off of a building will ever become a productive member of society?

I don't.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

He threw a kid kicking and screaming off a 5 story building...gonna consult my sociopath checklist, but I'm guessing a yes.

Throwing someone off a building doesn't make you a sociopath. A sociopath is someone that lacks empathy. They can't comprehend the emotions of others and only mimic them to use peope. He could have done it for a number of other passion filled reasons, the article is hardly clear on this point.

This is amature hour internet psychiatry you are pulling here.

Also, there really is a sociopath checklist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_Psychopathy_Checklist

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say