As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

95 Toyota Camry and fuel with 10% ethanol

FremFrem Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought my first car, a 1995 Toyota Camry LE with a 4 cylinder engine. I know absolutely nothing about cars. I've been told that since it was originally manufactured, fuel with 10% ethanol has become much more widespread, and that if my vehicle wasn't designed for it, the ethanol can eat at the seals and such in the internal workings of the vehicle.

I'll be driving this car two or three times week. Can this Camry cope with the ethanol? Do I need to put in some sort of chemical additive like in older lawn mowers to keep the ethanol from damaging things? Sources appreciated.

Thanks!

Frem on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the 10% ethanol shouldn't be much of a problem. I'd avoid running E85 though.

wmelon on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It will be fine. That's the kind of gas we run here in Minnesota. You will get ~10% less gas mileage than if you didn't have the ethanol in it, but it will still run fine and should still easily get 35 MPG.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Frem wrote: »
    I just bought my first car, a 1995 Toyota Camry LE with a 4 cylinder engine. I know absolutely nothing about cars. I've been told that since it was originally manufactured, fuel with 10% ethanol has become much more widespread, and that if my vehicle wasn't designed for it, the ethanol can eat at the seals and such in the internal workings of the vehicle.

I'll be driving this car two or three times week. Can this Camry cope with the ethanol? Do I need to put in some sort of chemical additive like in older lawn mowers to keep the ethanol from damaging things? Sources appreciated.

Thanks!

Chances are, assuming it hasnt been sitting on a dealer's lot or someones front lawn for 10 years, that it has been already running 10% ethanol fuel. You should be fine.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sweet. Thanks!

Frem on