As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT: An Airship Construction Simulator

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
MAHxk.jpg

Uh, yeah guys. Please, disable your automatic spawners. It's causing server lag and we ARE looking into it. Just suck up and work for your shit for once.

Is Minecraft.net Down?

Server IP

This is easier to remember.

pennycraft.dyndns.org

Server Rules!
  • Don't be a dick!
  • We'll invite your friends but if your friend is a dick you are banned too!
  • We play a harder version of this game than before! That means no more kits or handouts!
  • Read the other god damn posts!

Vent Info!

vtx14.defconservers.com
port:3860
password: fortytwo

Do you want a color name? Pink is off limits, it's our guest color and it helps us keep track of things.
yDDdf.png

Black and pink are off limits. The gold is more like orange.

"Wait wait wait, what is Minecraft?"
When I said it was like legos with monsters and stuff I meant that its better than legos because in order to find that one block you really want, chances are you gotta literally dig it out of the earth.

Great! I loaded up a map but I'm really confused on how to play!

Look for a tree. Chances are, you see one. Punch it. Seriously, punch it with the left mouse button. You wanna aim for the logs. Also, stick with the short trees for now. There's more wood in the larger ones but they're harder to take down when you're just starting out.

Anyways, now open up your inventory with the I key. It looks like this.
dQYWW.jpg
You see that 2x2 grid box? Put your logs in there. You'll notice that you now have something called Wooden Planks. (It doesn't actually exist until you click on it but whatever.) You want 4 of them to make a crafting table? It's does for you exactly the same thing you're doing right now, but instead you have a 3x3 crafting grid.

Hopefully, you have a lot more than 4 planks at the moment. If not, get at least 5 more. If you have enough, then go to your crafting table and right click on it. Take 2 planks and put them on the grid, one on top of the other to make Sticks. Generally speaking, it's fairly intuitive to make items with the crafting table like what you just did now, but here's a couple of pictures for you to show you how to make your first tools. Oh and by the way, use the wrong tool on the wrong block and it breaks faster. It's still pretty intuitive, like why would you use a pickaxe on a tree instead of an axe?
PzUTy.jpgOiMjK.jpgbm4ll.jpgJvB1S.jpg
Now, depending on the time of day you either want to make a home or start gathering stone. Use your new wooden pickaxe and gather 8 blocks of stone. Go back to your crafting table and make a circle around in the crafting grid. This gives you a furnace and it does many nice things for you.

Oh like, you can smelt logs and get charcoal and make yourself torches. By the way logs burn at roughly the same rate as planks, so if you're going to be using logs as fuel, use planks instead. Charcoal has the same properties as coal does, coal being one of the minerals you can mine out of the ground. Stick a piece of charcoal on top of a stick and you have a torch. Use this to light your house because night is coming soon, or is already here and monsters come out at night. They won't spawn within a certain area of you, and they won't spawn if there is too much light.

Remember that your first home doesn't need to be special but do remember to build a roof, you'll thank me later when spiders come crawling in, giant spiders. Sometimes with skeletons riding on them.

And there you go! The basics of Minecraft! If there is anything else you need to know, ask around or check out the Minecraft Wikia here. Remember that YouTube is a wonderful source of information as well, just remember to check the dates because this game updates often and sometimes things become out of date.

Did you know that there is a large modding community for Minecraft? It's true!

I will not bother to list like a top 10, because there are just so many that I wouldn't have time to do so. The Minecraft Official Forums are exactly what you would expect from any official forum, full of people who care way too much about Minecraft to actually fill in their brain with knowledge or tact. This is where the modding community is though!

As far as keeping things organized, the mods there seem to run a tight ship. I will make things easy for you though and link you to the forums and stickies you should frequent.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WE ARE NOW ON 1.7.2

Most recent render: July 6th http://zoom.it/okLM

Map renders:
    Islands render: Day Zero Clean
    Islands render: Day one Night
    Islands render: May 4th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: May 10th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: May 14th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: May 17th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: May 20th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: May 26th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: June 6th (Day|Night)
    Islands render: June 15th (Day|Night)

Old Map render: Taken down for right now. I will do a render when it comes back up.

Server Status:
    Server is almost always up unless I take it down for fixing/additions. I usually take it down around noon EST, but my schedule varies.

Ultimak's Server FAQ, read this before asking questions.

This is being updated shortly due to a lot of out of date info.

SEC 1: What our server is like
    Q: What type of server is it?

A: The server we run is a Survival PvE server. We run bukkit and have a few plugins that give us groups, name colors, and some game modifcations like minecart rail boosters. A list of all the plugins we run can be found below or by using /plugins in-game.

Q: Can I join?

A: Yes! The server is open to all, though we perfer if you are a part of the forums. Send a PM to either Nuka or I with your minecraft name and we will get you whitelisted.

Q: Can my friends join?

A: With friends we usually will allow 1 or so for newer players. If you are a new player and you want to bring 4 friends along I am a little iffy about that until you have spent a little more time with us. Also the friend rule is in place which states that if one of your friends gets banned then you get banned and everyone else you vouched for. All bans are permanent.

SEC 3: Rules
    Q: What are the rules?

A: The basic rule is don't be a dick. This includes not stealing other people stuff or spamming chat or any number of things that would be perceived as dickish to most people.

Q: What about fire and TNT?

A: Fire can be used freely, we just don't want people to burn down huge forests because of the lag it generates. As for TNT its free to use as well, just be careful and don't set off a huge chain of it because of again, the lag issue.

Q: Where can I build?

A: Anywhere someone hasn't set up already or claimed for future use. Also make sure to give other people space as most people end up expanding.

NOTE: Spawn is under admin control. Buildings on the spawn island must be in the same style as what is currently there. Also it may be best to check with an admin or post in the thread about there you want to build if you intend to do so at spawn.

Q: How do I claim an area?

A: If you want to claim an area for yourself then put a sign saying what you are claiming and include your name. Also add some sort of border, most people use fences or torches so that other people know where the claim ends. Also be sure to add the claim date. This will let us know how old claims are, and if they are old enough we will revoke the claim.

Q: How much time do I have to use my claimed land?

A: This may change in the future but I will just throw out 2 weeks for right now. If you don't add a date then we just use our best guess.

NEW RULES ADDED

The new rules dealing with exploits are as follows:

1. Do not use any exploits that among other things allows you to teleport, duplicate items, fly, run fast, see through the ground ect. The use of any game altering client side mods will get you banned without warning (The use of clientside minimaps and hud modifcations are allowed)
    2. If you find an exploit please PM me with the details.
    3. Once finding an exploit do NOT continue using it, doing so will get you banned.

Essentially on this server just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If you are unsure if something you want to do will get you banned then PM us or ask us in-game.

ANOTHER NEW RULE: No completely automated item farms of any kind that require absolutely no player intervention. Mob farms where you collect the drops yourself are fine, as are piston operated reed farms because you have to be there to collect the drops.

SEC. 4: Misc stuff
    Q: Who are the admins?

A: The admins are Me(ultimak), Nuka, Apricotmuffins, and Twixxo, _pooka_ and greypoet. Admins have a ~ in front of their names.

Q: Who runs the server?

A: I do most of the work on the technical side of things, including updating bukkit and the various plugins we run as well as trying to fix issues people are having.

Q: I have a plugin I want you to add!

A: Send me a link, and keep in mind it has to be in the spirit of survival. We have a very vocal group of people who like the server towards the "like vanilla" side of things so I tend to go that direction as well.

Q: My question wasn't answered here

A: Then feel free to ask in the thread or shoot me a PM. This is only a general FAQ.

SEC. 5: Plugins We Use
    Alright here is a write-up of the mods/plugins we use on the server.

We use bukkit as the platform for all the plugins. This means that we can only put bukkit plugins on the server. Below is a list of the plugins we use, separated by category.

Admin plugins (Theses plugins are either only available to the admins or work behind the scenes and do not effect the normal player):
    Essentials Group Manager (Gives us groups, and a permissions system)
    Essentials Group Bridge
    ichat (gives us the chat colors and prefixes)
    whitelist
    logblock (logs every block that is broken/placed on the server, allows us to rollback any griefing and find out who placed what blocks)
    Borderguard (Puts in a hard border for the world that cannot be crossed, this is here because new chunks that are spawned will not be altered by the biome terrain mod)
    Autosave (preforms a save every 30 minutes)
    Worldedit (Used to give the admins more power and flexibility as well as allowing them to rollback selected regions with logblock)
    MCtelnet (Used to give me console access, if you ever see <console> talking in-game thats me talking from the console. Also allows me to connect to the server from my ipod, which is sweet)
    Plgcoldlightning (Used to prevent lightning from starting fires until notch fixes the rain not putting out fires bug)
    multi-inv (Used to make inventories per-world, and we can control which worlds have shared inventories)
    As you can see a lot goes into the underlying groundwork of the server that most people never know about, here are the plugins that you guys are probably interested in. The name links to the bukkit thread.

Minecart mania: We currently run minecart mania core, sign commands, chest control, admin commands, and stations. The only alteration thats been made to the default mcm is that the booster block is a bookcase instead of a gold block. If anyone is interested in learning more about this plugin I highly suggest you read the wiki located here

Vegetation: We use this mod for natural plant spreading, and have the other features such as wildgrass turned off. Plants spread to adjacent blocks of the same type, so if a flower is on grass it will attempt to spread to other grass blocks beside it. The spreading is fairly slow, and you do need to have the chunk loaded for it to spread at all. For right now its all automated, no commands or anything.

Gates: This is what we use for gates. Its a more realistic style of gates, rather then just having the fences disappear when you open the gate.

Bridges: The same plugin author made both the bridges and gates mod. The bridges is like the gate mod except oriented horizontally. Reading the entire OP of the thread will probably serve you best when trying to make a bridge.

commandbook: Most of commandbook simply makes admin commands easier to do, but its also used to give general commands to all players such as /who, /rules, /getpos, /motd, /time, /me, and /msg.

Minecal: This is used to give use a calendar and add a little persistence to the world. THe date is broadcast every day, and you can also use /today to bring up the date or display the date on a sign. To do this use %y for the year, %m for the month, %w for the weekday, and %d for the day. I suggest doing something like %w %d on the first line of the sign, then %m %y on the next. Also make sure to put [cal] on the sign, this will make it display the date, as well as update the sign automatically each time the date changes. Pics below that may help:

This is what it looks like when imputing the date onto the sign:
    CO1El.png

And after hitting done this is what you now see:
    pVlmk.png

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rail System 101
    So you want to travel in style, save time, reduce your carbon footprint, and avoid creeper-holing our beautiful surface roads? Then you want to use the fabulous SE++ Rail System!

What's the Status Of the Thing?
    All main trunk lines (north, east, south, west) are working.

Once you are rolling down your chosen line, do another "/st <final destination> -s" (like "/st cliff -s"). I'm in the process of filling in more names on the spawntown stations so you won't have to switch "/st" commands once you're going.

Where Can This Magic Beast Take Me?
    A simple map of all the stations I know of at the moment:
    se-plusplus-rail-map-substyle.png

I Want To Help!
    • Come dig a tunnel! The rail tunnels are 4 wide, 3 tall, heading outward from the Spawntown station at x63,z-21. Drop down the water break, pick an existing tunnel (NESW), head down it, and start digging at the end. Any ore or dungeons or such you find is yours; first-come, first-serve. We're in the diamond layer, so it's a great way to mine for shinies and help the cause at the same time. Note: dig up any floor gravel you find because gravel is the "brake block" and will slow down carts that pass over it.
    • We're always in need of iron for rail expansion. Consider donating what you can. There's a chest in the middle of the Spawntown station for donations.

The Bare-Handed Tutorial
    1. put your minecart on the obsidian block (or, if you're in Spawntown, push the button to get a free cart)
    2. use a "/st" station command to set your destination (see map above); type "/st spawn -s" in the chat window to go to Spawntown, for example. The station names for the main trunk lines are:
      • north
      • east
      • south
      • west
    3. get in your cart and you'll be launched on your way automatically

Typing "/st next -s" while you're flying down the rail should always route you off to the next stop.

Current Station Names
    Station travel is the bee's knees and the panda's paws. The idea is that if you type in, in the normal chat window, "/st <destination> -s", then routing signs under the various intersections can magically send you in the right direction. So, for example, if I were in Spawntown and wanted to go to Cliff City, I could check the map above, see that "cliff" is the station name I want, and type "/st cliff -s" before hopping in the cart. I'll end up in Cliff City, easy as a lion. When I get there, I type "/st none" to clear my station selection or I'd get confused next time I tried to leave Cliff City, as it would keep routing me back there!

Since signs can only hold a limited amount of text, you can't express travel from all points to all other points. However, "spawn" will always get you back to the Spawntown street station and, from there, almost all destinations are supported; if you find any that don't route correctly from there, let me know.

Rail Etiquette and Troubleshooting
    • Many many kind people donate minecarts to the rail system so that people who are new, just died, etc., can use it. The station in Spawntown creates minecarts out of thin air: I recommend keeping one. Taking carts out of a chest generally means someone is going to come up short a cart when they need it; don't be a jerk.
    • The rail is single-track in the vast majority of places. We're working on improving that where resources allow, but head-on collisions will happen. When it does, tip your hat, pick up your cart, and run to the next station.
    • When you destroy a cart (whack it with a sword), Minecart Mania returns it to its "owner." If you dispensed the cart from a push-button chest, it will go back to that chest, leaving you cart-less. This is awesome for keeping carts from migrating, but can confuse new people.
    • Teleporting (as a mod/admin) makes you invisible to the station blocks, so your cart will behave like it is empty. Routing will not work at all. Log out and back in.

Who Is Responsible For This Awesomeness / Piece Of Crap
    The rail system wouldn't be possible without a ton of people. I hope that apricot is keeping that "thank you" list up to date.

So You Want To Be a Railroad Tycoon?
    I wrote up a tutorial on adding a basic station. As soon as the server comes up, I'll add pictures. Beyond that, I recommend the Minecart Mania Wiki. If you have specific questions, ask me (PMs here, in-game, etc.) and I'll do my best to help. I'll add frequently-asked questions to the web page.

If you want to intersect the main rail lines with your rail project, please, for the Love of the Creeper God, do it in a non-intrusive way. Traffic should continue normally past your intersection without noticing, unless they "/st next" or something like that. Likewise, please don't disrupt main line operation any more than you have to. Consider the rails public property. Beyond that, play nice and have fun building!

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also placeholder

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Wild_riceWild_rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just being cool here ^^

Wild_rice on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this post is a placeholder

not really but i didn't want to mess with a good thing we had going

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I to understand then that we are still in the process of moving? Or has there been some development on that front that warrants laughing out loud?

sarukun on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I too will be participating in the crafting of mines.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sarukun wrote: »
    Am I to understand then that we are still in the process of moving? Or has there been some development on that front that warrants laughing out loud?

We have been moving a lot lately.

We're at roughly 73%. A few hours probably left in the upload. Ultimak can provide greater details.

I'm just a cynical person. :P

nuka on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am holding this post until people stop holding their posts.

Also ultima's 2nd post is a big fat lie right now.

Goose! on
    edited May 2011
    74% now! it will be about 2 hours or so. I dont know the exact time it will take to import the database but I will be stating up until its moved and everything is confirmed good.
    Goose! wrote: »
    I am holding this post until people stop holding their posts.

Also ultima's 2nd post is a big fat lie right now.

Not everything is out of date, but I do plan to overhaul it after this move works out.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm just hoping to get a chance to punch trees on the server when it gets back online. Can I get a tl;dr of cool shit everyone's built?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the community here looks like it's really taken off

i should install this again now that my computer can render it in 4d

Squall on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Minecraft!!

dbrock270 on
    edited May 2011
    proyebat wrote: »
    I'm just hoping to get a chance to punch trees on the server when it gets back online. Can I get a tl;dr of cool shit everyone's built?

I will happily give you a tour of Spawnville.

I'm holding out on replying to your PM until I can log in and whitelist you.

nuka on
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't think it was that hard to figure out how to be homeless.

Sell home -> Buy box.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nuka wrote: »
    Server IP
    lol

heh

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, I didn't realize that the server was down when I sent that PM to ultimakay too...

There goes me for not reading past the last few pages.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
    edited May 2011
    nuka wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

We have been moving a lot lately.

We're at roughly 73%. A few hours probably left in the upload. Ultimak can provide greater details.

I'm just a cynical person. :P

Hahaha, this is good news.

sarukun on
  • divine willydivine willy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What to do first when the server goes up, Craft or Mine? Hmmmmmm

divine willy on
    gametag-Crafticus
    edited May 2011
    Zay wrote: »
    I didn't think it was that hard to figure out how to be homeless.

Sell home -> Buy box.

If you really want to do it correctly, it's "walk out of the place you live with nothing but what you have on your immediate person when you make the decision, and dig a box out of a Best Buy dumpster".

sarukun on
    edited May 2011
    Ooooh awesome, firetruck and apricotmuffins are just a bit south of my pad! I'm the lights in the desert just a north and a bit east of apricot's desert.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone still use that Vent server? I've been mulling over shutting it down or handing it over to someone else.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf3li-oPAZ4&feature=player_embedded

We do but not all of the time Butters. I will be sad to see it go, but since no one but me and a few others use it you could probably close it.

nuka on
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Does anyone still use that Vent server? I've been mulling over shutting it down or handing it over to someone else.

is it the server at vtx14.defconservers.com? because that one gets used a lot for league of legends.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I used the vent server more often.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »

is it the server at vtx14.defconservers.com? because that one gets used a lot for league of legends.

You or anyone else you know interested in taking it over? Its probably best if its put in the hands of someone that actually uses it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2011
    Not me, but ask in the LoL thread.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Art, I'm abandoning my tower for a bit. I was just getting too frustrated with trying to make it look not like poop from a butt. I will prolly be by to clear out the chests, then you can burn it down or whatever you like.

Fire Truck on
    edited May 2011
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Art, I'm abandoning my tower for a bit. I was just getting too frustrated with trying to make it look not like poop from a butt. I will prolly be by to clear out the chests, then you can burn it down or whatever you like.

in an ironic twist, the burning fire tower set the rest of spawntown ablaze, destroying everything.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanted to play on the server tonight.

Hilarious.

DarkPrimus on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

in an ironic twist, the burning fire tower set the rest of spawntown ablaze, destroying everything.

while this is a wonderful image, I just wanna be clear: I'm taking a break from finishing my ugly tower near cliff city. If you burn down my fire station I will cut you.

Fire Truck on
    edited May 2011
    oh, boring then
    who cares about clifftown burning down, anyway

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We will need the wool for Ultimak's statue, so I guess I will be taking that.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited May 2011
    Oh god: Mount Rushmore of server greats.

introp on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What program do you guys use to render the maps? I've tried Minetographer, so far just seeing what you guys use and if you have any better options.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    edited May 2011
    I settled on Tectonicus for my local server. I like how it works and the final result. You have to have a passing understanding of the command line, though, which is a turn-off for many.

introp on
    edited May 2011
    Feriluce wrote: »
    What program do you guys use to render the maps? I've tried Minetographer, so far just seeing what you guys use and if you have any better options.

We use c10t, though it seems that the download on the minecraft forums is down. I got it from eins landgen thing i downloaded. There is also mcmap which renders is a little more detail then c10t, so i would probably only use it for smaller maps.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    introp wrote: »
    I settled on Tectonicus for my local server. I like how it works and the final result. You have to have a passing understanding of the command line, though, which is a turn-off for many.

Minetographer seems to run off of Tectonicus, but it outputs the map as html and I'd rather have it saved as an image. I suppose I could print screen and save that, but that's just tedious.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Been busy but I'm gonna log on...tomorrowish hope no one burned down my treehouse while I was gone!

mensch-o-matic on
    edited May 2011
This discussion has been closed.