As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Problem [SOLVED]

kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, about a month ago now, I bought a new computer. This one, to be precise. So, hooray, got everything switched around, started playing around. First thing I did was move my current video card, a ATI 2600HD, to the new comp. Started trying out a few games, they are running sweet(Mass Effect, Portals, Civ 5). I get about 10 minutes in, and sound starts to stutter, screen goes black. This continues for ~15 seconds, then I get a brief (1/2 sec) of static/rainbow screen (old timey test screen), then every thing goes back to normal. This happened about 2 more times in a half hour, and then I shut stuff down.

First thing's first, I uninstalled drivers, tried again. No luck, same thing is happening. Next step, I took a look at the power supply. 350. Balls. Flash forward to now, I have a 650 supply in it, same problem. I installed SpeedFan to check the temps, but I don't see any heat spikes. So I'm thinking it's the video card.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas for me?

PSN: the-K-flash
kuhlmeye on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Try the videocard on another computer, it does indeed seem to be failing. It's very old, looks like it's time for a newer card!

You will definitely be able to get one of the same-ish performance level for very cheap, it will consume less power and be quieter too.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was in use on my old computer. It didn't have any real problems except that my old computer was just terribly slow. It could run Civ 5 for extended periods of time, just it looked bad and ran slow. Granted, I haven't done any serious gaming on that rig in ~3 months.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh, for some reason I thought this happened some time after, and not immediately. It's certainly strange. I have to go out now though, but if you're interested in a new videocard, check the ATI 5670, it's under the $75 price range and it's leaps and bounds better than the HD2600.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, bought a new video card. Seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What did you get? Glad to see your problem resolved.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I got the 5670. Easily the best bang for the buck, plus a 15 dollar rebate. So like 65 dollars total.

kuhlmeye on