As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soda, Cola, Pop, whatever you call it, talk about it here.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mexi Coke is best Coke.

I will hear no arguments to the otherwise.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Even though I am a Canadian patriot, Vernors is the superior ginger ale, sorry.

Never tried it, only available in Ontario or do you know if I'd be able to find it out west?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I go into restaurants

I will order a Diet Coke

and sometimes they don't have Coke, because they're a Pepsi-licensed establishment, and the server will be like

"Is Diet Pepsi ok?"

I am always like "Yeah that's fine."

But every now and again I get the temptation to be like "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU?!" and table-turn and storm out as a gag

Again, it's not that they want to, it's that they have to. Coke can, will, and has sued over the serving of non-Coke product when Coke product was requested.

I know, it's just that they say it with such caution and concern I feel like I want to justify that with over-reacting as a joke.

There are lawyers with hair triggers involved. That caution and concern is quite warranted.

(Besides, Robot Chicken already did it.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been drinking Pepsi throwback so long, I don't think I can go back to regular, unless it was from a fountain.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love Suicides, most people think they're disgusting though. I only have like one a month though because of the rediculous ammount of sugar I can fit into a Double Gulp container.

I'm pretty sure this is what will kill me.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

Never tried it, only available in Ontario or do you know if I'd be able to find it out west?

Not only is it only available in Ontario, it's only available in parts of Ontario.

I grew up in Kitchener, and I drank and loved Vernors.

I live in Toronto, which is an hour and a half away from there, and nobody carries it.

What the fuck!

Whenever I go back to Kitchener to visit my family there I pick some up.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

Not only is it only available in Ontario, it's only available in parts of Ontario.

I grew up in Kitchener, and I drank and loved Vernors.

I live in Toronto, which is an hour and a half away from there, and nobody carries it.

What the fuck!

Whenever I go back to Kitchener to visit my family there I pick some up.

Damn, haha.

I'll find an excuse to visit friends at Waterloo and check it out

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also what sucks is the fact that so many damn soda's use HFCS.

Are there any Root Beers that actually use sugar? :(

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jones Soda makes root beer with sugar.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lanz wrote: »

I can't stand HFCS in my soda, which is part of the reason I drink diet colas.

I actually prefer aspartame to HFCS

Pony on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Mexi Coke is best Coke.

I will hear no arguments to the otherwise.

I prefer Colombian.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    aspartame gives me the munchies something awful.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cotton Club Cherry-Strawberry is pretty good for some reason.

I have a hard time eating a meal out without sprite, though. I've gotten so accustomed to it that any strong or spicy restaurant meal doesn't taste right unless I have that fizzy citrus to rinse my mouth out. I literally never drink it except when eating out and haven't bought any in any form (except fountain) in years: in fact, I find the canned version revolting. It actually makes me feel guilty to walk into a decent Indian restaurant and order Sprite when it seems like the customary drink is only water, or Sprite instead of tea at a nice Chinese place, but I simply don't fully enjoy my restaurant experience without it. Coca-Cola has done a good job conditioning me I guess: Sierra Mist is acceptable but not quite as good, and IIRC it's a blatant Sprite clone anyhow.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lanz wrote: »

I can't stand HFCS in my soda, which is part of the reason I drink diet colas.

I actually prefer aspartame to HFCS

this.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pel wrote: »

I have a hard time eating a meal out without sprite, though. I've gotten so accustomed to it that any strong or spicy restaurant meal doesn't taste right unless I have that fizzy citrus to rinse my mouth out. I literally never drink it except when eating out and haven't bought any in any form (except fountain) in years: in fact, I find the canned version revolting. It actually makes me feel guilty to walk into a decent Indian restaurant and order Sprite when it seems like the customary drink is only water, or Sprite instead of tea at a nice Chinese place, but I simply don't fully enjoy my restaurant experience without it. Coca-Cola has done a good job conditioning me I guess: Sierra Mist is acceptable but not quite as good, and IIRC it's a blatant Sprite clone anyhow.

I have meals that just don't taste right without Pepsi - Pizza Hut Pizza, Taco Bell, big ass burritos from anywhere, vindaloo, breakfast. None of those things taste right so when I am dieting or cutting back on the pepsi I never have those things. Sad really I can't separate them.

Weirdly, I think Taco Bell and Pizza Hut has to do with them serving pepsi products. If I get a Whopper and bring it home, Pepsi taste so wrong with it. My head thinks Whopper = Sprite because that's what is there.

useless4 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    Pel wrote: »

I have meals that just don't taste right without Pepsi - Pizza Hut Pizza, Taco Bell, big ass burritos from anywhere, vindaloo, breakfast. None of those things taste right so when I am dieting or cutting back on the pepsi I never have those things. Sad really I can't separate them.

Weirdly, I think Taco Bell and Pizza Hut has to do with them serving pepsi products. If I get a Whopper and bring it home, Pepsi taste so wrong with it. My head thinks Whopper = Sprite because that's what is there.

Actually, for a while, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut were owned by Pepsi.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It really bothers me how the internet myths and fear-mongering on aspartame, which have about as much scientific foundation as anti-vaccination theories, are nonetheless really popular and difficult to stamp out.

Pony on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It really bothers me how the internet myths and fear-mongering on aspartame, which have about as much scientific foundation as anti-vaccination theories, are nonetheless really popular and difficult to stamp out.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the claims that HFCS is bad for you vs. some of the more recent research that has suggested that HFCS is probably fairly similar to regular sugar?

Marathon on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My drinks of choice are usually of the non-cola variety. Sprite, Mountain Dew, Root Beer (Barg's or A&W), Dr. Pepper. Typical cola is fine, but not a preference. Unless you give me Cherry Coke or Wild Cherry Pepsi.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I don't think it's quite as bad at the chaos Andrew Wakefield generated for a good decade but it's pretty high up there

I dislike people who take hearsay like that at face value

on some other forum i was a part of a few years ago where many members had formspring accounts, a hoax news release was passed around twitter which stated that the company behind formspring would be publically releasing the identities of all users. a considerable amount of people went crazy over this without even checking to see if it was true or not. drives me up the wall

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just wanna say that Pepsi Throwback is amazing. I am drinking some right now. Also I need to try this Vernors, since I live in Kitchener.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henry Weinhard Gourmet Soda is probably my favorite, with Vanilla Cream, Orange Cream, and Black Cherry Cream all being delicious.

Green River is also pretty cool. Has a nice sweet lime taste to it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In order of preference: Caffiene-Free Diet Coke, Diet Coke, Caffiene-Free Diet Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Generic Diet Cola. In a pinch I'll take Fanta.

Diet stuff basically. Full Cola Cola Max/Zero actually tastes too sweet to my pallette.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    On a side note, did you guys know that you can order Jones Soda with custom labels, shipped anywhere you please?

I got this for my girlfriend a year or so ago:
    Cwy0ql.jpg

She's nearly ten years my senior.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CHERRY Motherfuckin Coke, bitches!

Carbonated nectar of the gods.

Also, people who can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi get odd looks from me. Like, "Do you have a fully functioning tongue, or what?"

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I prefer coke to pepsi, it has this slightly sharper flavor which I prefer. I like it best loaded with some ice-cubes, preferably from a soda fountain.

Being from California I have never heard anyone call carbonated soft drinks 'pop' or generically, 'coke'. We call it soda here. And it sort of wigs me out that anyone calls it anything but that.

TIP: If you miss sugar-sweetened coke/pepsi go to your nearest Mexican market. They import soda from Mexico, where it is still made with sugar. It comes in glass bottles that you can recycle, and it costs the same too :)

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How.. has this not been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM

Wanna try that cucumber soda

Atheraal on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jones Soda all the way. Especially green apple. They also have one of the greatest orange sodas ever.
    Occasionally I'll go for Coke as well. You can't get Cherry or Vanilla coke here though, which sucks.

As for what people call it here, 'pop' is by far the most common term.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mello Yello is my carbonated soft drink of choice. And thanks to my job, I now know the song the drink is named after.

"They call me mellow yellow...."

Also: fountain > can > bottle. That is the way of things.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pepsi Max or Diet Pepsi.

Can't drink normal soda anymore; you know how sticky and gross it feels when you spill soda on yourself? That's how things with HFCS feel in my mouth.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I actually don't care very much about splitting the health hazard hairs between HFCS and cane sugar. The taste is significantly different between the two, and I think HFCS is gross. That's really the end-of-story for me.

And, while I'm not a huge fan of aspartame, I will totally choose a diet soda over a non-diet soda with HFCS, although if a cane sugar cola is available (like Jones or Pepsi Throwback) I will gladly drink that over a diet cola.

Pony on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A nice thing--well, relatively speaking--is that in Athens, Georgia, you can easily buy imported Coke from Mexico for the same price. I honestly like the taste more, but I only started drinking corn syrup when I came to the United States, so that might have something to do with it.

I'm speaking literally of "Coke"--if you call something that is clearly not Coke "Coke", you better to referring to the cocaine you're smuggling inside the bottle, or you're a madman.

For a generic term, I call it "soda". I've never used "pop", but that's because "soda" is the word that's taught when you learn English first in Asia. "Pop" is a verb, for when something bursts. The last thing you need, when learning English, is more homonyms.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I be the guy who comes in here all self-righteous telling everyone how terrible soda is?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My order of preference is as follows:

Vanilla Coke > Pepsi > Dr. Pepper > Canada Dry Ginger Ale > Mountain Dew > Root Beer

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the whole I actually find soda drinks not so great. I used to drink several sodas a day. Now I only really drink them for the caffeine, not the taste, and I drink them much less frequently. I'd rather have juice, milk or water.

Pepsi Max is my choice (Coke zero in 2nd place).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Put me in with the crowd that doesn't understand the south. I mean, when you want a hot dog, do you ask for "a burger"?

I've gotten hooked on Coke Zero. To the point where I can't really drink normal pop anymore. They feel overloaded with sugar now. I've pretty much become accustomed to how generally "light" Coke Zero feels.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Can I be the guy who comes in here all self-righteous telling everyone how terrible soda is?

I believe you can, sir.

I actually can't recall the last time I drank Pepsi. It's rare in Georgia, not surprisingly.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zero-calorie sodas pretty universally have a bitter aftertaste, in my experience.

But yeah, I used to guzzle a 2-liter of cheap Wal-Mart brand soda a day, and coupled with no physical activity whatsoever... well, suffice it to say, I wish I had made better choices during high school, nutrition-wise. That experience kind of turned me off of regular soda forever.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mmm, yeah, I used to swig boxes and boxes of delicious Safeway Select brand grape soda. I eventually gave it up after having like 10 cavities in one dentist appointment. I do still miss that sweet sweet taste of Blue #3.

dojango on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Marathon wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the claims that HFCS is bad for you vs. some of the more recent research that has suggested that HFCS is probably fairly similar to regular sugar?

Propaganda funded by the corn industry.

Notice how they're trying to have it relabeled as "corn sugar" as opposed to "High Fructose Corn Syrup".

Even though I guzzle Code Red by the two liter on a semi-regular basis, I'm against HFCS simply because it's in everything. Of the roughly 45,000 items in your local supermarket, more than a quarter of them contain HFCS in some form. Thirteen out of the thirty eight ingredients in a Chicken McNugget are either corn or corn-derived.

SmokeStacks on