Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Online Photo Gallery + Backup opinions

AridholAridhol Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
A while back I made a H&A thread about sorting a huge amount of photo's and I finally finished (mostly).
I now have about 20,000 photo's that are sorted, backed up on DVD and a spare HD.

The next step is to share some of them in a gallery but also to do an online backup as a "just in case". Mailing a drive or DVD to someone is not an option and though a safety deposit box could work I'd rather an online solution.

The 2 big ones I've looked at have been SmugMug (leaning towards this) and Flickr but I welcome any and all ideas.

Needs:
Security - Password, indexing, privacy policy etc..
Unlimited storage space (per picture size limits are fine)
Decent gallery options
Full size display options to visitors
No "transfer/viewing" limits
Security
The ability to sync with Picasa or Lightroom or an FTP option for quick/mass retrieval / uploading.

Aridhol on

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would look at getting your own website on something like Bluehost.com - you can pretty much have a one click setup gallery install through their control panel.

Reasons to do this:
    Fine grain permission control you control
    No censorship, No rights issues (the leeway you give some online sites to reuse and repurpose your pics can be astonishing)
    Unlimited storage (most don't even cap anymore or throw out like 10gbs as the limit)

It will cost like 60ish a year, but you will also get your own domain name.