As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monitor issue: buttons unresponsive and menu coming up w/o input

InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
All,

I own a 22 in. Acer AL 2216W monitor. In the last couple days, it's begun behaving erratically. Two major issues: first, the buttons on the front no longer work reliably. I first ran into the problems seriously when I had turned it off overnight and when I attempted to turn it on the next morning, it simply didn't turn on. I unplugged it from the strip and plugged it into the wall directly, and unplugged from the graphics it and replugged it into the graphics card, and it turned on. Sometimes the buttons work now and sometimes they do not. It /is/, however, going into and out of sleep mode effectively, so I've stopped turning it off.

The other issue is that the monitor menu, which allows me to switch it between various display modes specialized for various purposes and also just directly modify the brightness, contrast, etc, just comes up without my hitting any buttons, and a few seconds later goes away. While I've been typing this, it's happened a dozen times or more; it seems to stick around 5-10 seconds, go off for <5 seconds, and come back. Given my experiences the last couple days, it seems to do this for awhile, and then stop doing it for maybe as long as a few hours, then it will start happening again.

This is irritating. It's difficult to watch things on the internet, as I do, and my more precision-based games (like SC2, for example) are very difficult to play well with a 1.5 inch by 4 inch (or so) graphic overlaying my screen.

I know monitor problems are tough to handle, but does anyone have any ideas? I do have a 3 yr warranty that expires ~6 months from now that I investigated when I thought it was proper broke and not turning on, but I wanted to see if there were other possibilities before I pursued that one.

Thanks!

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
Invictus on

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like you've got an electrical short somewhere in the monitor causing it to believe button presses are happening when they are not. Unless you have the chops to diagnose and fix that sort of thing, my suggestion is to warranty replace the sucker before it runs out.

spool32 on
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks.

I have enough chops to know what would be involved in diagnosing and fixing an electrical short, but no real shot at doing it myself. I have submitted a warranty claim.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had the same thing happen with a 24in acer, but it took 2 years. Damn menu popped up during a WoW raid. It kept getting worse, so I bought a new 24 and moved it over for use of watching netflix while playing games. Eventually the back light burned out and I took the damned thing apart. Hope warrantee covers yours.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.