Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The [Doctor Who] Thread

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
(parts of OP stolen mercilessly from Bethryn's)

Okay! Right, first, general background!
Wikipedia wrote:
Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as "the Doctor" who travels in his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, solving problems, facing monsters and righting wrongs.

The current TARDIS crew:
Spoiler:

I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! [How to Watch]
Americans/Canadians: REJOICE. The BBC, in its infinite wisdom, is no longer delaying the airing of new episodes on our side of the pond. (Well, technically, they still are, but it's in terms of hours instead of weeks.)

Americans: BBC America, Saturdays, 9 PM EST
Canadians: Space, Saturdays, 8 PM ET
Britons: BBC1, Saturdays, 6 PM BST

Now, I can't check the scanner... [if you don't own a TV...]
Unless my math is wrong: people watching in standard definition should go with an iTunes season pass. People who want high-def goodness should go with an Amazon VOD subscription.
Spoiler:

Time isn't a straight line, it's all bumpy-wumpy. [Delays for digital subscribers]
The delay appears to be about 9 hours from the end of the episode for it to hit Amazon/iTunes.

Shouldn't that be 13, and not 7?
iTunes and Amazon are billing this as "Doctor Who Season 6 (Part 1)", in light of the fact that it's being split in half: we get seven episodes, with a midseason break after (I believe) June 11, and the show returning in the fall.

The Oncoming Storm: Trailers (and a mini-episode!)

Spoiler:

Jacobkosh on
·

• Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    You all caught up now, Jake?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ·
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 Registered User
    edited May 2011
    WOOHOO THREAD REGENERATION!!

Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
    ·
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope this regeneration gets over it's guilt from the tragedy of the Torchwood.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.

PSN: QuipFilter
    ·
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2011

Not yet, no. It's been nonstop home repair week at Casa de la Jacobkosh and part of me figures the longer I wait to watch Saturday's ep, the less annoying the cliffhanger wait will be.

·
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope this regeneration gets over it's guilt from the tragedy of the Torchwood.

Cocaine Hamster thread has it's own drawbacks.

steam_sig.png
    ·
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A Good Man Goes to War cast list is up and boy is it weird already.
    Spoiler:

Only Cis Lords deal in absolutes
    ·
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Not yet, no. It's been nonstop home repair week at Casa de la Jacobkosh and part of me figures the longer I wait to watch Saturday's ep, the less annoying the cliffhanger wait will be.

That's probably not a bad idea.

Jump in here when you catch up, I'd like to comb over the episode with you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ·
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New thread! Every time I read this thread I will listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80pc9jZ_t8

izIzPBqPr5m8v.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    ·
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    A Good Man Goes to War cast list is up and boy is it weird already.
    Spoiler:

A Good Man goes to war spoilers:
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    ·
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hm. I might have to take time off from the Who thread if spoilers for episode 7 are floating around, because I'd rather approach that one totally clean, aside from the NEXT TIME trailer (which I can never resist watching).

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/Nintendo Network: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075 | backloggery
    oE0mva1.jpg
    ·
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i thought it was
    Spoiler:

what is going onnn

·
    edited May 2011
    Hm. I might have to take time off from the Who thread if spoilers for episode 7 are floating around, because I'd rather approach that one totally clean, aside from the NEXT TIME trailer (which I can never resist watching).

I agree! I don't mind the trailers, those are controlled spoilers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ·
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't seen those for two-part episodes since Series 1. I thought they stopped doing them when people complained they gave too much away of the second part.

RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    ·
    edited May 2011
    they usually have them on after the credits instead to give you enough time to change the channel.

·
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not so sure a break from June to September is much better than a break from July to December, in regards to the series-splitting going on this year.

But I'll take it. Just like I waited through the almost one year wait for BSG.

·
  • GatsbyGatsby ElsewhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well remember we're most likely also getting Sherlock in between that break so the way I see it most of the year is Moffat and Gatis.

Steam ID
    Friend Code: 2766 - 9202 - 0140
    ·
    edited May 2011
    i think it is, remember theres a full 6 episodes to go from september, that leaves one or two months for the special and then back to april again for next series, it spaces it all out nicely, plus torchwood in-between for those who care.

·
    edited May 2011
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Well remember we're most likely also getting Sherlock in between that break so the way I see it most of the year is Moffat and Gatis.

is that actually a full series this time or are they going with the 3 feature length episodes again? not sure how i feel about that. :?

·
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    who's captain avery and toby?

·
    edited May 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    who's captain avery and toby?
    Spoiler:

·
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

is that actually a full series this time or are they going with the 3 feature length episodes again? not sure how i feel about that. :?

3 feature length episodes
    Spoiler:

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/Nintendo Network: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075 | backloggery
    oE0mva1.jpg
    ·
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Spoiler:

Doesnt Holmes die in the Hound of the Baskervilles (the books, not the new series) ?

steam_sig.png

·
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know those spoilers for A Good Man Goes to War probably aren't really that "spoilery", but I'm not clicking 'cause I'd like to go in with absolutely zero idea of what to expect.

But, oh geez it is so hard.

worldorder_zpse336707a.jpg
    ·
    edited May 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

Spoiler:

Doesnt Holmes die in the Hound of the Baskervilles (the books, not the new series) ?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: It was published while Holmes was supposed to be dead, but took place before The Final Problem (the story where he "dies")

oE0mva1.jpg
    ·
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So thanks to iTunes I'm now caught and actually ahead of Saturday's episode (it is Rebel Flesh, right?)

Do we have 1 episode left after this week or 2?

newSig.jpg
    ·
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    So thanks to iTunes I'm now caught and actually ahead of Saturday's episode (it is Rebel Flesh, right?)

Do we have 1 episode left after this week or 2?

After this week's, there is only one left of this half.

worldorder_zpse336707a.jpg
    ·
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Last week's episode was Rebel Flesh. This week's is "The Almost People", and then there's one more after that before the break.

izIzPBqPr5m8v.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    ·
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man those ep.7 spoilers confused me - I forgot there was supposed to be pt.II of the Rebel Flesh tomorrow.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    ·
  • PhailPhail Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Man, that last trailer there has so many parts from the upcoming ep and the mid season finale, I almost regret watching it :(

·
  • 21stCentury21stCentury "Jim winks" -Jim Darkmagic *~Have a Magical Day™~*Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    wheres the new trailer?

·
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited May 2011

For all intents and purposes, that is a full series. 6 episodes is a full length series over there, and Sherlock is just 3 double-length episodes (ie: full series).

sig_megas_armed.jpg
    ·
  • silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Tried to post this last night, I got hit with the server busies, but this interview has cemented my crush on Karen Gillan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWnSOZ83Qg4&feature=share

·
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Last week's episode was Rebel Flesh. This week's is "The Almost People", and then there's one more after that before the break.

are you watching it on a different channel?

BBCA isnt showing the second half until next week, june 4th.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
    ·
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited May 2011
    No break for the Englanders.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
    ·
  • PhailPhail Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Nah, no new trailer. Just the last trailer in the first post. The 'Hello sweetie' one, it has so many clips from things we haven't seen yet.

·
    edited May 2011

yes there is.

edit: oh you mean bbca is skipping a week? thought you meant the big season split.

·
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Well, that sucks.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
    ·
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, tomorrow we see if Graham can pull of those ambitious ideas.
    Hoping he can.

·
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright Mr. Smith. I just finished season 4 + The End of Time. Don't let me down!

·
This discussion has been closed.