As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MY BODY IS READY

BTW
    melody pond - a melody is like a song, a pond is like a river, river song

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meh episode, but nice reveal at the end.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well that was fucking shit. Spoilers:
    Seven weeks ago people said 'The girl in the space suit is River!' and 'River is Amy's daughter' and I thought that was a load of fan ficy bollucks and that Moffat will have something much better planned. Something really great. Nope.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When
    River was talking to the Doctor, I was expecting the reveal to be that she's the Doctor's mother.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really liked that episode. I mean the spoilery stuff was kind of obvious, but it's still really nice.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    When
    River was talking to the Doctor, I was expecting the reveal to be that she's the Doctor's mother.
    I thought that, but then immediately discounted it due to squick.

Also,
    River can regenerate!

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My mind is full of fuck.
    I totally called it though.

klokateer9047 on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved that.

I like this whole arc. It's a particularly interesting response to RTD being so into the whole "Oncoming Storm" thing.

japan on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The title of the next episode.

Oh my yes!.

Lave II on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty lame episode after a promising start.
    Smith was a lot more intense last week, the pacing was eh, the setup was weak, the Doctor did some dumb shit and the reveal was awfully predictable.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, after:
    The Doctor tricked all the Clerics into disarming themselves and that's when the Silurians (sp?) appeared I didn't enjoy it so much. The headless monks were a suitably cool and freaky effect that would have scared little children but.... God I just hated that bloody ending so much.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I completely forgot but
    Sontarans...lactate?

klokateer9047 on

• Options
    TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a hunch there's going to be more to it than that.
    Unless Moffat has realised the ultimate Moffat unexpected swerve would be for there not to be a Moffat unexpected swerve.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Obviously, spoilers.
    Seeing Melody Pond on the cradle made it kinda obvious what the final reveal was going to be, so I think they misjudged how much impact it would actually have.

I enjoyed the episode, and am glad I have remained spoiler free up till now. Still, it wasn't quite as epic as I was hoping.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have a hunch there's going to be more to it than that.
    Unless Moffat has realised the ultimate Moffat unexpected swerve would be for there not to be a Moffat unexpected swerve.

He already tweeted yesterday that
    we would find out who River was
    , but then suggested that this is not the question we're really asking.

Devious bastard.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I completely forgot but
    Sontarans...lactate?

He mentioned he had undergone genetic splicing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought it was a weak episode but a good enough twist. Doctor showed off a far greater darkness to him than he normally does.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what time does the hd version of the ep usually go up on iplayer? last time i didnt watch live the hd was on at around 9ish and not there.. pondering waiting until it is, at least an hour maybe.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A lot of good moments, I felt. I much prefer Moffat's take on doing "epic" episodes (over cerebral ones) because of how he tends not to have horrible Deus Ex Machinae.

So, various bits and pieces;

Father Octavian was pleased to meet the Doctor. He's from the same religious military unit that is presently headed by Kovarian and Runaway. So what happened there?

There's still loads of stuff hanging over from the first episode. How do the Silence tie in to kidnapping Amy? Why are they raising River? Why does River escape the suit when flesh!Amy is captured by the Silence, and moreover, what caused River to regenerate? Likewise, was there a reason why she apparently didn't in the Library.

I'm fine with the reveal. Sure it's not a massive, overwrought-but-elegant twist as might be expected, but it opens up a lot possibilities more than it closes.

Also, massive awkwardness in knowing that your kid's boytoy is going to be the Doctor. 8D

The Doctor and Silurian Samurai working out when the baby was conceived was funny. A bit sad to see Jorian and the Lauren(?) soldier go.

The whole Doctor/Great Warrior thing is the only part I felt was really sloppy. The Doctor does his best almost all the time to try and solve things without trouble. Even River jabbing him on this is silly.

Let's Kill Hitler.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So...
    The general viewer opinion seems to be that it was crap? Because I rather enjoyed it. The whole Melody Pond = River Song thing was a little obvious. Everyone I know has been saying that they thought the girl in the spacesuit was River, but the reveal was beautifully executed and still felt very emotional. Plus the Flesh Baby twist was heart breaking.

Igort on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Igort wrote: »
    So...
    The general viewer opinion seems to be that it was crap? Because I rather enjoyed it. The whole Melody Pond = River Song thing was a little obvious. Everyone I know has been saying that they thought the girl in the spacesuit was River, but the reveal was beautifully executed and still felt very emotional. Plus the Flesh Baby twist was heart breaking.

I loved it. Generally crap my ass. People are just annoyed they speculated the shit out themselves before watching the episode so there was no way they'd be surprised.

Although
    I don't know if this means anything, but didn't the Valeyard become jack the ripper at some point? I thought that was interesting that the silurian killed him. Have the Silurian and Jenny been in an episode before that I don't remember? And the Sontaran?

Also, just because it was confusing
    Totally thought River was the doctor's mom. Then I remembered the kissing thing. Interesting that it was the Doctor's name on the crib.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Igort wrote: »
    Plus the Flesh Baby twist was heart breaking.
    Yeah, I felt this too. Karen Gillan really did well again (first episode of this season also showed she's great at grief).

Oh, that's what I meant to write.
    This might put a super-massive twist on River Song making sure they burn Doctor 1100's body.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked it, but it was very much part of a larger storyline.
    Not much of a war, though, except the cyberfleet

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had a huge grin on my face for half this episode, I enjoyed pretty much all of it. I guess the Reveal fell a little flat but I have a sneaking suspicion that Moffat's up to something...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    A lot of good moments, I felt. I much prefer Moffat's take on doing "epic" episodes (over cerebral ones) because of how he tends not to have horrible Deus Ex Machinae.

So, various bits and pieces;

Father Octavian was pleased to meet the Doctor. He's from the same religious military unit that is presently headed by Kovarian and Runaway. So what happened there?

There's still loads of stuff hanging over from the first episode. How do the Silence tie in to kidnapping Amy? Why are they raising River? Why does River escape the suit when flesh!Amy is captured by the Silence, and moreover, what caused River to regenerate? Likewise, was there a reason why she apparently didn't in the Library.

I'm fine with the reveal. Sure it's not a massive, overwrought-but-elegant twist as might be expected, but it opens up a lot possibilities more than it closes.

Also, massive awkwardness in knowing that your kid's boytoy is going to be the Doctor. 8D

The Doctor and Silurian Samurai working out when the baby was conceived was funny. A bit sad to see Jorian and the Lauren(?) soldier go.

The whole Doctor/Great Warrior thing is the only part I felt was really sloppy. The Doctor does his best almost all the time to try and solve things without trouble. Even River jabbing him on this is silly.

Let's Kill Hitler.

Haven't seen the episode yet (BBCAAAAAAAAA!!!!!), but regarding
    River not regenerating in the Library in series 4, they seemed to indicate that the Doctor only had a small chance of surviving it himself. River seemed convinced it was lethal enough to the point it'd kill him outright, no chance even for Regeneration. Hence back then (or... in the future, technically) her telling the Doctor that he dare not change one thing, not one single thing and take away their time together by doing something that'd kill him permanently, after he basically says it's okay if *he* dies, because time can be re-written.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I really have no idea how anybody could think this episode is anything short of AMAZING.

klokateer9047 on

• Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The episode was pretty decent; I would've enjoyed it more, but my friend caught the hint that
    Melody Pond = River Song

and said it out loud before the show could, so it kinda fell flat on me. Also, wasn't really digging the music in this episode and it kinda felt like it didn't really fit the mood in places.

Still, great acting from Smith, and the bit at the beginning with Rory was fantastic. Looking forward to the next half!

chidona on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heh. I love that
    Moffat's still playing with the whole "Rory is 2000 years old" thing - like when Amy's talking to the kid and saying that someone's coming to save them and he's really old and he's her father and then they cut to *sonic screwdriver noise* and its..Rory the Roman!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heh.

A Good Man Goes To War
    "I don't know why you put up with me."
    *super massive tongue flick*
    *meaningful look*

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heh.

A Good Man Goes To War
    "I don't know why you put up with me."
    *super massive tongue flick*
    *meaningful look*

I giggled.
    If there were any one watching with me I would have *nudge nudge wink wink*

Igort on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    here's the incredibly brief and mildly upsetting teaser for the next half of the season.

edit: oh, and this in no way spoils A Good Man Goes to War.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more I think about it

A Good Man Goes To War
    The more okay I am with this episode. Sure, I was a bit dissapointed with the reveal, but it beats the hell out of our other major option: Melody Pond being the Doctor's daughter. (Also, major points to Moffat for the "it's mine" line. Holy shit, that man.) And besides that, it kind of wraps up half the story arc real nicely. The beginning of the season starts with the mystery girl, the "impossible astronaut." Then we spend most of the following season establishing who that girl is and how she ended up in enemy hands. So basically that half of the story is over with this episode. The next half will presumably be concerning The Doctor saving River after the events of the season intro. That works pretty well for me. Solid narrative, imo.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guess what I saw on my Facebook feed minutes before I started watching on iPlayer?
    Should probably only click this if you've seen the episode:
    Some Douchebag: That Doctor Who was rather alarming, really. But wasn't it obvious when River turned up that she was the daughter?

I mean, for fuck's sake. I didn't scroll down enough to see if people were saying, "Ha, good guess," or, "Yeah, I thought that too," so I semi-convinced myself that I couldn't know for sure, but it became pretty damn obvious.

Really enjoyed it, nonetheless. That was one hell of a cold open.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good man spoilers:
    Like others, for a split second I thought River was his mother, but then remembered the kiss.

I'm probably the only one who thought this one, but for the next split second, I thought she might have been the Doctor himself. Insane as that might be. I kinda figured that only the Doctor would get a kick out of making out with himself.

Also, did anybody initially think that the girl soldier might have been a young River, or even Melody (obviously before you find out the twist at the end... wibbly wobbly)? First I thought she might be the daughter, the way she seemed distraught over Amy's situation. Then when they go on about how she met the Doctor before, and she's from some forest, and the whole forest/river thing, I thought she might be a young River. Guess she is just some random girl though.

Well whatever. I liked it well enough. That opening was freaking badass though.

"Would you like me to repeat the question?"

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PhailPhail Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Would you like me to repeat the question?"

Best line ever.

Phail on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was I crazy to think one of the fobs on the mobile of the cot was a fragment from Adric's star?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Was I crazy to think one of the fobs on the mobile of the cot was a fragment from Adric's star?
    Yes.
    No.
    Who?

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    2 other random thoughts that just popped into my head now.
    The forest people don't have a word for pond, so she wrote River. Well... apparently they don't have a word for melody either? Why wasn't that technically not brought up.

And... this also technically means that River Song's name is backwards. It should be Song River. :P

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    2 other random thoughts that just popped into my head now.
    The forest people don't have a word for pond, so she wrote River. Well... apparently they don't have a word for melody either? Why wasn't that technically not brought up.

And... this also technically means that River Song's name is backwards. It should be Song River. :P
    I'm now wondering if they will keep calling her Melody, or just give up and call her River from now on.

Rhesus Positive on
This discussion has been closed.