As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A big ball of spoilery woilery, confusey wusey...stuff.

Okay I'm getting my seasons mixed up my brain hurts now let's all just drop it.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    HEY LOOK HERE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

trustme1.jpg

Gatsby on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Best moment of the newest episode:

Do we tend to say "yowza"?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Looking back on it I love that the Doctor kept saying ring ring expecting the phone call at any second, but of course was just off by a few moments.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    PhailPhail Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For those who haven't seen, Confidential has given us another awesome montage. Also I think it contains a couple of scenes from the most recent ep, so you might not want to watch it if you haven't seen today's.

Phail on
  • Options
    TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's cheating. If you played that song over footage of a meercat and a duck-billed platypus in a clown suit having a custard pie fight, it would still make me cry.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Argh, I want to watch the prequel so badly.
    For those of you who have seen it, do you think it'd be better to watch episode 7 without having seen the prequel or does the prequel add something to episode 7 that one would lose out on?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The prequel doesn't really reveal anything you don't already know in my opinion, other than that a minor character from season 5 is returning.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A question about the final scene because someone decided to start talking to me as it went on.
    Was that some sort of test with the Flesh Doctor and Flesh Amy accepting him as the real Doctor? Was he not going to destroy her if she treated them both equally?
    The way he words it, the entire trip was so he could observe the flesh in its "early days" and figure out how to sever the connection between flesh and person. He even says he did plan on dropping Amy and Rory off for fish and chips, but "shenanigans" happened.

So no, I don't think it was to get buddy-buddy with the flesh and vice versa. Just one big trip to figure out how to make the screwdriver make them go splat.
    But that doesn't explain why he deceived Amy. There was definitely some sort of "test" going on, but I don't think he was testing Amy, was he? He was trying to figure something out about the differences between originals and flesh clones, and I'm not sure I completely grasped what that was.

Also, some blatant foreshadowing:
    He mentioned a few times near the episode's end that there might be some way back for the dissolved clones. Good money's on the return of FleshDoctor, and FleshAmy as well, later this season.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    A question about the final scene because someone decided to start talking to me as it went on.
    Was that some sort of test with the Flesh Doctor and Flesh Amy accepting him as the real Doctor? Was he not going to destroy her if she treated them both equally?
    The way he words it, the entire trip was so he could observe the flesh in its "early days" and figure out how to sever the connection between flesh and person. He even says he did plan on dropping Amy and Rory off for fish and chips, but "shenanigans" happened.

So no, I don't think it was to get buddy-buddy with the flesh and vice versa. Just one big trip to figure out how to make the screwdriver make them go splat.
    But that doesn't explain why he deceived Amy. There was definitely some sort of "test" going on, but I don't think he was testing Amy, was he? He was trying to figure something out about the differences between originals and flesh clones, and I'm not sure I completely grasped what that was.

Also, some blatant foreshadowing:
    He mentioned a few times near the episode's end that there might be some way back for the dissolved clones. Good money's on the return of FleshDoctor, and FleshAmy as well, later this season.
    I think it was the genuine doctor that died at the start of the series and that he gets replaced by the flesh one who "stabilises" into a normal timelord in the same way the other flesh turned into normal humans.

Casual on
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Almost People ep spoilers:
    I liked how this episode showed the Doctor as just sort of "better" than humans. Yeah sometimes he needs a human perspective to keep him grounded, but in this case he was clearly more highly evolved.

Him and his 'ganger' cooperated perfectly fine to resolve the situation, and on top of that conspired to trick Amy so they could figure out if there really was a difference between the original and the flesh-version when a copy is made.

Meanwhile the humans and their 'gangers' are ready to wipe each other out.
    Actually, I'm half wondering if the shoe swap was to find out if the Flesh were more naturally drawn to each other, regardless of imprinted personality. If the Doctor already knew Amy was Flesh, then what does it mean that she felt a connection to the Flesh Doctor?

And yeah, its good to see how ready the Doctor is to accept a death - though really, couldn't flesh doctor have been saved by having human people hold back the door instead of them, so the screwdriver gets rid of MonsterJennifer and not the others?

Gosprey on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    another further reflection from this week's episode
    "Geronimo" was used in a satisfyingly badass way again

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

That seems to be incredibly cold for the Doctor. Wow.

As opposed to what ?
    I mean even keeping to the new series - three genocides, trapping evil gas beings in toruture chambers for eternity, dropping a dude off a ship for not taking the offer of peace the Doctor is not nice if he doesn't want to be.

Everyone always get a chance to surrender though. Few take it.
    And it's not really cold. He was making sure it wouldn't harm Amy or a sentient being if he blocked the signal. So he splatted her.

Yeah but
    Wasn't it just concluded that the Gangers were every bit as alive as the originals? No chance to surrender. No alternative. . .just. Dead?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    amy's ganger wasn't separated from amy like the gangers in the episode. that was the storm, it gave them their own control. splatting amy's ganger was just "waking" her up

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought that was the season finale, especially due to the no preview. But we get another episode! Super yay!
    I want to see Rory gladius the fuck out of some aliens.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    amy's ganger wasn't separated from amy like the gangers in the episode. that was the storm, it gave them their own control. splatting amy's ganger was just "waking" her up

ahh! now i get it.

thank you

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Asiriya wrote: »
    What was with the eyes on the wall? I missed the first five minutes but they weren't mentioned, she just pokes little fleshy bits on the wall. Did i forget something from last week? Is it something to do with all the flesh bodies we see later?
    Where did those actually come from btw? Are they discarded there when the operator gets out of the cradle?
    Oh god why did you remind me of that? That was the creepiest part of the episode.
    WHY?!?!?!

:lol:

Also I think this episode warrants a
    MOFFFFAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gosprey wrote: »
    Actually, I'm half wondering if the shoe swap was to find out if the Flesh were more naturally drawn to each other, regardless of imprinted personality. If the Doctor already knew Amy was Flesh, then what does it mean that she felt a connection to the Flesh Doctor?

And yeah, its good to see how ready the Doctor is to accept a death - though really, couldn't flesh doctor have been saved by having human people hold back the door instead of them, so the screwdriver gets rid of MonsterJennifer and not the others?
    I thought the swap was the Doctor testing whether a ganger fool would somebody who had as close a relationship as he and Amy had to each other. Amy couldn't distinguish the DoctorGanger/DoctorGoo from the original, which informed the Doctor that he couldn't trust his intuitions about whether Amy was real or a Flesh clone.

RadioElectric on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd think he's just start waving the sonic screwdriver around, then. Just in case.

Anyway, considering the last episode and what we know of the second half of this series/season,
    With Craig from "The Lodger" coming back and the Doctor getting a change in costume, is there a chance that this is the end for Amy/Rory? All of last season was about Amy in a way that I don't think any other season has been: it had a tight arc that was all about who Amy was and how the Doctor had affected her life. What if they find real Amy and she leaves with Rory to raise their real kid and the Doctor takes on Craig as his new companion?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh shit

That ending. Shit.

Now to catch up on pages of spoilers.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    Asiriya wrote: »
    What was with the eyes on the wall? I missed the first five minutes but they weren't mentioned, she just pokes little fleshy bits on the wall. Did i forget something from last week? Is it something to do with all the flesh bodies we see later?
    Where did those actually come from btw? Are they discarded there when the operator gets out of the cradle?
    Oh god why did you remind me of that? That was the creepiest part of the episode.
    WHY?!?!?!
    They could/should have gone further than that... imagine the walls with mouths and long slimy, barbed tongues... Disembodied arms reaching out to grab you... :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd think he's just start waving the sonic screwdriver around, then. Just in case.

Anyway, considering the last episode and what we know of the second half of this series/season,
    With Craig from "The Lodger" coming back and the Doctor getting a change in costume, is there a chance that this is the end for Amy/Rory? All of last season was about Amy in a way that I don't think any other season has been: it had a tight arc that was all about who Amy was and how the Doctor had affected her life. What if they find real Amy and she leaves with Rory to raise their real kid and the Doctor takes on Craig as his new companion?

i dont think you know
    what everyone else knows about the second half of the season.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

i dont think you know
    what everyone else knows about the second half of the season.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.
    I've heard rumblings of a return of the Silence. Also, I'd assume they'd take a bit longer than 1 or 2 episodes to wrap up this Amy thing, and why would Craig ever leave his girlfriend? It's his love for her that saved the world, as it often is on this show.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Episode 6 spoiler:
    Was it just me or did Amy yell at what she thought was the flesh doctor and reveal to the real doctor that she saw him die? That seems to be something that's been overlooked.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    saint2e wrote: »
    Episode 6 spoiler:
    Was it just me or did Amy yell at what she thought was the flesh doctor and reveal to the real doctor that she saw him die? That seems to be something that's been overlooked.
    She did. And it wasn't overlooked, Real Doctor makes a quip about being invited to your own death during his goodbye to Flesh Doctor.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wait, so
    it was the real Doctor who choked her?

He must be a really good actor, then.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, they had already switched shoes at that point. Remember the reason the Doctor went out into the hallway was because he was "upset" so he was already acting at that point. He then happened to learn from Amy in her excitement that she saw him die. So the Doctor now knows.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Yeah, they had already switched shoes at that point. Remember the reason the Doctor went out into the hallway was because he was "upset" so he was already acting at that point. He then happened to learn from Amy in her excitement that she saw him die. So the Doctor now knows.

he even
    makes a crack about it towards the episode's end

Pony on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, so
    Yes, although you have to remember that he's choking a ganger Amy that isn't sentient; just a receiver for Amy's minds.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whats the big deal about...
    the `choke'? Its not like previous Doctors haven't had a manic shout at companions in the past when they've been frustratingly human.

Gosprey on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Indeed.
    Just over a year ago, he yelled, "No one human has anything to say to me today!"

e: And not just to Amy, but to the damn Queen of England, too.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Wait, so
    Yes, although you have to remember that he's choking a ganger Amy that isn't sentient; just a receiver for Amy's minds.

That doesn't make it better.
    It's not like a little bit of choking does permanent damage, even if it was Amy's real body. Amy was upset and hurt because someone (who looks like someone) she trusts betrayed that trust. The emotional and physical pain she felt is very real.

Having said that, I don't think the Doctor was pretending to be slightly insane and manic. He got a psychic impression of what the Flesh went through as it died and died and died. He felt it much stronger than Flesh Doctor, probably because he's a Timelord and therefore somewhat psychic.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Wait, so

That doesn't make it better.
    It's not like a little bit of choking does permanent damage, even if it was Amy's real body. Amy was upset and hurt because someone (who looks like someone) she trusts betrayed that trust. The emotional and physical pain she felt is very real.

Having said that, I don't think the Doctor was pretending to be slightly insane and manic. He got a psychic impression of what the Flesh went through as it died and died and died. He felt it much stronger than Flesh Doctor, probably because he's a Timelord and therefore somewhat psychic.
    Thinking the same
    but that the flesh doctor didn't feel it as strongly because his flesh hadn't yet stabilized. Eventually, the flesh doctor would be a Timelord too.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm a new Doctor Who viewer. I'm barely on season 2 of the current series on Netflix. I see that there are like three Doctor Who movies on Netflix. At what point in the series should I watch them? Are they between season fillers?

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Starfuck wrote: »
    So I'm a new Doctor Who viewer. I'm barely on season 2 of the current series on Netflix. I see that there are like three Doctor Who movies on Netflix. At what point in the series should I watch them? Are they between season fillers?

The "movies" I believe are episode arcs from previous doctors. If you're watching New Who all you have to do is follow the episode line. And Torchwood if you want once that shows up.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There aren't any Who movies in the current series.

Are you talking about The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time? If so, they go after season 4 (and in that order).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Check the OP.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

The order you need to watch, including Torchwood if you so decide, is:

Series 1 (Eccleston)
    Series 2 (Tennant)
    Torchwood 1
    Series 3 (Tennant)
    Torchwood 2
    Series 4 (Tennant)
    Torchwood - Children of Earth
    The Next Doctor
    The Planet of the Dead
    The Waters of Mars
    The End of Time 1 & 2
    Series 5 (Smith)
    Series 6 (Smith)

Any other movies you're talking about would be from previous doctors, and won't have a direct impact on the current series.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, you know you're too into this when your girlfriend brings up the
    Amy's baby is River Song theory and you're just 'No! That's ridiculous!'. To be fair though it is totally ridiculous.

I love/hate Moffat.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Re: the choking -
    The Doctor wasn't choking her, he just slammed her up against the wall. His hands were firmly on her jacket. Also, take into consideration that at various points in the episode Amy has doubled over in pain, at one point saying she must have pulled a muscle - obviously she was going into labour at that point. It's entirely possible that the Doctor didn't actually hurt her but that Amy associated the pain with her (at the time) unknown labour with the Doctor slamming her into a wall.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
This discussion has been closed.