As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I caught a little bit of a slip up in River's timeline, and it's been bugging me. Last season's finale, when she met Rory as a centurion, she had no idea who he was. When she encountered him again in the future when the Pandorica opens and releases Amy, she's all like "Doctor! The centurion!"

Problem is, she's been on adventures already with Rory at that point from her perspective.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When did she read that book?

edit: I know they'd never do it but we never got to see Ten do that picnic with her where he gave her his sonic. It should have happened by now, right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think it was the 10th who gave her the sonic screwdriver. From the way she spoke it was one of the later Doctors who knew her much better.

Seems to imply that they are not totally opposite in their timelines.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, they seemed to imply they were time traveling in opposite directions, but meeting randomly seems to make the most sense. Especially since they have to sync up via journals.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, they seemed to imply they were time traveling in opposite directions, but meeting randomly seems to make the most sense. Especially since they have to sync up via journals.

I still don't understand that. wibbly wobbly i suppose.

But neither of them seems to be regressing so the idea isn't quite fitting into my brain. The more she recognizes him the less he knows her.

fakedit: oh i guess there will be an episode where there is an intimate moment and River is confused.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does the second part of the opener count? I mean she was kinda confused then upset that when she kissed the Doctor it was her last time/his first.

Also, does every Time Lord have a title for a name? The Doctor, The Corsair, The Master....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's been implied before that The Doctor chose to be called that cause he helps people, or something.

But yeah, River already lamented "a time where I'll look into his eyes and he'll have no idea who I am", which happened in The Library.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I believe the doctor and river are only going the opposite way for the most part,There hasn't been an episode yet where river doesn't know absolutely everything about the doctor and I get the feeling that river won't be returning very often once this season is over with but,of course I could be wrong.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    Does the second part of the opener count? I mean she was kinda confused then upset that when she kissed the Doctor it was her last time/his first.

Also, does every Time Lord have a title for a name? The Doctor, The Corsair, The Master....

Borusa, Goth, Romana, Morbius, Omega, Drax, Maxil etc disagree.

Though there were also The Valeyard, The Monk and The Rani.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, my Who experience is pretty much Smith with some later bits of Tennent.

Also I did watch the TV movie on Fox way back in the 90s (so... 8th? Doctor).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

Borusa, Goth, Romana, Morbius, Omega, Drax, Maxil etc disagree.

Though there were also The Valeyard, The Monk and The Rani.

I believe all timelords have a title but only a few actually go by them,I suppose it's like how some people go by their middle-name or even last name because it sounds better.

klokateer9047 on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if they're going to ever tie this in at all. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Jenny

Cause she is running around the galaxy somewhere, right?

Also, eye patch lady said she must be dreaming. In season 5, due to the Dreamlord, Amy is seen to be preggers. I feel as if there is a connection here, but it may be grasping at straws. Intriguing nontheless.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that those titles are for renegade Timelords. That seems consistent with what I've seen. The Monk was clearly far from Gallifrey. The Rani and The Master are definitely evil castoffs. I don't know exactly what the deal was, but The Doctor stole a TARDIS and flew off, presumably to break the laws of non-interference.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I caught a little bit of a slip up in River's timeline, and it's been bugging me. Last season's finale, when she met Rory as a centurion, she had no idea who he was. When she encountered him again in the future when the Pandorica opens and releases Amy, she's all like "Doctor! The centurion!"

Problem is, she's been on adventures already with Rory at that point from her perspective.

dont think it was a slip up, more that she knows shes in reverse order and has to be careful revealing too much of what she already knows so she pretends to act like she has no idea, also its another way of getting out of slipups like this.

it was kinda the same on the opener of this season
    she knows who the astronaut is and why she cant kill it but tries anyway

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that those titles are for renegade Timelords. That seems consistent with what I've seen. The Monk was clearly far from Gallifrey. The Rani and The Master are definitely evil castoffs. I don't know exactly what the deal was, but The Doctor stole a TARDIS and flew off, presumably to break the laws of non-interference.

Omega and Morbius didn't have titles, and The Valeyard wasn't (openly) renegade.

I'm going with this instead:
    Time Lords have an infinite capacity for pretension

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was Omega a known renegade? I thought his becoming trapped in the antimatter universe was the cost of his mission. And then he died trying to escape.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone just pointed me towards this on twitter (I dont know if it is real)

It seems the title for the first episode of the second half of the series has been revealed?

Link in the spoiler for those interested...

OK removed the links to be safe because someone mentioned something about malware/viruses

The title is apparently "Let's Kill Hitler."

What the hell?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Photon wrote: »

It seems the title for the first episode of the second half of the series has been revealed?

What the hell?

Haha, if that's accurate - wow.

Also, rampant speculation about Amy -
    In relation to the Eye-Patch Lady saying she was dreaming, it might be the case that she didn't know FleshAmy was out there with Rory and the Doctor. Maybe somebody managed to plant FleshAmy as a way of leading them to the real Amy, not as a way of hiding her disappearance.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    I don't think it was the 10th who gave her the sonic screwdriver. From the way she spoke it was one of the later Doctors who knew her much better.

Seems to imply that they are not totally opposite in their timelines.

I'm pretty sure it was. I think it's safe to assume 10 an River had at least a couple adventures in that time between Waters of Mars and End of Time. She was just not the least bit surprised to see Tennant, and was absolutely taken aback when he didn't know her.

And she only got the screw driver immediately preceding the events in the Library, which had the sole purpose of protecting her memories upon her death.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What the hell?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Even if 10 saw River a few times, if they are going in opposite directions then the very next time 10 saw River after the Library would be when he took her on that date (already not making sense) or whatever and gave her his screwdriver. That highly advanced screwdriver that is superior to 10's. It doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

From the way River talks, it seems the Doctor she knew for most of her life was older and even more impressive than 10 and 11.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

URLs removed

What the hell?

When I clicked both those links, there was a windows alert sound and a small grey box with text that I stupidly clicked without reading. Firefox then asked me if I wanted to accept a PDF file. I refused. Nevertheless, Microsoft Security Essentials told me that Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.PE was found in my temp folder.

So, think twice before going to those sites. Luckily, MSE caught it before it could do any damage, but it could easily have gone the other way.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

URLs removed

What the hell?

When I clicked both those links, there was a windows alert sound and a small grey box with text that I stupidly clicked without reading. Firefox then asked me if I wanted to accept a PDF file. I refused. Nevertheless, Microsoft Security Essentials told me that Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.PE was found in my temp folder.

So, think twice before going to those sites. Luckily, MSE caught it before it could do any damage, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Huh... am on a mac and have adverts blocked, but i'm pretty sure those are fairly legitimate sites... maybe an ad doing something nasty? Will edit my original post.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Absolutely nothing happened on my PC, but I do run Adblock in Firefox.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nothing happened for me, but I'm running Opera, which seems to protect me from a lot of this shit.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nothing happened for me, but I'm using chrome.

I think we can safely conclude good browsers stopped anything bad from happening.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if its the title i think you guys are talking about
    lets kill hitler
    apparantly its just a test title for a screener

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm using Firefox 4 with Adblock plus, not IE6 if that's what you're thinking.

Anyway, I tried clicking those two links another few times after I got the MSE warning, and nothing happened, so maybe it was a one-time thing. Who knows. I thought warning you guys was the neighborly thing to do, just in case.

So, that's that, I guess. Nothing to see here. Go about your business.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

OK removed the links to be safe because someone mentioned something about malware/viruses

The title is apparently "Let's Kill Hitler."

What the hell?

That may be the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finally, the Doctor is using his time machine to settle that argument once and for all.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Even if 10 saw River a few times, if they are going in opposite directions then the very next time 10 saw River after the Library would be when he took her on that date (already not making sense) or whatever and gave her his screwdriver. That highly advanced screwdriver that is superior to 10's. It doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

From the way River talks, it seems the Doctor she knew for most of her life was older and even more impressive than 10 and 11.

I always had a little bit of a problem with how she acts in the library.
    She says she has pictures of all the Doctor's regenerations. One would presume in order and given/shown by the Doctor himself. Given that, you would think that she would have instantly freaked out a bit upon calling for him, and seeing Ten answer the call. It is (as far as we know) the only time River meets Ten, so she should have known instantly that something was wrong.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

She says she has pictures of all the Doctor's regenerations. One would presume in order and given/shown by the Doctor himself. Given that, you would think that she would have instantly freaked out a bit upon calling for him, and seeing Ten answer the call. It is (as far as we know) the only time River meets Ten, so she should have known instantly that something was wrong.

I think the problem with the whole River thing is that, according to Moffat, she was originally a one-off character that he then liked so much he brought back. I think that's why there's sometimes a disconnect between the Library episodes and later ones.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There was also Tennant's hesitation about when to leave the programme. Had he stayed at least one more series, their interaction in the Library may have had less niggles.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »

I think the problem with the whole River thing is that, according to Moffat, she was originally a one-off character that he then liked so much he brought back. I think that's why there's sometimes a disconnect between the Library episodes and later ones.

Oh absolutely, I don't hold anything against the writers. Inherent problem with writing with prequels and the like. And then Moffat cranks it up to 11 with River. Unless he's a genius and had a "River bible" all laid out back then, there's bound to be some minor errors.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

To be fair this could be the Doctor deliberating acting to complete time loops it turns out he started and thus should finish.

i.e. in the Pandorica episode
    Like, there are 3-4 separate pre-destination paradoxes that the Doctor finds the end of, then deliberately goes back and starts.

So it's entirely possible that some time after The Library, 10 deliberately went and got a much more advanced sonic screw driver (he time travels, which one he has is pretty much personal preference) then took River on that date, to make sure the time loop was closed.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »

Oh absolutely, I don't hold anything against the writers. Inherent problem with writing with prequels and the like. And then Moffat cranks it up to 11 with River. Unless he's a genius and had a "River bible" all laid out back then, there's bound to be some minor errors.

I read an interesting quote about that from Alex Kingston in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine:
    "I assumed that it was a two-episode story arc" she says, shaking her head, "and that was it. It was David Tennant's last season, and then there was a year break, so I didn't know for a long time. When I got the call to say they wanted to write more episodes for River and asking if I'd be interested - because it was only upon me saying 'yes' that she'd be brought back - I had a long conversation with Steven [Moffat, showrunner], and he said that he'd always, from when he first created River,intended her to come back. He knew her trajectory from the outset, but he kept it all very close to his chest, as Steven does."

Igort on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first teaser clip for AGMGTW has a classic "I'm sorry?!" from Rory.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So if the rumors are correct we should be finding out river's true identity at the very end of the episode, which suprises me since moffat just loves his cliffhangers.
    I'm still super pissed that america is a week behind on the series though...

klokateer9047 on

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A reveal can be a cliffhanger, though. Think about the end of pretty much any pre-credits sequence in the show. We'll often see the baddie's face for the first time right before the cutaway, for instance.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    lukestokeslukestokes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://bbc.in/jc887g
    Quite interesting. Confirms the Doctor finds out who River is. Also, who the hell's that other woman?

lukestokes on
This discussion has been closed.