As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] you, you tall people. you suck.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    desc wrote: »
    What is it about height that is so irresistible to [chat]

Massive inferiority complexes, mostly.

I guess it would be weird if displaced self-hatred weren't behind a popular chat topic.

desc on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In all honesty, the only reason my brain activity spikes when a height discussion starts is because this terrible girl that I was in love with my entire college career ruined me.

We were inseparable, the best of friends, and even flirted with the idea of dating once or twice. Went out on dates and stuff. Essentially I was her boyfriend with no perks of being someone's boyfriend. I finally confronted her one day, and was like, what gives, we obviously work super well together.

She told me I was too short and that she didn't like my hair.

I mean of course I realized she was a super terrible person but I still get flashes of insecurity from that some 3-4 years later.

My ex was really only attracted to taller people; it was one of my major attractions for her.

I'm also seeing her tomorrow, and I think we might hook up. I might be a fucking drunken wreck next week.

Look out!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also I don't think its a necessity to share bisexuality with an exclusive partner but I'd imagine your sexuality is something that is important to you.

It seems counterintuitive to not bring it up.

When I RA'd in college I was always asked the question in training sessions "Does a roommate have the right to know if his or her roommate is gay"

And everyone would say no and then I'd say yes and everyone would glare at me and I'd be like "listen, I'm not saying they need to come out to their roommate day one but if you're living with someone for a year it seems fair that you two would discuss that."

I agree, if only so you can find out if you have a homophobic roommate and get swapped for one who wouldn't be offended by potential partners you bring by.

This was exactly the point I'd close on when other students would challenge me on it.

I'd be like "Both parties have a right to be comfortable in their own living space. If living with a gay person makes somebody uncomfortable, regardless of if they are a homophobic shitbird or not, they should have the right to walking away from the situation. And it will save everyone a lot of problems in the future"

I can understand your point, but there are times that someone may remained closeted for what they feel are good reasons. And some of this is generational but when I was becoming an active member of the LGBT community, you didn't out someone. It was considered a terrible thing to do because of the potential safety risk.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I'm two inches short of six foot. It kills me.

i'm six inches short of two feet

i wear it like a belt

Organichu on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Being short is like being a black person. We're slaves to taller people and they like to rattle the chain to remind us of that fact.

MY NAME IS KUNTA KINTE!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bunion is the stupidest word.

It is ugly, its etymology is dumb and I hate everything about it.

Hallux valgus isn't a lot better but at least it is descriptive.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried to get into LGBT activism at my university during my first year and I got rejected pretty hard. It was mortifying and soured me on the entire thing. I recognize that York University students have a reputation for being extreme and kind of dickheads about activism and those problems probably don't extend to the entire base of activists, but I just felt so extremely unwelcome that I wouldn't want to replicate that experience.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bunion? You mean the sandwhich topping? What's wrong with it?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Bunion is the stupidest word.

It is ugly, its etymology is dumb and I hate everything about it.

Hallux valgus isn't a lot better but at least it is descriptive.

Welcome to bunion country.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried to get into LGBT activism at my university during my first year and I got rejected pretty hard.

Insufficient levels of L, G, B and/or T?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    In all honesty, the only reason my brain activity spikes when a height discussion starts is because this terrible girl that I was in love with my entire college career ruined me.

We were inseparable, the best of friends, and even flirted with the idea of dating once or twice. Went out on dates and stuff. Essentially I was her boyfriend with no perks of being someone's boyfriend. I finally confronted her one day, and was like, what gives, we obviously work super well together.

I mean of course I realized she was a super terrible person but I still get flashes of insecurity from that some 3-4 years later.
    My ex was really only attracted to taller people; it was one of my major attractions for her.

I'm also seeing her tomorrow, and I think we might hook up. I might be a fucking drunken wreck next week.

Look out!

Podly, I don't doubt that out in the wide world, there are some straight/bi women who really have a thing for short guys but I'm guessing they are a minority.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Also I don't think its a necessity to share bisexuality with an exclusive partner but I'd imagine your sexuality is something that is important to you.

It seems counterintuitive to not bring it up.

When I RA'd in college I was always asked the question in training sessions "Does a roommate have the right to know if his or her roommate is gay"

And everyone would say no and then I'd say yes and everyone would glare at me and I'd be like "listen, I'm not saying they need to come out to their roommate day one but if you're living with someone for a year it seems fair that you two would discuss that."

I agree, if only so you can find out if you have a homophobic roommate and get swapped for one who wouldn't be offended by potential partners you bring by.

This was exactly the point I'd close on when other students would challenge me on it.

I'd be like "Both parties have a right to be comfortable in their own living space. If living with a gay person makes somebody uncomfortable, regardless of if they are a homophobic shitbird or not, they should have the right to walking away from the situation. And it will save everyone a lot of problems in the future"

I can understand your point, but there are times that someone may remained closeted for what they feel are good reasons. And some of this is generational but when I was becoming an active member of the LGBT community, you didn't out someone. It was considered a terrible thing to do because of the potential safety risk.

Oh absolutely of course, Thom. I should've clarified. I was talking about someone who was openly LGBT. Obviously if someone was not ready to come out yet he or she has neither has an obligation nor should be pressured to come out to a complete stranger.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching this documentary on Scott Walker, and I'm being reminded why I hate singer-songwriters and baby boomer vocalists.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I tried to get into LGBT activism at my university during my first year and I got rejected pretty hard.

They were not impressed with a girl who's experience with bisexuality was having a poly relationship in high school. The term 'barsexual' was used.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching this documentary on Scott Walker, and I'm being reminded why I hate singer-songwriters and baby boomer vocalists.

The wisconsin governor? What's the documentary how he forged the one ring and the free peoples rose up against him?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I tried to get into LGBT activism at my university during my first year and I got rejected pretty hard. It was mortifying and soured me on the entire thing. I recognize that York University students have a reputation for being extreme and kind of dickheads about activism and those problems probably don't extend to the entire base of activists, but I just felt so extremely unwelcome that I wouldn't want to replicate that experience.

That can happen sometimes. I assume you were joining as part of the Bs?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

They were not impressed with a girl who's experience with bisexuality was having a poly relationship in high school. The term 'barsexual' was used.

Today I learned a term called "bisexual erasure."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't think there are many girls who are like "yeah throw some shawtys at me". Essentially we're going to have a case where taller people are going to mate with taller people and shorter with shorter. This will cause a great rift, and only the strong will survive.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think that people should keep their sexual proclivities in the bedroom and only discuss such things with their sexual partners.

I'm not sure how they're going to find sexual partners since they can't discuss their sexual proclivities with anybody they're not yet having sex with, but that's not really my problem.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    shaz, the 'after' pic makes me think of you

probably because i'm racist

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=688052881&postcount=8587

Organichu on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Today I learned a term called "bisexual erasure."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMeUPFjQHc

Elendil on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So they wouldn't have you for insufficient sexual experience? Then I suppose their outreach efforts don't extend to gay kids in high school who have yet to sleep with a dude.

Defining sexuality by sexual history is dumb.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Oh, nothing like good old bisexual erasure. Yeah, I used to run into that a lot when I was more politically active. Got tired of fighting it, so now I just donate money.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bunion? You mean the sandwhich topping? What's wrong with it?

That's totally what bunion doesn't mean.

edit: which just proves how terrible a word it is. Fuckers don't know what it means.

Daxon on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm not sufficiently queer enough to penetrate (lol) a lot of queer-positive & sex-positive communities in San Francisco, either. So high-five.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Didn't know what a bunion was. My guesses:

Onion bun?
    Union bum?

Sadly neither were true. Reality disappoints yet again.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The wisconsin governor? What's the documentary how he forged the one ring and the free peoples rose up against him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Walker_(singer)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I think that people should keep their sexual proclivities in the bedroom and only discuss such things with their sexual partners.

I'm not sure how they're going to find sexual partners since they can't discuss their sexual proclivities with anybody they're not yet having sex with, but that's not really my problem.

"Hi I'm gay, now bite the pillow".

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't think there are many girls who are like "yeah throw some shawtys at me". Essentially we're going to have a case where taller people are going to mate with taller people and shorter with shorter. This will cause a great rift, and only the strong will survive.

Its why any child of mine I'm training to live off the land and be able to do the take down from empire strikes back.

WOLVERINES!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My college was pretty unanimously ranked as one of the most LGBT friendly campuses in the country. Most people were pretty cool with whatever, so it never really became a problem.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Nope, because short women love tall guys too. Leigh loves the fact that she can wear crazy heels around me and still be shorter then me.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Its why any child of mine I'm training to live off the land and be able to do the take down from empire strikes back.

WOLVERINES!

let me be the eccentric uncle, preach

we'll raise a true man
    fair warning: i'll probably molest the kid

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Is it Scott Walker: 30 Century Man? Because I've always kind of wanted to watch it and just never have.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Look out!

Nice -- looking forward to your neo-Cure / Depeche Mode-esque weepy music the week after that.

desc on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's true, all the ladies like tall guys

and guys generally like both petite and model-tall women

the really disadvantaged people are tall women who don't like shorter guys and short guys, poor bastards. i guess they live longer though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Nope, because short women love tall guys too. Leigh loves the fact that she can wear crazy heels around me and still be shorter then me.

So what you're telling me, Thom...is that I'm going to die alone.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    let me be the eccentric uncle, preach

we'll raise a true man
    fair warning: i'll probably molest the kid

The only people from this board that will ever know a kid of mine is AH, Nocturne (well if he was still alive god rest him), and maybe Jacob if I haven't killed him by then.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's true, all the ladies like tall guys

and guys generally like both petite and model-tall women

the really disadvantaged people are tall women who don't like shorter guys and short guys, poor bastards. i guess they live longer though.

if you can call that living

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Is it Scott Walker: 30 Century Man? Because I've always kind of wanted to watch it and just never have.

Yup. I'm ambivalent about everything in it, but that's the theoretical personae in me really getting bitten by it

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Oh, nothing like good old bisexual erasure. Yeah, I used to run into that a lot when I was more politically active. Got tired of fighting it, so now I just donate money.

When I go to class I wear huge baggy sweaters or nerd t-shirts and sweat pants and flip flops because if I'm going to be sitting in a shitty plastic chair for six hours a day I'm going to be comfortable otherwise. It is a dress style that has been described as 'kind of dykey'. When you combine this with the fact that I am loud as fuck in tutorials for dem participation marks, and bringing up feminism/politics all the time, a LOT of girls thought I was gay. And a LOT of girls hit on me. I was like Baby's First Lesbian. It was terrifying.

In retrospect, considering this, I should have told the LGBT activists that I was doing more for converting girls to lesbianism than they could ever dreamed of, but it is too late now

Plus I think one of them might have hit me

This discussion has been closed.