As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Wargames should be fun and played in a place that is awesome with good people

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Should finally be starting on my guard army this week.
    Company Command Squad
    - Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken
    - Laspistols
    - Medi-pack
    - Regimental standard
    - Flamer
    - Meltagun
    - Camo cloaks
    - Officer of the Fleet
    - 2 Bodyguards

Ratling Squad (3)

Guardsman Marbo

Veteran Squad
    - Gunnery Sergeant Harker
    - Shotguns
    - Flamer
    - 2 Meltaguns
    - Demolitions

Veteran Squad (X5)
    - Shotguns
    - Flamer
    - 2 Meltaguns
    - Forward Sentries

Scout Sentinel Squadron (2)
    - Heavy flamer

Scout Sentinel Squadron (2)
    - Lascannon

Vendetta Gunship

1495 points

I realize it isn't a competitive list, but ever since the 3rd edition Catachan codex I have wanted to do something similar to this.

Not a bad list, only thing id suggest is dropping one of the bodyguards and using the points elsewhere. Since they count as a wound allocation group I generally end up with them dead after absorbing a single round of shooting. So I just bring one and save the points. The FNP might change that, however.

I generally just bring a standard, and 3 meltas, and run straken around as a mid game suicide force against anything close to my lines.

Detharin on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How are you planning to attach the legs to the tables? Because they aren't going to work how they're placed on the diagram, they can't rotate into position and sit flush against the table top to provide support.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Any thoughts on my 500 point DE list?

Expensive, money-wise, but should be fun. :)

This does look wicked fun.

HOWEVER.

Where your anti-tank at, bro? Because people will likely be gigantic tools like you are and go after the reavers.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah...I'd drop the Hellions for another three reavers and a second heat lance, then use the extra points to scatter a blast pistol or two about somewhere.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Wait, so... Poisoned attacks get to re-roll failed to-wounds? That makes my gaunts almost gamebreaking.

Poisoned gaunts are the best, I made some Paladins take ~50 saves with a brood of Poisoned, Furious Charge Hormgants. It was awesome.

This is the idea, my friend. Rerolling 1s to hit. Then rerolling to wound. Effing genius. And poisoned Warriors... against marines... tasty.

I like (read: hate) lashwhip and bonesword warriors

because power weapons and enemy is initiative 1 fuck youuuuuuu

Generally speaking warriors of all stripes are good at stabbing though, it's getting them into combat which is rough (because they are so easy to just shoot to pieces)

Solar on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Curiously I have found that my opponents tend to ignore gaunt broods in favour of targeting monstrous creatures, also outflanking the gaunts via Hive Commander can let you get the drop on an unwary unit at full strength.

However I agree that, in principle, Gargoyles are the superior choice, I just find flying stands annoying to shift around the board...

They're really bad on the realms of battle boards, sliding around on the hills. Gonna weight all mine down with fishing weights. 70 gargoyles to paint though!

And yeah, the HT plus gargs trick is really nasty, although gaunts + tervigons are still the best thing we can field. I've killed Sanguinor, some GK special character terminator and Vulkan that way in my last few games.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Overlord Muggis is getting this as his base:

27_Hive_Bases_Round_60mm2.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah Gaunts and Tervigons can kill most anything eventually. Add Venomthropes to make it a real pain to fight against.

Speaking of pains to fight against my Doom of Malan'tai apparently really hates Mephiston, every time someones Mephiston has wound up in Spirit Leech range he's rolled high on the Ld check and been killed...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chrysis wrote: »
    How are you planning to attach the legs to the tables? Because they aren't going to work how they're placed on the diagram, they can't rotate into position and sit flush against the table top to provide support.

I'm still working on that, since the hinged design is proving very difficult to articulate in any feasible way. As well, permanently attached to the boards, all those legs add up to another 2 cubic feet of wood. I'm strong, but there's a limit to how much mass I want to sling around on a regular basis. :P I'm starting to like the idea of drilling holes through the frame and the leg and having a couple of lynch pins securing each of them.

Any accomplished woodworkers, engineers, or gametablemeisters who want to weigh in with their thoughts and experiences, please do so.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm still working on that, since the hinged design is proving very difficult to articulate in any feasible way. As well, permanently attached to the boards, all those legs add up to another 2 cubic feet of wood. I'm strong, but there's a limit to how much mass I want to sling around on a regular basis. :P I'm starting to like the idea of drilling holes through the frame and the leg and having a couple of lynch pins securing each of them.

Any accomplished woodworkers, engineers, or gametablemeisters who want to weigh in with their thoughts and experiences, please do so.

My vote is to stop over-thinking it. Make a 4' x 6' with your starfield and perhaps with a few inches of extra space on all sides to hold dice, dead mans, beers, etc.

Then make 2' x 2' sub-boards that you can put on top and re-arranged as need for warhams. Blood bowl? Go buy that green battlemat stuff and paint some white lines and endzones on it and just slap it on the table wherever when you want to play it.

Most importantly, if you go with this idea, you can take all the GW shit off and still play beer pong or put food on it for a get-together.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

HOWEVER.

Where your anti-tank at, bro? Because people will likely be gigantic tools like you are and go after the reavers.

I considered that...at first I chalked it up to "who brings so many vehicles at 500 points?" Then I realized we're all that guy.

I also realized that Hellions are kind of a trap...as much as I'd like to think it'd be fun to pluck IC's out of CC, I don't think that the Hellions can withstand a lot of IC's. It's good I guess if I know we'll be facing Ethereals or Crisis suits (heh) but a) I don't like to tailor and b) they could do damage to any of the units those guys hide in anyways.

I'll drop the Hellions, and maybe the second Haemonculus. That should be enough points to get me a small Wych squad in a raider, which should be another DL and another vehicle.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Most importantly, if you go with this idea, you can take all the GW shit off and still play beer pong or put food on it for a get-together.
    It might've be a carryover from my discussion with Mr. Mich on Saturday, but there's nothing permanently affixed to the table top. It's just bare wood. The extensions are so that I can 1: expand the table to what I feel is appropriate for Apocalypse sized games, 2: have a place on the table top for players to put books, models, drinks, army lists, etc. One of the big things that annoys me about the GW table is there's no place to do that on any of the boards without infringing on the playspace, those little side mounted holder things nonwithstanding.

Since I don't have anything appropriate to put a 6x4 or bigger surface on, it needs its own legs, and I like to have a project like this fully planned out from the start so I don't hit the halfway point and say, 'well fuck, I didn't expect that.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

HOWEVER.

I considered that...at first I chalked it up to "who brings so many vehicles at 500 points?" Then I realized we're all that guy.

I also realized that Hellions are kind of a trap...as much as I'd like to think it'd be fun to pluck IC's out of CC, I don't think that the Hellions can withstand a lot of IC's. It's good I guess if I know we'll be facing Ethereals or Crisis suits (heh) but a) I don't like to tailor and b) they could do damage to any of the units those guys hide in anyways.

I'll drop the Hellions, and maybe the second Haemonculus. That should be enough points to get me a small Wych squad in a raider, which should be another DL and another vehicle.

My hellions are going to pluck IC's out of combat and bring them to Lelith. Muahahah.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Speaking of PA MDers Mystery.Shadow(Maybe) and I (definitely) will be down at the Bowie Bunker this Friday (July 1st). If any PAer is free and wanted to get in a game I had planned on Bringing down my Not fully painted space Sharks.

Keep us posted; I may be willing to head down there again this weekend.

Looks as tho you will be plagued with MysteryShadow afterall!
    See you Maryland Arcadians on Friday!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone here want to rewrite BattleScribe with me as a webapp?

Being able to edit/save rosters on a smartphone or at work would be sweet.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, anyone know about good gaming around alameda/Oakland? Me and my wife just moved there, looking for a new lgs. I remember someone saying good things about endgame, I think.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My 500 point DE list consists of the Battle Box + a Haemonculus. This should be fun.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mugginns wrote: »
    Overlord Muggis is getting this as his base:

27_Hive_Bases_Round_60mm2.jpg

While those bases are awesome, the main problems I have with them is they will look out of place on every board, and if you do it properly, it should be the same colour as your Tyranids themselves, and you kind of lose the contrast between base and miniature.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    My 500 point DE list consists of the Battle Box + a Haemonculus. This should be fun.

That doesn't sound fast enough.

But I like my Dark Eldar like I like my women. Fast and stabby. :winky:

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's one of those special engineering moments when you realize the reason why you've had such problems with making hinges work in a design is because you had them on the wrong side...

I've reduced the plywood sheet to .5" so that should save on the weight, and with mated eyebolts on the frame when the leg is extended, and on the underside when the table is closed to keep everything where it needs to be.
    table2nddraftfinalunderclose.jpg
    I'm not sure 2x2 is an actual wood size though, so I might have to fiddle with that.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You might want to look into a bit of some sort to lock the legs on place as a basic hinge that folds in like that is real easy to kick out of position which would result in many ham tears.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's what the eyebolts are for. I'm the type of engineer that nobody wants to run their ideas by on the first pass, because my initial reaction is to always point out what can go wrong, and so, 'can this collapse and propel my warhound through the window.' is one of the first issues I sought to thwart. :D

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still think the best way to do a folding 40k table is just get two of those 6'x2' folding tables you see in conference rooms and the like. They're pretty cheap, like $50au around here. To store them, fold the legs in and fit them against the wall. For a playing surface, just get a gaming mat of some kind.

With this folding table, if you're not doing a modelled surface, you're just making things difficult for yourself. And if you are... you can usually get the same result, gameplay wise, with a mat and terrain.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Woo, got my Razorwing today. Looks like a fun kit to put together, though I mostly glued the missiles together tonight.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Wait, so... Poisoned attacks get to re-roll failed to-wounds? That makes my gaunts almost gamebreaking.

Poisoned gaunts are the best, I made some Paladins take ~50 saves with a brood of Poisoned, Furious Charge Hormgants. It was awesome.

This is the idea, my friend. Rerolling 1s to hit. Then rerolling to wound. Effing genius. And poisoned Warriors... against marines... tasty.

Generally speaking warriors of all stripes are good at stabbing though, it's getting them into combat which is rough (because they are so easy to just shoot to pieces)

You forgot to mention instakilling like force weapons. With all their attacks.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »

Not quite as reliably as force weapons though given the victim has to fail a leadership test rather than the warrior passing.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Not quite as reliably as force weapons though given the victim has to fail a leadership test rather than the warrior passing.

That's true. Dual boneswords put it in the warriors favour though, making them take that test on 3D6. They lose lashwhips, but hey, you can't have everything. Unless you're a Space Wolf.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

That's true. Dual boneswords put it in the warriors favour though, making them take that test on 3D6. They lose lashwhips, but hey, you can't have everything. Unless you're a Space Wolf.

Or you take a Prime with dual boneswords and put him with bonesword/lashwhip warriors. Then, as long as you're careful, you can have effectively everything :)

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, how about this other 500 point list? Anti-tank and anti-infantry abound! I don't think having 2 hammy's is worth it, at this point level. This gives me 3x AV10 vehicles, and some extra anti-tank guns.

Still, muy expensivoso.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everything is a 10 point Greyhunter Upgrade.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I still think the best way to do a folding 40k table is just get two of those 6'x2' folding tables you see in conference rooms and the like.
    That would be peachy if I wanted a 6x4 table. :lol:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What, you need bigger? Get another 2 for big games and play from the short sides.

Building a table is really unnecessary these days.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He's mentioned that he wants the extra space for big games, and to keep drinks/dice/dead mans. Namely because when Kroot vs. Guard goes down, there's a ton of dead mans.

As for building a table being "necessary"...few things are "necessary" in a game where we pay hundreds of dollars to paint toy soldiers and scoot them around. If I had room to work on one, I'd consider making one just for the fun project and then selling it online or something.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I could buy four 6x2 conference tables, although the last time I priced things, whether or not I'd save anything but time in the long run is in question, but I'm doing this for the same reason that one of my Monolith's has a plasma ball in it, and all three of them completely light up, despite the fact that they play exactly the same as if they were plastic grey and held together with blue tac. Building stuff that is neat and useful is fun, and instead of making do with bought tables, I'm custom crafting to my exact requirements.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    chrisofthedalechrisofthedale Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, managed to get my first veteran squad assembled today:
    VetSquad.jpg

chrisofthedale on
    PASignature.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slapnuts wrote: »

Well, it's all I can afford at the moment, although I hear there's some event coming up int he next few weeks at the LGS that allows for 750 point lists. I'm going to throw the Kabalites into their own Raider, get Wracks and toss them into a Venom (for the purposes of capping + holding an objective as troops due to Haemonculus), and throw in a Ravager.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He's mentioned that he wants the extra space for big games, and to keep drinks/dice/dead mans.

That's not a bad idea (and I feel stupid for not realizing), and one of the reasons I'm leaning on a table tennis table instead of 2 trestle tables. It's big enough to throw a 6x4 mat in the middle and have extra space, or use for Apocalypse, and still folds up.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Slapnuts wrote: »

Well, it's all I can afford at the moment, although I hear there's some event coming up int he next few weeks at the LGS that allows for 750 point lists. I'm going to throw the Kabalites into their own Raider, get Wracks and toss them into a Venom (for the purposes of capping + holding an objective as troops due to Haemonculus), and throw in a Ravager.

I'm just busting on you. There are a ton of viable DE options.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He's mentioned that he wants the extra space for big games, and to keep drinks/dice/dead mans.

That's not a bad idea (and I feel stupid for not realizing), and one of the reasons I'm leaning on a table tennis table instead of 2 trestle tables. It's big enough to throw a 6x4 mat in the middle and have extra space, or use for Apocalypse, and still folds up.

Dice and dead mans notwithstanding, a place to sit drinks is vital.

Beerhams.

No.

WHISKEYHAMS.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This thread has waay too much dark eldar. I mean, a year ago we'd be like "fuuuuck, DE are so crap when are they gonna update the codeeeex.. whaaaa..." Now all I hear is DE DE DE. What happened to our beloved Space Marines with their 3+ save...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
This discussion has been closed.