As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
I'd like to begin this new bitching thread by tossing a bitch in the direction of the Superman books.

What the hell.

Between the terrible clusterfuck that has been the last year (almost) of Superman, and the awful new Reign of the Doomsdays thing in Action Comics, there's not really any good Superman books right now.

How did Action Comics go from the amazing Lex Luthor arc to this completely dull Doomsday thing?

It was Action Comics #900. That book was pretty awful for such a milestone issue. The main story which was the conclusion of the Lex Luthor arc was really chaotic and hard to follow. The Doomsday stuff felt really out of place and made no sense at all against the backdrop of the Black Ring plot.

And I guess this whole Doomsday plot was engineered by Lex? When exactly did that happen? Because I've been reading Action Comics, and for the past 12 months, Lex has been completely obsessed and single minded in his search for the power of the Black Ring and those black energy deposits. When did he have time to create a few Doomsday clones and some sort of crazy space station when he was matching wits with Randall Savage, Larfleeze, Joker, a Lois Bot with a secret agenda, and a bunch of other crap.

Oh. And I guess Paul Cornell hasn't been reading Green Lantern Corps. Otherwise he'd know that Hank Henshaw, aka Cyborg Superman, is out of commission. His body was completely destroyed and his spirit was trapped inside the green battery of Bodikka.

Lucascraft on

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's always back issues.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well hopefully the whole mystery reboot thing after Flashpoint can put the spring back in Superman's step.

But yeah right now Superman is limping along and has been for some time.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Everyone knows that JMS's Superman:Earth One is the real Superman now - the rest of the books are just placeholders.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh. And I guess Paul Cornell hasn't been reading Green Lantern Corps. Otherwise he'd know that Hank Henshaw, aka Cyborg Superman, is out of commission. His body was completely destroyed and his spirit was trapped inside the green battery of Bodikka.

Nope. He escaped again during the "Reign of Doomsday" buildup story that took place in Steel, Outsiders, JLA, Batman/Superman Annual, and Superboy.

Specifically, he escaped from Bodikka in JLA 55 and then had a knock-down, drag-out battle with Doomsday in the Batman/Superman annual. Turns out Bodikka hadn't defeated him, he was just waiting idle inside her.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Another thing I'd like to bitch about regarding the Black Ring arc is the fact that there was apparently no payoff whatsoever for the 11 issues leading up to the end.

I mean, Lex becomes cosmically powerful and in the end he gets outsmarted by Superman in a moment of rage.

I want to see Lex triumph. I want to see Lex have an Adrian Veidt moment. I want Lex to pull off a plan so masterful and so sinister that it leaves everyone's jaws dropping in the end.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I will be reading Action Comics today through the Lex run, and I have been putting it off because I've head it has such a massive non-ending. I'm kind of fearful about how much it could take from the story for me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We really need to have Hal Jordan revealed to be still crazy as fuck, secretly have orchestrated every event in the last ten or so years of the DC universe trying to bring back the "good ol days" which cheapening or killing off all those that came off to turn back the clock, Barry Allen, Ollie would be revealed as constructs as part of the grand plan and he'd absorb the power of all the power batteries while killing off thousands of Corps members until he's put down like the dog he is.

Well it's a nice dream anyways with how silver age DC really is getting, especially if some of the rumors of Flash Point are true.

Cade on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    STILL MAD ABOUT ONSLAUGHT UNLEASHED

Furu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GIVE IN TO YOUR RAGE, FURU
    Atrocitus.png

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    HRRGHLBLRGHLRAGHLHRGHLE

Furu on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, Prez

now that is a dude I can get behind

I bet you could. :winky:

I skimmed through Avengers 13 when I got my comics on Wednesday. Pthbbbbt. Though I am disappointed in Strange Adventures to the extent that a couple of the stories were depressing as Hell. I already hate writing that shit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Roberson's Superman has been non stop awesome. So, there is one good Superman book.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Everyone knows that JMS's Superman:Earth One is the real Superman now - the rest of the books are just placeholders.

mUQf8.jpg

"Say WHAT?"

Algertman on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just to make sure it carried over:
    Munch wrote: »
    Whoever wound up winning the presidency in that awful DCU Decisions book?

Huerta won the election, he was the moderate liberal candidate, right? It was mentioned in one of their comics, I want to say JSA or Action Comics last year.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man Tom Breevort has been acting like a dick lately

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

recently?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

recently?

In Brevoort's (online) case it might be all the time. What did DC screw up this time that Marvel got 100% correct?

Along these lines, I really don't like when Marvel starts acting like they are defenders of the average retailer. A $4 book does increase revenue but it also has the effect, that has been seen in recent sales, of lowering the amount of copies ordered in recent years, on top of a troubled economy. More potential revenue but you are pulling from a smaller amount of people that this industry has a very hard time of bringing back into the fold.

On top of that, Marvel have mastered the art of TBA/TBD solicitations which can be hard for gauging orders, changing creative teams for already solicited books (or not at all), particularly when they flood the market with Cap and Thor tie-ins, variant covers that can only be obtained with very high ratios, and being a pain in getting products made returnable (so much so they had to be sued in the past). And while we're at it, Marvel going down to 20 pages on $3 books without telling anyone (on top of berating DC for doing it months ago) can't be that helpful to retailers when they won't even announce this information.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

recently?

In Brevoort's (online) case it might be all the time. What did DC screw up this time that Marvel got 100% correct?

Along these lines, I really don't like when Marvel starts acting like they are defenders of the average retailer. A $4 book does increase revenue but it also has the effect, that has been seen in recent sales, of lowering the amount of copies ordered in recent years, on top of a troubled economy. More potential revenue but you are pulling from a smaller amount of people that this industry has a very hard time of bringing back into the fold.

On top of that, Marvel have mastered the art of TBA/TBD solicitations which can be hard for gauging orders, changing creative teams for already solicited books (or not at all), particularly when they flood the market with Cap and Thor tie-ins, variant covers that can only be obtained with very high ratios, and being a pain in getting products made returnable (so much so they had to be sued in the past). And while we're at it, Marvel going down to 20 pages on $3 books without telling anyone (on top of berating DC for doing it months ago) can't be that helpful to retailers when they won't even announce this information.

To be honest, it looks to me like one of two things is happening. The first possibility I see is Disney giving Marvel an "increase your book revenue" order, and Marvel's going for the "increase cost per book" strategy rather than the "increase sales" strategy. The other possibility is Marvel sees the nail in the comic book coffin, and are trying to create a reason to drop single issues, switching to a digital delivery method to increase profit without being singled out as the reason that comic book stores die.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am pretty pissed about that whole Marvel thing. In the past, Brevoort has said that it's been "unfair" because DC has been a part of Warner forever, and therefore they've been able to take the blow of cutting costs. I feel like maybe he's had a point, in the sense that Marvel from a business perspective seems to be much more shark-like these last few years than DC. At the same time, as part of the House of Mouse, there's really no disadvantage anymore.

I'll continue to support as many $3 books as I can, but I am about ready to drop anything that's $4 outside of an concessional limited series, one-shot, or event crossover.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Still not really able to make myself care about an extra dollar.

Furu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    I do. Because if three of the $4 books I pick up dropped to $3 each then I could put another book on the list

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Marvel doesn't really have an incentive to drop their prices, especially on their best selling books, and especially when they've seen that doing so didn't really cause DC's sales to increase.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Great. Then they can move on to defending that other sure-fire business model: the record store.
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The other possibility is Marvel sees the nail in the comic book coffin, and are trying to create a reason to drop single issues, switching to a digital delivery method to increase profit without being singled out as the reason that comic book stores die.

Yeah, that will work really well as they put their digital comics in "the vault." Even Disney doesn't use the vault nonsense anymore, do they? Jesus Christ, this isn't 1986.
    Marvel doesn't really have an incentive to drop their prices, especially on their best selling books, and especially when they've seen that doing so didn't really cause DC's sales to increase.

Indeed. Comics are nothing if not incredibly inelastic.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm reading Nick Spencer's Jimmy Olsen backups, and I kind understand the criticism that he's too hipster-y.

This one-shot has the most pop-culture shout outs of any comic I have ever read, far and beyond anything else. And it really takes me out of the experience when Jimmy Olsen randomly tosses out a line from a Talking Heads song or the title of a Spiritualized album, or his buddy tells him about the great augmented reality apps at the iPad store. It's really grating, because 1. it grounds the story firmly in our time and world, and 2. I don't think Jimmy Olsen would really talk like that.

It's funny, because Spencer does totally nail it otherwise, and he has Jimmy's voice down and the whole thing is well-written beyond those constant shout outs to Avatar and Net Neutrality and whatnot. That is all just super-annoying. Does he do this kind of thing in Iron Man 2.0? I just kind of assume he does it in most of his creator-owned work, since it seems to be firmly rounded in that kind of world.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Another thing I'd like to bitch about regarding the Black Ring arc is the fact that there was apparently no payoff whatsoever for the 11 issues leading up to the end.

I mean, Lex becomes cosmically powerful and in the end he gets outsmarted by Superman in a moment of rage.

I want to see Lex triumph. I want to see Lex have an Adrian Veidt moment. I want Lex to pull off a plan so masterful and so sinister that it leaves everyone's jaws dropping in the end.

popular superhero comics are essentially static settings and are written with a three to five year turnover

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

popular superhero comics are essentially static settings and are written with a three to five year turnover

My biggest problem was that the actual plot/quest was really poorly constructed and made zero sense at all, especially the last two chapters when Lex actually finds his power. It came out of nowhere, and while it definitely felt like it was exactly what they had been planning the whole time, it was still completely random and not satisfying at all. It felt like a cheat, really.
    The idea of this ultimate power manifesting itself in 10 random glowing orbs that changed when you messed with them just felt way too easy. When you find out it's a door to a phantom zone beast at the end, it makes a lot more sense, but then the phantom zone creature and its fight with Lex make no sense at all and are super poorly explained.

The characterization of everyone except Superman was fantastic, though, and the book had a fun, highfaulutin' spirit. It's just a shame the plot sucked. I double-dip my absolute favorite arcs and get them as single issues and then later again as trades or deluxe hardcovers. Originally I thought The Black Ring would be one of those, but I'm probably just going to put these issues in a long box somewhere and forget about them now.

Finally, a lot of people said the crossover took the steam out of it. I disagree. The doomsday stuff felt separated enough from the Black Ring story that I felt you could read one and pretty much ignore the other. Sure, Lex said a few lines about it, but it wasn't like the two plots actually came together at all. They even had different primary artists.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Flashpoint #2 variant cover:

flashpoint2.jpg

Stay classy, DC.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I fucking hate the smell of new thread.

Did I post correctly in this thread?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That is one ugly-ass Wonder Woman costume

Solar on
  • Options
    IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish Adam Hughes drew the stuff.

Indi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I hate that I had to go to three different stores to find Thunderbolts 158.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Flashpoint #2 variant cover:

flashpoint2.jpg

Stay classy, DC.

So, Wonder Woman gets her Flashpoint helmet from Mera. Who would have, presumably, been wearing the helmet when what's shown on that cover happened. And she was wearing the tiara underneath the helmet? That seems unlikely. Where's the realism, DC?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Really? That's a Fear Itself tie-in. We up our orders on those becasue the tie-ins have a little more shelf life in them.

Also, Fraction can't pace a comic worth a damn anymore. Fear Itself was all over the board.

Algertman on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So who called it that bucky was the dead one? They win the bitching thread.

And boo on that.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

Really? That's a Fear Itself tie-in. We up our orders on those becasue the tie-ins have a little more shelf life in them.
    Yep. One had zero. The other had two for two folks' pull lists. My regular store was closed, but I know they'd have had it. So I had to go to another store I haven't been to in more than fifteen years. I almost lost it because I could not figure out their system for organizing books (and it's not like Tbolts merited placement at the register by the door like FI 3 and Flashpoint 2, and all the FP tie-ins. Bah!) and was certain they didn't have it after looking for like ten minutes before I finally found it. It should not have been that hard, but I kept glancing from Thunder Agents to Vampirella or something and I was slowly going insane.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    2 people have it on their pull list? Our Bomb Queen list is bigger than that.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    2 people have it on their pull list? Our Bomb Queen list is bigger than that.

This is officially the saddest thing I have ever heard

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It isn't the biggest store, but yeah even the clerk seemed disappointed when she told me. Needless to say that I do not plan on mentioning that to Jeff Parker if I run into him this weekend. Or maybe I will so Marvel will know to get off their fucking asses and promote their best book (Though the fact that it's on #158 in this comic environment seems like a positive sign).

I don't like the arrangement of stores because the most friendly pre-bags and boards all the new releases. So ... Fuck them. The two big ones (the one I go to and the last one I went to) don't do that, but like I said the one I never go to is laid out kind of weird (It should make sense to have TPBs and floppies next to each other ... for DC and Marvel. Then it goes off the rails. Like I said, yesterday I was on the verge of tears trying to find T-bolts). The problem is that both are kind of out of the way in general except that I have a reason to be really close to my store on Wednesday mornings. The other two were the closest to my house. And, yeah, that meant exactly dick when it came to satisfaction.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been stinking up the DC thread with my Geoff Johns hate, so I thought I'd bring it over here. Then, I read this post on the Mindless Ones, which said everything I'd really want to say.
    Every year I give another UBER FAN GEOFF JOHNS comic a go. I do this out of a spirit of genuine enquiry and because people like David Uzumeri enjoy his comics, and every year I wonder why I do this to myself, and then I write about my pain here. Because not only do I find Johns’ work boring – in spades – but I also find it annoying and ultimately very depressing. Johns is now one of the most powerful writers in the industry, which for me is worrying because he represents the point at which my taste diverges from many fan’s. I’m on record as a continuity skeptic and, for me, Johns’ penchant for splashing around in the murky mire of continuity and legacy is self defeating and boring. The rise to power of these twin obsessions within DC is one of the main reasons why Marvel outsell them. It’s not because the DCU is inherently stranger and more esoteric than its sister universe and neither is it because, DC editorial take note (or not), of its lack of grounding in REAL. WORLD. EVENTS. but because no one cares about superheroes/villains standing around a lot being slightly different superheroes/villains from the superheroes/villains Geoff Johns and his fellow uber-fans are used to.

No one cares about that.

But I care about the fatalism it represents. It’s almost as though DC have just thrown in the towel. ‘Screw it’, Flashpoint seems to say, ‘superhero comics are fucked and all we can do now is milk the uber fan.’ I wasn’t joking when I said Flashpoint largely consists of superheroes standing around a lot. Really, nothing happens, nothing at all, but maybe a better way to describe it is… Look, you know when kids line their toys up on the shelf, ostensibly for a roll call but really just so they can *feel* the weight of their collection? That’s what’s going on in the pages of the first issue of DC’s latest game changer. Hoarding – universe Building for the sake of it. But a universe with nowhere to go – more joyless tweaking and revisioning, leading to more joyless tweaking and revisioning. Forget storytelling, who needs that stuff when Aquaman and Wonder Woman can be evil? When Cyborg – fucking Cyborg – can be Superman? I tell you now, Flashpoint isn’t a story, it’s just a movement from one startling continuity/legacy nudging non-event to another, for five issues, leading to a line wide recuperation of all DCU titles into its ghastly spectacle of fan-service and costume/world map/timeline collecting. This issue ended with the startling revelation that the Batman of Flashpoint’s reality is in fact Thomas Wayne. Expect more exciting revelations in the weeks to come. That is a promise. I promise you. All the superheroes that ya gotta love in a world ya gotta love gotta love.

It really is dead from the waist down, like the qliphothic shadow of Batman Inc, a comic which, unlike Flashpoint, wants to play with its toys as much as stare at them.

Obviously none of this is helped by Geoff’s flatter than flat dialogue and dead pan character sketching. I mean, seriously, this comic contains a Harlequin analogue called Yo-Yo (I know, I’m falling asleep already) who arrives equipped with such brain frazzling idea-bombs as

‘The Joker’s in all of us, Batman! It’s in you. Me. The people of Gotham city. We’re all a little bit crazy.’

And then, later, when Harlequin’s words reverberate across the husk of a soul-gutted Shade the Changing Man.

‘My M-vest can sense it within her. Emily Sung, the Element Woman, is a bit mad.’

This isn’t voice, it’s place-holder dialogue. The only way I can hear it is as a monotonous drone. More death. God, Blackest Night really was the truth wasn’t it? The ultimate truth of the DCU.

Munch on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ‘My M-vest can sense it within her. Emily Sung, the Element Woman, is a bit mad.’
    this is not an actual quote

I refuse to believe it

Antimatter on
This discussion has been closed.