As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Is Batman standing in front of him or something?

Because I'm trying to figure out the lighting in that drawing, and the shadow on the wall and the shadows on the clothes are giving me conflicting information.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    also take a moment and look at how much bigger his right goggle is than his left one

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Monocle cowl... monocowl? nah that's silly

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Okay so

apparently Owlman is now part of the Watchmen universe?

Must be awkward if he meets Nite-Owl

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is he pelvic thrusting the air?

I think that's what he's doing.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    It really does feel like missing the point to make the Watchmen characters look badass in the costumes, at the very least.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Maybe it's all about missing the point.

• Options
    aw come on, Spectre, I know you've got a better rant in you than that

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Maybe it's all about missing the point.

"Before Watchmen: It's all about missing the point"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You know the funniest thing about that cover? Jim Lee, the co-bigwig of DC, can't even get Nite Owl's name right.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You know the funniest thing about that cover? Jim Lee, the co-bigwig of DC, can't even get Nite Owl's name right.

Ha, you're right, that is the best part.

God, this whole thing is such a mess

• Options
    aw come on, Spectre, I know you've got a better rant in you than that

There's really no point in it and it's just going to get me infracted the moment someone makes a remark about oh look Spectre is doing his thing again hur hur let's all make a point of it to disregard any point he might have made simply because he used more than one paragraph to do it hur hur

or hur hur but no this Watchmen spin-off might be a good idea hur I'ma spend money on it because what if it's good? hur

The whole thing is just depressing, especially considering how much actual talent is behind these things and everything that implies. None of these people actually thought doing all of this extra Watchmen stuff was a good idea, they're just doing it because DC is giving them large, money-filled sacks with big, cartoony dollar signs on them. Which means that anyone can be bought, artistic integrity be damned. Or worse, some of these people actually did think doing this was a good idea and all of these genuinely creative people were gibbering morons all along.

The whole thing is just incredibly disappointing on so many different levels it's almost terminally depressing to even think about and god damnit CD you made me do a rant GOD DAMNIT

• Options
    Oh but yeah, seriously, though, fuck Jim Lee and fuck anyone who likes his shitty bullshit art he is a talentless, unoriginal hack and what the FUCK is wrong with all of you people (those of you who like Jim Lee's stuff, that is) who like his stuff literally nothing about it is good or even remotely decent in any way you must all have been bottle-fed paint thinner and nail polish as children

• Options
    whatever happens, Spectre, just remember that I love you

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    and damn it now I can't unsee "night owl" pelvic thrusting the air... which makes it hilarious actually. every news story about before watchmen is just going to have him in the background thrusting away. Something is wrong with my head.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Oh but yeah, seriously, though, fuck Jim Lee and fuck anyone who likes his shitty bullshit art he is a talentless, unoriginal hack and what the FUCK is wrong with all of you people (those of you who like Jim Lee's stuff, that is) who like his stuff literally nothing about it is good or even remotely decent in any way you must all have been bottle-fed paint thinner and nail polish as children

Spectre do I even dare ask what your opinion of Rob Liefeld is?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

He's an incompetent hack but at least nobody pretends that he isn't, not even Liefeld himself. And even at his worst and most 90s, Liefeld's stuff is at least a hundred times more imaginative than Lee at his best.

• Options

He's an incompetent hack but at least nobody pretends that he isn't, not even Liefeld himself. And even at his worst and most 90s, Liefeld's stuff is at least a hundred times more imaginative than Lee at his best.

Liefeld is the class clown who flunks the test but always has something to say whether or not he's done his homework.

Lee is the B- student who is consistently unremarkable but always gets decent grades even when he has to turn in his work late.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I'm going to bitch about how fucking entitled comic book shop and owners seem to be, and how the industry itself is doing nothing to change that.

A comic book shop owner in Florida has decided to boycott Mark Waid because of his supposed bias against physical comic books. You can read the whole thing here http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/19/a-comic-store-owner-addresses-mark-waid/ Apparently, the whole thing stems from Waid selling off his comic book collection to fund his new digital venture.
    We have experienced a resurgence of interest in new and back issue comics of late. There’s ongoing excitement with DC’s relaunch and Image seems to be enjoying one hit after another of late. AVX is getting a lot of play with my customers, which no doubt will add to the fervor.

All this printed goodness bringing in new faces and then some bratty little sister comes in and tries to kick down the blocks.

Mark Waid has done some pretty phenomenal comics in his tenure as a comic writer. He’s brought some cool concepts to print. He’s made a living off the print format and we’ve all sold his comics and made money doing so. But Mark now seems to be an enemy of everything brick & mortar stores do.

When Mark was a honcho at Boom! he was afforded a soapbox that gave him a louder voice than many of his peers. Mark, as a creator, was welcome to say and do anything he wished. Mark, and anyone else in his position at the time, should have hedged his remarks. Selling something is never made easier when the producer is telling you that you’re wasting your money. By telling people that digital is the only way to go, that effectively tells customers that they’re wrong in purchasing the paper product. It’s no wonder Boom! parted ways with Mark.

Now Mark is on his latest soapbox, publicly announcing his selling off of his comic collection to fund his new online venture. Good for Mark. I have no more interest in his online creations than I would if he were going into manufacturing argyle socks. He’s now taking every chance to take a shot at what I do for a living and my customers do for entertainment. Brick and Mortar stores won’t survive selling digital comics; the margins simply aren’t there to support nice, brightly-lit stores in nice areas. So anyone who stands up at a comic convention and downgrades what we do must be considered an enemy of the state of comics.

So here’s my deal. I haven’t promoted anything by Mark in some time due to his vociferousness against print comics. Now I will actively be letting customers know that his work isn’t welcome in my stores. Movie stars, rock stars, and comic creators only have a soapbox because of their successes. I won’t help contribute to any success that will be turned against me. And no, I see no difference between a creator owned Image book or a relaunch of a major character from Marvel or DC. I have 1000 other creators who I can support so even tanking a big character book won’t impact my bottom line significantly.

Maybe 10 years from now Mark can sell his digital collection to finance a new print venture. Unfortunately, the digital collection will be as worthless then as it is now while his print comic collection that he sold off will still be holding its value and increasing in someone else’ collection.

Just so much ugh in that little diatribe. First of all, he's reaching with the whole waid thing, and then his delusion that comic book collection will hold its value...clearly that's what happened to every foil cover comic book from the 90's right?

You know, I can only imagine how hard it must be to own a comic book store, and I guess if I was in his position I would also be defensive. But at the same time, pretending that digital comics isn't going to inevitably affect the comic industry is just silly.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Pretty much, (and it's not like he said Digital only), and of course those horrible "comic market" people are jumping into it.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I have to imagine it's frustrating to know that your business is inevitably going to be killed by this new thing coming down the pipe. Probably a bit like being a VCR salesman.

But, my reaction to these retailer outbursts are always the same.

"Good, fuck 'em."

Anytime a retailer threatens to boycott something, and then talk about how their profits can't survive digital, I'm forced to assume A) they're not ordering heavy on a B-list title like Daredevil anyway or B) they are, and they're going to shoot themselves in the foot, by cutting into their already slim profits.

Retailers like to act like Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc. need them, but I really think it's the other way around. These massive companies will find a way to get their product out there, and make a profit. Mom n' Pops' Comics will be the ones hurting, when they decide to boycott.

The fact is, the direct market has failed. We've reached a point that the only thing retailers will order heavy on, are books that they perceive as important, killing dozens and dozens of cool new books, before they even get out of the gate. They've failed to bring in new customers. They've failed to keep the customers they had just a few years ago.

I like my local comic shops, and I like the people who work there, for the most part. But, the writing's been on the wall for a long time, and it's time to try something new.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is he pelvic thrusting the air?

I think that's what he's doing.

Woof!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh, but you omitted the best part.
    As has… oh boy… Larry of Larry’s Comics, addressing Mark.
    I’m out and about. I’ll post some of your more antagonistic, ignorant quotes later.

I'll just quote David Uzumeri on this one.
    yo, i'm on whatever side larry's comics isn't on

Goddamn it. I wasn't going to talk about Captain Marvel, but I will. This weekend, you may have seen the long quote from Kelly Sue that could be summed up as "The direct market preorder system sucks and I hate it, but it's all we have. So if you want to see this book not get cancelled before issue #1 hits the shelves, preorder it." Then last night/this morning she had to walk back the statement on her blog because, as what always happens in these situations, some retailers and fans who have the reading comprehension of limestone got pissed off because she dared to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

Where are all the fucking adults in comics?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    I’m out and about. I’ll post some of your more antagonistic, ignorant quotes later.

Goddamn it. I wasn't going to talk about Captain Marvel, but I will. This weekend, you may have seen the long quote from Kelly Sue that could be summed up as "The direct market preorder system sucks and I hate it, but it's all we have. So if you want to see this book not get cancelled before issue #1 hits the shelves, preorder it." Then last night/this morning she had to walk back the statement on her blog because, as what always happens in these situations, some retailers and fans who have the reading comprehension of limestone got pissed off because she dared to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

Angrily wearing them, it would seem.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Liefeld thinks he's talented. Don't know you got that he thought he was aware he sucks.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm going to bitch about how fucking entitled comic book shop and owners seem to be, and how the industry itself is doing nothing to change that.

A comic book shop owner in Florida has decided to boycott Mark Waid because of his supposed bias against physical comic books. You can read the whole thing here http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/19/a-comic-store-owner-addresses-mark-waid/ Apparently, the whole thing stems from Waid selling off his comic book collection to fund his new digital venture.
    We have experienced a resurgence of interest in new and back issue comics of late. There’s ongoing excitement with DC’s relaunch and Image seems to be enjoying one hit after another of late. AVX is getting a lot of play with my customers, which no doubt will add to the fervor.

All this printed goodness bringing in new faces and then some bratty little sister comes in and tries to kick down the blocks.

Mark Waid has done some pretty phenomenal comics in his tenure as a comic writer. He’s brought some cool concepts to print. He’s made a living off the print format and we’ve all sold his comics and made money doing so. But Mark now seems to be an enemy of everything brick & mortar stores do.

When Mark was a honcho at Boom! he was afforded a soapbox that gave him a louder voice than many of his peers. Mark, as a creator, was welcome to say and do anything he wished. Mark, and anyone else in his position at the time, should have hedged his remarks. Selling something is never made easier when the producer is telling you that you’re wasting your money. By telling people that digital is the only way to go, that effectively tells customers that they’re wrong in purchasing the paper product. It’s no wonder Boom! parted ways with Mark.

Now Mark is on his latest soapbox, publicly announcing his selling off of his comic collection to fund his new online venture. Good for Mark. I have no more interest in his online creations than I would if he were going into manufacturing argyle socks. He’s now taking every chance to take a shot at what I do for a living and my customers do for entertainment. Brick and Mortar stores won’t survive selling digital comics; the margins simply aren’t there to support nice, brightly-lit stores in nice areas. So anyone who stands up at a comic convention and downgrades what we do must be considered an enemy of the state of comics.

So here’s my deal. I haven’t promoted anything by Mark in some time due to his vociferousness against print comics. Now I will actively be letting customers know that his work isn’t welcome in my stores. Movie stars, rock stars, and comic creators only have a soapbox because of their successes. I won’t help contribute to any success that will be turned against me. And no, I see no difference between a creator owned Image book or a relaunch of a major character from Marvel or DC. I have 1000 other creators who I can support so even tanking a big character book won’t impact my bottom line significantly.

Maybe 10 years from now Mark can sell his digital collection to finance a new print venture. Unfortunately, the digital collection will be as worthless then as it is now while his print comic collection that he sold off will still be holding its value and increasing in someone else’ collection.

Just so much ugh in that little diatribe. First of all, he's reaching with the whole waid thing, and then his delusion that comic book collection will hold its value...clearly that's what happened to every foil cover comic book from the 90's right?

You know, I can only imagine how hard it must be to own a comic book store, and I guess if I was in his position I would also be defensive. But at the same time, pretending that digital comics isn't going to inevitably affect the comic industry is just silly.

I agree with you. I can see why he'd be pissed but Waid's doing the right thing here. The direct market is going to end eventually, the last financial crisis only sped it up.

Digital may be what shapes the industry's next stage. The brick & mortar stores need to embrace the future and change how they do business or there won't be a business to sell their comics in.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I found this kind of funny.
    During the third day of WonderCon, Jim Lee had that chance once again. Early in the afternoon, one of the larger rooms at the Anaheim Convention Center slowly packed itself full of fans, a crowd that waited patiently for the superstar artist, who was running a little bit late.

Lee's arrival was met with thunderous applause as the DC Comics Co-Publisher apologized for being late, and then apologized again as he excused himself to use the restroom. The mood of the crowd was warm and friendly, so there was no problem with the slight delays.

Jim Lee's career in a nutshell.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

Guess I'd better preorder EVERYTHING I want this summer tomorrow.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I found this kind of funny.
    During the third day of WonderCon, Jim Lee had that chance once again. Early in the afternoon, one of the larger rooms at the Anaheim Convention Center slowly packed itself full of fans, a crowd that waited patiently for the superstar artist, who was running a little bit late.

Lee's arrival was met with thunderous applause as the DC Comics Co-Publisher apologized for being late, and then apologized again as he excused himself to use the restroom. The mood of the crowd was warm and friendly, so there was no problem with the slight delays.

Jim Lee's career in a nutshell.

oh
    my
    god

• Options
    edited March 2012
    "Hey everyone. I'll be in the bathroom, okay?"

I can't tell if he's fearless, an idiot, or harbors some dark secret that's not worth finding out about. Who the hell tells a packed room full of fans and critics you're gonna be alone in the bathroom for a while?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Jim Lee's bladder full
    the fans wait as usual
    art imitates life

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    A new bitch after looking at the Awesome moment's thread.

God I hate the Gutters Webcomic. It's rarely funny, usually overwritten(as in that the dude spend 8 dialogue balloons when he really only needs 3), and it's written by the fucking frat boy douche from Least I Could Do.

• Options
    you're a good man, noir blood.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Least I Can do.

Is that the horrible webcomic that was posted a while back about the douche who's so awesome and sexy and what not. Something about him trying to get a lesbian best friend was posted I think.

• Options
    I really think it's time to move on. We understand LICD, we understand what the creator does with it, there aren't any further surprises or revelations that won't be in accordance with what we've seen. It will continue to be what it is.

Let it go, and never talk of it again.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Jim Lee's bladder full
    the fans wait as usual
    art imitates life

Add a seasonal reference and you're gold

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I would like to bitch about my dissertation (it's on comics so it counts)

and it's bibliography specifically

No reason I just hate doing them so goddamn much

i know this is from weeks ago but it's exactly the same as the thing i want to bitch about right now

fuck MLA, fuck all bibliographies and especially fuck this one for not letting me cite the Mindless Ones because i only know them by their hilarious nom-de-plumes

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I would like to bitch about my dissertation (it's on comics so it counts)

and it's bibliography specifically

No reason I just hate doing them so goddamn much

i know this is from weeks ago but it's exactly the same as the thing i want to bitch about right now

fuck MLA, fuck all bibliographies and especially fuck this one for not letting me cite the Mindless Ones because i only know them by their hilarious nom-de-plumes

I'm not saying they would, necessarily, but maybe try emailing them?

People still do that, right?

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gutters meets Mark Waid 'controversy':
    2c0e6e8116152142b7f9c9a8bc94589e5eb2db6d.jpg

Doesn't really seem to make a point.
    EDIT: Tried to spoiler it for the Gutter-haters, but it wouldn't work

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42