As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Venture Bros.] Apparently the movie is erasing the existence of the series

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited July 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
brock%20is%20a%20beautiful%20butterfly.jpg

The Venture Bros. Hoowee, have they taken us for a ride. What started out as a fairly straight-up parody of Johnny Quest quickly evolved into a staggeringly complex world of its own, full of rich characters all going through some form of failure and plenty of hilarity. It's one of the best series on television. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go do it now. We'll wait.

Back with us? Good. When last we left the hapless Venture teens, they graduated from their subliminal school-beds and had a disastrous faux prom. What awaits them next? A whole hell of a lot, based on this blog post from Jackson Publick:
We've recently signed a new contract with adultswim to produce two more seasons of The Venture Bros.

Doc and I officially started writing last week. Though, in truth, we technically started writing season 5 last year when we accidentally brainstormed a handful of (we think) pretty hot new stories while we were writing the season 4 finale. Our goal is to have enough scripts to comfortably begin pre-production by June.

But wait...that's not all!

Our contract also includes a long-form (60-90 min.) Venture Bros. special. Don't ask me when we'll make it, what it's going to be about, or whether it'll be on TV or direct-to-DVD, because we don't have a clue yet. Nevertheless: good news!

Tell them what else they get, Jackson...

We've been secretly working on an 11 minute Venture Bros. special for the past couple of months. A sort of light-hearted, one-off little aperitif we're producing and animating entirely in-house at Titmouse Studios in NY and LA. It will premiere some time this summer.

So the 11-minute special will hit first. Adult Swim has revealed that it will air August 28. So what will it be about? The secret past of Dr. Orpheus? Henchman 21 trying to forge his own identity? Shore Leave continuing to be awesome? No! Click on the spoiler below, and learn of the earth-shattering tale that everyone has been demanding:
THE VENTURE BROS. SPECIAL—FROM THE LADLE TO THE GRAVE: THE STORY OF SHALLOW GRAVY—See the Venture Family as you’ve never seen them before: in a 15-minute documentary-style animated special. Follow the meteoric rise, the equally meteoric fall, and the decidedly un-meteor-like second coming of the most important band Hank Venture, Dermott Fitctel and H.E.L.P.eR. robot have ever been in: Shallow Gravy. If you’re hungry for rock, then open wide, because here comes a ladle of heavy metal fire and metaphoric meat drippings.

Can't wait.

UPDATE: New episodes are slated to begin early 2013. But in the meantime, we're getting ANOTHER special, this time a Halloween one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Me either.

Although it takes them so long to do this shit, I wish they werent doing the special to be honest. Itill be another year and a half for a half-season premire for christmas 2012.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, seems like such a tease.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, nothing's been said about doing separate seasons this time. Apparently we're getting two full seasons.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the 4 - 4.5 season situation wasn't intentional, I don't remember what the issue was that caused it. I'm just happy we are getting season 5 + special and anything more than that will be gravy.

11 min special about Hank, Helper and Dermott will probably be great but I can think of a many other characters I would rather have seen get the attention.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The lengthy production schedule on this show is definitely annoying, but the final product is always just so damn good that I can forgive them that. I know it might take a year, year and a half to get here, but I never have to doubt that once it gets here it's going to be amazing.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By splitting it up we got more episodes then if it was a straight 13 run. And even those seasons had gaps in them. Personally Id rather they take as long as they want since season 3 was kind of crap IMO compared to the others.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was lucky and got to see Mike Sinterniklaas at Acen this year. I wrote a bit of it in my blog.
    He started off strong by sharing his left over strawberry shortcake with us (he actually directly handed it to my friend Patty, as we used our press passes to sneak into the front row), which we then passed around the entire audience. He then went on to hug a woman dressed as Molotov Cocktease, commandeer a guitar from a girl in the audience and play a stirring rendition of the "Ramona" song from Scott Pilgrim, and show us, I shit you not, a world exclusive video of Doc Hammer and Jackson Public reacting to 2girls1cup.

Questions concerning the show itself were on the light side. We heard another confirmation that the Venture Brothers is signed on for two more seasons. He also consoled us about the death of Molotov by drawing attention to the way that death happens to work in the Venture Brothers universe (it's not necessarily very permanent).

The rest is here.

Winky on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't looked yet, but is there a combined Season 4 DVD set out?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkson wrote: »

There is on blue ray, I'm not sure about otherwise.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    Turkson wrote: »

There is on blue ray, I'm not sure about otherwise.

Yeah, Blu-ray is the only way to get it combined.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Started watching all of season 4 over the weekend. Might try to finish it up by the end of this one. I forgot how quotable this show is with other people that have seen it. I lent season one to a co-worker here at work and after a few weeks we had this conversation "It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off".
    "That's called blinking Dave"
    "Oh, now it's just regular on".

Good times.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Started watching all of season 4 over the weekend. Might try to finish it up by the end of this one. I forgot how quotable this show is with other people that have seen it. I lent season one to a co-worker here at work and after a few weeks we had this conversation "It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off".
    "That's called blinking Dave"
    "Oh, now it's just regular on".

Good times.

I actually struggle with fitting in VB quotes the way I can generally squeeze in a Simpsons or Futurama quote into normal conversation. I think Venture Brothers is maybe the best animated show on TV, but it's not infinitely quotable. It's probably got a lot to do with Hammer & Publick's writing style, which is much more naturalistic than the traditional TV model of "set up-->joke" and one-liners. It's more like an animated documentary where people often say and do funny things instead of a show bent on comedy.

For example, Brock and Hunter's back-and-forth about Robyn's sad tits. It's too long to be quotable, but damn if it's not hilarious.

I just finished watching the Season 4 blu-ray last week, and my god that show is so much better without censorship. The Monarch always knows where to drop a well-timed F-bomb. My only hope for season 5 is for less Sgt. [strike]Hatred[/strike] Venture.

Atomika on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm mostly excited that they renewed them for two more seasons and not just one more. I'm hoping they will use this opportunity to make the show even more awesome, if that's even possible. At least the special this summer will help break up the long, long wait until season 5.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't wait til this show is back on television.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »
    I'm mostly excited that they renewed them for two more seasons and not just one more. I'm hoping they will use this opportunity to make the show even more awesome, if that's even possible. At least the special this summer will help break up the long, long wait until season 5.
    It finally gives them the ability to really flesh out the story, since they're not faced with the chance that 13 episodes from now they'll never make another one. We've had a quasi series finale every season because of how they've been being renewed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It finally gives them the ability to really flesh out the story, since they're not faced with the chance that 13 episodes from now they'll never make another one. We've had a quasi series finale every season because of how they've been being renewed.

I really couldn't agree with you more on that. I thought season four was beyond fantastic - and that was with the possibility that it could be their last season, as always. I'm hoping they make shit even crazier than they have before, simply because they know they've got a much larger number of episodes to work with now.

Kirbith on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I really couldn't agree with you more on that. I thought season four was beyond fantastic - and that was with the possibility that it could be their last season, as always. I'm hoping they make shit even crazier than they have before, simply because they know they've got a much larger number of episodes to work with now.

This is fucking silly. VB is Adult swims banner show. It sells some serious ad time and merch. The only way it could have been there last season is if Publick and hammer didn't want to do it anymore, and that was dispelled by the credits saying there'd be another season.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "You! Are! Murderflies!" Is pretty damn quotable.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No no I didn't mean there was any real risk of the show being cancelled - only the same possibility of any show on any network not coming back until the news of it's renewal comes in. I just think it's awesome when good shows get renewed for more than one season at a time. It happened to Burn Notice and I'm glad the same thing is happening for Venture Bros. Just means they have a larger number of episodes to plan longer things out for now if they want to.

Kirbith on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »

This is fucking silly. VB is Adult swims banner show. It sells some serious ad time and merch. The only way it could have been there last season is if Publick and hammer didn't want to do it anymore, and that was dispelled by the credits saying there'd be another season.

Hahaha, what? I love Venture Bros, but banner show?

Not even close.

Family Guy
    American Dad
    Robot Chicken

Those are the banner shows.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Not even close.

Family Guy
    American Dad
    Robot Chicken

Two syndicated re-runs are banner shows?

Atomika on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Sad, isn't it?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    “I just wanted to kick his ass! I wanted to build a machine to kick his ass! I wanted to build an empire to house the machine to kick his ass!”

This is still the funniest thing I've ever heard on Cartoon Network.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I defy you to find a question where "Orphan heart(s)" isn't a great answer.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    YOU BUILT A MACHINE OUT A FORSAKEN CHILD!!!

Oh come on, it's not like I used the WHOLE thing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Not even close.

Family Guy
    American Dad
    Robot Chicken

How do they sell merchandise for two shows that are syndicated repeats and one that is an action figure pop culture Parody. It's pretty much the biggest money maker that Adult Swim has and they know that. That's why they let them get away with almost anything.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Both Venture Brothers and Breaking Bad are coming back in July?

Fuck. Yes.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No venture brother is getting one special episode in july.

You wont be seeing a full series for awhile.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is the one show that's worth any wait for a new season. The quality keeps getting better, and better with each season.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the uncensored versions of what a Rusty Venture is, not as bad as I initially thought. Still up there as far as weird or awful though.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. Some jokes are a bit better when left to the imagination.

A little while ago I was poking around comic artist Cliff Chiang's website and saw this:
    2l9k1si.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Who the hell is "Jackie Onassis"?

Joolander on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edit: She is the woman Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's look is based on.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Joolander on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I forgot about that.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I forgot about that.

"Really? I got it right away."

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just watched season 4.5

I blows my mind that this show never stops getting better.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    Who the hell is "Jackie Onassis"?

JFK's wife.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Who the hell is Jackie Onassis is a direct quote from Dr. Girlfriend.

Kirbith on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    braveheartkilt.jpg

"Great, Al's in there. Oh, but how cute is that kilt! He's like a little Braveheart!"

Edit - I randomly thought of this line at work a couple days ago and had the worst giggle fit. Coworkers were scared.

Henroid on