As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Joffrey Baratheon's Game of Thrones thread

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I mean, his dad tell him he would kill him if he didn't leave basically for being a weak little kid.

Doubt I would take that any better than he did. That kind of thing would basically destroy any semblance of self confidence (especially in a medieval setting).

Oghulk on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    he's all like 'ohm just a wee silly blighter whe had tee come ere cause me dad was a bit of a prick'

Then he falls down while trying to pick up a barrel or something

'guess ahm just not cut out ta bee a watchmen'

*fat fuck puppy dog face*

christ

Sir, I am perplexed by both the nature and the vehemence of the opinions which you hold, and I do not consider them to be justified.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Making fun of Sam is cool and all, but damn son. At least try to be clever or amusing, and not just a goose.

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Look, in a way, Sam is MEANT to be annoying... because he does kinda look that way, even and sometimes especially in Jon's eyes, and we only get Jon's perspective oh him in Book 1.

But you find yourself warming to him in spite of that.

Then, later, in Books 2-3
    You really feel a deep affection for him because it's not just him whinging about what a craven he is, you get in his head and learn what's driving that in the first place.

So yeah, when you first meet him, he DOES whine a lot and he IS kind of annoying, but you get to know him better and then he becomes a deeply likeable character

that said, however, Dodge, you don't really have to get all internet tough guy on a dude that doesn't really exist

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I mean right now you kinda sound like a dude shouting swear words at the moon for being too big

but worse

because the moon is actually really big

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just find it hard to believe that someone could grow up so useless in a such a harsh world.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure your parents feel the same way

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    but okay look all joking aside

I don't see you spouting the same vitriol against other useless people in the show thus far

Joffrey and Sansa would be top candidates at this point in time

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hey now i'm exactly as useless as our world expects us to be

Joffrey and Sansa are just garden variety medieval spoiled rich kids. Sam seems like what a guy from today would be like if he suddenly had to ride horses, fight and stand around in the snow all day.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Littlefinger creepin' it up in this episode

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hey now i'm exactly as useless as our world expects us to be

Joffrey and Sansa are just garden variety medieval spoiled rich kids. Sam seems like what a guy from today would be like if he suddenly had to ride horses, fight and stand around in the snow all day.

If you had started off with stuff like this you would have seemed less unhinged.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad this thread didn't exist back in the time frame where I knew who joffery was but before he was king.

Just saying.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SLyM wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread didn't exist back in the time frame where I knew who joffery was but before he was king.

Just saying.

I wish this post had been made in the time frame of a page or two ago where other people were complaining/arguing about this.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I just finished the first book, and there are hella spoilers, most marked, but some not, in this thread.

So I ain't reading the entire thing.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drogo's a sweet guy

I imagine it's hard to play a dude who looks like that and make him come off as a nice dude

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We have finally found the ideal role Jason Mamoa was searching for all those years on Stargate Atlantis.

A role where he only has to speak once an episode or less.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Drogo's a sweet guy

I imagine it's hard to play a dude who looks like that and make him come off as a nice dude

When Drogo postponed breaking the assassin's arms for long enough to express concern for his wife I was like 'dawww what a softie'. And then he goes on a big spiel about he is going to rape everyone tangentially related to the assassination attempt and it was kind of like the mongol equivalent of a big romantic gesture.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    We have finally found the ideal role Jason Mamoa was searching for all those years on Stargate Atlantis.

And when he does it's got a decent chance of being fuckin' awesome.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whipped together my first Arrested Westeros after rewatching the episode where this line was said. Not the best, but I like it.
    o2kDu.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

And when he does it's got a decent chance of being fuckin' awesome.

Which also means he will be fantastic as Conan.

Seg on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am so pumped for the new Conan.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    he's all like 'ohm just a wee silly blighter whe had tee come ere cause me dad was a bit of a prick'

Then he falls down while trying to pick up a barrel or something

'guess ahm just not cut out ta bee a watchmen'

*fat fuck puppy dog face*

christ

Where did Sam get a (bad) Scottish accent from?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sam's a bitch when you first meet him

so's sansa

Samsa

Seriously on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    This "C.B.", also known as "B.C." is hereby declared an enemy of the realm.

Fuck

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't remember how long it took me to warm up to Sam in the books, but I'm already starting to like him in the show. Just the way he delivered the "I always wanted to be a wizard" line was so silly but so earnest at the same time that it inspired my new av/location theme.

I find it weird how vehemently lots of people who haven't read the books seem to hate Sam though. For instance, one of my friends who I watch the show with hasn't read the books and he's expressed dislike for "that useless fat kid", but he seems perplexed by my dislike of Theon, who he finds to be an interesting and likeable character.

I guess readers' foreknowledge of some character arcs makes them more inclined to put up with shit from characters who get better, and more likely to condemn every little action taken by characters they don't like,
    like poor Catelyn.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon in The Game of Thrones (thread)

godmode on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys i've watched the first 3 episodes and really enjoyed it; i'm going to go and hunt down the books soonish I think. Going to finish watching the series first

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    well as someone who hasn't read the book Sam has yet to demonstrate any redeeming qualities.

But more than that it's just the actors facial expressions, he somehow appears hapless and kinda smug at the same time.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    Rolo deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon in The Game of Thrones (thread)

You can choose any horse you wish for this honor.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sam is a bit annoying. Totally not suited to the Wall and basically a massive soft baby. I do get an Alliser Thorne like urge to slap him whenever he comes on screen. But that just means potential for him to become a cool dude as his arc progresses.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    smof wrote: »
    Sam is a bit annoying. Totally not suited to the Wall and basically a massive soft baby. I do get an Alliser Thorne like urge to slap him whenever he comes on screen. But that just means potential for him to become a cool dude as his arc progresses.

end of SoS spoilers
    holy crap Alliser Thorne just rolled up in his douchemobile along with Lord Douche Slynt

I always forget how much Thorne's doucheitude is magnified between book one and book three, like he's one of those sponge toys

basically all I'm saying is that by book three thank the Gods for Samwell Tarly

cabsy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't want your stupid horse or your stupid statue, I'm the King and I can get any gift I want.

Bring me a kingly weapon that's a sword on one end but a crossbow on the other end but it sets people on fire on the other end.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    all hail roffrey and his mighty burning swordbow !

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

How about ... no.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

scooby_doo_cartoon-5322.jpeg

?

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    I don't want your stupid horse or your stupid statue, I'm the King and I can get any gift I want.

Bring me a kingly weapon that's a sword on one end but a crossbow on the other end but it sets people on fire on the other end.

Your Grace, we've had news from the Far East. They claim to have developed a weapon that is one part sword, and another part hollowed steel cylinder. The cylindrical portion contains a potent powder that, when set to flame, causes an explosion that will propel small metallic projectiles at your most unworthy enemies.

It's a rather handsome and exotic weapon, may it please Your Grace.
    Squall%27s_Gunblade_4.jpg

godmode on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

How about...no?

...your grace.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    all the spoilers are from episodes of the series that have already aired

fair game

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also Sam is way more likeable at this point in the show than he was in the books.

The guy playing him is just so friendly and jovial!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Also Sam is way more likeable at this point in the show than he was in the books.

The guy playing him is just so friendly and jovial!

I made a thing:

samwizard-1.png

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.