As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Given the climate here, there're so few days where AC is really a necessity that it's one thing I'd never worry too much about. Proper heating, of course, is a whole other ball of wax.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My parents did their best to kick us all out (in a very nice way!) once we turned 18

It sort of back-fired; two of my brothers have since returned (although one is only for a year) and my dad had to help subsidise my sister's apartment

My sister's apartment is gorgeous. My dad decided to open a new surgery (he's a vet) and got an excellent rent on an ex-beauty parlour. It was beautifully decorated and he only had to clean a little. The rent includes a a very spacious upstairs apartment; my sister works for my dad and pays reduced rent as a result

I was a little jealous, but then reminded myself that she still has to live in my home town

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mori and I were renting a tiny, spider-infested wooden hut of an apartment

It got SOOOOO hot, ohmygod. There was only one tiny window. Some days it would not cool down enough for us to be able to sleep until 2-3 am

and I actually like the heat. I had the heater on at work today.

Janson on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    100 degree weather and 100 percent humidity

fuck you, you live without AC in those conditions

Langly on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    100 percent humidity is underwater

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that is what you get when you live in a swamp

thanks, founding fathers, for choosing a swamp. Good Job Mission Accomplished.

Langly on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    he lives in a pineapple under the sea

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    current temp at 12:18 AM
    80 degrees

80% humidity

Langly on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with most of the plusses about renting.

But before I sucked it up and got roommates again I was paying $1425 a month in rent for a "nice" 1 bed/1 bath here. I know people whose mortgages are lower than that.

I actually just moved. Now have I have two roommates and pay $600/month but this is probably also the shittiest place I've ever lived. One of my roommates was just telling me the company that owns the property was thinking about closing the place and tearing it down until the current manager moved in and brought a couple of tenants with her.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Home ownership eh?

Welp, I live/own a duplex with my brother. My half (upstairs) got robbed Thursday mid-morning while the missus and I were at work. Guy kicked in the back door. My brother was downstairs at the time and hear pounding on our door but he didn't bother to go look and see who was at the door because he was busy deciding to take a shower instead. He checked our back door a little later and whoops.jpg

Stole an iMac, two 23" Cinema Displays which killed my tower when they ripped them off, stole the Wii with Rockband 3 in it, and the mic, etc, etc.

Annnnd, just found out our deductible is $2500 :(

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    100 percent humidity is underwater

no it is not

it is raining

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »

Yes, this. I'm getting by without AC here in California but I can't really conceive of living back in the South without AC. It just doesn't compute.

At my parents' house right now it is 77 degrees (25 celsius) with 78% humidity. It's 11:20 at night. Like hell I wouldn't have AC there.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so

did you kill your brother?

Langly on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I rented a place that had such terrible insulation that I slept outside in a swag for 4 months of the year. True story

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    this place doesn't have AC

I went to the store earlier and was hanging around longer than I needed to because it was air conditioned

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    current temp at 12:18 AM
    80 degrees

80% humidity

I'm at 80 degrees and 72% humidity at 12:21 am

If you go outside even now, it's immediate swamp ass.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    But yeah, when I pay rent I just feel like I'm pissing away cash while my friends in areas with more affordable housing are building equity. I'm 26 and most of them have a house or are thinking about buying one, whereas I have no idea how I could afford anything here without getting married and having two sets of savings and incomes to pay the mortgage. It's ridiculous.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    pfff 25 celsius. i wouldn't take my winter jacket off until is hits 29 - 30

:P

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to. But then again, I can't blame him too much for being plain ol' oblivious? He apparently thought it was our mom visiting me at 10:30am when I and my lady are always at work.

....god dammit I wanna kill him. :(

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    pfff 25 celsius. i wouldn't take my winter jacket off until is hits 29 - 30

:P

That's at night. It'll get to around 40 tomorrow.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    FF wrote: »
    so

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to. But then again, I can't blame him too much for being plain ol' oblivious? He apparently thought it was our mom visiting me at 10:30am when I and my lady are always at work.

I had a similar thing happen to me. My folks were out shopping, when I heard the door open I figured they had just come back. When do you investigate a door opening?

Fortunately, I had two giant German Shepherds and they scared the dude off. But we bought deadbolts after that, and I've been careful ever since.

..until a dude walked into my apartment at one am because we'd neglected to lock the door behind us.

Now I'm paranoid as hell.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so

does your mom usually kick the door in?

Langly on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These weatherposts make me a little bit happier that I live in Las Vegas

I mean, it gets hot as hell, yes, but 0% humidity? Seems an equitable trade to me even if it means I burn my ass off (literally) sitting in my friend's car (he got leather seats [he is retarded {brackets}])

Plus there's like zero goddamn mosquitoes woot

Love spiders, snakes, flies, etc, but mosquitoes? fuck right off

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I once lived in a house with a neighbour who was of the opinion that students had ruined her entire area

She campaigned against students; wrote to newspapers, walked the streets berating students (or anyone who looked like a student) and was generally unpleasant

When a guy and I had been first searching for the house we had knocked on her door by mistake, and were screamed at in return

She would complain whenever she thought we were being 'noisy'. Our house was actually really quiet - and one time she complained all that had happened was one of us had walked up the stairs

Once she came round to complain and my dad was visiting and met her at the door. She was so startled, and immediately fled

I moved out; the others remained. One night, when all five housemates were out, their back door was smashed in. Everything in the house was trashed. One of the housemates was an architecture student and he had every single last project destroyed. All of their computers were taken.

The lady next door waited until after 2 am, once the housemates had returned home to find the devastation, to go around and complain about the 'noise they had been making'

students

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so

does your mom usually kick the door in?

Well, that's the thing. He hears pounding on the front door, thinks it's our mom, gets in the shower, gets out, hears more shit going on above him, thinks for a bit, calls our mom and finds out she's not visiting lol, then only decides to check the back door.

I'm not too upset over the computers and other material shit, it happens. I am upset that they took my fiancés stuff. She had some jewelry of her grandmas, not expensive, but sentimental stuff that you can't replace.

And I could get mad at him, and call him on his...lack of having a clue? I guess. But what's it going to do at this point other than start a shitfest.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh man! The jewelry part really does suck

My grandmother had all of her heirloom jewels stolen; years later she'd still look in any jeweler's or pawnbroker's windows, just in case :(

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have a feeling that'll be how it goes for a while. Costume jewelry in a little copper tobacco box. Nothing of any real monetary value, but they took it because it was small and shiny. Fuckers.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've been ready to move out since 2005, 20 years old and about to wrap up college, but from various combinations of personal unemployment, sudden large car payments (long story), parental unemployment (13 months of!! D: ), etc. have kept me living at home for these six years

I know it shouldn't since my reasons for not moving were legitimate, but the social stigma of living with parents at >25yrs bugs the shit out of me :(

Thankfully it won't be an issue much longer, since I made the last payment on my car on Friday and me and the family are gainfully employed, woot

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Ok.

Now what?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    is humidity in australia the percentage of corrosive vapors in the air or something

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm in a really good situation with my dad, he's in construction and is always moving around depending on the job and for the next 6 months or so we're all living together on this place I just bought. I haven't lived with him for about 7 years (boarding school, then moved out on my own straight out of school) so it's really enjoyable being able to see him regularly and we get on famously, which is great. I imagine that if I spent any more than about one week every month living with him it might be a different story though.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    is humidity in australia the percentage of corrosive vapors in the air or something

The average number of deadly scorpions, spiders, insects, and wallabies per square meter

Ledneh on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    (I only read this first page, this thread is probably about drugs, dicks, or food now)

We (I'm not using the royal we, I'm married) found a house we liked and put an offer on it. It was a four bedroom Cape Cod with two full baths and a dry, unfinished full basement on half an acre. Someone else also put an offer on it. They offered a little more, and we didn't want to offer anymore, so I guess we will start looking again.

I'm tired of renting, and so is my wife. We haven't had awful experiences, but we have rented three different places, and not really enjoyed it anywhere. This latest place is almost equidistant to our jobs, it is kind of quiet, and it is a good place for the money.

But the landlord is also a roofing contractor and something and is super into church stuff I think, so he is sort of hard to get in contact with, despite his office being in the next building over. The latest thing is I can't get the damn windows open to put an air conditioner in. They are painted shut, but I think there are also old and not meant to open. They don't have any locks or handles, and two of them started to separate when I tried opening them.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was 105 degrees outside, but I'm not sure how humid it was.

All I know is that it was easy to take, until I got into my car.

*Humidity was 80% today.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess this applies? Our grandparents are living with us now.

Which is difficult when I need to stay up to do work, because our office doubles as the guest bedroom. And my fatigue has become problematic, so I get home, and feel to exhausted to do anything but sleep for a few hours that I could otherwise be using to work. And I got home much later today because of the stupid Finals schedule.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

Seattle has "high" humidity, but it's something about the dew point that usually keeps us from really feeling it

The first time I ever went to the south, I helped my little sister move down to louisiana (her fiancee had just gotten a job as a diver) and got my first taste of "real" humidity. The heat exchanger in the house he had rented for them wasn't working, and her name wasn't on the lease yet so the management company didn't want to talk to her.

holy FUCK that house was uncomfortable. I would never, ever live in those conditions without air conditioning.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love going into June with it still 50's and rainy

Weaver on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

Ok.

Now what?

Baby, to be absolutely fair, Perth is usually high-temps low-humidity in the summer and low-temps high-humidity in the winter.

That said we had a muggy 40 Celsius day with 78% humidity this past summer. THAT sucked and we had no A/C. But it was also a rare occurrence.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER