As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well see dragons roost on those cliffs and they'll shoot fire at anyone who disturbs them

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the fact that those are the two of the places he's gone rock-climbing in that he found it particularly challenging because of the heat and humidity?

plus I'm pretty sure there was no A/C at any of the places he stayed during his climbing trips

or breeze, as he clarifies

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Melding wrote: »
    why? what is so special about china and thialand?
    Because they are consistently hot and humid.

Mind you climbing in the cold is completely different kettle of fish.

That just plain hurts.

Your fingers can't feel anything. Then you put some load into them. Then they start go hurt, then really hurt. Then the nervous system in your fingers goes, fuck this. Then you can't feel anything at all, then you tear your hands open because you can't feel anything then five hours later you get feeling back and it hurts some more.

Blake T on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sometimes you do the climbs over water with no rope so when you fall, you go straight into the water and start over

Multiply this several times over with all the others climbers and the wall gets progressively wetter and it's like a million spiders trying to climb out a toilet bowl on the surface of the sun

Oden on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plus yeah he was in one of the most brutally humid places in China

riverlands walled in by mountains

the place is basically like a giant rice cooker

(which is funny because I'm pretty sure they grow rice in that region too)

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike about hot weather is when I am sweating in nice work clothes.

I mean I will go and dig a ditch or whatever in full sun, I don't care.

I hate making nice clothes though look silly with massive sweat stains.

You liar! You do so care! I saw your facebook post of your poor, soft engineer's hands after you were forced to use them besides doing engineering-type duties! it was somthing along the lines of abloo-bloo-bloo if I recall correctly!

I posit that you're hands are as soft and fleshy as my midriff, sir.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    well see dragons roost on those cliffs and they'll shoot fire at anyone who disturbs them

Ah, see this i can't compete with. We only get wyverns round here.

Now they are no push over to be sure, but they aren't dragons.

also, while i don't rock climb, weeks at a time of living in triple digit heat and humidity while still doing heavy lifting i'm sure is at least comparable.

Though early morning digging even at 100 is not so bad. but come 4 ye gods i just wanted to die.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    it's true, when Blake punches me in the face it feels like someone just pelted a marshmallow at my head

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My hands are as soft as your mum's titties.

I actually work hard to keep my callouses down thankyou.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe Alex's mum has fake tits that feel like bags of rocks.

Don't be insensitive, Blake, gosh.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Soft hands are pretty awesome, I agree.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    not having calluses seems counter-intuitive to someone who climbs things for fun. You can wear gloves, I guess if you have to....

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    From what I understand gloves are crap for climbing because it compromises your grip strength.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    viv, you just made domestic violence hilarious. That was fantastic.

My mum had breast cancer and now has no boobs

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Calluses are the worst things you can get on your hands and you would do well to sboid them.

My hands just have a thicker, better layer of skin than yours.

Blake T on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A friend of mine is a keen climber. So when he goes to the indoor place to train he just does the climbs that are all done with your fingers. So he just has calluses on his finger tips. They are gross

Oden on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wh-wh-what? I'm not the one complaining about blisters on facebook! Don't you turn this around on me!

Oden knows the score

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am just constantly wearing the skin off my finger and it grow back.

I now no longer have fingers that can supply fingerprints to those scanning thingies out the front of nightclubs.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    huh. I must follow suite so I may begin my long and lucrative career of glassing people.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PAYDAY!

Weaver on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    The only way I could afford a deposit (£14k in 2008) was by living at home rent-free. If I'd been paying any rent at all then it would've taken a hell of a lot longer to get the money together with the market crashing and minimum deposits going through the roof.

Around the house though I tend to flit in and out of jobs until something snaps and I finally finish everything in one go. There was a hole in the kitchen ceiling that was slowly getting bigger because of a leak from the bath above, and after ignoring it for a few months I ended up replacing the waste pipe in the bath and completely redecorating the kitchen and dining room.

Likewise in the spare room one October I decided to knock out a built-in cupboard that used to house a water heater. The room then stayed partially trashed for a good 8 months before I worked up the will to strip everything out, redecorate and get new furniture to make it an actual bedroom.

I've had a half-painted gate for about a year and a half now. The wallpaper is really peeling off in our bedroom, and the teddy bear wallpaper in my study needs stripping out where there was a leak in the roof a year ago as it's gone mouldy.

Owning a house is great because you can do what you like to it -- I don't have to get permission to put a picture up or rip out some coving that looks crap. The only problem is finding the time and the inclination to actually do what needs doing.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When I was renting that huge house in Bothell, so glad I wasn't the owner when the entire septic system had to be replaced.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    when i rented that huge brothel, so glad I wasn't the owner when the entire septic system had to be replaced

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    when I rented that huge bothan...um

I uh

m-many died to...ah

like,

what I mean is

Seriously on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    welcome to [strike]bot[/strike]hell for a day or a lifetime

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i am 26 and live at home

i am a manchild

i have no money

wheee

Beasteh on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just rent some rooms out for a while and make your money back

sheesh

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    seriously though that sucks

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still renting here but probably paying more than I should be. I'll maybe do this downtown living thing another year after this lease and then if I can't find a way out of Cleveland permanently I'll rent a cheap duplex or something and save for a move that way.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Since we bought our house I've replaced the heater, swamp cooler internals, part of the deck (which really pisses me off because I'd rather just build a new one but that costs more than I have), refrigerator and the entire master bath. Thank god for Craigslist.

The nice part is we paid 10k for it, dropped another 2k in so far and it's nearly doubled in value. Hooray!

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I plan on doing the renting thing for awhile longer.

Someday it'd be nice to own my own place, I guess?
    Mostly just want a place with a yard so I can get a dog.

Renting life is treating me nice though. It's very convenient.
    Washer broke a lil while back. Told complex about it. Next day I had a new washer!

skettios on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spudge wrote: »
    we paid 10k for it, dropped another 2k in so far and it's nearly doubled in value. Hooray!

where do you live

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a singlewide trailer. First home and whatnot

It's tiny, yet a surprising amount of storage space

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    Mostly just want a place with a yard so I can get a dog.

Definitely this. I miss having pets.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    faits wrote: »
    we paid 10k for it, dropped another 2k in so far and it's nearly doubled in value. Hooray!

where do you live

I saw his post on the trailer but you'd be surprised how many smaller foreclosed homes are going for around 12k right now.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    faits wrote: »

where do you live

I saw his post on the trailer but you'd be surprised how many smaller foreclosed homes are going for around 12k right now.

there are some half of a duplex on a main street with your door opening onto sidewalk type things that you can get to for around the price of a car here. Granted, a home like that will never increase in value.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd love to buy me into some duplexes or even some other trailers

Rental property in a college town can be gold, Jerry! Gold!

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am 26 and live at home

i am a manchild

i have no money

wheee

this post is like I'm looking into my future

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I considered that a couple years ago and even toured some decent duplex homes but I don't have the time to maintain one and if I subcontracted everything out it would cost a fortune.

Butters on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »

I considered that a couple years ago and even toured some decent duplex homes but I don't have the time to maintain one and if I subcontracted everything out it would cost a fortune.

Exactly. Renting out a home is not a gold mine by any stretch of the imagination. Well, maybe if you're a slumlord.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg