Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The DC Universe (Established 2011) + Sept. Solicits

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
UPDATE: FULL SEPTEMBER SOLICITS

It is that time, folks. Time for DC to completely reboot all of their titles for the first time since Crisis on Infinite Earths, and in a much more coordinated and organized effort.

imageprocasp.jpg

Flashpoint apparently will change everything, in a Flash. DC's only two titles shipping on August 31st: Flashpoint 5, and Justice League #1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. The league is looking quite different here; they all seem to be much younger. Jim Lee, Cully Hamner and Mark Chiarello have redesigned all of the characters. Not just those ones above. Like, almost literally, all the characters in the DCU.

And also, you might note that a lot of you were right about Flashpoint in that
Spoiler:

JLA is riding the walrus, though. Behind it, a total of 51 other new series or reboots (52 total) will be arriving in September with #1 issues.

So, what do we know about the launches and reboots so far?
-Flashpoint really seems like an excuse to mess with things. Some characters might be in for some very drastic changes, some may disappear, and others (particularly Batman and Green Lantern) will just be picking up where they left off in August. If you want some more insight into this, check out Bleeding Cool's ongoing coverage of the Post-Flashpoint DCU.

-JLA and Action Comics will be the corner stones of the new universe, and their first arcs will be new secret origin stories (yep, another secret origin for Superman) set 5 years in the past. Judging by solicit text, other books may follow this pattern as well (JLI, Hawkman, and Firestorm for example).

-Additionally, your favorite Wildstorm Universe characters (hahahahaha) will be joining the DCU and teaming with big name DC heroes in a new group of titles labeled "The Edge!" It's been some time since Grant Morrison's midling WildCATS/JLA crossover.

Full List of Number Ones & Covers:
(Courtesy of Magna Inferno)

The Complete DCnU titles in September
Spoiler:

Solicits and release dates are coming Monday, so keep an eye out for those, and let's have this be the DC solicit thread for September as well.

HadjiQuest on

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ALL ABOARD THE JOHNS TRAIN!

Also, Hal was a giant gun penis. Watch out Carol!

Plus my avatar and title are now relevant again.

PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wait a minute

a new OMAC series

as in Jack Kirby's OMAC?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wait a minute

a new OMAC series

as in Jack Kirby's OMAC?

Rumor has it, yes.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well that may just be a thing I will buy

• HullisHullis Prepare yourself! Johnny Cage is not afraid to die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is happening right after i am out of boot camp

why

i need that boot camp money to buy a new computer

mhdbgi.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    wait a minute

a new OMAC series

as in Jack Kirby's OMAC?

Rumor has it, yes.

The modern day OMAC design isn't too ugly-looking to me. It'd be nice if they went a little further with that Omega-Sentinel-like idea they did a mini-series around but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I mean, it's not like they've done much with Omega Sentinel herself over in Marvel.
    Spoiler:

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No sir, I don't like it.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well that may just be a thing I will buy

Yeah, this is the first book rumored about this whole thing that I might buy.

• CadeCade Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This kind of reminds me why I gave up on DC, especially if they go even more backwards then they have already.

Can't wait for someone to be in charge to help kick this silver age kick of theirs.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure I'm going to like this new Superman based on what I've been hearing.

• Crimson KingCrimson King th- this is my hole it was made for meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are they One More Daying Lois and Clark? That is what I heard but I'm not sure I've heard it right.

DS: 4742 - 6001 - 2106 add me to your friend safaris
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is a rumour that will happen

A so far entirely unsubstantiated one

edited June 2011
    That's one of the things I'm concerned about, yes, if it proves to be correct.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been mulling it over and I think I am more concerned than optimistic. Things that worry me:

-The company doesn't have a good track record with thinking out and planning these big changes.
    -Even if it turns out to be a good reboot, boy, am I reboot weary.
    -Grumble grumble Barry Allen grumble
    -There's something weird about it being a heavily Geoff Johns-envisioned DCU, even moreso than usual. But maybe that's normal? Was Post-Crisis DC taking cues from Marv Wolfman?
    -One of the reasons I read DC over Marvel is the legacy aspect, and it saddens me that it is no longer a defining part of the DCU.

edited June 2011
    The thing is, I have not read much DC stuff

so I am not really losing anything, and I can read cool new stories

I do sympathise with you long term fans, but for me this is a really good thing.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, hey, if they're rebooting the DCU, why not go nuts with these last arcs? Were the writers not in on the loop? You could do some pretty fantastic, amazing work if you let some of these characters have an ending to their story.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grant Morrison Superman. Oh, man.
    Lux wrote: »
    Also, hey, if they're rebooting the DCU, why not go nuts with these last arcs? Were the writers not in on the loop? You could do some pretty fantastic, amazing work if you let some of these characters have an ending to their story.
    Just the idea of it makes me think Reign of Doomsday is someone going completely g-d nuts.

• Linespider5Linespider5 I'll see you in 24 hours. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is exactly the sort of thing I love the concept of but never seem to trust when it actually comes to pass.

I guess my issue more than anything is that Jim Lee is redesigning pretty much everything to be Jim Lee-d. I'm having a hard to voicing my concerns on this. I should like it, but I don't. Yet.

2014png.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey hey hey
    Ba de ya, say do you remember
    Ba de ya, the DC reboot in September
    Ba de ya, never was a red sky day

As for the Justice League, 14 members?

justiceleagueinternational62f.jpg

toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
    edited June 2011
    maybe the JLI will be involved or something

or maybe the League will be more like it is in JLU, and actually a league as opposed to some sort of club.

I always liked the idea that the league was pretty much all the heroes, but that the big seven sort of had informal positions of command.

• TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been mulling it over and I think I am more concerned than optimistic. Things that worry me:

-The company doesn't have a good track record with thinking out and planning these big changes.
    -Even if it turns out to be a good reboot, boy, am I reboot weary.
    -Grumble grumble Barry Allen grumble
    -There's something weird about it being a heavily Geoff Johns-envisioned DCU, even moreso than usual. But maybe that's normal? Was Post-Crisis DC taking cues from Marv Wolfman?
    -One of the reasons I read DC over Marvel is the legacy aspect, and it saddens me that it is no longer a defining part of the DCU.

Sleeping on it, what I don't really get is a few things:

1) from all accounts the Batman and GL stories of the past few years will be relatively unchanged. These were also Johns and Morrison's major areas int he DC Universe. So the big two get their toys to stay the same but other characters don't? That's kind of a shame.

2) connecting with #1, if you're going to go completely new with a reboot, why not go from the ground up?

3) Will this be the 100th time we see a reimaging of the Action Comics #1 cover?

4) the legacy aspect is a part I'm bummed about, but also the idea that to make things relevant you have to go back on people's ages instead of just going forward with new characters and ideas. That way you really own the idea that this is a relaunch, and you have the JSA being the Golden age, the JLA being the silver/current age, and all the new characters being the, I don't know, digital age of heroes. It creates such a nice stepping stone.

Like Wildcat, I'm really weary of what they will do to Superman, even if Morrison writes his book (unless they get married in the first issue). Even Morrison knew not to linger on that triangle in All-Star Superman and was one of the main guys in the proposal from years ago to back off on erasing the marriage, but he's in a much more powerful position now, hopefully he can do the same thing here. But I doubt it, because old is new.

edit: didn't Lois and Clark get married in Smallville? Wasn't the whole point in that series to make the two be as iconic as Hatcher and Cain in Lois & Clark, which also had the two getting married? How is a single Superman reflective of those things that had greater audience than current comics?

toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You realize you guys are forming rumors in your head and then reacting to them like they've been announced, right?

edited June 2011
    The Batman and Green Lantern stuff seems to be confirmed, if the Burnham tweet and CBR article is any indication. And Simone tweeting about Adventure Comics starring Deadman seems to go with the Bleeding Cool article about Deadman starring in the relaunched Adventure #1.

toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I mean the whole marriage/rebooting/legacies stuff.

On Dan Didio's facebook page he said "And by the way, never used the word "reboot.""

• NinjabearNinjabear Lvl 5 Daggerman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what does this mean for the younger super hero characters like Tim Drake, Conner Kent, Batgirl, Damien, etc.?

Play Hearthstone with me: Ninjabear#1307
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Probably nothing!

It's not a reboot!

They'll all be on Teen Titans, most likely!

saiyan2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    So what does this mean for the younger super hero characters like Tim Drake, Conner Kent, Batgirl, Damien, etc.?

They're all going to be gone and I'm done reading DC for forever. Thanks a lot, Geoff Johns

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Maybe so, but the company has also recently seen a complete overhaul in editorial team. Give em a chance, I say.

pygsig.png
    edited June 2011
    Looking at the cover, Hal doesn't have a ring on his hands.

......Ion?

toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Looking at the cover, Hal doesn't have a ring on his hands.
    As phallic as that mingun construct is I would look ... lower.

But damn, for a moment I thought Rob Liefeld drew Barry until I realized it was just Jim Lee.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are they renumbering some of their historic books like Action and Detective? Seems like a shame to me to renumber books in the 900s.

As for Batman and Green Lantern staying the same, it makes sense. Out of everything DC is publishing right now, those are definitely their best sellers. Morrison has already changed the entire Batman legacy with Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. And I know people like to complain about Johns, but he is the man responsible for Green Lantern's current popularity. Green Lantern was a dying book before Johns.

Plus Flashpoint #1 was good. Very good. And its not like Johns steals all the "glory moments" for himself. Tony Bedard, who is the GL newbie, was given the major plot twist in War of the Lanterns.

BN_Sig3.jpg
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Don't believe anything based on rampant fan speculation.

Don't believe anything based on a unsubstantiated comic book web-site "reporting," since often what you're reading is just a big game of internet telephone (this site said this, then another site picked it up and butchered parts of it, then a 3rd site picked it up from the 2nd site and butchered it further, etc.)

Prime example: I am not writing Teen Titans.

So then, don't believe anything specific until you hear it specifically from a verified DC source.

-- Fabian"

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Well, wow. It's not like they're releasing information in dribs and drabs in order to fuel the hype and fan speculation for their big relaunch or anything. No sir, it's just that their blog feeds only take so many words a day before they have to be refuelled.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Love that Cyborg is on the JLA, even if he looks like Shards of Glass Man. I am really only afraid for Grants Batman and Damian in particular.

steam.php?id=tychokepler&pngimg=shiny&tborder=0
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    Love that Cyborg is on the JLA, even if he looks like Shards of Glass Man. I am really only afraid for Grants Batman and Damian in particular.

I know, right?!

DC could not possibly be dumb enough to fuck that up, though.

pygsig.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, having taken a day to think about it, I'm more agreeable to a reboot/renumbering.

I hope, though, that DC makes sure it is consistent across all titles. If you're going to go in a different direction, fine, but make sure that is spelled out in the comic. Don't make the reader reconcile the JLA just forming for the first time and Blackest Night having happened already, sort of, somehow, with a bit of handwaving and vague language.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced this will finally get me to stop caring about the DCU, and drop the few books I still read. I'll wait until I see who's writing the books to come to a conclusion, but if the Flashpoint tie-ins are anything to go by, I'm not holding out much hope.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, if DC wants to take this opportunity to undo some stupid bullshit, I wouldn't mind them just wiping Identity Crisis out.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    (Just in case anyone was wondering I was being hells of sarcastic)

saiyan2.jpg