As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

E3 Keynotes 2011 - Talking shop for shoppers at ship - Nintendo June 7 @ 9am PST

1424344454648»

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I totally slacked off watching it before, but I just watched the trailer for Kirby Wii.

Kirby using Kuribo's Shoe = Game of the Year!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I totally slacked off watching it before, but I just watched the trailer for Kirby Wii.

This Kirby game is the new Duke Nukem Forever

It's been in inception since Gamecube.

It's never coming out.

Also - The New 3DS Kirby where you toss lots of little kirbys at things looks like a 2-D pikmin.

SO WHY ISN'T IT PIKMIN NINTENDO?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    It wouldn't be a Nintendo console without a Kirby game in perpetual development. Shit's been going on since at least the N64.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a Nintendo console without a Kirby game in perpetual development. Shit's been going on since at least the N64.

No this particular game used the Melee engine originally. It's been through tons of revisions since Sakurai quit and came back.

King Riptor on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kirby Mass Attack looks waaaay more hilariously fun than Kirby Wii.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Kirby Mass Attack looks waaaay more hilariously fun than Kirby Wii.

Like I said it's basically an arcade pikmin.

Alas.

I'll still buy it but a traditional Kirby is something I've wanted for a long time as well.

King Riptor on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This Kirby game for the Wii has nothing to do with the Gamecube one. They are completely different. You can not look at the two games and make any connections between them aside from the fact that they are Kirby games.

I think this new one looks pretty crappy and boring.

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2011

This Kirby game is the new Duke Nukem Forever

It's been in inception since Gamecube.

It's never coming out.

Also - The New 3DS Kirby where you toss lots of little kirbys at things looks like a 2-D pikmin.

SO WHY ISN'T IT PIKMIN NINTENDO?

Eh, Duke was 14 years. Kirby is only about 6.

Honestly though I doubt much of the Gamecube version was even retained. As I recall, the Gamecube one was closer to Kirby 64 in style - way more "3D" than this. Also I think it had the shitty animals that ruin every Kirby game they are in.

I imagine the title was just so late in the GC's life that it was going to be ported over to Wii instead. But I almost wonder if that's what killed the timeline. I mean, think back to early Wii - they had to shoehorn motion shit into everything. How do you add motion controls to Kirby? Struggling with that probably caused HAL to shelve the thing in favor of other projects. Then New Super Mario Bros Wii came along. The huge success of that game probably brought this project back from the dead with some similar mechanics (again, fucking thank you NSMB Wii, and others, for proving to developers there is still a place for 2d games!).

This is just my guess of course. But it makes sense. Kirby's Epic Yarn probably inspired work a bit as well, especially considering it really didn't start as a Kirby game (it may have even been the idea at the time to slap the license on there just to get *some* Kirby game on Wii).

BTW, Kirby Mass Attack is for DS, not 3DS. Shame, but the game does look pretty damn fun. Oh, and Pikmin 3 moved to Wii U, so yeah.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

No this particular game used the Melee engine originally. It's been through tons of revisions since Sakurai quit and came back.

Well, I meant the fact that Nintendo always has a Kirby game shown and then it either eventually gets cancelled or re-worked. Air Ride was in development for the N64 for ages and finally saw the light of day on GameCube for example.

FyreWulff on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kirby for the Gamecube didn't have the animals. It had helper characters that could be controlled by other players, like Super Star.

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2011
    Kirby for the Gamecube didn't have the animals. It had helper characters that could be controlled by other players, like Super Star.

kirby-adventure-wii-screenshot-big.jpg

That is totally an animal

Warlock82 on
    edited June 2011
    It's not, though. It's an enemy. You suck up the enemy, and another player can take control of it. Just like in Kirby Super Star.

Edit: It changes color when the player controls it, it seems, but you can see that enemy at about 0:50 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2l5BSBSL0

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2011
    I guess I confused it with one. Actually from that video that game looked pretty cool - and like mostly done. Bah.

Warlock82 on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also Kirby's Dreamland 2 had animals and was awesome. So I'm not sure what the problem with them is.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited June 2011
    What I liked about the Gamecube one was that it looked like the natural progression of what Kirby should have been after Super Star. Which was great because Super Star is the best Kirby game. I don't know what this new Wii one is trying to be, but it doesn't interest me in the least bit.

There's more than one Kirby series, basically. There's the first game, Dream Land, and then there's Kirby's Adventure, and then they split up into two. Dream Land 2 splits off into an alternate universe-timeline where Kirby games are about animals and cute things and... whatever, and that continues with Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64. The original Kirby series continues with Kirby Super Star, and that's where it ends.

(I'm going to make a graph and devise a plot-based explanation for what made a timeline split occur. brb.)

Sakurai designed the "original timeline" Kirby games, but not the others. That's why there's such a big difference in tone and design style between them. If Sakurai was designing the GC Kirby game before he left HAL, maybe that's why it was eventually canceled?

mntorankusu on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Well since you guys are being party poopers.. or maybe not party poopers enough.. :winky: I'll change the rules of the game, pray I do not alter them further.

Post a picture of yourself angrily giving my last contest rules the bird and win a full Steam game.

Oh..... I thought you wanted an angry bird.
    captureje.png

They based the game on this guy.
    *sigh* I guess that's better than nothing. You win via the two greatest words in the English language, default. PM sent.

Looks like you're still stuck with the game :lol:

Thanks anyway man. <3

Big Classy on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks like I still have that copy of Magicka, what should the contest for this one be?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks like I still have that copy of Magicka, what should the contest for this one be?

I've never played Magicka, I keep hearing good things about it but I haven't been motivated enough to bite the bullet and try it out. Would it be ok if you just gave it to me, please? :)

Wait I mean

I think the final contest should be whoever expresses a sincere interest in the game and asks nicely first!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    Also Kirby's Dreamland 2 had animals and was awesome. So I'm not sure what the problem with them is.

I disagree. Dreamland 2 had like 6 copy powers because of the animals. It also followed Kirby's Adventure which was insanely more awesome in every way.

Warlock82 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dritz wrote: »

I disagree. Dreamland 2 had like 6 copy powers because of the animals. It also followed Kirby's Adventure which was insanely more awesome in every way.

Dark Matter is the awesomest name/idea for an evil alien ever.
    The_many_faces_of_Dark_Matter_by_klobber.jpg

Even death may die, bitch.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I've never played Magicka, I keep hearing good things about it but I haven't been motivated enough to bite the bullet and try it out. Would it be ok if you just gave it to me, please? :)

Wait I mean

I think the final contest should be whoever expresses a sincere interest in the game and asks nicely first!

Fine you win.. *grumbles* party poopers.. Enjoy.

Edit: Son of a bitch, I had another piece of digital swag for everyone, but I misread the card. I thought I had to wait till the 13th for this new game to be available, but the reusable code was only valid TILL the 13th. Sorry, because of my mistake you all missed out on it. :(

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bah, no need to apologize. It happens. :P

urahonky on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This Kirby game for the Wii has nothing to do with the Gamecube one. They are completely different. You can not look at the two games and make any connections between them aside from the fact that they are Kirby games.

I think this new one looks pretty crappy and boring.

I don't understand how you've reached that conclusion. All the vids I've seen make it look totally sweet.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think they look about the same except the new one looks way better and more like Kirby and less like Smash Bros with a Kirby coating.

Shrug!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Bah, no need to apologize. It happens. :P

You know actually now that I think of it, I don't think it was my fault, I think the guy that gave me the card said wait till the 13th to activate it. It was all HIS fault! :x

The_Spaniard on
    edited June 2011
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19603294#post19603294

Just an update, I'm giving out more E3 games over in the GoG thread.

The_Spaniard on