As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 Keynotes 2011 - Talking shop for shoppers at ship - Nintendo June 7 @ 9am PST

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drakeon wrote: »
    hgckm.png

I don't understand the significance.

At the very least that means they still think about it occasionally, which is a good sign that one day they may make a sequel when Kojima gets bored with whatever hes doing.

You didn't explain what "it" was though :(

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hgckm.png

I don't understand the significance.

At the very least that means they still think about it occasionally, which is a good sign that one day they may make a sequel when Kojima gets bored with whatever hes doing.

You didn't explain what "it" was though :(

snatcher-front.jpg

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought Zone Of The Enders when it came out.

The MGS 2 demo paid for it.

Yes, there are people who will pay $50 for a demo.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the only news on potential new games was a brief mention of a Frogger 3DS game with no media, a brief teaser for a new Contra title by showing just a Contra 'C', the next iteration of PES, and NeverDead?

No wonder they didn't do a live show, they'd have been booed off the stage.

Yes, the HD remakes are neat, but that was 80% of their show.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    what exactly are you expecting out of Konami these days

it's not like they've been lighting it up outside of Metal Gear Solid for the last 10 years

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

it's not like they've been lighting it up outside of Metal Gear Solid for the last 10 years

I was expecting new footage of the new Metal Gear Solid. They didn't even do that.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think by the time we see that game again it's going to look completely different

especially if the rumors of Platinum taking over development are true

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh. Weird. Why isn't there a souped-up MGS1 in the collection?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Piotyr wrote: »

I was expecting new footage of the new Metal Gear Solid. They didn't even do that.

Yeah.

You know, because it's not like it still has over a year at least until release, and that's barring any unforeseen circumstances that lead to delays and rescheduling.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    they'd have to completely remake that game.

remember how long Street Fighter II HD Remix took to come out? yeah.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's no reason they couldn't just port the PS1 version of MGS1 (and include VR Missions, which is like the best MGS game) and increase the resolution. It would even look a lot better in HD with texture filtering and without the PS1's signature jumpy textures.

They're not improving the graphics on the other games at all, and they don't mind making it available on PSN, so I don't see the problem.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    hell there is a mgs remake for gamecube, it not hard to just make the buttons work for the ps3 and remove any Nintendo namedrops.

knightblade87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Huh. Weird. Why isn't there a souped-up MGS1 in the collection?

I imagine that it's because it's both more difficult to remaster for HDification, and also because they can make that seperately instead of part of a collection and make a mint

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yes, there are people who will pay $60 for a demo.
    Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

On-topic, I've played the shit out of the MGS series (was someone hating on Subsistence in here? Cause Subsistence is way better than Snake Eater. [also Twin Snakes for life]), so not too interested in the MGS collection.

Never played ZOE tho, might give that a shot.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

On-topic, I've played the shit out of the MGS series (was someone hating on Subsistence in here? Cause Subsistence is way better than Snake Eater. [also Twin Snakes for life]), so not too interested in the MGS collection.

I don't care what people say, Crackdown was great. I actually bought it and never even did the Halo 3 beta even though I totally could have :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

I don't care what people say, Crackdown was great. I actually bought it and never even did the Halo 3 beta even though I totally could have :P

You and me

Also very happy about ZOE HD, and glad they're releasing it on 360 as well, because the 360 controller makes too much sense for that game

I actually plan on getting all three of these; SH and MGS for PS3 and ZOE for 360. It'll be nice to finish SH3, never got around to beating it before.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd REALLY be impressed if the Metal Gear HD Collection included Document of Metal Gear Solid 2. (It won't)

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Bullshit. 5 years? Sure but from 2001-2006 they produced some fucking classics.
    I think by the time we see that game again it's going to look completely different

especially if the rumors of Platinum taking over development are true

At this point I think we can conclude that that rumour was complete rubbish. Never mind the fact that Kojima and Kamiya found it funny, where exactly are the Steam versions of the MGS HD Collection? And why would the old MGS Rising director show up in that 'conference' video if he'd been given the boot?

Why? I somehow doubt they'll include the inferior versions of MGS2 and MGS3 in there. They'll almost certainly have all the in-game upgrades (like Subsistence's camera), they just probably won't have the extra discs (so no MG1, MG2 or PS2 version of MGO).

The one thing I wish they'd do actually, is fix the MGS2 ending. It's been 10 years since 9/11, surely they can just throw those cutscenes back in so it is a bit more coherent (rather than instantly teleporting into the middle of the city).

Oh and
    Twin Snakes sucks donkey balls.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The one thing I wish they'd do actually, is fix the MGS2 ending. It's been 10 years since 9/11, surely they can just throw those cutscenes back in so it is a bit more coherent (rather than instantly teleporting into the middle of the city).

Yes, this

I love MGS2 so much, especially its ending moments, but when I hear about the cut scene I always think about how cool it would have been

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kojima tweeted:
    Texas company "Blue Point" who made the "God of War (HD) Collection" did the HD edition of MGS2 and MGS3. For this, the best quality of the HD version is ensured. MGS3 is 60 fps as well.
    Well that's confirmation they'll be fantastic ports. Blue Point are also the ones that ported ICO and Shadow of the Colossus by the way (and Sony are sitting on till Last Guardian gets closer to release).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Blue Point is Sony's (and now Konami's) go-to for Ports? Is it a company designed just to make HD versions of games or do they have a future outside of such tasks?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank Christ

GoW Collection looks and runs so damn smoothly

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    So Blue Point is Sony's (and now Konami's) go-to for Ports? Is it a company designed just to make HD versions of games or do they have a future outside of such tasks?

Some companies are just like that. They were more prominent in the N64/PSX days when devs weren't big enough to do their ports themselves, but another example is 4J Studios, who ports all of Rare's old titles to XBLA

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Bullshit. 5 years? Sure but from 2001-2006 they produced some fucking classics.

err what exactly? I'm genuinely curious as I can't think of anything of the top of my head and looking through their list of releases on wikipedia shows nothing but rhythm games for those years (a hell of a lot of rhythm games oh my god)so i'm assuming something has to be missing

edit: going through some other lists i've found suikoden III and ZOE second runner as non MGS games they've done in that period so I guess they were churning out some things, huh.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Some companies are just like that. They were more prominent in the N64/PSX days when devs weren't big enough to do their ports themselves, but another example is 4J Studios, who ports all of Rare's old titles to XBLA

I wonder how lucrative that is, being a professional port-porter. I wonder how one stays active without any companies reaching out.

EDIT: In reference to the quality of games in past years, Konami's been pretty spot-on with their Castlevania games.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh hey, the best Metal Gear Solid game finally remade for consoles where people will actually play it. Hot damn.
    And it comes with 2 and 3 free as minor pack-in bonuses. Not necessary, but spiffy none the less.

(Also, does ZoE collection mean a decent chance at ZoE 3?)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I stand corrected after doing more research. Most of Konami's games (MGS, Castlevanias, Soccer) aren't my thing so I kind of ignore them =0 I am super psyched for the ZOE HD collection though

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I wonder how lucrative that is, being a professional port-porter. I wonder how one stays active without any companies reaching out.

EDIT: In reference to the quality of games in past years, Konami's been pretty spot-on with their Castlevania games.

On handhelds, anyways

It would be nice if they made a console Castlevania that wasn't garbage

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It would be nice if they made a console Castlevania that wasn't garbage

They fixed the problem by outsourcing that job to a company that can. :P

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lords of shadow ruled take it back

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Konami made the fantastic Castlevania DS games. That's what Konami should be making more of.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lords of shadow ruled take it back

It didn't and I will not

Harmony of Despair was also pretty bad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lords of Shadow is a good game fuck all of you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kojima just tweeted:

"I am glad that you enjoyed the "Japanese dubbed version." I was worried since it was self-made video we made hastily after the decision not going to E3.(Not like the US version which was released at the same time, we shoot and edited by ourselves.) When we did dubbing, Mr. Akio Otsuka said "Why are we dubbing despite of the the fact that the video is already in Japanese?" Even though, he enjoyed to play. "

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can not wait to experience this boss battle in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38_2KBhOE0

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The best part about ZoE2 is that even though I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, I don't remember shit about it as I played it once on a rental at its release.

Well, I remember he was called Dingo

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's not true. You also remember Ken.

Because man those were huge.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm interested to see ZOE2 in HD. It always struck me as one of the PS2 games that due to clever style and graphical tricks looked far better than a PS2 game had any right to look. I wonder how that translates when it's hi res running at a better framerate.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    err what exactly? I'm genuinely curious as I can't think of anything of the top of my head and looking through their list of releases on wikipedia shows nothing but rhythm games for those years (a hell of a lot of rhythm games oh my god)so i'm assuming something has to be missing

edit: going through some other lists i've found suikoden III and ZOE second runner as non MGS games they've done in that period so I guess they were churning out some things, huh.

Silent Hill 2 and 3? Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin? Pro Evolution Soccer? Shadow of Memories? Suikoden V?

Konami were one of my favourite developers last gen (alongside Capcom), they've just turned to shit for the most part this gen (alongside Capcom). Their one redeeming aspect is Kojima Productions (whereas Capcom's is the Ace Attorney team).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dunno man.

Capcom has far more great current gen games than konami.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy