As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

E3 Keynotes 2011 - Talking shop for shoppers at ship - Nintendo June 7 @ 9am PST

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Capcom is shit? Did they get the memo?

Must have been lost during all the money they made off Street Fighter IV.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Capcom is shit? Did they get the memo?

Must have been lost during all the money they made off Street Fighter IV.

I was going to argue this as well but then I thought about it for a second. If you're not a fighting game fan, Capcom hasn't really done much this gen. DMC4 was kinda lackluster, neither Lost Planet was all that great, Dead Rising 2 was developed by a western studio, some people thought RE5 was disappointing (I really liked it) etc etc.

They're making money hand over fist on their fighting games, but I guess if that's not your thing you could be upset with them as a developer.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DMC4 and RE5 sold quite a bit man.

They don't just make money from fightin' games. :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dead Rising 1 was japanese. And awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »

I'm not saying that they didn't sell well, just that I could see why someone who doesn't play fighting games as much as I do might think that Capcom hasn't been very strong this gen as a developer.

Fig-D on
    edited June 2011
    Thought you were talking about sales when you said "money hand over fists", sorry. :P

Eh, I can agree on that I guess. Though capcom games still compel me alot more than konami games these days.

Antihippy on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

If sales were a sign of quality then Call of Duty's the best game ever...

Actually look at some of the games Capcom released last gen. REmake, RE4, Onimusha 1-3, DMC1+3, Okami, Viewtiful Joe 1+2, God Hand, Breath of Fire V, Maximo 1+2 and Killer 7.

What have they released this gen? Sequels that stuck to similar formulas (SF4, MvC3, MM9+10, RE5 and DMC4), uninspired mediocre new IPs (Lost Planet and Dead Rising) and shitty western games (Dark Void, Bionic Commando and Dead Rising 2). Compared to last gen, they're a pathetic sight.

They do have two upcoming games that I'm actually interested in though (Resident Evil Revelations and Dragon's Dogma), which is double the number Konami has (excluding the HD Collections, there's just Metal Gear Rising).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited June 2011
    Thought you were talking about sales when you said "money hand over fists", sorry. :P

Eh, I can agree on that I guess. Though capcom games still compel me alot more than konami games these days.

That's my fault for putting it in that sentence and specifying fighting games. It's 1:30 am here and I'm rather tired so my posts are getting kinda... jumbled and dumb.

And yeah, I'm more excited about Capcom's new game lineup over Konami's. Granted, I can only think of one new Capcom developed game that's coming down the pipes but that game is Dragon's Dogma which is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than MGS: Rising or that other game that I can't even remember right now.

Fig-D on
    edited June 2011
    Actually look at some of the games Capcom released last gen. REmake, RE4, Onimusha 1-3, DMC1+3, Okami, Viewtiful Joe 1+2, God Hand, Breath of Fire V, Maximo 1+2 and Killer 7.

Well, the developers of around half of those games left capcom, so there's that. :P

Antihippy on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    While they haven't yet pumped out the quantity of games released last gen (has any developer?) Capcom are fine. SF4 is totally awesome. MVC3 (from what I've played) is even better, going to pick it up soon. Dead Rising 1 was great fun, easily one of my favourite and most unique games experiences from earlier this gen - but can't seem to get enthused about the seqel or the XBLA games which are supposed to be good too. I actually liked Lost Planet, but didn't bother with the sequel as the controls were a bit weird for something so co-op orientated, and there were other games which I knew would squeeze it out of regular online play with my crew. Most of Capcom's other games don't really speak to me, but Dragon's Dogma looks choc full of all kinds of win so far, going to be watching that closely.

But then I didn't have a boner for them last gen, so...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011

Well, the developers of around half of those games left capcom, so there's that. :P

I know but it's not like Capcom aren't to blame for letting them go. They put their money behind a hack like Inafune while two of the most successful designers in the industry (Kamiya and Mikami) walked out the door.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every single Clover game failed to meet expectations.

No excuse for RE 4 though, they dropped the ball with that relationship.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Just a friendly bumpminder that it'd be a really good idea to bookmark the web IRC client or the channel/server inside of your IRC client of choice right now BEFORE the forums collapse into a black hole. But hopefully they don't.

FyreWulff on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I know but it's not like Capcom aren't to blame for letting them go. They put their money behind a hack like Inafune while two of the most successful designers in the industry (Kamiya and Mikami) walked out the door.

One of those 'successful' designers wasn't making them money, though.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every single Clover game failed to meet expectations.

No excuse for RE 4 though, they dropped the ball with that relationship.

Though to be fair they didn't exactly advertise either. If there was a commercial for Okami I never saw it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got my days off from work for E3 (nerd, I know), so I'll be around to do the wrap-up threads. The Konami one was NO FUN to do because it was a pre-recorded POS.

My expectations for MS' conference as our opener for the day: eh, not bad but not good (which... I guess makes it bad). Kinect talk is what I expect, and their 'megaton' at the end will probably be foreplay regarding the next gen.

Henroid on
    edited June 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »

The one that directed RE1, REmake and RE4 or the one that directed RE2, DMC1 and Viewtiful Joe?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Most excited for the EA conference by about a mile

Dox the PI on
  • knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Most excited for the EA conference by about a mile

them and nintendo, EA for mass effect and TOR, Nintendo for cafe. sony will be fun to see them play the biggest damage control since their bad 2006 E3, which i think they follow that up next year with a molesting wookie.

knightblade87 on
    edited June 2011
    Mass Effect 3, The Old Republic, Battlefield 3 and Insomniac's game.

we so excited

Dox the PI on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If anyone wants to see the chat, but can't use an IRC client due to firewall restrictions, you can check out www.agoaj.com/IRC.html

You'll have to F5, but it's more likely to be up than the forums.
    It's probably going to crash at some arbitrary number of characters. If it seems to have just stopped suddenly I

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »

The one that directed RE1, REmake and RE4 or the one that directed RE2, DMC1 and Viewtiful Joe?

Viewtiful Joe and God hand despite being excellent were not money makers.

I think. Joe had like 18 awful sequels and an anime.

Well nobody played God hand I know that.

King Riptor on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Just a friendly bumpminder that it'd be a really good idea to bookmark the web IRC client or the channel/server inside of your IRC client of choice right now BEFORE the forums collapse into a black hole. But hopefully they don't.

Bookmark'd, thanks for the reminder

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011

You think Capcom would've approved the 3 Viewtiful Joe sequels if the first one wasn't profitable? No. It was profitable, mostly because their team was small.

God Hand and Okami were the Clover games that did actually bomb but then so what? One bomb from each of them and suddenly they're not successful or don't make money? The two guys that're responsible for the best games Capcom have probably ever released? Bull. If Capcom's management had any brains they would've thrown millions at those two to stay. Instead they put their money behind Inafune and he's turned the company into a joke.

Unco-ordinated on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait so Nintendo's conference is only an hour? That seems all kinds of short.

Zerokku on
    edited June 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »

That's how long it was supposed to be last year but it went over by 15 minutes (I think)

Dox the PI on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Zerokku wrote: »

That's how long it was supposed to be last year but it went over by 15 minutes (I think)

Huh. Seemed longer than that, though maybe its just with how much awesome shit they packed into it last year.

Zerokku on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It does seem weird that Nintendo only has an hour to demo Zelda, announce a bunch of shit for the 3DS, and still have time to talk about their new console and reveal all it's features and shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2011
    Maybe they should borrow some time from Sony :P

Dox the PI on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks like Youtube finally switched over to 2011 mode and is going to be streaming the keynotes. I've added them to the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/e3

FyreWulff on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It does seem weird that Nintendo only has an hour to demo Zelda, announce a bunch of shit for the 3DS, and still have time to talk about their new console and reveal all it's features and shit

Yeah, not to mention the new games for the Wii.

Heh.

Absalon on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why am I making myself lose sleep over the Microsoft conference? I'm not even interested, but its first so I must get up early for it. EA on the other hand, I have no intention of blinking during that. Maybe an occasional blink for Ubisoft. Sony...I think I'll skim some articles the next day, or at least leave IRC on a monitor and wait for Team ICO to appear on it in some form.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    edited June 2011

You think Capcom would've approved the 3 Viewtiful Joe sequels if the first one wasn't profitable? No. It was profitable, mostly because their team was small.

God Hand and Okami were the Clover games that did actually bomb but then so what? One bomb from each of them and suddenly they're not successful or don't make money? The two guys that're responsible for the best games Capcom have probably ever released? Bull. If Capcom's management had any brains they would've thrown millions at those two to stay. Instead they put their money behind Inafune and he's turned the company into a joke.

You know he quit right? Like months ago. Inafune was as unhappy about the Capcom higher ups as anyone. Not that I agree with his views on the matter but did you see the new Devil May Cry? Who the fuck okayed that shit ?

King Riptor on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I liked Infuane a lot. I thought his abrasiveness was totally understandable. He wanted to try new things (and he had every right to, he created some of the biggest franchises Capcom has) and they pretty much told him to shut up as they kept pumping out sequels. He reacted like a child, but hes a good guy overall.

Capcom is dangerously close to the edge of my shit list. I loved Marvel vs Capcom 3, but couldnt have been more pissed off with how it was handled after release. The new Resident Evil looks very un-Resident Evil to me. They're not localizing Edgeworth 2. The new DmC looks...yeah.

Where the hell is the company that made Cannon Spike.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited June 2011

You know he quit right? Like months ago. Inafune was as unhappy about the Capcom higher ups as anyone. Not that I agree with his views on the matter but did you see the new Devil May Cry? Who the fuck okayed that shit ?

Inafune WAS basically the Capcom higher up for quite a while there. He was the one that continually pushed for Capcom to be involved with more western studios and develop more western style games. So who okayed DmC? Inafune.

And he pushed Mikami out so he has no sympathy from me whatsoever.
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Yeah I liked Infuane a lot. I thought his abrasiveness was totally understandable. He wanted to try new things (and he had every right to, he created some of the biggest franchises Capcom has) and they pretty much told him to shut up as they kept pumping out sequels. He reacted like a child, but hes a good guy overall.

Like what exactly? The guy has made a career out of getting credit for other peoples creations. Megaman? Nope. Onimusha? Nope. He's a hack.

Unco-ordinated on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dead Rising was all him. He was ambitious enough to make a movie out of it too. Not a great one, but he did it.

And I give him credit for Mega Man. Few things in the world are the sole creation of one individual, and for almost every single thing you can find someone who doesn't like the person saying they're a hack for stealing someone else's ideas. The truth is usually a collaboration, and Inufane's done enough other stuff to show me he more than likely had a hand in a lot of great franchises.

You can't have it both ways. You say he approved the awful DmC, which even if he did clearly was when he was on his way out and stopped caring, but if that's the case he also approved and saw the talent in a bunch of other great things Capcom put out.

And to veer this back on topic - my big prediction is that SOMEONE will show off something for Kinect that will make EVERYONE here go "oh wow...that is incredible."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The first Viewitful Joe did okay for itself. Subsequent VJ games... er, didn't.

I'm not going to argue that simply kicking them out of the door was a good idea, but the plain fact of the matter is that Clover essentially existing as its own developer within Capcom and being given free reign to make whatever games it pleased wasn't working.
    Like what exactly? The guy has made a career out of getting credit for other peoples creations. Megaman? Nope. Onimusha? Nope. He's a hack.

If we're talking the character, Mega Man is Astro Boy with more clothes, so I'm not sure anyone should be jumping up and down to claim credit for his creation.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And to veer this back on topic - my big prediction is that SOMEONE will show off something for Kinect that will make EVERYONE here go "oh wow...that is incredible."

Somewhat surprised Child of Eden isn't already doing that.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not making people go "wow" because it isn't Kinect exclusive. It's obviously a good game based on its pedigree, graphics and overall style, and will surely be fun to play, but everyone will be able to enjoy it sans Kinect. It's not a game that justifies the peripheral (in most people's eyes).

I mean, you're free to disagree, I just think that's a logical reason why Child of Eden isn't making people think Kinect is incredible, as you say.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2011
    Yup, you're right - I guess 'I can still play it with my pad' is a pretty valid reason.

Still, the previews which have mentioned the Kinect control scheme have been positively glowing, insisting it's the way the game should be played.

But again, until you actually have a go, these deep impressions can't be imprinted, and getting people to have a go (in the right conditions) is the tricky part, let alone make them part with their cash.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg