As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whose poems feature standard prosody, little stylistic variation, etc.? (Frost, &c.)

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
First, an explanation for this weird request: I'm not a big poetry buff, but I'm curious about a possible project. I'd like to analyze the reproduction of written poetry using a Text To Speech system. As such, I'm curious as to which authors feature very "plain" looking poetry in American English. By "plain", I mean minimal to no Shakespearian thyne-word-fanc'ful'ness. Again, I'm no lit major, so I feel frustrated not being more articule than that.

Here's an example of a poem by Robert Frost that meets my criteria. The spelling is in typical American English, and the writing is relatively similar to standard prose. If there's a term for this, I'd love to know it. Most Frost poetry fits this bill. As a counterexaple, here's the kind of poetry I am not interested in. What other authors could H/A recommend who write in this style?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does it have to rhyme?

You might try Carl Sandburg.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    William Carlos Williams comes to mind.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You may want to look at some British renaissance poets: Robert Herrick, John Donne, and Ben Jonson, for example.

Toldo on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I suggest Raymond Carver's poetry.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alan Ginsberg will fit the bill, as will Kerouac. Try Howl.

spool32 on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you want more specific direction, I'd say Billy Collins, Adrienne Rich, Charles Simic, Wilfred Owen, Robert Lowell, W.B. Yeats, Wallace Stevens, Theodore Roethke, Pablo Neruda... I could probably go forever actually so um, yeah. Maybe just browse that thread.

Quoth on
  • Options
    spcmnspffspcmnspff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I suggest Raymond Carver's poetry.

Second this.

Also, if you want plain spoken but with rhyming, then this one is pretty great.

And if you want to rile up Quoth, use this one.

spcmnspff on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It is true, my hatred of Bukowski is legendary. Second only to my dislike of David Lynch.

Quoth on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It depends on what you mean by "plain", exactly.

Frost was innovative because he, along with many others, began to write poetry that looked "traditional", but was more concerned with the interplay of sound and cadence than with specific forms which dictated certain sound-types. In this regard, Frost stood with one foot on either side of the bridge between form and formlessness. His verse still retains a heavy insistence on rhythm and cadence, but he junked the silly forced rhyme schemes of previous artists. He famously sought to write in a style that was reminiscent of "normal conversation" by the aim of producing verse that sounds like a conversation overheard from under a closed door (no words, just the rhythm of speech).

If you're simply looking for the absence of "fancy speech" you're actually just looking for poetry that was written after the point where most of the English language was codified and standardized. Really, then, you could pick any poet writing after, say, 1850ish.

If you're looking for more of a "free verse" devoid of any sort of initially obvious concern with "traditional form" you could begin with Whitman and work your way through the Modernists (Pound, Frost, Eliot, H.D., Lowell, Williams etc.) through the Beats (Kerouac, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti) to pretty much anyone writing since 1960 or so (avoid Collins, slam and Henri Cole because they're horrific).

Actually, I think the Modernists are what you're looking for, really. They held great respect for form and tightness of style, but also "broke" with the style to avoid the sing-song rigid forms of the past (for the most part). Frost is pretty much the poster-boy, here.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Disagreeing with Crowing One. I rather enjoy Billy Collins. Recent poet laureate, plain language, etc. He's a bit too mainstream for some people, being so popular, but his work is pretty good.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Disagreeing with Crowing One. I rather enjoy Billy Collins. Recent poet laureate, plain language, etc. He's a bit too mainstream for some people, being so popular, but his work is pretty good.

I just like to poke jabs at the people I've met who have been silly geese.

But more examples, Elizabeth Bishop may be somewhat perfect. Robert Browning may follow too strict of a form for you, but he was pretty much the direct predecessor of the style made popular by Frost. Johnson and the rest of the gilded age poets could work, as well.

Browning, actually, would be a big suggestion.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah. I was just thinking of Collins because he always reads his own poems in a dead monotone anyway. Would probably work with a machine.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Monotone worked wonderfully for Yeats, who would also be a good suggestion. In fact, most of Quoth's list is pretty spot on:
    Quoth wrote: »
    Adrienne Rich, Charles Simic, Wilfred Owen, Robert Lowell, W.B. Yeats, Wallace Stevens, Theodore Roethke, Pablo Neruda.

So on a more general note, you're in good shape if you look toward the periods between 1890 and 1960, or so. Earlier will find you with non-colloquial, "strange" English, and later will give you a touch too much chaos in the departure from structured verse. Of course, there are numerous exceptions to that statement.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you check that link I posted, you'll find a lot of even more contemporary stuff, most of which I think would also suit your purpose. I posted some prose poems as well, and I tend to favor more prosaic stuff to begin with because that's just how I roll. So instead of scouring the net for things by certain authors, you've basically got an already curated collection to get you going.

Quoth on