As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come, Fire Walk with Me (Twin Peaks++)

• GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys guys guys...

600full.jpg

Can't we all just get along?

GRMike on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GRMike wrote: »
    Guys guys guys...

600full.jpg

Can't we all just get along?

My wife approves.

mrt144 on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I love this show.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what is all this stupid bullshit arguin' up in here

short story: twin peaks is nothing without its characters. while it has the illusion of being a plot driven show with laura palmer's murder as the centerpiece, it is anything but. it is a show about a completely batshit insane suburban town with crazy characters that just so happens to have some real evil shit happen there.

but the evil is not as important as the characters' reaction to/participation in them.

that's why you care about annie.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ducknerdducknerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    no no no this thread can't devolve into bullshit hissy fits. I've had this show kicking around on my hard drive for like a year and never had someone to watch it with.

ducknerd on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got up to episode six today, still pretty good, the characters are what carry this show so far.

dbrock270 on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ducknerd wrote: »
    no no no this thread can't devolve into bullshit hissy fits. I've had this show kicking around on my hard drive for like a year and never had someone to watch it with.

That's not where shows go.

Aneurhythmia on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i watched this show when i was a kid with my dad

what the fuck dad

also, parents went out with friends when the finale aired. i was at home and watched it. later when my dad asked me what happened, all i could do was shrug.

TyrantCow on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is easily my favorite TV show of all time.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i watched this show when i was a kid with my dad

what the fuck dad

also, parents went out with friends when the finale aired. i was at home and watched it. later when my dad asked me what happened, all i could do was shrug.

This is pretty much what happened at my house. We actually went to X-Men with my parents this weekend and while standing in line I asked them why they let me watch Twin Peaks and my mom claimed she never even remembered me watching it and my dad confessed it gave him nightmares... Then it got really quiet.

It was bizarre.

GRMike on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My parents were good parents and didn't let me watch this as a kid.
    They couldn't stop me from watching it a few years ago and I agree with people that it was a great thing.

The same can't be said for my grandparents that let me watch Tales From the Crypt around the same time............

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • ocpmovieocpmovie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man. Started watching this on netflix. This show. This. Show.

You'll never believe this! There was a fish in the percolator!

Cilla Black on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could not continue this show after a couple episodes.

part of it is that it's a big commitment to watch a whole tv show,

part of it, is that it is a tiring, uninteresting show because it wants to be weird just for weirdness' sake. like most Lynch stuff.

is it any surprise his best movie (which is superb, period) is the one with the least weird crap in it? The appropriately named Straight Story.

Deusfaux on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    part of it, is that it is a tiring, uninteresting show because it wants to be weird just for weirdness' sake. like most Lynch stuff.

is it any surprise his best movie (which is superb, period) is the one with the least weird crap in it? The appropriately named Straight Story.

hahahaha holy shit, this post

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah not getting a weird for weirdness sake vibe pretty much at all from this show. The only exception has been
    In episode 2 when the dead girl's Mom hallucinates some random guy staring up at her. At first it freaked me out a bit because the atmosphere of the scene was so good, but then I looked closer at the guy and he wasn't intimidating at all. Just some dude with a ponytail crouching down and looking up over an armrest. It was actually a little silly.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah not getting a weird for weirdness sake vibe pretty much at all from this show. The only exception has been
    In episode 2 when the dead girl's Mom hallucinates some random guy staring up at her. At first it freaked me out a bit because the atmosphere of the scene was so good, but then I looked closer at the guy and he wasn't intimidating at all. Just some dude with a ponytail crouching down and looking up over an armrest. It was actually a little silly.

that is for a very particular sake, don't worry

Charles Kinbote on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I could not continue this show after a couple episodes.

part of it is that it's a big commitment to watch a whole tv show,

I thought about giving a detailed response to your points, but y'know, it's a big commitment to write a whole post. It's also tiring and uninteresting to try to talk to people who just post for the sake of being contrary.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    saying that Lynch is weird for weirdness' sake is also daft enough that why bother

blue velvet is one of the best American films of recent memory

for that, go to 4:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAT9V2wHx3M&feature=related

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2011
    Charles Kinbote on
  • ducknerdducknerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ducknerd wrote: »

That's not where shows go.

Sentiment shared, but I divide my time between places with high-speed internet (college) and places with very slow internet (home), so I will pirate things in my Netflix queue that I'm interested in eventually watching but don't expect to get to until a break.

Just finished episode 4, and the scene where Leland
    dives onto the coffin and the stressed crank makes it rise and fall like a breathing chest
    was one of the grimmest and funniest things I've ever seen in a television show. This show is very good at not making me know what to feel.

ducknerd on
    edited June 2011
    mentions of illegal activity are enormously unwise

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2011
    This show is really effective at going from an amusing scene to a creepy one in a short timespan without ruining either. Is this a common Lynch thing (not really familiar with his work) or is it just Twin Peaks?

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2011
    that is classic Lynch

watch the second clip I posted!!

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2011
    God, Agent Cooper is really fantastic.

"By way of explaining what I'm about to show you, let me explain to you about the country of... Tibet."

Wonder how many more episodes before someone tries to kill him. (I hope they don't succeed)

Cilla Black on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God, Agent Cooper is really fantastic.

"By way of explaining what I'm about to show you, let me explain to you about the country of... Tibet."

Wonder how many more episodes before someone tries to kill him. (I hope they don't succeed)

I love that whole episode - the red room at the end is maybe the coolest scene ever on TV

big l on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I just finished that episode, and Cooper's dream. What the fuck.

What the fuck

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2011
    I've got so much to do tomorrow morning for work with packing and moving and shit

but...

just one more episode

Cilla Black on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have such a love for David Lynch. Even if all he has ever made was Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet, he would be one of the best. Thankfully, he made a whole lot more interesting stuff.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cooper's grand

it's been too long since I've watched this

Seriously on
    edited June 2011
    big l wrote: »
    James is just brutally bad. It's amazing that a show with so many great characters could strike out so hard on James. I want to make a custom edit of Twin Peaks that removes every scene with James except

when awkward magic happens

I mean that is up there for weirdest scene in the series. So random. The "That was really good, let's try it again" at the beginning is what really makes it. They're practicing this repeatedly? What?

I think it was that scene and the scene before it with Dale and that Army General that almost made me lose hope with the series.

dbrock270 on
    edited June 2011
    james being awful is part of the charm of the series

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    james being awful is part of the charm of the series

Yeah but it was just that hugely embarrassing scene and then the scene before it where they are talking about
    the possibility of aliens
    that made me think this series was going into a downward spiral of nonsense.

dbrock270 on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Twin Peaks makes me wish that David Lynch did more with his career.

I mean, I enjoy his films, but it just feels like his catalog could have have been a little bit larger given the time that his career has spanned.
    And I don't agree with him wanting an Alan Smithee for Dune. It had a sweet cast and Toto did the soundtrack. Also, when it's 1984 and you want to do a Dune movie, that is how you do a Dune movie.

Fellhand on
    edited June 2011
    but dbrock

twin peaks was nonsense from the getgo

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    actually dune got absolutely ripped apart by the studio so it's totally reasonable that he would want to smithee it

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2011
    It got ripped apart by critics and audiences too.

dbrock270 on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just finished watching this show. What the hell?

I really liked it, but it was a crazy ride to an end I didn't suspect at all.

Edit: Also, now I get to watch all of The Wire on HBOGo now that I'm done with Twin Peaks.

Xtarath on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah to me this show isn't so much about the plot as it is about the characters and the atmosphere. I don't really care so much about the plot itself. It's sort of interesting, but only as a vessel to produce more atmospheric conditions with my favorite characters.

Also: Bobby is a weird fucking character.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2011
    The show gets legitimately frightening during the second season.

dbrock270 on
This discussion has been closed.