As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

INSOMNIA - like immortality, except you're gonna die

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
funny-cartoons-insomnia.gif

INSOMNIA!

Not that Norwegian movie.

Or the Chris Nolan remake of that Norwegian movie.

But that sleeping disorder.

That disorder that leads to browsing the internets and finding downright hilarious images like the above.

I can't sleep. Most of the time. It's starting to become somewhat inconvenient; I'm a student nurse. I wake up at 5am, work from 7am til 7:30pm. I get exercise, I don't drink coffee, I don't take crystal meth, I just don't get it.

So rather than ask the delightful SE++ for fixes / advice, figured I'd just see who else is destined to wander this night alone forever (until we die because we're not actually immortal).
This thread is also not about the Bengali rock band or the Stephen King novel.

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dumb analogy, pony avatar

insomnia is a sleeping illness?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was the best I could come up with on short notice.

Yes, it's a sleeping problem. Or to be more specific, a LACK of sleep problem! NYOHOHOHO.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What about the game studio?

More on topic:
    Have you always had problems sleeping? Is there an obvious source of stress or recent change in your life that might have caused this? Do you take medication that lists trouble sleeping as a possible side effect? When you're getting ready for bed, what are you doing (reading, watching TV, doing work, etc)?

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you know what really sucks

handlebar palsy

half of my left hand has been practically useless for nearly a week

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you can't sleep because of what you did [tiny]to Dark Ravens one through nine.[/tiny]

doesn't explain my situation, but there ya go.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am a diagnosed insomniac

but I'm a lot better now than I used to be. I stopped drinking caffiene after lunchtime, I get a bunch more exercise

also I was diagnosed Parkinson's Disease and I only jiggle when I'm really tired and it made it really hard to sleep and now I'm medicated for that.

#pipe on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some things in my life have been pretty crappy as of late, so I started having trouble sleeping. Then I basically made myself addicted to these melatonin supplements I had. Nowwww I just get to be uncomfortable.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't get insomnia very often, but when I do...

oh boy

I really sympathize with your situation

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whenever I miss a dose of my meds I end up staying up all night.

It always blows.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sal wrote: »
    I don't drink beer very often, but when I do...

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, that's my first call in sick due to lack of sleep.

...of course, I'm sure they'd have lol'd at me if I said that, so I said I was throwing up everywhere.

Still. Better to miss a shift and have someone replace me than turn up with a 24+ hour sleep deficit and kill someone, right?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had ice cream

and now I'm going to write

I stayed up till like 3 AM writing a speech last night. Turns out it's not due until tomorrow! Whooops.

Now I have to write 3.5 more responses to news articles, collect a bunch of random shit around my house for school tomorrow, then practice my speech.

I will probably be up until like 3 or 4 again, not because of a medical condition, but because I fuckin love procrastination.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My band played at a big hippy music festival over New Years one year

The festival went for 5 nights. We played on nights 1,2,3 and 5. We were accomodated in tents and it was unbearabely hot and dusty.

Those first three nights I didn't get any sleep. And not because I was partying - I wasn't. I just couldn't sleep in the tent in the heat.

So after our show on the 3rd night, I drove really really slowly and carefully the hundred miles or so back to my house so I could get some sleep in my own bed with my own air conditioning.

I arrived home at 4am, went straight to sleep, slept until 7pm, got up ate some food watched a little tv, went back to bed at 10pm, woke up at 11am and drove back to play the last show.

#pipe on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My brain doesn't work right when I try to fall asleep. It's basically over active, and I don't get the right amount of time spent in stage 3 and especially stage 4 sleep. Plus I have apnea, which really fucks me over.

Hunter on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think I've got insomnia, but there are time when I'll just lay awake until 1am (I get up at 4am for work), like two nights in a row, just stressin'. I've found having a notepad by my bed so I can jot down anything that's stressing me out really helps. Strangely, laying on the floor for a bit also helps

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i dont have insomnia because i am normal

zzz

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The last couple years of college I developed slight insomnia. The cure I found was listening to podcasts as I go to bed. I have a really big problem with just thinking too much before going to bed, so listening to two or three people chat for an hour tends to block that tendency enough for myself to fall asleep.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been trying to sleep since 4 p.m.

My prom date just texted me "good morning"

I'll probably be up for a while, probably won't go to school tomorrow.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SERVER ERROR!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    take more ambien

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The last couple years of college I developed slight insomnia. The cure I found was listening to podcasts as I go to bed. I have a really big problem with just thinking too much before going to bed, so listening to two or three people chat for an hour tends to block that tendency enough for myself to fall asleep.

This is exactly what I do

I've listened to every episode of You Look Nice Today around 40 times each.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been told to get some of that Unisom stuff.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    drink some wine and tough it out, bitch

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I would take some klonopin but I have no idea where my bottle is

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

This is exactly what I do

I've listened to every episode of You Look Nice Today around 40 times each.

I haven't had much insomnia lately but that is probably a by-product of being so exhausted every day that I just hit my bed hard into slumber land. I guess graduating college will do that.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    have you considered just getting buck instead

not enough people get buck these days

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Weird things that help with insomnia (Told to me by an honest to god sleep doctor) - Sleep somewhere other than your own bed, IE a sofa, or someone elses bed, move your bed somewhere different in the room. With your eyes closed in bed, try to imagine very vividly that your bed is moving, as if it were driving down a road or flying through the air. Sleep with your feet uncovered to keep them cool. Sleep the opposite way round in your bed. Try to sleep on the floor, and when you're all drowsy and tired switch to your bed (or sleep on the floor if you're awesome enough).

I solved my insomnia by managing stress, a mixture of the above methods and very importantly I always make my bed before leaving the house, so it is tidy and all I have to do at night is get into it. I don't spend excessive amounts of time in my bedroom unless I intend to sleep. Never lay on my bed unless I intend to sleep. And try not to use the computer an hour before bed. Oh, and listening to the Giant Bombcast.

It's about seperating your life time from sleep time and keeping sleep time is a nice stress-free bubble and training your brain to know it's okay to let go and sleeeeeeep.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    awww jeah, reading an insomnia thread at 4 AM

Green on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    livin the dream, Green. Livin the dream. :P

who, I'm do a lot of those things that the honest to god sleep doctor recommends, maybe I just missed my calling in life

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my dick is flaccid, there is no weed

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD