As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a new diet plan

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I finally come to the conclusion that if I want to lose more weight I need to change my eating habits.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I have horrible diet and I actually lost close to 100 pounds by half assing the diet portion of my lifestyle while keeping very active. That's actually what made me realize I needed to change my eating habits. I work out 6-7 days a week, with a mix of cardio (up to running 15k), rock climbing, tennis and weights and I mainly plateu in weight.

So where do I start? I already dropped soda (had been drinking only diet) but snacking is what's killing me (specially at work) I don't eat much fastfood, but on the weekends I will go out with friends and I think that hurt's me as well. Any tips or ideas? Specially for portable breakfasts I could take to work.

Kyougu on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A weekend meal like that shouldn't be too bad. When you say "snacking", what sort of snacks are you talking about?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you have a microwave at work? How long between leaving your place and work? I generally bring an omelette with me in every morning in a Tupperware container. I'm close enough that it'll still be warm. I mix it up with meats, vegetables, etc.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The simplest way is to simply up your protein and drop your carbs. Carby proteins don't count. Upping your protein will make you less hungry (which is obviously the key to success) and dropping your carbs will reduce your calories (the real way to lose weight).

It makes it easier to eat out, too. Go to chipotle? Get a burrito bol instead of a burrito. Bam, you saved 280 calories and it's still delicious. Want more? Bam, get a salad; same thing but with lettuce instead of rice. Still super full at the end, too. Same idea works at restaurants -- maybe you SHOULD get the steak and asparagus instead of the plate of pasta. That doesn't sound so bad of a swap, yet it's more protein and lower carbs.

Not a "no carb" diet, but just an easy way to mentally figure out what fills you up (proteins) and what gives you too many calories (carbs). Adjust your portions accordingly.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    eggy toast is right on. It's tough, but you need to carefully consider everything that you eat, asking yourself 2 questions - 1) do I need to eat this at all and 2) is there something better that I could eat.

Atkins makes these low carb bars (day break I think) that are around 150 calories and virtually no net carbs. For breakfast I usually have two hard boiled eggs and one of the bars - that's an extremely filling breakfast that nets about 450 calories. I also sip iced coffee throughout the day and that helps keep my hunger down.

I still eat a fair amount of carbs, but I've lost some weight because I avoid foods where all or most of the calories come from starches

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Look into a 16/8 intermittent fast, something like a leangains style (www.leangains.com)

This is much much much easier than you might think it is, and as I was once where you were, I can assure you that this is the sort of thing you need to finally bust through those shitty plateaus. Took me a very long time to figure this out when I was stuck around 210 after losing 100 lbs.

Karrmer on
This discussion has been closed.