As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter - 3rd Strike Online out. In case Yun being the best in AE wasn't enough.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
WDfeI.jpg
(Click the image for an AE FAQ!)

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

So you wanna be a Street Fighter?
Step 1: Fundamentals
The information in the spoiler will help you get started!
Gooteck's Guide for Beginners
The Footsies Handbook
A list of common Street Fighter notations
A glossary of common Street Fighter terms
Shoryuken New Player Forum
What to practice in practice mode.
Know your character some more! Getting a little deeper.
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvtbvgU_Rk"]Vesper Arcade Guide[/vidurl], pretty good for total newbies, gets into more advanced stuff in later chapters.
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc]Video on hit confirming.[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k]Video on option selects[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUe7HkRkNM]Video on spacing and zoning[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA]First in a good series[/vidurl] of videos on zoning, knockdown and something else good that I forgot.
Step 2: Getting more serious.
More information than you thought existed, and arcade stick info.
The Street Fighter Wiki page
Eventhubs.com
How to read frame data.
Shoryuken Forums - Character specific forums are great!
Why good players lose to bad ones.

The best thing you can do is play people better than you. Losing sucks but you learn a lot more than from people who you just steamroll. Get in lobbies with other PAers, since we run the whole skill spectrum. They're nice and will help you with advice and stuff. Furthermore, in Super, you can watch your own replays to see why you lost! How cool is that?
Step 2a: Getting a fight stick.
The Joystick Rant
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some stick related links:
The SRK Tech Talk Forums: Everything you need to know to mod or build your own stick.
Switching from a pad to a stick.
Arcade Stick Guide - Complete with reviews, faq and glossary!
Slagcoin's Ridiculously In Depth Joystick Guide
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY"]Ways to hold a joystick[/vidurl]
Step 3: Watching the pros, learning the matches
The PA Fighting Game Community!
The PA SSFIV AE Friends List of Friendly Friends! Add yourself to the form here, view the list here

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL. So people know, we are naming ourselves LFG_YourName in irc if you're looking for a lobby, and LFM_YourName if you're looking for more people! Simply use /nick to change your name in chat. You should use a non web client because sometimes the web client breaks while the server is still up for some unknown reason.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

ChaosHat on

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how Bison has an appropriately honored position in that poster.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If anyone is arranging a Steam 4 pack with the stupid low American price, I want in.

Peewi on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I like how Bison has an appropriately honored position in that poster.

I came up with a new on the fly: you kept teching the light ball into throw, so I started throwing out medium balls from the same distance. Got a few cheap hits that way. :)

chamberlain on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still need to buy my MS bucks. Though I have a friend that's getting an xbox for this. Is there even a disc release?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Still need to buy my MS bucks. Though I have a friend that's getting an xbox for this. Is there even a disc release?

Yes, SSF4AE is getting a stand alone release a little later on all platforms. PC only gets the standalone version, due to no Super.

Peewi on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have about 4000 ms fun bux because of the sale last fall. I'm set for AE.

Also, I changed my mind and will stick to both Sagat and Bison. Will probably throw in Akuma just to piss off Makoto players.

Ranced on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I remember a few weeks ago I was at 0 Microsoft space bucks, and it was glorious. I didn't think I'd ever manage that but I did... course, I ended up buying more points later but it was a great week.

aBlank on
  • e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    If anyone is arranging a Steam 4 pack with the stupid low American price, I want in.

That's 3 people so far then? Uno mas por favors!

Anyways if my Dhalsim can't handle the dive kick festival I might switch to Seth, he looks rad in AE.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had a fall out with Mahvel...and had a re-falling in with my Goddamn TE in the process. After a long hiatus, I'll totally pick this up Tuesday, but tell me this: Are Abel, Guy, Chun Li and Cody awesome/still awesome after all the balancing?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Unless your favorite character is Fei Long, your character probably did not fare so well. Even or worse is about the norm.

ChaosHat on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cody got a couple minor buffs but he is otherwise the same iirc, dunno about anyone else

actually all the characters I like made it out ok, so meh

might try learning dan since his normals are buffed with shorter recovery times, so he has some new combos apparently

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    I had a fall out with Mahvel...and had a re-falling in with my Goddamn TE in the process. After a long hiatus, I'll totally pick this up Tuesday, but tell me this: Are Abel, Guy, Chun Li and Cody awesome/still awesome after all the balancing?

Cody get some hardly noticeable buffs, Guy received a few small buffs as well, Abel got some hefty nerfs, and Chunners got a few small nerfs as well.

Abel is the only one where I'd say your going to notice a big difference.

EDIT: Unless you played Chun-Li a whole lot. Her changes will be noticeable to those that main her exclusively and/or at high levels of play, not so much otherwise.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went on last night for a few hours to brush up on my Sakura. I played 11 Balrogs and one Ryu. That's it. It was really odd. No idea why there was such an influx but it was definitely the character of the night.

Can't wait for AE. So stoked.

chadwalk on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    e2db wrote: »

Anyways if my Dhalsim can't handle the dive kick festival I might switch to Seth, he looks rad in AE.

Me, over here

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Montreal annual SSF4 tourney right now : http://www.justin.tv/eschamptv#/w/1292599840

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    today I learned Psycho Crusher blows up Ultra Spark and you can't air throw Psycho Punisher

ggs Biz!

Walt on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arde wrote: »
    Montreal annual SSF4 tourney right now : http://www.justin.tv/eschamptv#/w/1292599840

Thanks for the heads up. Been awhile since I've watched a stream!

I'll be on later today if anyone wants to get some fights in.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    you can't air throw Psycho Punisher

Hm

I'm pretty sure you can.

Ranced on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everyone here needs to help me train for CEO once AE drops.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    today I learned Psycho Crusher blows up Ultra Spark and you can't air throw Psycho Punisher

ggs Biz!

Yeah, I air throw it all the time.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everyone here needs to help me train for CEO once AE drops.

I kinda wanted to go to this since I'm living in Orlando now, but I haven't played in a while and it costs money to spectate. Boo and boo.

chadwalk on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    South Florida needs a tournament.

That isn't run on 360s.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    South Florida needs a tournament.

That isn't run on 360s.

The majority of people in the florida fighting game scene is on 360. Just learn to play on stick and borrow someone's.

Chadwalk: come to CEO. I'm going to go 0-2 but I'm going to have a blast hanging out in orlando anyway.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would, but 3 hours for a tournament that I will get slaughtered in... no thanks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    I attempted an air throw on Biz during the U2 animation, it whiffed, and I got psycho punished.

Walt on
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i will be at CEO!
    i hope i can learn to play arcana heart decently in time to enter

Sillender on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Radius wrote: »

ggs Biz!

Yeah, I air throw it all the time.
    Yea I love waiting for it. "The end has come!"
    For you sir, for you.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited June 2011
    I figured it was coming. I tried to air throw it. It whiffed. I got hit.

It is just part of the legend of Biz.

Walt on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first few frames of the take off are immune, but after that it can be air thrown.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ranced wrote: »
    I have about 4000 ms fun bux because of the sale last fall. I'm set for AE.

Also, I changed my mind and will stick to both Sagat and Bison. Will probably throw in Akuma just to piss off Makoto players.

I've seen very few AE vids of Akumas beating Makotos. It's possible it was because the Akumas sucked and the Makotos were godly, but I like to think that it's just Makoto is better.

Who's maining Evil Ryu on Tuesday? Gotta get used to the gigantic fucking flood of those online.

Morvidus on
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First thing i plan to do is give Makoto another try.

Maybe i won't suck so bad now. Probably will, but maybe.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i have no idea who i want to play in AE.

Probably end up playing balrog again grumble grumble

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Practice karakaras and other nonsense before the release, thats what I've been doing to prepare. Some matches will be less horrendous of course but you still need to get over a fairly large mechanics bump to really put her whole kit in motion

Of course its just so tempting to pick balrog/bison/honda and you know, win and stuff. I should have taken advantage of the reign of charge characters in Super and gone to more tournaments

I plan to pick up yang because i imagine he will once again be criminally underplayed. Air slashes every day!

TIFunkalicious on
    edited June 2011
    Sakura's still my main, that won't ever change.

I've yet to use her in a bonafide tournament, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I mostly played Dee Jay and Hakan before, and they both got buffs so I figure I'll try them out first.

Though it's important to note that when playing Hakan I only had a single goal: Land his U2. If I achieved that, then I considered the match a victory, even if it was the only hit I got on my opponent in the entire match.

Lars on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »
    e2db wrote: »

Me, over here

Just want to reiterate that I am up for the four-pack

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I would also like to be part of the 4-pack. I posted right at the end of the last thread.

Hey Jaunty, you played much Super Meat Boy lately? Do you hate me on the leaderboards? :)

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm up for the 4 pack too.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2011
    Wait, what's the 4-pack thing?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wait, what's the 4-pack thing?

PC version on steam has a 4 pack where it's cheaper per unit than to buy it individually. So people are pooling money to save money.

Good games Blank - I like how we picked Barlog at the same time. Some fun fights - your Bison and Seth are great! You shoulda taunted more as Dan though! :(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius