As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PonyThread Q: To Be Continued...

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what's that little framed doodle there?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm more interested in the flowchart. It doesn't look like any version of the "problem solving" one I've seen.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    idea: replace that flow chart with this one

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Atlur wrote: »
    I've tried using the pen tool several times in the past, and got to the point where I can usually make it do what I want, but it rarely seems worth the amount of effort it takes me, especially after I got a tablet.

The pen tool is best-used for creating a masking layer or creating a selection of an area where you want nice, clean, rounded lines for extracting something from an image.

To be honest, it usually doesn't see a ton of usage in Photoshop but it's the backbone of Illustrator.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Atlur wrote: »
    I've tried using the pen tool several times in the past, and got to the point where I can usually make it do what I want, but it rarely seems worth the amount of effort it takes me, especially after I got a tablet.

The pen tool is best-used for creating a masking layer or creating a selection of an area where you want nice, clean, rounded lines for extracting something from an image.

To be honest, it usually doesn't see a ton of usage in Photoshop but it's the backbone of Illustrator.

Has anyone made a tutorial for GIMP? I'd like to draw a pony or two, but I refuse to buy/pirate PS or Illustrator...

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, I'm amazed at just how MUCH the blue pony looks like that guy in Pokemon. I didn't even watch Pokemon that much, I can't readily identify who that was in the show, but the minute I saw the comic my mind immediately went, "Oh hey, it's Pokemon Guy."

I'm contemplating how to pony-up my workspace too! I have to share a cubicle with three people (fortunately it's a large cubicle) so my wall space is limited . . . So far I just have three little blind-bag ponies on my desk.

LadyM on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What happens if a pony Pokemon trainer encounters a Ponyta/Rapidash or Blitzle/Zebstrika?

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    His name is Professor Oak and he is a Pokémon professor.

And yes, the likeness is uncanny!

What happens if a pony Pokemon trainer encounters a Ponyta/Rapidash or Blitzle/Zebstrika?

The same thing that happens when a human being encounters Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Machop/Machoke/Machamp, Medicham, Mewtwo, or any of the other pokémon that are basically just mutant people.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what's that little framed doodle there?

When I lived in Japan, I was a big fan of voice acting. In 1995, I had a chance to meet Chisa Yokoyama at a voice acting get-together in Kanagawa. Chisa is best known in the video game world as a voice in the "Sakura Taisen" game series. I told her that my dream was to be a Japanese voice actor and did some Japanese Announcer/DJ/Commercial voices for her. She nearly doubled over laughing out of surprise. She told me I was kind of on the right track as voice acting isn't all video games and cartoons. I asked for her autograph and she signed her name in a voice acting book I had. (The doodle is her name, you can see it in an interview here at the bottom of the page). Written along the top in Japanese is "Ganbare!" (Good Luck!). It's my motivation to do the best I can even when I have strange, wacky, and unattainable dreams.
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the flowchart. It doesn't look like any version of the "problem solving" one I've seen.
    It's from XKCD - Here

halkun on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Voice actors have ways to have fun.
    I have used my crafty powers against telemarketers all week..muwahaha, "no, my mommy isn't home"

But Chisa was also Sasami back in the 90s, too.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »

But Chisa was also Sasami back in the 90s, too.

Yea, Sasami from Tenchi Muyo, Pretty Sammy, and bunches others. She was pretty popular back in the day.

To derail the thread slightly, Here she is singing a techno version of the Sakura Taisen theme.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8e4oeC6Mo

halkun on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Somewhere in the basement I've still got Sakura Taisen 1, 2, and Hanagumi Columns for the Saturn stored away. 1 through 4 and Hanagumi Columns 2 for the Dreamcast might be in the attic or basement, I'm not sure which. And I've got some assortment of ST5s across Wii and PS2 in Japanese, Korean, and English versions.

Cross Sakura over with Pretty Sammy and she could totally pull off a Haja Kensei Coquettish Bomber.

QGKZe.jpg

klteB.png

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sad that I was able to ID the flowchart with one glance. And I also knew who Chisa was off the top of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or7j2RpxhR4

I've actually watched this tape like four times, my friend found it in a bargain bin years and years ago.
    This one is actually my favorite, with the guitar player continuously popping in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjZwgktynlo

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    39e4bad7253a224cd2e3e39de905acb6-d3icabl.jpg

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hoodies are in the mail! Domestic customers will start receiving them on Friday!

Boomerjinks on
    You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've started rewatching FiM (I know, what took me so long?), this time paying more attention to background ponies and facial expressions and such. I already enjoyed the show for it's positive messages, fantastic voice acting, music, ponyisms and usually fluid animation (cyclops pony...), but the little things I never noticed really elevate it for me. Reoccuring background characters, the attention to detail on the little things they're doing, how accurate the expressions are not just on the mane 6, but everypony, in every situation.

My roommates watched Dragonshy with me and couldn't figure out what was so great about it. In the end they were angry at Fluttershy for being so timid. Perhaps I should've started them on a better episode?

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blendtec wrote: »
    My roommates watched Dragonshy with me and couldn't figure out what was so great about it. In the end they were angry at Fluttershy for being so timid. Perhaps I should've started them on a better episode?

edit: no wait, that's a little mean. lemme try again

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    personally, I started my roommate on Winter Wrap-up. then we slowly progressed through the entire season, giving him time to digest what he'd seen, over the course of a couple months or so. We just finished last night, and for the last few days he's been considering a pony related minecraft project.

which reminds me, when's the next season due out?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Riokenn wrote: »
    EDIT: Also a little tidbit for lulz, the guy in the left of The Economy vid was the dude responsible for the hilarity that happened at PAX East 2010 with Tycho and Gabe.
    ACTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOON CAAAAAASTLEEEEE
    I really dislike people that take up that much time at Q&A's. And the guy has his own panel yet he attention grabs at the Q&A. Yes it was funny and entertaining. I still hate when people pull things like that at Q&A's.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    as to the guy Blendtec started, I'd suggest either starting now with the pilot onwards, or trying winter wrap-up. but don't use anything involving freak-outs, because the average new person won't have the background in understanding the characters to really get why the episode is good.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Now I'm curious what you originally said. But yeah, they were apparently angry at Fluttershy because she was being super timid. This in turn made me angry at them, which rather defeats the point of the show I suppose. I tried to explain to them that'd be like getting angry at Courage the Cowardly Dog for being scared of the Farmer's mask, but to no avail.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Now I'm curious what you originally said. But yeah, they were apparently angry at Fluttershy because she was being super timid. This in turn made me angry at them, which rather defeats the point of the show I suppose. I tried to explain to them that'd be like getting angry at Courage the Cowardly Dog for being scared of the Farmer's mask, but to no avail.

I actually think that the very first episode (Friendship is Magic, Part I) should be the introductory episode for new viewers. It's the best introduction to everyone's personalities and Part II can be ignored (Poor Luna).

Honestly, how can anyone hate Fluttershy after her intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJY6V9iuc

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They weren't mad at her for being timid. They were mad at her because she couldn't keep up and they had to slow down to a crawl to avoid leaving her behind.

Also, I think the pilot episodes are probably the weakest ones in the season. I'm not sure they're the best ones for introducing someone to the show.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Goatmon wrote: »
    They weren't mad at her for being timid. They were mad at her because she couldn't keep up and they had to slow down to a crawl to avoid leaving her behind.

I suppose that had something to do with it too. How did you know?!?

Blendtec on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think you should just watch the episodes in order. I didn't really care for Winter Wrap-Up and I could see it putting some people off. It's mostly just a musical number, and not particularly humorous or clever like, say, Art of the Dress. Compared to some of the other episodes, it's rather tame, not particularly clever or surprising, and the premise is mundane (basically an episode about spring-cleaning). It's a well-done, certainly, but it's exactly the sort of episode someone would expect for a girl's cartoon.

I think the first episode is a great place to start because Twilight is just as skeptical and prone to sarcasm as the viewer probably is about this "magical pony friendship" business.

Arteen on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    22304%20-%20crossover%20Friendship%20mortal_kombat%20rarity.jpg

I'm kinda surprised this is the first time I've seen this

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And I just noticed that Hasbro's website has Parents' Co-Viewing Guides for the first four episodes.

P0pCe.jpg

G3JtV.jpg

Then I wonder if they've been developed with child development psychologists in consultation. And I think: possibly.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what

mylittlepony1938byangus.jpg

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    1920s Disney style ponies (or "Steamboat Fillies" if you prefer) are really creepy

Joolander on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jesus christ those flippers

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the other hand, that's a nice village.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

as someone who regularly wants to beat the weak out of Fluttershy but loves Courage the Cowardly Dog, the main difference is that while Courage is afraid of everything, 1: it's for good reason and 2: he sucks it up and goes out and gets shit done anyway. I can think of 52 episodes where Courage sacked up and did what he had to do to saved his loved ones even though he's afraid of everything, whereas I can think of one episode where Fluttershy sorta helped her friends after being nothing but a hindrance for 17 minutes of airtime.

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    She also stared down a Cockatrice in Stare Master.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    She did, but the point of that episode was not "Fluttershy is so scared of everything" but instead "Fluttershy is kind of a cocky pony who thinks that just because she gets along with animals she can babysit three small fillies". Stare Master and Bird in the Hoof and the Grand Galloping Gala are all sort of smuggershy episodes unlike Dragonshy.

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's also kind of dumb to point out how many more episodes involve Courage sucking it up, when the entire premise of the show is Courage standing up to the monster of the week.

My Little Pony is not even really an action series, nor does it really have much confrontation for the most part. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    wat

I'm not the one who came up with this comparison in the first place

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Don't play dumb, Casby, you know what you did.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fluttershy is the best pony.
    Maybe equal best with Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
This discussion has been closed.