As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recent Works

Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
green_bean_by_radar6590-d3i6dr7.jpg

My DeviantArt
Loomdun wrote: »
...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
Radar6590 on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Structurally it's sound, however it is very green and dark, is this referenced from a really bad photo?

Mustang on
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think that considering the images name is greenbeanbyradar. The image
    is meant to be green, but I took it into Photoshop and slapped a warm photofilter,
    and bumped the curves little bit.
    greenbeanbyradaredit.jpg

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It is very dark overall, in that the contrast is very low. It makes it hard to read.
    Here it is without color, see how most of the picture is around the same gray color:

radar.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey thanks guys. Yeah I guess it's a little low contrast huh. It is reffed from a photo but I didn't think it was that off.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    soldiercopy-3.jpg

I figured I better post this here since it's suddenly so in depth. Partial reference used so far, to ensure more accurate textures and representations of material. No direct ref, though.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's looking a little stiff, I'm not sure what pose he's supposed to be in (looks like he might be holding a sword), but try and add a little spring to him. The breastplate is also looking a little flat against his shirt.

Nice job with the refracted light in the breast plate's shadow though!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was going for sort of a concept art style pose, just showing off the character, but I can see how it's stiff. Had a little bit more motion in the sketch. He is holding a sword! though in the sketch it was looking to flat and graphic so I was just gonna tackle that from scratch. I'll try and lift that breastplate up, too. I hadn't noticed. Thank you! :)

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    More WIP. I do realize about the pose, but I tried a few ways of fixing it and it just ended up looking unnatural, so lesson learned for next time. >.<

digital_sketch_002_wip2_by_radar6590-d3j8msw.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    torsocopy.png?t=1310715945

Not sure why this image isn't working...

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    570ce67353a8ff91180805b81d97326f-d3sj6o5.png

My DeviantArt
  • Options
    dark_elven_assassin_by_radar6590-d45wjnq.png

My DeviantArt
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    the photo reffed shirtless guy has some of the better usage of color in this thread. It seems like you are going for a certain level of realism in your color picking rather than a fantastical one, but when you are making your own scenes you might want to push the lighting a bit, since you have a tendency to hold back.

This girl with the flame, for instance, the colors are completely unaffected by what would be a warm light coming from the fire, like http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnome_j/2772185541/ I can see a slight yellow tint but that fire is bright orange. Gathering references for your lighting scheme can help a lot, you'd be surprised how many colors can be hiding in any one object.

• Options
    Any better?

dark_elven_assassin_by_radar6590-d45wjnq.png

My DeviantArt
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Get braver.

Quick & dirty paintover (note: I don't think you should actually do anything so ugly as this, per se ... I'm just saying you can sell "fire" a lot harder).

radar_paintover.png

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I think that you could benefit from doing some more gesture. A lot of your figures look really, really stiff to me.

And I'm not really sure if you're making good compositional decisions. Draw more thumbnails and put more thought into where you want these pictures to be viewed from.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Recent pieces, I think these have been in the doodle thread, but I wanted to throw them up here, too. Trying to think a bit more about composition and color, as well as motion, even if it is slight in the Templar piece.

456b9915ec1d5386156b9883625eeddb-d482t1g.png

merchant_city_by_radar6590-d48l1kk.png

digital_inks_009__rocketboard_by_radar6590-d496fbh.png

My DeviantArt
  • Options
    Thank you :)

My DeviantArt