Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E PbP] (IC) Keep on the Shadowfell+ - Chapter 1: The King's Road

KayKay What we need...Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
KGfRV.jpg

~~oOo~~

Cast of Characters

XUn2k.png Tokul il Kassam, Dragonborn Bowman and Tactician.

A Dragonborn from the southlands cursed with dishonor and isolation, seeking redemption not only for himself, but for his people. Forged in the deserts of his homeland, Tokul strives to find favor with his tribe.
~~Played by DracoGriffin.


Nolar Ironmeld, Dwarven Priest and Master of the Runes. gcRcI.png

An experienced and devoted Soldier and Runesmith, faithful to Moradin. After deciding that his protectorate encompasses not only Hammerfast, but the whole of the Nentir Vale, Nolar aids the Lord Warden in securing the safety of Fallcrest's citizens.
~~Played by Aegis.



yiQHq.png Tara Censky, Human Enchantress and Determined Feminist.

The youngest daughter of minor nobility, far from her family home. She is a fiercely independent young woman, and student of the arcane arts. Weary of the patriarchal nature of her world, she works towards proving that a woman can do all the work of a man, and more.
~~Played by Hippofant.


Godfrey Goldfist, Lover of Life, and Defender of Waukeen. AcFBD.png
A recently discovered artifact of days gone by. Godfrey may appear to be a decadent, foppish dandy, but his faith in Waukeen goes further than cutting a striking figure in overpolished armor - he is a believer in the merits of civilisation, and all its trappings. Gold is power, Godfrey knows it, and Godfrey craves it.
~~Played by Fiaryn.



09CYz.png Ezekiel Myst, Acquisitions Expert and Archaeologist.
A student of Douvren Staul, and 'practical archaeologist'. Lacking his mentor's affinity for magic, 'Zeke' trained in other disciplines, learning the methods required to disarm traps, uncover ancient artifacts (like Godfrey) and bring them to their rightful place - a museum. His past as a thieving urchin is purely incidental.
~~Played by Acratia.


Andrei Saraev Tzvetanov, Militant Raven of Vrancea. c8Exg.png
A noble from a distant land, Andrei is the unstoppable edge of the Raven Queen's will. He fights in her name with furious, lethal abandon, laying to rest those that the Queen has called. He travels to Fallcrest to recover a certain artifact, and is unprepared for the news he is given on his arrival.
~~Played by Rius.




Hufa1.jpg

As dusk is falling, four weary figures ride along the King's Road, towards the Wizard's Gate - our heroes. A blonde human woman in fine robes, a rangy human male in a travelstained cloak, a stocky dwarf with one of the famous Hammerfast Mordenkrads slung across his back, and a huge, hulking creature in shining armor wearing a foppish hat at a jaunty angle. Beside them walks a scaled creature, broad of shoulder but wiry of arm and body, wearing armor crafted from outlandish skins of unfamiliar animals - a blue-scaled Dragonborn.

The five have completed their assignment, and put an end to the ragtag bandit gang that had been harrying the farmlands behind them. Long shadows follow the adventurers as the reddening sun sets in the west, resting just above familiar bulk of Moonstone Keep. On either side of the gate they approach, a Watchman stands, halberd held upright and alert. Or, at least, more upright and alert than they were recently, once the returning company has been spotted.

"Ho, travellers," challenges one of the watchman stood at the gates. "What business have you in Fallcrest?"

"Business with Lord Markelhay," states the finely dressed Warforged warrior, reaching beneath his cloak to flash the Seal of the City to the young soldier.

"Sir Goldfist and company?" the lad asks, his eyes widening. "The Lord Warden requests your presence urgently in Moonstone Keep."

The dwarf touches a hand to his forehead, and chuckles. "Aye, lad. No need to worry, we'll be on our way promptly."

The gates are opened, and the travellers enter the Wizard's Gate and the city beyond.
~~oOo~~

rJGyy.jpg

~~oOo~~

As the adventurers are shown into the audience chamber at Moonstone Keep, the Lord Warden Faren Markelhay is deep in conversation with a venerable old man in plain, unadorned robes, and a woman wearing the mark of Bahamut on her clothing. The man is tall, but slightly stooped, with long greying hair and a beard to match. He has the look of a scholar, or wizard about him. Though perhaps he is just a minor noble or merchant with a taste for the style. The woman is younger, dark of hair, and stands straight and tall. She has none of the weakness of age, or a scholar about her, and has a calming presence.

Zeke, Tara.
Spoiler:

Nolar, Godfrey.
Spoiler:

The room itself is vast, the white marble floor offsetting the black marble that has been used for the numerous pillars reaching for the ceiling. A large seat, almost a throne stands on a raised dais, and it is upon this seat that the protector of Fallcrest is supposed to be seated. Instead, he speaks to the older man, and the young woman more as equals, standing at the foot of the stairs while talking to them in quiet, but animated tones.

To the right of the Lord's Seat is a smaller table, at which sits one of the Warden's attendants - a scribe and assistant. "A moment please," he asks, before pushing himself to his feet. He moves to the Lord Warden's side smoothly, and waits for a gap in the conversation before announcing the group's arrival.

Upon being informed of your presence, Lord Markelhay turns towards you all, and raises his hands in greeting.

"I trust the evening finds you well, and your sojourn to the farmlands on the edge of the Harken Forest went similarly?" Faren asks, warmly.

Kay on
ew9y0DD.png
3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
«1345

Posts

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The stocky, short figure wanders in behind the rest of the company as the enter the magnificent stone hall of the Warden's Keep, the sounds of dull heavy metal on stone echoing throughout as he puts one step in front of another. The dwarf stops as the reach the Warden and bows his head slightly in recognition to the ruler and his coterie, brushing off a loose braid of thick hair that comes loose once he's done, crossing his arms when finished. The oversized hammer rests as it always had when not currently smashing miscreants and towers a respectable distance over the dwarf's head, both accentuating his lack of height while also seeming to create an intimidating image were anyone to ever point out his stature. He waits until the golden statue replies to the Warden, not caring to interrupt the company's leader's job.

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey reached up, removing his incredibly fashionable hat and dipping into an immaculate bow as was befitting of the Lord Wardens company. As he returned to his full, somewhat imposing stature he kept his hat at his breast. He was in the company of a Lord, 'twas only proper after all.

    "Couldn't have gone better! Rather a cowardly lot, those bandits. Proper tactics in the hands of trained combatants will always trounce such savages don't you know," he declared with the peculiar, metallic sort of chuckle he was prone to.

    "I should hope the evening finds my distinguished company in good spirits? Perhaps busy spirits, though, judging by this talk of "urgent" summons hmmm?" he continued, neatly segueing into an opportunity for talk of business amidst the greetings.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tara purses her lips and eyes the young woman discretely, barely cognizant of Godfrey's flowery words.

  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Flashing a smile at the old man purely to get his goat, Zeke steps in alongside Captain Goldalot with his hands steeped in his pockets.

    "This looks eerily like there's another situation for an assortment of entrepreneurs to resolve. Problem, Warden?"

    He makes sure to check out the unknown priestess whilst awaiting the response, taking her measure.

  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Upon entering the chamber, the young dragonborn removes his hood, revealing his sunken eyes as he withdraws to the rear of the group, unfamiliar with the two other figures next to the Lord Warden.

    He fidgets with his arms, struggling to cross them in such a way he feels comfortable in this situation. He looks over to Godfrey, murmuring softly between the warforged's words.

    "F-frey, we should flank them from the western outcropping. There is a," his neck twitched before continuing, "A path we can funnel them through."

    After giving his insight to a previous battle, Tokul retreats from the conversation. He soon finds himself admiring the architecture and sculptures, seemingly more interested in the atmosphere than the room's current inhabitants.

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dwarf snorts at Zeke's excitement, "He co' just be followin' up on our finished task. Needn't be pessimistic 'bout the state o' tha realm. Though tha presence o' tha Platinum Dragon be o' mite interest."

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As Ezekiel voices the word 'Problem', Lord Faren Markelhay grimaces very slightly, before nodding his head."You could say that, yes. I am attended here by the High Septarch Nimorazan of Fallcrest," here, the Lord Warden gestures to the older man in plain robes, who inclines his head slightly, "And Sister Marla Kingsblood, Talon of the Platinum Dragon. It is good to hear your previous task went well, as this makes it clear to me that you are the best troupe of... entrepreneurs," a grin is flashed in Zeke's direction, "for the task at hand. Especially with the links some of you have with the, ah, situation."

    The Priestess of Bahamut coughs, politely, causing Faren to turn, and nod. "In time, in time." she is told by Fallcrest's Defender.

    "A person of import has failed to report in as expected," Markelhay admits, "And this is most unlike him. Usually, Master Douvren is in nigh-constant communication with his associate, the High Septarch, and yet it has been three days since any word from him has been had. Most worrying."

    The Lord Warden's expression falls somewhat as he reveals this news to his chosen company, and after straightening up, he continues. "Alas, we fear the worst. Master Douvren Staul was investigating a burial site in the vicinity of Winterhaven. A Dragon's tomb, no less. Last we heard, he had located the site, and was making progress in his excavations. We can only imagine what has befallen this man. Now, we know that some of you have strong links to Master Staul, as pupils, associates, or purely by reputation. We would ask you to travel to Winterhaven - furnished with a map drawn up from Douvren's communications with Nimorazan of course - and investigate his disappearance. Is this acceptable?"

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Excavatin' burial sites, ye say? Man co' be struck down by on High fer meddlin' 'bout tha' which best left alone. Though, from yer concern Oi take it he be doin' more proper work 'bout them religious locations?" Nolar scratches his beard idly in thought at the request before continuing with a slightly inquisitive tone, "Still, what sort o' folly ye think fell over this Douvren Strand? Know o' Winterhaven's perch in tha Cairngorm Oi do, but nay familiar with tha beasties. Expectin' ta run across Giants? Goliaths? Dragons? Them fill tha Dawnforge most days."

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Well, we say 'burial ground'," the High Septarch interjects, "But it sounds more like it was the site of a great battle, and the fallen, for reasons Douvren was trying to figure out, stay where they fell until the earth took them. Fissure, perhaps. Arcane power causing an earthquake. Act of god," the older man hazards, before getting himself lost in his train of thought. He continues to mutter to himself, speculatively.

    The Lord Warden then answers Nolar's query. "Dragons, and their kin," he says. "The area is known for plagues of marauding Kobolds from time to time. They would, most certainly, have interest in a dragon's resting place."

    Sister Marla Kingsblood displays the patience of a saint as the men converse.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tara bristles at the dwarf's words. She snaps at him, "Douvren isn't an idiot. If something's happened to him, he must have been taken by surprise." She pauses, absorbing the impact of her own words. "We should move quickly."

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey strokes his chin thoughtfully. A gesture completely for show of course, and one that mercifully makes no noise as his surface is polished to perfection. "I can do no other but pursue the disappearance of one so dear to a boon companion! And I have little doubt that the rest feel the same. [tiny]Even disregarding the probability of preposterous wealth in the vicinity of a dragon.[/tiny]"

    "But...before we progress on that topic, I notice my dear colleague and esteemed servant of the Platinum Dragon, Sister Marla, seems to have something she wishes to say. Perhaps we might allow her the floor hmmmm?"

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Well tha wrath o' tha All-Father be a surprise ta some, aye. But co' be as ye say," he adds with a slight shrug, "If'n he travelled alone or with a group, still be dangerous times ta wander."

  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Ezekiel's easy grin plummets as the Warden reveals word of Staul's disappearance. Withdrawing from the conversation whilst the others chatter for a time, he eventually rejoins with a much more solemn tone.

    "This can't be right. Who else was with him?"

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lord Faren takes a step back, and looks towards Nimorazan a moment. "That is something for the High Septarch to divulge, I feel."

    "What what?" Nimorazan says, jolted out of his musings over the possible reasons for his colleague's findings. "Oh, of course. With him were, ah. Two of his apprentices, I believe young Zeke may have known them. I forget their names, however. He will, of course, have employed some of the locals to do the more manual labour, but... oh yes, he did mention another. A woman, named 'Nina', I think. He waxed lyrical at length on her beauty and intelligence. Douvren's wife, Calhana, was most irritated by that when we talked about it over a nice pot of tea and some biscuits she had baked, as I recall." The High Septarch chuckles quietly, before nodding his head once. "Yes, that was what he told me. Nina was working as a guide and guardian both, apparently."

    As Nimorazan steps back, Marla strides purposefully to the Lord Warden's side. He nods his head, and gestures towards the party.

    Sister Kingsblood clears her throat, and speaks. Her voice is deep, rich and strong. The voice of a practiced speaker, or preacher. As she moves and gesticulates, the strength in her arms and shoulders becomes more apparent under her cloak.

    "Agents of Fallcrest," she says, keeping her words slow and measured. "The Temple of Bahamut has a problem that we would appreciate your aid regarding. A certain... artifact, of great power, was kept in strictest secrecy under secure guard in one of our temples, far to the north. In the Cairngorm Peaks, to be precise," Marla admits, with a nod towards Nolar. "This artifact was to be moved by a courier, an armed, reliable and faithful servant of the Platinum Dragon. It was to be brought here, so that it could be gifted to an entourage from Vrancea, a kingdom far from here. The artifact in question was sacred to the dark god overthrown by the Raven Queen, and as the seat of her worship in these lands, it was agreed by our High Council that her glorious temple in Vrancea should be the final resting place of this dark weapon, guarded and watched by those that know the secrets of Death."

    Sister Kingsblood takes a breath, and lowers her head for a moment. When she raises her chin again, her proud and impassive expression is back in place. "The courier is almost a week overdue. We fear the worst, and word from our Brothers and Sisters in faith, is that the ritual they had cast to track the artifact's presence was nullified in the vicinity of Winterhaven."

    "Hence my suggestion that we kill two birds with one stone," Lord Markelhay says, as he steps beside the chosen of Bahamut, "And send some of our most capable agents to deal with both problems. So, what say you?"

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sadly incapable of lifting an eyebrow to demonstrate the true depth of his interest, Godfrey must settle for words. "This Winterhaven appears to be some manner of vortex of intrigue don't you think? Regardless, both aspects of this journey would appear to have time as a critical element. We can no sooner let Douvren or the artifact be spirited away by whatever godforsaken miscreants are behind these dastardly deeds! I recommend we be off with utmost haste," He declared with gusto.

    "But not without caution. Are there any other details of note, peculiarities relating to this Winterfell that might impact our mission beyond its proximity to dragon battlefields?"

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "The area is known to have troubles with nomadic kobold tribes," Lord Markelhay elaborates. "Lord Padraig of Winterhaven does not have the manpower to hunt down and destroy their nest - or nests - but is more than capable of keeping the townsfolk protected."

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey nodded, his curiosity satisfied. "Then I yield the floor to my companions and any inquiries they might have on the topic of future exploits hmmm? When all are satiated in their quest for knowledge, we should take to our rest that we might make for Winterhaven at earliest light!"

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nolar's face frowns as the details of the missing artifact are told to the party, shaking his head slightly at the idea of such a clearly vile weapon falling out of the hands of the Light, "Tha losin' o' artifacts be a tad worrisome, particularly if'n they be fallin' into tha hands of these dragonlin' whelps. This excavation site be near tha town or 'fore we get there? Be wonderin' if'n we check that out first along tha way or simply head straight at tha town ta follow both tha troubles."

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "The excavation? I am not sure," Lord Markelhay states. "I understand that Master Staul heard tell of the site, and investigated once he reached Winterhaven." He looks to Nimorazan in question, and the High Septarch nods in return.

    Sister Kingsblood then adds, "You will not have time to recover the artifact and return it before the Vrancean envoy arrives, as they are due within the week. Most likely before nightfall the day after the 'morrow, or before noon the day after. The ride is long, and hard." She then holds out her hands about three feet apart, with the palms facing each other. "It is an ornate rod, around this length," she says, "And the markings upon it are quite distinctive."

    Between the Priestess' hands, an image starts to form. A long, stout scepter, crowned with a screaming horned skull flickers into being, with dark gems set in a double circle just behind the skull. Runes of power cover the dark red wood, inlaid with silver, and the pommel is a massive, blood-red ruby set into a leather-wrapped grip. The image hovers there, translucent and etheral, as Sister Marla Kingsblood concentrates on keeping it stable for the company's perusal.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Flipping out a small book of blank pages, Zeke takes down a swift scrawl of the artifact for reference, stepping closer for a better look. He speaks between looking up and copying the details.

    "We should head straight for the town, and see what the word on the street is before we head to the excavation site regardless. It shouldn't take long, and working with any leads we can find should work out much better than scrounging around the ass-end of frozen nowhere hoping something turns up."

    Closing the book, he looks up and steps back toward the group.

    "I don't see any reason to linger, we should head out immediately. I don't have any questions, unless something comes to mind the good Warden and his cohorts would like to volunteer?"

    Zeke proceeds to demonstrate his fleshy superiority, by lifting a brow toward the Warden and his advisors without any problems at all.

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dwarf nods as Zeke finishes with recording what the priestess' magic had been able to give them in terms of leads, "Dun wan' ta keep these delegates waitin' on retrieving' their promised artifact."

  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The young warlord attends to the group as they converse, interjecting the Lord Warden's words with a question of his own. "The design... seems Nerathi and Arkhosian, correct?"

    Tokul shifts his attention to the priest, as she begins to conjure up the image of the 'sacred' artifact. He is beguiled by the woman's technique and intricate detail. He rubs his chin for a moment, as his eyes gaze at the ethereal object before tapping his hands together, clacking his claws against another.

    "Ah, this... seems familiar. Very good detail. Seems to be missing something."
    Spoiler:
    The dragonborn turns to the golden primo uomo, tuning into the conversation of kobolds. Tokul quickly walks next to Godfrey, offering to whisper in his ear details of the aspiring tribes in the region and their choice of draconic beliefs.

    "Y-yes, F-frey, the kobolds here... Hmm." He murmured for a moment before trailing off into thought.
    Spoiler:

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As Tokul whispers in Godfrey's ear, one of the Keep's servants hurries into the chamber, and pauses at the door.

    "My Lord," the servant calls, a hint of urgency in his voice. "Your presence is required without?" the servant continues, shakily. His expression is a little strained, and his manner twitchy.

    Godfrey, Nolar, Ezekiel
    Spoiler:

    "We are quite busy here, Thomas, what is the problem?" Lord Markelhay asks.

    "It would be better if you were to come and see," Thomas replies, picking at a loose thread on the sleeve of his shirt.

    Tokul
    Spoiler:

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul taps at the magical image's gem for a moment as he collects his thoughts, "Ah yes! The ruby isn't glowing red." He smiles awkwardly at the priestess, as he returns to Godfrey's side.

    "The kobolds, F-frey? You remember now, the ones with the dragon worshipping and such? They think the red ones go," Tokul scratches at his cheek before continuing, "y-yes, they believe the red ones go 'fasta', at least what I can understand of their incessant barking. They also have a penchant for lightning bolts. And I don't think it was right to lie to the merchant about the oils you 'required for the good of the kingdom'."

    The dragonborn crosses his arms, satisfied with revealing his knowledge to the others.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From beyond the doors at the foot of the audience chamber a muffled echo can be heard; what seems to be the end of a futile conversation.

    "But sir, you must wait; you haven't been announced yet!"

    No reply comes; instead, the double doors are thrown wide open. A tall human clad in blackened steel armor and wearing a scarlet cloak strides in. Accompanied by a half-dozen men-at-arms and a handful of retainers, he smiles when he sees the Lord Warden and his impressive entourage.

    "Don't worry, goodman; I'll just announce myself. Lord Warden Markelhay! It is good to finally arrive. The quality of your roads notwithstanding, I and my company now stand before you as invited; I am Andrei Saraev Tzvetanov...", he says and suddenly smiles, "and it seems I have excellent timing!"

    Andrei waves dismissively to his companions and strides up the length of the hall, moving with speed and grace despite the weight of his armor. The tattered edges of his travel cloak flutter around his legs as he walks, weighted down otherwise by the shield strapped to his back. A two-bladed battleaxe hangs from his hip in a black leather baldric and his cloak is emblazoned with a red bird with thorn-like wings. He strides right past the odd assortment of characters between him and the Lord Warden, simultaneously acknowledging and dismissing their presence as only a noble can.

    Coming to a stop before Lord Markelhay and Sister Kingsblood, he nods in a more formal greeting to the latter, his eyes lingering on the Rod floating between her hands.

    "And Sister Kingsblood; I cannot tell you how pleased I am to see you today. Though I hardly think the Rod of Ruin is something to show off, I cannot blame you. Did your man have any trouble transporting it?"

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey nodded at Tokul's, as ever, thorough and detailed advice. Odd fellow, but peerless in tactics and reconnaissance.

    "Good man. Forewarned is forearmed don't you know! We shall be wary of such tactics when the time comes. And it wasn't lying so much as testing the elasticity of the truth. For the greater good. Image can be essential in impromptu negotiations, such as terms of surrender!"

    As ever, completely indeflatable. His good cheer capacitor was at full power. Always at full power. Turning to the foreign dignitary he dipped into yet another polite bow.

    "Ho there my good man! Godfrey Goldfist, and welcome! I can assure you that what is soon to be the rightful property of Vrancea is not being shown off just for entertainment value, certainly not. We were just discussing it in fact," he laughed in his rumbling, jolly way.

    "Perhaps ah...the Lord Warden should explain. Yes that would be best I think."

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tara groans quietly. Between the Lord Warden, Godfrey and this newcomer, they could all be here a while, engaging in the word games that nobles so often delighted it. And this Tzvetanov was a diplomat too; Tara raised her left hand to her temple in anticipation of the headache she would soon have.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lord Markelhay's expression freezes, then becomes a little more grim. "Master Tzvetanov," he says, tentatively. "I am afraid arrangements have not gone quite as planned."

    Thomas - the Lord Warden's personal attendant - bows deeply from the doorway. "Master Andrei Saraev Tzvetanov, representative of the Tzar of Vrancea," he announces, belatedly. Or is that two days early?

    The Priestess of Bahamut seems more than merely surprised at the arrival of the Vrancean envoy, and looks up, breaking her concentration. The image of the Rod shimmers and breaks apart, before she dismisses the illusion with a clap of her hands. "Master Tzvetanov," echoes Sister Kingsblood. "Our courier... I am afraid that it appears he was waylaid. The ritual tracking the artifact has been nullified. We were making arrangements to locate and recover this abomination."

    In the background, Nimorazan smiles vaguely, obviously lost in thought again.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Andrei frowns after hearing the Lord Warden's words. His left eye twitches slightly as the Priestess' illusion dissipates and he looks back and forth between the two of them. His expression darkens as he asks in disbelief;

    "Is this some kind of joke? We were assured that the Rod would be secure for your half of the transport."

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey cleared his throat, a bit of an echoing metal noise which sounded wholly unnatural.

    "Now now, laying blame and finger pointing shall get us nowhere my friends! The very fact that the ritual was nullified suggests this is an organized undertaking, sowing discord amongst our own ranks would be naught but playing into the saboteurs hands and further hampering future efforts to thwart them!"

    "It is for this reason that we were just discussing plans to leave at earliest opportunity, in search of the courier."

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey's words seem to have some sort of impact on Andrei. First looking over his shoulder, he slowly turns and for the first time takes a good look at the golden man and his companions. His initial incredulous look turns to a mixture of disdain and disregard.

    "In search of the courier? You've been... hired, from the mercenary look about the lot of you, to search for our rightful possession? And for this I am supposed to be grateful?"

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Godfrey Goldfist, Champion of Waukeen my good man. We're all "hired" for something in life, currency simply takes many forms" he chortles good naturedly.

    "This is hardly so off the cuff as you make it out to be Sir Tzvetanov. This is not the first such undertaking we have made in the name of this fine city."

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Baffled, Andrei shakes his head as he responds.

    "Waukeen. How in the name of... no, I'd rather not know. Your lunacy might be catching. Just do yourself a favor and stay out of my way, sunshine." Andrei smiles at Godfrey, his eyes making a mockery of the kind gesture. They flare the slightest bit red as he resumes his conversation with the Lord Warden.

    "Markelhay; where is the Rod's last known location?"

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Taken aback by the interaction between Warforged and Noble, Lord Markelhay looks between them, until Andrei addresses him directly.

    "In the vicinity of Winterhaven," he replies. "Our agents here were charged with travelling there, and attempting to pick up the trail. There is also a representative of Fallcrest in the area already, a scholar, archaeologist and mage by the name of Douvren Staul. It is possible that both disappearances are linked, given what Master Staul was working on when he went missing."

    While the Lord Warden speaks, Sister Kingsblood looks pensive. She then turns towards Andrei. "We are truly sorry for this setback, Master Tzvetanov. Allow me to extend the hospitality of the Platinum Dragon at the House of the Sun in the assuredly short time it will take for our men to retrieve the artifact. We can provide rooms of the highest quality, and Fallcrest has no equal in the Vale for entertainment and education, should you wish to pass the time."

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A blue bolt of energy suddenly flies out past Sister Marla's head and strikes a nearby marble column at an angle, taking out a small chunk that clatters loudly, breaking upon the ground. "Oops," Tara chirps obsequiously. "My apologies, Sister Marla. I was merely trying to... amuse myself while we waited." Without waiting for a response, she begins attentively fiddling with a small crystal ball in her right hand, lighting it up and changing its colour rapidly.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Andrei listens intently to Lord Markelhay, absorbing his every word. It is only when the Priestess addresses him that he responds.

    "That will not be necessary, Sister. At least, not entirely necessary. My men," he says with a backwards wave, "will stay at the House of the Sun and make additional arrangements for the Rod's safe journey from here to Vrancea. In the meantime, I will travel to Winterhaven and investigate the disappearance of the artifact personally."

    Before Sister Kingsblood can respond he holds up a single hand, palm outward, as if to ask for a moment to think. After a minute or so, he lowers his hand and nods. "Yes, I must insist. And I would be happy to accept your offer of assistance," he says, oblivious to the fact that such an offer has not technically been made. "After all, you've already recruited these mercenaries for the task."

    The sudden unexpected energetic discharge causes Andrei to instinctively reach for the axe at his hip. He whirls around as Tara begins to apologize, his eyes flaring red again before fading to black. Exhaling slowly, he looks back to the Sister.

    "I suppose their competency level leaves something to be desired."

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dwarf eyes the darkened figure of Andrei with a bit of wariness at first given his usual track record of having to smite said individuals on a regular basis but then chuckles to himself as the scene plays out once he comes to the realization that the man is your run-of-the-mill diplomat. "Oie can demonstrate our 'level o' comptency' wit me hammer up yer..." He starts, almost seeming to take the slight personally before thinking better of it and turning to Tara to cool his mind with a more calm, if exasperated tone, "Come lass. Can find ye some pots or jugs fer target practice. No need ta wound tha precious stone."

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey clasped his hands together, rubbing them together with glee as matters tied themselves up neatly.

    "A most satisfactory resolution! Sir Tzvetanov shall join us in the quest most dire and more the merrier we'll be for it! A rather delightful cultural exchange, I expect. You simply must tell us more of Vrancea once we're on the road my dear man. But for now, rest yes? That "sleep" thing you all tell me so much about."

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sister Kingsblood (who does not react to the errant bolt of Tara's magic, Lord Markelhay frowns, while Nimorazan tuts and shakes his head) claps her hands once, then extends her right towards Andrei, as she walks down the steps of the raised dais to the floor. The hand she extends is now sheathed in a metallic gauntlet, all the way up to the elbow. As she reaches the Vrancean noble, it becomes apparent that her hand has actually transmuted, and is now the fore-claw of a platinum-scaled dragon.

    "Then it is decided," Marla intones, her voice now deeper, richer somehow. "We shall shake hands on the arrangement, which becomes an oath. A promise to uphold our ends of the bargain. Master Andrei Saraev Tzvetanov, your part of the oath is to find and protect this artifact from those that seek it out. The Brothers and Sisters of the Platinum Dragon will pray for your safety, your success, and offer hospitality to your men while you quest."

    The Priestess flexes her talons once more, then holds it before the fiery-eyed man, waiting for him to agree.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "That's a neat trick, Sister. Two, actually; the second being your 'oath' which compels me to finish the job your people started. Still, I think my Lady would prefer things that way... it's more personal. Plus, it might even be fun."

    Andrei grins at Marla and begins to reach out with his own arm. As they clasp hand to claw, first Andrei's right arm and then his whole body grow dim. In contrast to the shine coming from Marla's transmuted arm, perhaps even in opposition to it, Andrei almost seems to be standing in his own shadow. His eyes flare a bright red once more before finally fading to the calm, endless black that they were when he first entered the chamber.

    He then turns back to Godfrey with a sigh.

    "First thing on the morrow, then. I hope you're not a morning person."

«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.