As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Restore PS3 Fat Backup to New PS3 Slim?

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I killed my old Fat PS3. I did some tinkering and I killed it. No need to go into the how or why. It's dead, Jim.

Happily, I made a full system backup using the PS3's built in backup/restore utility before I killed it.

Will I be able to use this backup to restore my stuff to a new PS3 Slim? At the very least I want to keep my game saves. And still be eligible for Sony's welcome back program free games (I haven't downloaded any of them yet).

Please tell me these things are possible, and any pointers you might have on how to accomplish them!

Thank you.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is the backup on a different drive? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. Just restore onto the new Slim and it will pick the saves and everything. Probably have to re-sync trophies, and may want to deactivate the old Phat on the PSN if you can. Through Account Settings on PSN website.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I backed up to an external hard drive using the PS3 backup/restore utility. Will "copy protected" content and "locked" saves transfer too? Has anyone tried this?

Good idea about deactivating the old fatty, I will look into that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Problem... PSN website won't let me deactivate my old n' busted Phat PS3 because the PSN store site is "down for maintenance." Sooo... I assume I will be able to access the PSN store on the new PS3 when I get it, could I deactivate the old PS3 through there?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You don't have to do right away - you can have your account on 5 devices. So use your new one, then once PSN is back up, log in through a PC so you don't affect the new one.

I believe everything is tied to your PSN account, so transferring shouldn't be a problem. Which is why some SP games -Capcom, I think? - wouldn't play while the PSN was out. And that's why you want to de-authorise your Fat, so you can free up that 'licence'. Hope that makes sense, AC is on but it's still hot in here.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank god. You have been super helpful MichaelLC, hope the temps cool down for ya.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Absolutely no guarantees, addendums or warranties are implied or given except where restricted by law. ;-)

This was one of the few good (and surprising, considering the source) things Sony did with the PS3 - making the HDD replaceable, and being pretty open with the content, including 'unlimited' downloads. Think XBOX is similar, though the HD is XBOX-only.

MichaelLC on