Options

Graduation Gift = Tacky?

SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I am teacher and I have 6 students graduating this year. I run a special program where I have the same students all day long so I have the opportunity to get to know them quite well. As such I was planning on giving money (between $25-$50 each along with a card and note) as a graduation gift to my six graduating students. However, someone recently suggested this was weird and/or tacky as a teacher. I originally wanted to buy them gift cards to the bookstore of whatever school they are attending, but many are undecided about their future plans. What are your thoughts? If you are a student, would it be weird to get a monetary graduation gift from a teacher?

SilverEternity on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never given gifts to my students. I like them, in fact last year's was my favourite class so far, we've been together for years and talk and make jokes and so on. But there's a professional line I don't like to cross.

A card can be ok, I guess. A gift is pushing it a little IMO. Giving cash to your students is definitely on the weird side for me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So long as you give all the students the same gift I don't see it being tacky. A bit weird, sure. The kids will probably love it.

I've gotten money from a teacher before, so, I'm a bit biased. But that was for an after school thing and it was technically an "award."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I don't think it's a bad idea to give a parting gift, but I would not not not give money, because that IS weird. The gift card would be more appropriate, but I would make it a small amount ($10 or less) for something like amazon. Another idea is a book relating to the subject matter of the class you taught, and everyone should get the same thing. If you include a note, make it simple and, again, the same for everyone.

I've had teachers do this (sub-college level), but they gave out things like bookmarks. The smaller and simpler the better, IMO.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had a teacher who gave us each a book once.

It's understandable that you want to give your student's something because you feel you've gotten to know them on a personal level. However, money is such an impersonal gift that it kind of defeats the purpose.

oldsak on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    give a short book you want them to read.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think weird isn't the right word. I think it's pretty inappropriate though - especially if you're giving them cash. They really can do whatever they want with that cash and I don't think you'd want to be responsible if they make a bad decision with it.

I'd say get them a card, maybe a book. No cash.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think weird isn't the right word. I think it's pretty inappropriate though - especially if you're giving them cash. They really can do whatever they want with that cash and I don't think you'd want to be responsible if they make a bad decision with it.

I'd say get them a card, maybe a book. No cash.

I had the same thought (they will use the money for bad things) which is why I originally wanted to get them gift cards to the bookstore at whatever college they were going to, but none of them (except for one who is starting a cosmetology program) knows what they want to do. I think I'm either going to get them amazon gift cards, books, or nothing. I obviously don't want to be a creeper or cross boundaries but I know that when I was going into college having extra cash from graduation presents was helpful.

I've taught traditional classes for a couple of years where I had ~120 students and I've never given my kids gifts before. I think I'm just especially proud of these kids because it's a credit recovery program and some of the kids have basically done two years of work in one year to earn enough credits to graduate. I want to acknowledge that.

SilverEternity on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A book is a much better idea than cash. When my favorite history professor retired when my class graduated he liquidated his library and gave each graduating senior a different book. It was a really nice touch.

I got '1969: The Year the Dream Died' which changed the way I think just about everything.

Don't get cash, that's weird. Or at least, I would have felt weird getting cash from a teacher.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slightly different, but when I graduated my Speech and Debate coach gave all the graduating seniors a travel kit and day planners. I used both of those things for quite a while.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you should REALLY get them each a Moleskine notebook. Someone anyone and everyone can and will use, looks SUPER classy and badass, shouldn't be more than 15 dollars.

seriously, do this.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A specific book to read from a mentor has been, several times in my life, one of the most meaningful gifts I've received. I highly encourage you to pick books that you think are valuable to them.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    My art teacher in high school gave the AP kids books (there were only three of us). Different ones for each of us of artsy stuff. It was a sweet thing, I would have been weirded out by cash. With 6 kids you know well, I think you can give them different books.

Flash Drives are pretty easy standard college kid gifts. Mine were always strewn about my room so I was glad I had five. If you want to do a little novel they might like and a flash drive, thats a good deal.

Iruka on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are you teaching college or high school? I teach college, and I would feel super weird giving any of my students gifts.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When I graduated my English teacher, and one of my all-time favorite teachers ever was handing out $20 to people when shaking their hands after we got our diplomas. It was "for the after party". He was an all around cool dude and it is one of my favorite stories. Never though it was weird.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really like the book idea. I don't think cash is "weird" or even crosses a boundary, but it comes closer. If you want to be safe (and probably more meaningful) then give them a book.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    1800nightlife1800nightlife Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My mom is an art teacher and she will give her AP students graduation presents. Since they are AP students the gifts always have something to do with the subject, nothing that seems too personal. I think gifts are rad!

1800nightlife on
    steam_sig.png
    Xboxlive: Nightlife1800
    http://1800nightlife.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really like the book idea. I don't think cash is "weird" or even crosses a boundary, but it comes closer. If you want to be safe (and probably more meaningful) then give them a book.

With personal inscription!

spool32 on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also look at it this way: If you give them $20, they'll spend it. They may occasionally think back about how cool you are, but the $20 didn't go with them. If you get them a copy of a book that they take to heart, it'll go on their book shelf, and for years they will think about whatever you taught them whenever they see that book.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes seriously, you should do the book idea. I got a book from a teacher in high school that I was fairly close to as I was her TA my last semester. She knew I had just started reading Neil Gaiman's book so she got me a copy of Coraline and wrote an awesome inscription inside. Seriously, one of the coolest things I've ever gotten. I think your students will really appreciate a gift like a meaningful book.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Give them a book, all the same book, with a personalized note from you written inside the cover. Make it a hardback book, nothing expensive. If you really just can't think of an apporpiate book that they would benefit from you can go the generic route that I've seen before and give them Dr. Suess' "Oh the Places You Will Go" which my sister once got from a teacher upon graduating high school.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know your students better than we do. If you don't think cash would be weird, then it probably won't be. And who the hell cares if it is weird? I reckon cash is always a welcome gift but YMMV. I think whatever words you write in the note/card would mean the most, in the long run.

If you decide to buy them a book, make it something meaningful between you and the students, not the tritest tripe available. In particular, do not buy them "Oh The Places You'll Go".

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    From kindergarten to the PhD level, a person could accumulate enough copies of that book to give it its own bookshelf.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    buy them a copy of "oh the places you'll go" and a card like rockmonkey said it's standard in the sense that a lot of people have had it happen to them but it's still always pretty sweet

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    musanman wrote: »
    buy them a copy of "oh the places you'll go" and a card

Uhm..uh...wha...huh?

Not sure...

But yeah, if you know these kids well, and you feel a connection, cash is the last thing you should be giving them. If there's only 6 of them, I'm sure you can personalize gifts for each of them.

Esh on
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with those who say that a book is the best gift as a teacher.

Lepton on