As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transporting a Hamster 160 miles in 90F Weather

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Thread title says it all.

Help!

I have to take my Hamster back home with me from school today, and it's hovering between 90 and 95F out right now. I know the fellas get heatstroke easily, so I'm trying to figure out a way to help him. My car's AC is completely shot, so that's not an option. It's just over a two hour drive with no stops.

I was just out driving for about 10 minutes to get gas, and I'm completely covered in sweat already. I don't think he has a chance. What are my options? Has anyone else had to do this?

HadjiQuest on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fill an insulated cooler with bags of ice and put a layer of his bedding on top of it maybe? And leave the lid open, of course.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Would it be possible for you to hold off the trip until this evening, when the sun's gone down and the temperature's dropped a bit?

Officer 1BDI on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Would it be possible for you to hold off the trip until this evening, when the sun's gone down and the temperature's dropped a bit?

That's what I'm going to try and hold out for, but it's still supposed to be in the high 80s at sundown.

I guess it's a record hot day for the Northeast part of the country.
    Fill an insulated cooler with bags of ice and put a layer of his bedding on top of it maybe? And leave the lid open, of course.

That is good advice. I was going to do something similar with a cardboard box (the best I have) and frozen peas (ditto). But I didn't think of putting some under his bedding. Would that be too cold, or good? My roommate also suggested putting an ice cube or two in his water bottle to keep it cold as well.

HadjiQuest on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    80s should be fine. Hamsters are susceptible to high temps and sudden changes in temps. So I'd avoid doing it in the Sahara. They don't do too well with drafts so you may want to put a thing sheet over his cage to protect him from that. Other than that he should be fine bro.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd advise against putting him inside a cooler together with bags of ice, chances are this will kill him, make him fall ill or enter hibernation. They're small animals and they lose heat easily. I'd be more concerned about the stress of the journey than the temperatures. Is transporting him inside his cage not an option? Staying inside his burrow would also help him stay cool.

Platy on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a piece of marble in my storage closet to put in my guinea pigs cage. The stone being colder etc etc. Not sure if this would work or how dangerous it would be in a moving car but still maybe something to consider

Canada_jezus on
    edited June 2011
    I'd advise against putting him inside a cooler together with bags of ice, chances are this will kill him, make him fall ill or enter hibernation. They're small animals and they lose heat easily. I'd be more concerned about the stress of the journey than the temperatures. Is transporting him inside his cage not an option? Staying inside his burrow would also help him stay cool.

I've been sitting here for the last couple hours waiting for it to cool down a little (it's in the mid 90s here right now).

I think what I'm going to do is put his entire normal cage into a cardboard box filled with some frozen peas. Since it's a moving car, I'm going to take his wheel out as well. Hopefully it cools off in the next hour, because I have to leave by then.

HadjiQuest on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    just turn the AC on.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    mts wrote: »
    just turn the AC on.

My car's AC is broken.

HadjiQuest on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Transport him inside his cage so that he doesn't get stressed. Also keep it shielded from direct sunlight. He should stay inside his burrow for most of the trip and everything should be fine.

Platy on
    edited June 2011
    Ok, I've put his cage inside a larger box, and I'm going to line the box with a couple bags of frozen peas.

Will let you know how it goes.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    OK, he's a little shaken up, but he's still hanging out and eating and playing.

The peas and waiting till nightfall worked well.

This is solved, mods can lock it.

HadjiQuest on