As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another turtle [chat]

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    alcohol poisoning is hard to get

I only know one person who's had it and he drank half a bottle of absinthe

tell that to like a quarter of the freshman girls that I saw as an RA all four years of college.

again, different story over here

most girls have been drinking since they were 13/14, so they know their limits.

the only girl I've seen get incredibly bad from drink over here was from New Zealand and wasn't used to keeping up with us. That was a messy night

Tav, just to make sure I'm remembering correctly. You're Irish, right?

You probably all have fatty livers, y'know

Daxon on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I read his book Louis Riel, about the 1800s Canadian Indian activist. It was really good, and I want to check this one out.

I do think it's kind of funny that yet another underground cartoonist has kind of come out as a relationship-challenged recluse. I love underground/indie comix but I do think the autobiographical ones end up sometimes coalescing into a blur of "I'm an awkward balding dude in my 30s who collects jazz records and model trains." Like, their nerdy hobbies are never even popular nerdy hobbies.

In my experience, only the strangest people do model trains.

I've only ever met one model train enthusiast that I'm aware of, but he was an interesting guy. He was at my workplace for a job interview and we started talking and he gave me this brochure for an open house homes tour of all the fanciest model train setups. Like, the model train society was having a weekend where you could just go into people's houses or gardens and ooh and aah at their stuff.

I actually kind of wanted to check it out but I was working that weekend. Still, some of the photos were really cool, and all the houses were in neighborhoods that were totally loaded.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

tell that to like a quarter of the freshman girls that I saw as an RA all four years of college.

the only girl I've seen get incredibly bad from drink over here was from New Zealand and wasn't used to keeping up with us. That was a messy night

In the Irish, the liver is actually the last part of the body to biodegrade.

In a million years, when the earth is destroyed, there will just be Irish livers, flying all over the universe, crashing into other planets, destroying stars.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

I know that I'm also helped by being a big dude. Me and a bro of mine have been drinking on a regular basis together since forever. I've got about 100lbs on him and if he tries to keep up, he ends up blacked out in the taxi. It's nice that he always agrees to split the cost of pre-drinks 50-50 even though he sure as shit ain't drinking half the alcohol we buy.

Tav on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Sadly drinking does nothing but fuck your sleep cycle up, sure you'll pass out, but you'll wake up at 3am and stare at the ceiling the rest of the night.

Yeah, that's the irony. It helps you get to the first stage of sleep but interferes with your ability to reach the later stages of sleep.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Most people who die from acute alcohol abuse die either because they were doing something stupid like driving or boating, or they aspirated on their own vomit.

That's why the best thing you can do for somebody who is passed out drunk is to make sure they're lying on their side.

I saved someone's life once by doing that.

well I can't be sure he would have died of course.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SuperbassSuperbass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a friend who stopped smoking pot a few years back because he said he didn't like how it slowed down his brain. This guy has since become the most avid user of psychedelics that I have ever known. Fucker just loves LSD.

He has a very '60s/'70s attitude about the whole thing -- exploring one's subconscious, opening your mind, playing with perception, etc. It's all about opening and awakening and turning things on and seeing new things.

I have never understood this.

I used to smoke pot until I started having brutal anxiety (and the UN tells me a few years later that they're linked -- thanks a lot, fuckers!), because pot is great for when you're depressed. Pot makes you utterly OK with everything. Depression is almost like a pain disorder, where everything is intolerable. Everything is an indicator that you suck and that life sucks and that everything hurts. Pot makes everything look and feel and taste good, makes life seem easy and simple and hilarious. I loved the way it slowed me down and stopped me from analyzing anything.

But yeah then as I grew older, anxiety supplanted depression and I found the joy in booze. Drink booze and suddenly you just don't care about all the horrible things that could be just around the corner. You just stop worrying. You stop being paralyzed, you stop being crushed by the weight of an entire world of dread that never stops pressing down on you preventing you from functioning.

It's not so good for the depression thing, though.

Of course now I'm depressed and crippled with severe anxiety, so I'm SOL for self-medication. Unless spending 16 hours a day in bed on a laptop is a kind of self-medication. It doesn't seem terribly effective, though.

Sigh. I need a drink.

Superbass on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Sadly drinking does nothing but fuck your sleep cycle up, sure you'll pass out, but you'll wake up at 3am and stare at the ceiling the rest of the night.

I used to wake up after exactly 6 hours of sleep after being drunk.

now I go back to sleep if I do.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When I get really drunk I usually in my drunken-logic make it a point to stay up until I am pretty much sober. I'd rather not sleep and then go to sleep really late than toss and turn all night.

But even for all the goofy drunk posting I do in [chat], I don't think I've gotten hangover drunk in a 6 months or so.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Superbass wrote: »
    I have a friend who stopped smoking pot a few years back because he said he didn't like how it slowed down his brain. This guy has since become the most avid user of psychedelics that I have ever known. Fucker just loves LSD.

He has a very '60s/'70s attitude about the whole thing -- exploring one's subconscious, opening your mind, playing with perception, etc. It's all about opening and awakening and turning things on and seeing new things.

I have never understood this.

I used to smoke pot until I started having brutal anxiety (and the UN tells me a few years later that they're linked -- thanks a lot, fuckers!), because pot is great for when you're depressed. Pot makes you utterly OK with everything. Depression is almost like a pain disorder, where everything is intolerable. Everything is an indicator that you suck and that life sucks and that everything hurts. Pot makes everything look and feel and taste good, makes life seem easy and simple and hilarious. I loved the way it slowed me down and stopped me from analyzing anything.

But yeah then as I grew older, anxiety supplanted depression and I found the joy in booze. Drink booze and suddenly you just don't care about all the horrible things that could be just around the corner. You just stop worrying. You stop being paralyzed, you stop being crushed by the weight of an entire world of dread that never stops pressing down on you preventing you from functioning.

It's not so good for the depression thing, though.

Of course now I'm depressed and crippled with severe anxiety, so I'm SOL for self-medication. Unless spending 16 hours a day in bed on a laptop is a kind of self-medication. It doesn't seem terribly effective, though.

Sigh. I need a drink.

Self medication is a pretty sure way to suckville when you have mental issues like that. Go see a doctor.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feral, do you think YouSendIt is okay to use for an office of about 30 people?

Or is there some alternative I should be looking at? Something more secure/professional?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    drunk sleeping is the worst

so much tossing and turning

Tav on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Or is there some alternative I should be looking at? Something more secure/professional?

Yeah, I think it's fine. We had a professional account with them at my old job and they were pretty legit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Self medication is a pretty sure way to suckville when you have mental issues like that. Go see a doctor.

Yeah I have a therapist

Superbass on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

DropBox is a good solution. I've used it before at offices and had very positive experiences.

Superbass on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Superbass wrote: »

Yeah I have a therapist

Hi5. Fist pound. Belly bump. All that...

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Black beans and rice are a-ok.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vancouver give me a fucking break, guys.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    did i tell you guys how i tried to re=enlist in the army and they rejected me?

because yeah

that happened

:(

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Hah. I'm not sure which is creepier, the Olympics one or the laptop one.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gim wrote: »

Hah. I'm not sure which is creepier, the Olympics one or the laptop one.

I love the bistro one.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That one borders on insanity if someone thought they were actually getting away with it.

Gim on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    caption0608_2.jpg

um

what a weird photoshop

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is now a regular post. Post likewise.

Gim on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have food in my belly, my apartment is a comfortable temperature, and I got to cuddle with my love for a bit. Life is pretty good.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have food in my belly, my apartment is a comfortable temperature, and I got to cuddle with my love for a bit. Life is pretty good.

:^:

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thom how did you rid yourself of that windows security malware?

I went to bed before I could check if you answered last night

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have mac, I have cheese, I have milk and butter. Soon the ritual will be complete.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is thebest photoshop of all time

takers_poster.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tumblr_lmhs1rALKp1qatjzso1_500.jpg

I kind of want to see Don King and Mike Tyson in a production of Of Mice and Men.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw a Dodge ad on Hulu and afterward thought, wait, hold on, that was Michael C Hall doing the voice over!

I hit up youtube and sure enough, no only was it him, but someone had already edited the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LgfHbRGhs

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I did. It was a pain in the ass but I removed it. Lots of registry key hunting, then tracking down some files. Followed with removing a file attempting to hide from me by pretending to be a system file. Then fixing the .exe association.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Robos, you consistently bring us the most amazing things

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hahaha my brother will never be able to do that :(

Bummer. Thanks, Thom! Glad your night is going well!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I did. It was a pain in the ass but I removed it. Lots of registry key hunting, then tracking down some files. Followed with removing a file attempting to hide from me by pretending to be a system file. Then fixing the .exe association.

Why not just re-install Windows?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So someone in the Silent Hill thread just said that one of the games in the series is better than the one that hasn't been released yet.

Just like, Silent Hill 4 is better than Homecoming and also better than Downpour.

Downpour isn't even close to being out yet.

I need to stop posting in G&T because people make me so mad.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was so ravenous that my jaw hurts from eating so much so fast. I've never had that happen before! It was like I was powered by a small black hole.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hahaha my brother will never be able to do that :(

Bummer. Thanks, Thom! Glad your night is going well!

Hrm, are you being hit with it? I can write up more detailed instructions.
    Why not just re-install Windows?

Because it took less time. And I dislike being bested.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.