Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] PA Server is Beholder!

DunxcoDunxco Should get a suitNever skips breakfastRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
The server is Beholder.

We are on Beholder.

here is a Beholder:

9Nvn4qf.png

nno_logo.png

So let's talk a little about this upcoming game, shall we?

From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
Neverwinter is an upcoming co-operative online role-playing game in development by Cryptic Studios for the PC platform and is currently scheduled for a "late" 2011 release.[2] Based in the fictional Dungeons & Dragons city of Neverwinter, the game will be released as a crossmedia event coinciding with the release of an upcoming trilogy of books by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore as well as an upcoming tabletop game from Wizards of the Coast.[3] Neverwinter was announced on August 23, 2010. Neverwinter is a standalone game in the Neverwinter Nights series.[2]
What do we know about Neverwinter?

It' set 100 years after the Spellplague, and during Neverwinter's rebuilding. Neverwinter had a nasty run-in with a volcano that pretty much kicked its arse. A lot of Neverwinter has been rebuilt, but it's still ongoing. And nasty things are conspiring to take advantage of that, as is the way with Dungeons & Dragons. Oh and the Lord of Neverwinter is dead. Things are a bit hectic because of that. Factions are vying for control. The dead are rising to attack the city they once called home.

It's being developed by Cryptic Studios. The game is in the hands of the developers of City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online, and Star Trek online.

It's not your run-of-the-mill MMO! The official site pins it as a co-operative, online RPG. Cryptic Studios Chief Operating Officer Jack Emmert had this to say of Neverwinter:
"It's not an MMO in the sense that there aren't zones with hundreds-and-hundreds of people. You are not fighting for spawns. There's a very strong storyline throughout the game. So it's more of a story-based game closer to things like Dragon Age or Oblivion, which we really try to follow."

It's a game where you play with your friends, the AI, or both. Yup, you can team up with pals, or give commands to NPC characters and work together to attain your goals.

It's an MMO where you can make scenarios! So there's the Foundry. And using the foundry, you can make your own quests and dungeons and shit for you and your friends to enjoy. And then you can share them with the rest of the game's community.

It's got five classes and uses modified 4th Ed rules. Warrior, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger. And it's the first Neverwinter game to use 4th ed rules.

It's slated for 2011. So it should be out by the end of the year. Hopefully.
Want some screenshots? Well here you go:
Spoiler:
Want a trailer? We got that too:

Neverwinter trailer

Jacobkosh on
SniperGuyArch
«13456740

Posts

  • citizen059citizen059 on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeamRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ahh, the online world of Neverwinter.

    Glorious days spent as a cheerful halfling cleric burning emo kids as they roleplayed dark, moody (but sexy and cool) vampires. This, even before the era of the Twilight books!

    I might never again have the opportunity to ruin someone's (dark, brooding, but mysteriously cool and edgy) day with a smile, a "Hi there!", and the blinding pain of a Searing Light spell...but this game still looks like it might have potential.

    Knowing that it's Cryptic gives me pause, as I didn't really enjoy their previous offerings...but hey, it's Neverwinter. It'll probably be worth a look.

  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Self made quests and Dungeons is what really grabs me.

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is the most adorable giant spider I have ever seen. <3

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Henchman 21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not completely related, but...

    gu_20110603.jpg

    Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll watch this one develop as I do like me some D&D I have reservations about Cryptic doing this, they get some things right and just blow on other parts.

  • ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Self made quests and Dungeons is what really grabs me.

    Ditto.

    As a RPer, this game could be the holy grail. I have doubts, (its Atari after all), but the game has serious potential to be extremely unique and deliciously creative.

    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plus, also, D&D has the BEST DRAGONS!

    Color-Coded for Your Convenience!

    elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Unless they're albino.

    Then you've got yourself a conundrum.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Color-Coded for Your Convenience!

    Heh, heh, nice! This made me howl.

    But of course, this is a tradition that I'm glad Atari won't fuck with. I mean come on, my Blue Dragon has been spitting lightning since 1980. If you don't like that, get off my fucking lawn. :)

    But, I'll also say WOTC's redesign of several dragons (the blue in particular, it looks like a fucking rhinoceros), is pretty dreadful.

    Another problem with WOTC's style, is they've bought into the PC argument about sexism. Uh, its fantasy, sexual archetypes are one of the bastions on which fantasy is built. Still, the 3rd edition female Elf, looked like a gender-neutral librarian with a 24-inch chest. I love Gloria Steinheim, I'll gladly attend her lecture and agree with her, but I can respect feminist causes and still leer at cleavage in my stupid fantasy book/game.

    WOW and EQ gave us cleavage...in the "Succubus, Monster Manual" vein...and were richly rewarded for their homage to the human mammary gland. :)

    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The guy behind CO was hinting about this two years ago at GenCon. Couldn't get him to spill the beans at all.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My impressions while watching the trailer:

    A new Faerun D&D game?! :)

    ... from Cryptic :x

    I remain cautiously optimistic. I was just recently pining for an actual 4E D&D game and it sounds like hopefully they are trying to make a faithful reproduction of the tabletop experience rather than some adulterated Dark Alliance type thing.

    My darkest fear for this game, and I can see the writing all over the wall with how they're dancing around the pricing, is that they're going to be using some kind of bullshit unending stream of paid DLC or freemium/subscription fee on this, and force you to buy all of the content with cryptic fun bucks or feel like a peasant. I can just see it now, 1 month after release, now you can buy the special "Druid" premium class for $6.99! Subscribers get updates for freeeee!

    The user-generated content creation sounds like it has potential though. Spore for big boys plus the aurora authoring tools.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Give me this and a good group of people to play with and I'll never look at another MMO again. This is what will make my buy a new PC.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well we'll just have to see how this stacks up against DDO, as they will be direct competitors. If they want to charge a monthly fee for this game though, they probably will fail, DDO is pretty much the king of freebie online offerings right now, and they make a killing. To compete they will even have to offer a lot more than DDO for the asking price, or not charge a monthly fee at all and go with something like the guild wars route, or cryptics current offering of CO.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully this will be free to play. Going to be following this game and can't wait for the beta.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well we'll just have to see how this stacks up against DDO, as they will be direct competitors. If they want to charge a monthly fee for this game though, they probably will fail, DDO is pretty much the king of freebie online offerings right now, and they make a killing. To compete they will even have to offer a lot more than DDO for the asking price, or not charge a monthly fee at all and go with something like the guild wars route, or cryptics current offering of CO.

    I think The Foundry makes it a completely different experience. I'm wondering if there will be some sort of meeting lobby/community or if you'll have to go out of your way to find friends to play with. Built in VoIP would be nice too.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    While I want to like this game so very very much, I have incredible doubts considering it is in development by a studio Atari is trying to sell. Who knows how long it will be supported.

  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Atari already sold Cryptic. They were picked up by some Korean MMO developer.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Atari already sold Cryptic. They were picked up by some Korean MMO developer.

    Same people who have Torchlight it looks like.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ArthilArthil Henchman 21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Atari already sold Cryptic. They were picked up by some Korean MMO developer.

    Same people who have Torchlight it looks like.

    This makes me a bit more optimistic.

    Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg
  • ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User
    edited June 2011
    But Atari still holds the rights to publish D&D right? That was part of a Hasbro deal that was cut long ago, that led to Peter Adkinson leaving Wizards and WOTC eventually abandoning the open-source model.

    Do we know if Atari is taking charge of this now, or Cryptic? Or are the two going to work in tandem but with Cryptic as a separate private partner in the development?

    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shamelessely stolen from the Neverwinter page on Wikipedia, because this is pretty fascinating stuff:
    Turbine, the developers of Dungeons & Dragons Online sued Atari for not promoting the online game's free-to-play launch. The reason was that Turbine believed that Atari was under-promoting the game in order to promote their own internally-developed Dungeons & Dragons MMO therefore they wanted the publishing rights to themselves in order to promote it. The result was of Atari retaining publishing rights in some areas and Turbine gaining them elsewhere and Dungeons & Dragons online being more heavily promoted. During this time, concept art of what appeared to be locations on the Sword Coast was leaked onto the Cryptic Studios website. Fans believed Turbine's lawsuit and Cryptic's unannounced game to be related in some way. After Dungeons & Dragons online began to be promoted more heavily, fans looked for more information regarding Cryptic's MMO. They came to the end result that Turbine sued Atari because they believed that Atari was looking to abandon or stop promoting Dungeons & Dragons Online, due to there being a complete lack of promotion by 2009, in order to heavily promote their upcoming and unannounced Neverwinter Nights MMO. Atari also bought Cryptic Studio's around this time.

    On August 23, Atari announced their Neverwinter Nights MMO game entitled Neverwinter to be developed by Cryptic Studios. However, due to a lack of details, Atari is still more heavily promoting Turbine's Dungeons & Dragon's Online. They revealed that the game would coincide with a multi-media event revolving around the city of Neverwinter. With four books being released, one already in stores, a co-operative board game and a D&D role-playing game being released to promote the launch of the MMO. In May 2011, Atari announced that it would be selling Cryptic Studios. They stated that operations of Star Trek Online and Champions Online would continue as normal and that the development of Neverwinter, too, would continue as normal. Gamasutra reported that development of Neverwinter would continue as normal only for the time being.

  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Damnit! Star Wars, GW2, Isengard in LotRO...this is too much too soon!

    Chanus wrote: »

    Your wang is a better man than you.
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Shamelessely stolen from the Neverwinter page on Wikipedia, because this is pretty fascinating stuff:
    Turbine, the developers of Dungeons & Dragons Online sued Atari for not promoting the online game's free-to-play launch. The reason was that Turbine believed that Atari was under-promoting the game in order to promote their own internally-developed Dungeons & Dragons MMO therefore they wanted the publishing rights to themselves in order to promote it. The result was of Atari retaining publishing rights in some areas and Turbine gaining them elsewhere and Dungeons & Dragons online being more heavily promoted. During this time, concept art of what appeared to be locations on the Sword Coast was leaked onto the Cryptic Studios website. Fans believed Turbine's lawsuit and Cryptic's unannounced game to be related in some way. After Dungeons & Dragons online began to be promoted more heavily, fans looked for more information regarding Cryptic's MMO. They came to the end result that Turbine sued Atari because they believed that Atari was looking to abandon or stop promoting Dungeons & Dragons Online, due to there being a complete lack of promotion by 2009, in order to heavily promote their upcoming and unannounced Neverwinter Nights MMO. Atari also bought Cryptic Studio's around this time.

    On August 23, Atari announced their Neverwinter Nights MMO game entitled Neverwinter to be developed by Cryptic Studios. However, due to a lack of details, Atari is still more heavily promoting Turbine's Dungeons & Dragon's Online. They revealed that the game would coincide with a multi-media event revolving around the city of Neverwinter. With four books being released, one already in stores, a co-operative board game and a D&D role-playing game being released to promote the launch of the MMO. In May 2011, Atari announced that it would be selling Cryptic Studios. They stated that operations of Star Trek Online and Champions Online would continue as normal and that the development of Neverwinter, too, would continue as normal. Gamasutra reported that development of Neverwinter would continue as normal only for the time being.

    What does that last line even mean?

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think that meant that since a lawsuit was still on-going, the status of the game can still change, possibly causing it to be canceled.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    I think that meant that since a lawsuit was still on-going, the status of the game can still change, possibly causing it to be canceled.

    Why would Turbine suing Atari stop a game by Cryptic?

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ArthilArthil Henchman 21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Atari owns(owned) Cryptic.

    Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    And even now that Atari doesn't own Cryptic, Atari is still the publisher for Neverwinter.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User
    edited June 2011
    This all makes me sad, because it all stems from Hasbro's terrible decision to sell the D&D rights away, as part of the Hasbro Interactive sale. Hasbro Interactive was a dog's breakfast and they were so desperate to unload the thing, they threw away D&D with it.

    Like I said earlier, it was this move that pushed Adkinson out of Wizards and led the brain drain out of WOTC since.

    We go from a brilliantly tailored 3e, to that cluster that is 4e. We see D&D's revenue shrink to half of its former self and we see WOTC squander millions on clusters like "Gleemax".

    Honestly, it's really sad. Given how massive fantasy is right now (and fantasy gaming in particular), its sad to see the Grandfather of them all limp along with such terrible representation.

    Let's hope this is all settled and that Neverwinter brings D&D back to the stature it deserves.

    In the meantime, I'll be running my Pathfinder campaign and hoping for a brighter day. :)

    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi oh... oh my!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    :(

    All I want is NWN 1, with 4th Ed. rules and shiny graphics. Not a quasi-MMO that's being created by Cryptic.

    kvhn.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Built in VoIP would be nice too.

    http://www.vivox.com/press-releases-detail.php?id=59

    Cryptic Studios Find Its Voice with Vivox

    Vivox to provide HD voice chat for Cryptic's award-winning online video games
    Spoiler:

    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »
    This all makes me sad, because it all stems from Hasbro's terrible decision to sell the D&D rights away, as part of the Hasbro Interactive sale. Hasbro Interactive was a dog's breakfast and they were so desperate to unload the thing, they threw away D&D with it.

    Like I said earlier, it was this move that pushed Adkinson out of Wizards and led the brain drain out of WOTC since.

    We go from a brilliantly tailored 3e, to that cluster that is 4e. We see D&D's revenue shrink to half of its former self and we see WOTC squander millions on clusters like "Gleemax".

    Honestly, it's really sad. Given how massive fantasy is right now (and fantasy gaming in particular), its sad to see the Grandfather of them all limp along with such terrible representation.

    Let's hope this is all settled and that Neverwinter brings D&D back to the stature it deserves.

    In the meantime, I'll be running my Pathfinder campaign and hoping for a brighter day. :)

    4E is selling poorly? I would be interested in the citation on that!

    But I wouldn't bet on Neverwinter being anything more than a rush job that flounders with a buggy initial release and never recovers, just like most MMOs.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Yes, 4e isn't doing well. If it were, Paizo wouldn't be thriving, which it is. Also, you'll notice D&D scaling back its offerings, novels and minis are now gone (and in contrast Paizo is expanding their offering, which will soon include pre-painted minis). The brand is visibly diminished and Paizo chugs along and is even hiring, demonstrating, clearly a rift in the customer base. If you ask for actual sales figures, Wizards never publishes them, but they are Hasbro statements. Hasbro has cited the success of MTGO and MTG in their recently statements, no mention of the "strength" of D&D though, noticeably absent wouldn't you say?

    And I can't remember the last large MMO that released recently with major bugs. Which ones do you refer to? The most recent fantasy MMO (Rift) went extremely well and is extremely popular. Launches aren't the clusters they used to be. DCUO had some issues with chatting on their console version, that's about the most major launch bug I can think of in the last year or so.

    So, make no mistake, the MMO industry is booming, that's why everyone is investing in them. Sure, so few ever reach the scale of WOW, but WOW's bar is astronomically high. Blizzard is a billion dollar industry because of WOW, D&D 4e is about a 10 million a year industry now. How sad.

    So its the paper and pen industry that is reeling and 4e neutered the brand, because it essentially split the few customers it had into two groups, one that embraced open source and the other that went along like lemmings with a system that made you pay extra for books just to get Gnomes, a D&D staple for decades. ;)

    Neverwinter has potential. It will never ascend to Blizzard's numbers, but it could settle in as a comfortable niche-MMO and thrive at that level. Games like City of Heroes have occupied this kind of space for seven years. One advantage is the content-creation is a unique offering, it will attract a type of player for that alone.

    If you want to insist 4e is booming despite all evidence to the contrary, but then insist Neverwinter will suck, despite no evidence this is true, then go ahead and stick close to your preconceived notion. But I wager, Neverwinter will probably survive as a legitimate niche product. Why do I think this? Because other games that don't offer their unique feature-set and don't feature an association to such a highly recognizable brand.

    There will be bugs (there always are, even in highly controlled, tested releases like Cataclysm), but I doubt it will be anything that paralyzes you from playing or accessing major feature sets. Those days are largely over, most MMO releases have kinks, but the days of major server outages or complete dysfunction are largely over.

    MMOs are winning for a reason. And I wager Neverwinter will be a viable option in this booming industry.

    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »
    Yes, 4e isn't doing well. If it were, Paizo wouldn't be thriving, which it is. Also, you'll notice D&D scaling back its offerings, novels and minis are now gone (and in contrast Paizo is expanding their offering, which will soon include pre-painted minis).

    Er, Paizo has a one-off pre-painted minis set, where you get 4 static hero characters for about $15. They have no plans to continue the line, sticking with their PF-branded metal minis.

    D&D is still coming out with novels. The prepainted minis are gone, true, but they're releasing monster tokens, instead, with the Monster Vault, and some really solid map products (usable in just about any edition).

    They've also released three *fantastic* D&D board games in the past year-and-a-half or so (which come with a whole lot of minis, each).
    one that embraced open source and the other that went along like lemmings with a system that made you pay extra for books just to get Gnomes, a D&D staple for decades. ;)

    Look, your bias is really, really apparent here. The 4E split in the fan base is no worse than the 2E->3E split; it's just more vocal and visible on the web.

    And, for the record, I'm currently playing PF, so that should head off any sort of attacks from that direction.

    elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User
    edited June 2011
    I hope this fails spectacularly just so the rest of the gaming industry won't bother trying to do what Atari and Cryptic set out to do (Pump out as many half-finished MMOs you can and make money out of box sales, lifetime offers for suckers and DLC in addition to the subs).

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »
    So its the paper and pen industry that is reeling and 4e neutered the brand, because it essentially split the few customers it had into two groups, one that embraced open source and the other that went along like lemmings with a system that made you pay extra for books just to get Gnomes, a D&D staple for decades. ;)

    You have a short memory. 3E received pretty much the exact same complaints from 2E die hards. It's the ciiiircle of Grog~

    Any talk of 4E neutering the brand is a narrative constructed from whole cloth. I could point out that 4E has a significant advantage in terms of number of books in Amazons top seller list over Pathfinder, or that it's regularly cited as a best seller in the NYT (which Pathfinder has not been), but even then I would be constructing a narrative from incredibly limited data points. Which, by the way, you've provided none at all. You've made some broad claims that a thriving 4E and a thriving Paizo are mutually exclusive, a claim which needs significant citation to be treated as actual evidence.

    The simple fact is that WotC has released no sales figures and that all of us are speculating wildly. The Pen and Paper industry is almost certainly in decline to one degree or another simply on grounds of the economy. Anything beyond that, specifically with regards to D&D? We don't really know.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ArchonexArchonex Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    I hope this fails spectacularly just so the rest of the gaming industry won't bother trying to do what Atari and Cryptic set out to do (Pump out as many half-finished MMOs you can and make money out of box sales, lifetime offers for suckers and DLC in addition to the subs).

    Except Cryptic has been pumping out a ridiculous amount of content for it's two games so far, with Star Trek Online in particular literally getting entirely new features bi-monthly. So your comment is kind of ill conceived and lacking any indication of you actually checking up on the games past release.

    MMO's tend to release half finished. This is a fact. It's what they do with the MMO in the months after that that matters. Not every MMO developer has the budget of EA or Activision to fall back on. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.


    Not too thrilled that they're converting NWN into a MMO. But i'll hold off on the doom-saying until I see evidence that it isn't going to have the flexibility of NWN.

  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have read at least 3 Neverwinter related interviews with a high-up at Cryptic candidly admitting that STO and CO were an attempt to replicate what they did with COH by producing games very rapidly, but that this strategy ended up being untenable and needed to evolve.

    And for what it's worth, they are stating pretty emphatically that Neverwinter is not an MMO.

  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Not too thrilled that they're converting NWN into a MMO. But i'll hold off on the doom-saying until I see evidence that it isn't going to have the flexibility of NWN.

    It's not really an mmo like most are used to. From the way it sounds, they're banking on players generating enough new and interesting content (most likely searchable through an interface with a robust rating system) to keep players subscribed. The benefit of being like an mmo is that all characters are made and use the same ruleset, same gear / loot / abilities and can freely go between all the user generated content instead of the thousand different shards created by NWN1 and NWN2.

    There's so much crap you have to download between each PW server for NWN1/2 and you can't take your characters from server to server. So you either find one or two you really like or you lose interest in the game overall. D&D : Neverwinter won't have that problem.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Instead it'll have the problem of users possibly paying for access to user-created content more than developer-created content.

    But I guess I'll give Cryptic a chance first.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll gladly pay money for good DLC. It's not like it's actually expensive (skip that Americano) or anything. Whatever keeps the good content coming.

    I'm hoping for some nicely done recreations of classic modules from the 80s.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
«13456740
This discussion has been closed.