As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exercise with limited resources/space

GrizzledGrizzled Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
After lots of false starts I have finally managed to get onto a regular schedule of working out over the last couple of months. I'm happy with the results (going mostly for core strength and cardio/endurance rather than trying to get big). I mostly do free weights and running/elliptical.

In a couple of weeks I'm off to do field research, for about six weeks. During that time I'll be living in a shack, in the jungle, in Central America. Therefore there are no weights or machines, nowhere to run, and not a lot space or resources. But I would like to not lose all the progress I've made so far. Also, we mostly live on fried chicken and rice and beans, so I will need to work out just to maintain my current level of fitness.

So: what exercises can I do in this situation? The goal is improving cardio and building overall strength and tone. I thought of pushups/situps, lunges and burpees, but I am looking for additional ideas.

Also, what could I do for equipment, specifically weights? I was thinking about filling some water jugs with sand or something like that, and I think I could make a barbell from pipes, concrete and tin cans.

Grizzled on

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure living in the fucking jungle and eating chicken, rice, and beans qualifies as it's own goddamn workout.

You probably should be more concerned with eating enough rather than working out enough.

I mean, walking around the jungle will probably burn a lot of calories and keep you fit.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I doubt it's fried chicken. Probably BBQ chicken.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe take a look at bodyweight exercises. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyweight_exercise

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pullups, if you want to maintain some sort of cardio add jumprope.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burpees. Look up Convict Conditioning, it's all about bodyweight exercises done in a relatively small space.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, the Insanity routine only needs about a 9ft space to get a serious cardio workout.

spool32 on