As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    My steelseries raw died...
    Had it for a little over a year. Got up to go cook something and came back and the thing ceased to work. Tried other mice to no avail. Did a win 8 rollback to a previous system point and the other mice started working. The steelseries was quite hot to the touch. My voodoo theory is that the win 8 automatic system updates did something to my mouse drivers that scared the steelseries into burning up internally. VOODOO I SAY.
    After whatever win 8 automatic update kept applying and stopping my mice from working I disabled non critical updates and have had my spare mouse working ever since. Sad about the steel series though. I want to blame win 8 because that seems like the normal thing to do. but who knows, maybe the mouse wasn't good either?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I rearranged my setup (aka moved my wife to the desk and took her chair) and now I'm using my steel series. Wish it was wireless but oh well :)

• Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular
    I have a wired Logitech G400 and used it for a lot of hours of Dota 2 and Battlefield 3. I use it more than 1,5 years now and its pretty good. Never had an actual gaming mouse before. As a mousepad, I bought one from Steelseries, its also nice, but desk alone suited me fine before. Some more buttons are always nice to have, but in fact, I do not use them so much at Battlefield. With or without the mouse, I'm doing well, but I will buy just the same again when she dies :)

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man that logitech proteus looks really cool; I have always liked the idea of the RAT mice but quality control issues kept me away

I'm really more of a palm grip guy though, and it looks like it might not be a good fit for that? Hard to tell without having one to mess with

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I noodled with one at Best Buy. It's a palm grip mouse, but a very narrow palm grip. Like if someone took the 602 or the 700 and just squeezed the sides in a bit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    can you widen them at all, or is the adjustment limited to the weights?

I guess if they have them at best buy I can just go play with one myself one of these days

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    No, the mouse isn't adjustable like a RAT or anything. The only adjustment you can make is adding weights to the underside. It was a little too narrow for my ogre hands, but if you have normal human sized hands, it might be a comfortable palm grip. Check it out at a Best Buy and see if they have 'em out for you to fondle.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    How long do razer nagas usually last? I found a pretty good deal on the newest one but I don't want it crapping out and double clicking after a year for that price. Especially because my logitech is 4 years old and still marching
    I've had a Naga for over 3 years. It just started double clicking a couple days ago.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Whomever suggested the Roccat Kone mouse a couple of months back, I salute you. Purchased one and so far I'm very happy with it. A decent number of configurable buttons but, more important, very comfortable to use. Years of boxing have made it difficult for me to use a mouse for more than a few minutes at a time, but the Kone XTD significantly lessens the discomfort.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    How long do razer nagas usually last? I found a pretty good deal on the newest one but I don't want it crapping out and double clicking after a year for that price. Especially because my logitech is 4 years old and still marching
    I've had a Naga for over 3 years. It just started double clicking a couple days ago.

IIRC most high end mice use omron switches regardless. Sort of how the world plus dog uses cherry switches. There are some exceptions, but the button switches in a Steelseries, Razer, Zowie, Logitech, insert brand here high end mouse are all coming from the same source. While there have been bad batches, there really shouldn't be a difference in their life expectancy.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Whomever suggested the Roccat Kone mouse a couple of months back, I salute you. Purchased one and so far I'm very happy with it. A decent number of configurable buttons but, more important, very comfortable to use. Years of boxing have made it difficult for me to use a mouse for more than a few minutes at a time, but the Kone XTD significantly lessens the discomfort.

Was probably me! I'm loving my Kone XTD.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I mostly love my Kone[+], it's comfortable and aesthetically pleasing (which is all too uncommon among gaming oriented peripherals). Except that the mouse wheel is broken. I already shipped it back to be replaced once and it died again with a couple months.

So in other news, I've learned to use a computer again without the use of a scrollwheel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I just got confirmation my Corsair M60's scroll wheel issue is a common physical defect I cannot fix, so I guess I need a replacement

I like the corsair a lot but they seem to be a bit shit at making scroll wheels so I'd rather look elsewhere. Anyone got any recommendations?

Things I like about the corsair I would like in a new mouse

-Top priority is comfort, I want to be able to use it for hours without getting hand ache
    -A robust cable is a plus, I LAN a lot and like equipment that can handle rough treatment
    -Thumb buttons for vent/melee are something i don't want to be without
    -The buttons for messing with sensitivity on the fly are nice but not vital

thanks in advance guys

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I just got confirmation my Corsair M60's scroll wheel issue is a common physical defect I cannot fix, so I guess I need a replacement

I like the corsair a lot but they seem to be a bit shit at making scroll wheels so I'd rather look elsewhere. Anyone got any recommendations?

Things I like about the corsair I would like in a new mouse

-Top priority is comfort, I want to be able to use it for hours without getting hand ache
    -A robust cable is a plus, I LAN a lot and like equipment that can handle rough treatment
    -Thumb buttons for vent/melee are something i don't want to be without
    -The buttons for messing with sensitivity on the fly are nice but not vital

thanks in advance guys

Razer Deathadder for optical sensor and if you're right handed, Steelseries Sensei for laser sensor and it's for both hands. Both have braided cables and use high rated omron switches, both use the best sensor for their type.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    YoungFrey wrote: »

IIRC most high end mice use omron switches regardless. Sort of how the world plus dog uses cherry switches. There are some exceptions, but the button switches in a Steelseries, Razer, Zowie, Logitech, insert brand here high end mouse are all coming from the same source. While there have been bad batches, there really shouldn't be a difference in their life expectancy.

While mostly all of them use OMRON, not all OMRON switches are the same. There are the super ultra Japanese 20 mil click ones, and the regular Chinese 5 mil click ones.

And @Casual‌, as for comfort, it depends on your grip type; palm, fingertip or claw.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Razer Deathadder for optical sensor and if you're right handed, Steelseries Sensei for laser sensor and it's for both hands. Both have braided cables and use high rated omron switches, both use the best sensor for their type.
    I switched from Razor mice to the Steelseries Sensei due to the driver software. Razor drivers suck, and would always require reconfiguration after an OS update, while the Sensei is driverless (it uses the built-in OS mouse drivers), so once setup properly, it always works exactly as you expect.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    I have no idea what my grip type is, didn't even know that was a thing.

I'm looking at the steel series right now, it comes in glossy or rubberised, while I would prefer the rubberised it's a full £16 more for some inexplicable reason. Not having used a glossy mouse before, can anyone tell me the reason for the price difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sensei-Raw-Glossy-Mac/dp/B007N641YA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1400546316&sr=1-1&keywords=steelseries+sensei

• Options
    edited May 2014
    wrong thread

Casual on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Disclaimer: I have never seen this article before today, and make no endorsement of their "best mice" lists, but it DOES have a good description of each type of grip and an image for reference:

http://toptengamer.squidoo.com/palm-claw-grip-gaming-mouse

• Options
    Then fingertip I guess?

• Options

I'm looking at the steel series right now, it comes in glossy or rubberised, while I would prefer the rubberised it's a full £16 more for some inexplicable reason. Not having used a glossy mouse before, can anyone tell me the reason for the price difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sensei-Raw-Glossy-Mac/dp/B007N641YA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1400546316&sr=1-1&keywords=steelseries+sensei

The glossy is nasty when your hands get sweaty. You want the rubberized ones. In the US they both cost the same though.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The glossy is nasty when your hands get sweaty. You want the rubberized ones. In the US they both cost the same though.

I'd argue that rubberized gets pretty gross when it gets sweaty, too, and it's harder to clean a rubberized. Also, eventually, that rubber's going to start wearing off and leave glossy patches anyway.

I use the Sensei, which is the same shape as the Raw with silver glossy plastic, but it's easy enough to clean.

In the end, it's all preference.

• Options

Houn wrote: »

I'd argue that rubberized gets pretty gross when it gets sweaty, too, and it's harder to clean a rubberized. Also, eventually, that rubber's going to start wearing off and leave glossy patches anyway.

I use the Sensei, which is the same shape as the Raw with silver glossy plastic, but it's easy enough to clean.

In the end, it's all preference.

It's preference but the rubber coating was added because people complained about the glossy ones turning into a slip and slide when you sweat.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The longer lasting ones are textured plastic. Both glossy (especially painted/coated glossy) and rubberized wear off.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I prefer textured plastic over a rubberized coating by far.

• Options
    The longer lasting ones are textured plastic. Both glossy (especially painted/coated glossy) and rubberized wear off.

Anecdotal and all that but I've worn through texture plastic on the Razer, the rubberized Sensei Raw, whatever is on the logitech G400 and G400s, and the glossy metal Sensei at one point or another. The rubberized lasted slightly longer, the texturized plastic went quick as hell where my hand made contact, and then glossy just started to chip after a bit. It's just different, the texturized plastic loses all texture and turns smooth very fast, but it doesn't fall/rub off. So while it's "finished" sooner, it's not really obvious. Where the coating methods are very obvious once they go to hell.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    The pads on my intellimouse explorer 3.0 are getting fucked up... been looking for a replacement for ages but literally nothing seems to exist that's even as good as this mouse. People have mentioned the steelseries rival but it looks awful and doesn't seem to have the same glossy surface.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    The pads on my intellimouse explorer 3.0 are getting fucked up... been looking for a replacement for ages but literally nothing seems to exist that's even as good as this mouse. People have mentioned the steelseries rival but it looks awful and doesn't seem to have the same glossy surface.

Razer Deathadder? I know "LOL Razer" but maybe it's more what you're looking for?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Razer Deathadder? I know "LOL Razer" but maybe it's more what you're looking for?

Tried it years ago, hated it. Side buttons are too big and clicky.

• Options

I had one of those years ago, such a great comfy mouse.

For what it's worth I caved and went for the sensei, it's not as large as the intellimouse so it doesn't have that lovely support your whole palm feel but it's still comfy enough.

More importantly it has a scroll wheel that doesn't send me to the edge of madness.

• Options

For what it's worth I caved and went for the sensei, it's not as large as the intellimouse so it doesn't have that lovely support your whole palm feel but it's still comfy enough.

More importantly it has a scroll wheel that doesn't send me to the edge of madness.

Yeah, all roads seem to lead to the sensei. Nothing else looks to be as good.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    I've had a Roccat Kone XTD for 7 months now and love it, I typically palm the mouse.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options

Yeah, all roads seem to lead to the sensei. Nothing else looks to be as good.

The issue is laser vs optical and the inherent arguments there. All laser sensors have some level of acceleration. The sensei's use the best laser options out there, and can reduce or mitigate the issue to the point where most people can't tell it's there, but if you're one of those people who use a large mousepad with low sensitivity on twitch based shooters at high levels you might be able to notice it.

Mice with the top optical sensor (Deathadder, Rival, G400) don't suffer from this problem. But they can't match the DPI settings or mousepad compatibility of laser based mice.

• Options
    Well, I tried out the Sensei today. Hated it. Too small and my ring/pinky fingers kept wanting to click the right side buttons. Also tried the Logitech Proteus Core, which was actually pretty nice aside from a side button resting right where my thumb was which makes the whole thing unusable. It also looks ridiculous.

So the IE3.0 is still lightyears ahead as far as my tastes go. Why is it too much to ask to make a not crazy looking (modern) right handed gaming mouse that actually feels comfortable?

• Options
    I had the exact same issues as you with the sensei and the proteus core. Give the logitech 602 a shot. It fits me like a glove, so it might work for you.

• Options
    I finally got around to going to a best buy to look at some mice and the only display ones they had were like, a dozen tiny wireless mice and a handful of logitechs

I think I must just have a shitty bestbuy or something

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to going to a best buy to look at some mice and the only display ones they had were like, a dozen tiny wireless mice and a handful of logitechs

I know that several of the BB's near me have a separate section for the gaming stuff. Its closer to the console stuff usually.

Example: my Best Buy has all the PC stuff on the right side of the store. The gaming peripherals are in the middle of the store just to the left of the center isle.

• Options
    I dunno, maybe? I asked one of the sales reps if that was all they had for mice and he said that was it

spose I'll have to look elsewhere whenever I'm there next

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options

I know that several of the BB's near me have a separate section for the gaming stuff. Its closer to the console stuff usually.

Example: my Best Buy has all the PC stuff on the right side of the store. The gaming peripherals are in the middle of the store just to the left of the center isle.

I've got three of them close to me. The biggest one has a gaming section with all the Logitech, Razer, Steelseries, and some other brands stuff out. The mice are all clamped and you can palm them, you can clicky the keyboards, and tryout the headphones. The other one has a much more limited amount of stuff out, the third one has nothing out. So it's really a store by store basis.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    I switched from Razor mice to the Steelseries Sensei due to the driver software. Razor drivers suck, and would always require reconfiguration after an OS update, while the Sensei is driverless (it uses the built-in OS mouse drivers), so once setup properly, it always works exactly as you expect.

This is the exact reason I've just ordered a sensei. The razer drivers crapped out on me again, and even a full reinstall has left me with a mouse that I can't alter the sensitivity settings to anything between "a butterfly flapping its wings a mile away will cause the cursor to fly across the screen at 500 miles an hour" and "your cursor is stuck in a tar pit on the surface of the sun". When it worked, it was perfect. Its a shame that didn't happen all that often.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream