As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I mean, it'd be great if they could find a talented actress that looked like Gabi Garcia, but it was never likely.

I think the casting can definitely work. She's tall, and not too slender, so she'll definitely look the part in armor. Her head shots are pretty, but they can work around that.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The closest allegory is probably Tyrion, who is supposed to be way uglier than The Dink. Hard to find actors with credit to their name who are anything less than "Hollywood Homely".

But anyway, scrape off her makeup and give her a bit of a hair frazzle, I think she'll do just fine as Brienne.

yeah she'll be fine.

valiance on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is why make up is used in the movies.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I mean, it'd be great if they could find a talented actress that looked like Gabi Garcia

Bahahaha, what the fuck? This is so unfair.

FWIW I think the lady they chose will do just fine. She definitely has fantastic eyes, which is a must. They can make her ugly.

EDIT: I still want Jena Malone for Asha.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I mean, it'd be great if they could find a talented actress that looked like Gabi Garcia

FWIW I think the lady they chose will do just fine. She definitely has fantastic eyes, which is a must. They can make her ugly.

it'll never happen.

Also, why are we doing this in the HBO thread?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

it'll never happen.

Also, why are we doing this in the HBO thread?

As discussed before - casting news in the TV show thread is fine, as long as we don't go into any plot specifics.

"_____ has been cast as Brienne - she is/isn't how I pictured her." - Fine

"_____ has been cast as Brienne - she'll be great in the scene where she _______." - No good.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've never read the books but I did just finish watching the show and I liked it a lot. I'll probably be getting the books now because I'm not sure I'm ready to take a break from this story yet <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I've started reading GoT, and it's good. It's funny, because Tyrion is described significantly differently than he is portrayed in the show, but if I were merely watching the show I'd see no reason that Dinklage didn't fit the role perfectly.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm not too worried about casting decisions. It's pretty common, in any series or work that has a devoted following, for there to be fierce debates about who is "right" for a character, or whether an actor/actress chosen was "wrong" for a character. Well, the producers will work around their available talent pool, and budget, and with a quality production like Game of Thrones everybody they get will be good, even if they aren't who the fans of the work visualized.

Then, they will massage the details as necessary to make it fit the character.

And it'll be just fine.

I still remember going back and forth with people about who'd be right to play the characters in the Wheel of Time series. On Usenet. On dial-up. :P

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dame Judy Dench for Cadsuane or death!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I've never read the books but I did just finish watching the show and I liked it a lot. I'll probably be getting the books now because I'm not sure I'm ready to take a break from this story yet <3

Hey, look what I got in the mail.
    e783124284f84356a68fbece26a585d6_7.jpg

I had the first three books once, but I lost them in a move. Didn't want to re-buy them since I'd rather spedn the money on stuff I hadn't already read, but now with the show out I wanted to re-read them again.

Was it April 2012 for season 2?

Echo on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    nice echo I got that as well.

finished GoT (book) last night. gonna be a long wait.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »

Hey, look what I got in the mail.
    e783124284f84356a68fbece26a585d6_7.jpg

I had the first three books once, but I lost them in a move. Didn't want to re-buy them since I'd rather spedn the money on stuff I hadn't already read, but now with the show out I wanted to re-read them again.

Was it April 2012 for season 2?

March I think.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's no official date, but next spring sometime.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/07/gwendoline-christie-is-brienne/

Casting news for Season 2: Brienne of Tarth

VERY slight spoiler in the link (i.e. who she is). EDIT: I should add that the comment thread at WiC is fair ground for spoilers, so read the news if you have to and then leave.

It also appears that Asha Greyjoy's casting has leaked as well.

I picture Asha as looking just like Isabela from dragon age 2, only with fair skin. Maybe i'm being unrealistic though!

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, you are. She'd look more like Isabela from the first Dragon Age, if anything. More slender, etc.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, both myself and my girlfriend are huge fans of this series(we've not read the books). However, problem is that neither of us got a great deal(as in, she hated them) out of the sex scenes.

Question is: Does ACoK have much more where AGoT came from in this respect?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hopefully this gets a pass from the mods.

Considering that several of the sex scenes in the show were added in and weren't in the book (some were even taken out), I think we can say we don't know what Clash of Kings will have when it airs, though there was probably about as much sex in the text of both novels.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cojones wrote: »
    So, both myself and my girlfriend are huge fans of this series(we've not read the books). However, problem is that neither of us got a great deal(as in, she hated them) out of the sex scenes.

That depends on HBO. Some were added in by them. Off the top of my head I don't remember any specific ones but I'm sure there are, but again it's really up to HBO how they're going to include these things. And given they decided to increase them in the current series I'd say probably.

Quid on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »

That depends on HBO. Some were added in by them. Off the top of my head I don't remember any specific ones but I'm sure there are, but again it's really up to HBO how they're going to include these things. And given they decided to increase them in the current series I'd say probably.

Also, if True Blood is any indication, once they've fired up the gratuitous sex-scene bandwagon, it's going to continue season after season.

Not that Game of Thrones is the worst offender, or anything. I'm just saying that you can expect a roughly constant amount of gratuitous titties and sex from season to season.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think there are actually more sex scenes in the later books, but that's a different question from whether or not they're going to continue the "sexposition" scenes. In theory, there would be less, since there was a lot more exposition necessary in the first season, but who knows?

If they re-hire Esme Bianco as "Ros, the exposition whore" for S2, we'll probably know they'll keep coming (uh, no pun intended).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    HBO will have as many or more gratuitous sex scenes until the next "moral majority" upsurge.

Boring7 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    if they have to do exposition scenes they are gonna want things on the screen to entertain you. hence the sexposition.

I'd expect more of the same. some nudity in every episode, sometimes male sometimes female.

Variable on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't mind the sex at all. I've seen too many shows where sex is just utterly missing and I'm happy HBO is not afraid to include it in their stories

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    StrayDogStrayDog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure what it is about the sex scenes people don't like. I mean, I know there are a lot of factors (culture, religion) but I know far too many people who have given up on this series because of the sex scenes.

StrayDog on
    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    StrayDog wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it is about the sex scenes people don't like. I mean, I know there are a lot of factors (culture, religion) but I know far too many people who have given up on this series because of the sex scenes.

Not that I necessarily 100% agree with the thought process, but I think people are less turned off by the sex in the show in a puritanical way and more turned off by the sex in this show in a way that it never seems to serve purposes other than to give it the "Hard R" that cablers love to drive home. The sex scenes in GoT were rarely, if ever, intuitive, and oftentimes distracted from the narrative flow of the scene.

Maybe that is a more concise way of putting it. Instead of the sexuality of a scene enhancing the narrative and showing us new things about our character (which shows that the sex fits naturally into place), many of the GoT sex scenes just seemed to distract from narrative purpose, which is kind of a red-flag that the sex in these scenes isn't so much narrative as it is a suit somewhere reading a script and going, "yeah...but where are the boobs..."

EDIT: And before the argument of "well there was a sex scene during that part in the book" come into play, I understand, but just because something works in literature doesn't always mean it will adapt well, and a good television writer understands this.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'd need to look at them again, hardy har, but I think at least some of the sex scenes were telling us something about characters.

also when we say sex scene do we mean any scenes with nudity? ones that implied sex? or ones where actual sex was happening on screen?

Variable on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Not that I necessarily 100% agree with the thought process, but I think people are less turned off by the sex in the show in a puritanical way and more turned off by the sex in this show in a way that it never seems to serve purposes other than to give it the "Hard R" that cablers love to drive home. The sex scenes in GoT were rarely, if ever, intuitive, and oftentimes distracted from the narrative flow of the scene.

Maybe that is a more concise way of putting it. Instead of the sexuality of a scene enhancing the narrative and showing us new things about our character (which shows that the sex fits naturally into place), many of the GoT sex scenes just seemed to distract from narrative purpose, which is kind of a red-flag that the sex in these scenes isn't so much narrative as it is a suit somewhere reading a script and going, "yeah...but where are the boobs..."

EDIT: And before the argument of "well there was a sex scene during that part in the book" come into play, I understand, but just because something works in literature doesn't always mean it will adapt well, and a good television writer understands this.

I couldn't disagree more. Look, allow me to admit something that flew right past me when reading the books, the relationship between Renly and Loras being more intimate. As for the other scenes? It all had something to say about those characters involved, for some there was ALOT said, and I for one was not distracted or un-entertained by it at all. I'll tell ya who wasn't distracted but not entertained, Littlefinger. And who was distracted and entertained, by many, Tyrion.

The way some of you react kind of makes me wish I had boobs though, a swinging dick just doesn't seem to cut it, they must make great distractions, no wonder Littlefinger keeps so many of those who do have them around. At this point, I'm starting to derive entertainment just from other viewers negative reactions to sex scenes, especially those for who all the other little nuances of a scene just disappear.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That prostitute has some rockin tits, so I am definitely for the sex scenes.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I couldn't disagree more. Look, allow me to admit something that flew right past me when reading the books, the relationship between Renly and Loras being more intimate. As for the other scenes? It all had something to say about those characters involved, for some there was ALOT said, and I for one was not distracted or un-entertained by it at all. I'll tell ya who wasn't distracted but not entertained, Littlefinger. And who was distracted and entertained, by many, Tyrion.

The way some of you react kind of makes me wish I had boobs though, a swinging dick just doesn't seem to cut it, they must make great distractions, no wonder Littlefinger keeps so many of those who do have them around. At this point, I'm starting to derive entertainment just from other viewers negative reactions to sex scenes, especially those for who all the other little nuances of a scene just disappear.

I just don't get why so many on the board react so harshly, or at least negatively, towards those who are in any way prudish. I remember when they brought Dexter to network television (for season 1) my wife and I enjoyed it a lot more than watching on showtime. We got the story without excessive gore, cursing, or sex (though Dexter & Game of Thrones don't even compare on that front). It never detracted from the story and my wife was actually able to enjoy watching it.

southwick on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eh, it comes down to personal taste I guess (and the internet). Dexter is a good example. You think it really had excessive gore, cursing or sex if they could remove those and still air it and it made sense? Seems like there be huge gaps in the episode if it was "excessive". Thinking about it now, even on Showtime Dexter isn't full of any of that, is just has them once in awhile (unless Deb is on screen, then cursing 90%).

But some people don't like it, and when people meet other people who don't like what they like on the internet them's fighting words!

And incidentally: Which do you think is worse?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The weird thing is, when we watch True Blood, I think my wife rationalizes the blood/gore since vampires aren't real. I mean, she doesn't like it, but man, she was sick of beheadings by 15 minutes into the first episode.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think a lot of it is necessary:
    Dexter - His reluctance for sex and his lack of discomfort around gore are important to the plot
    GoT - Medieval times were dirty, gory and often sex-driven (see - kings mad due to syphilis)
    True Blood - the whole point of the show appears to be gratuitous sex.

schuss on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    southwick wrote: »

I just don't get why so many on the board react so harshly, or at least negatively, towards those who are in any way prudish. I remember when they brought Dexter to network television (for season 1) my wife and I enjoyed it a lot more than watching on showtime. We got the story without excessive gore, cursing, or sex (though Dexter & Game of Thrones don't even compare on that front). It never detracted from the story and my wife was actually able to enjoy watching it.

I can't speak for others, but personally I find it weird and confusing when people limit their media experience for silly (or at least what I perceive to be) reasons. I am also weirded out by picky eaters, and would probably find it weird if someone told me they only watched shows/film with lots of sex and violence.

oldsak on
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oldsak wrote: »
    I can't speak for others, but personally I find it weird and confusing when people limit their media experience for silly (or at least what I perceive to be) reasons. I am also weirded out by picky eaters, and would probably find it weird if someone told me they only watched shows/film with lots of sex and violence.

Well, for us picky eaters, a lot of foods create a visceral reaction that causes stomach acid to enter the mouth. It's not a pleasant experience. I don't know if the same is true for what some people see on shows/film, but if so it's completely understandable.

Druk on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oldsak wrote: »
    southwick wrote: »

I only eat meals with a lot of sex and violence.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I personally don't mind the gratuitous sex in GoT; however I can say it's probably the only thing holding me back from recommending it to, say, my mom, who would likely otherwise enjoy it.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Well like you said, it's "a lot of factors" and probably different for each person. For some, it is cutlural/religious distaste for public sex acts. For some pornography is a private thing to be watched in the shadows out of shame or personal taste.

For me I cannot separate the cheapness of it. "Sex sells" has been used for so long and by so many that even if the sex scene is relevant or logical as part of the story flow my subconscious reaction is one of distaste. This may make me a hipster douchebag, but when something is trying to appeal to me via distraction and base instinct I am inclined to hate it for the insult to my intelligence. And it doesn't help when the sex scenes indulge in ostensibly-more-titillating taboos like wincest, lolrape, and WHORES! whores! whores! lesbowhores! Those scenes may be relevant and necessary but to my prejudiced and highly-subjective subconscious it is simply more cheap, tawdry bullshit attempting to cover for shitty writing/acting.

Irrational? Quite possibly. But it's still how I feel. Doesn't stop me from watching, but I do find myself waiting, bored, for most of the sex scenes to end.

Boring7 on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is necessary:
    Dexter - His reluctance for sex and his lack of discomfort around gore are important to the plot
    GoT - Medieval times were dirty, gory and often sex-driven (see - kings mad due to syphilis)
    True Blood - the whole point of the show appears to be gratuitous sex.
    This is going to come off as pedantic, but medieval kings didn't go mad from syphilis, since the disease came from the New World post-Columbus.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote: »

I only eat meals with a lot of sex and violence.

That's weird. Don't get me wrong, sex and violence can be great in the right meal, but there are so many other meals out there worth trying.

oldsak on
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Boring7 wrote: »

Well like you said, it's "a lot of factors" and probably different for each person. For some, it is cutlural/religious distaste for public sex acts. For some pornography is a private thing to be watched in the shadows out of shame or personal taste.

For me I cannot separate the cheapness of it. "Sex sells" has been used for so long and by so many that even if the sex scene is relevant or logical as part of the story flow my subconscious reaction is one of distaste. This may make me a hipster douchebag, but when something is trying to appeal to me via distraction and base instinct I am inclined to hate it for the insult to my intelligence. And it doesn't help when the sex scenes indulge in ostensibly-more-titillating taboos like wincest, lolrape, and WHORES! whores! whores! lesbowhores! Those scenes may be relevant and necessary but to my prejudiced and highly-subjective subconscious it is simply more cheap, tawdry bullshit attempting to cover for shitty writing/acting.

Irrational? Quite possibly. But it's still how I feel. Doesn't stop me from watching, but I do find myself waiting, bored, for most of the sex scenes to end.

That sums up a lot for me. I still love the show, but it often feels tacked on. My wife stopped watching True Blood after a ridiculously grotesque Bill sex scene..luckily nothing in GoT has come close to that so she still watches hiding in the Kitchen.

southwick on
This discussion has been closed.