As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Thread || Go to the new Halo 4 Thread, this one is done

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Good games. Turns out that not playing for almost a month does in fact rust you up a bit.

If that was you playing rusty I don't wanna be around for you playing well.

Fyre's head is already three times the normal limits........

also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTz9MIRTDA

joshgotro on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So, I was thinking about AAs and how to effectively balance them for Halo 4.

Imagine how much better reach would be if plasma pistol or gernade launcher EMP disabled AA? Jetpacking above everyone? Bam, plasma pistol and you fall to your death. Some guy armor locking after you owned him in a fight? Bam plasma pistol and now hes a sitting duck.

Also, Halo 4 should take some ideas from ME and add "weight" to weapons that impacts how long your AA can be active. So someone with a sniper wouldnt be able to stay cloaked as much as someone with a AR. Basically someone who is constantly using their AA might actually be better off using the AR and magnum as opposed to DMR, shotty, sword or whatever. And it would help fix the fact some AAs are OP with certain weapons.

(Cloak sniper, sprint sword, jetpack rockets).

616610-1.png
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So, I was thinking about AAs and how to effectively balance them for Halo 4.

Imagine how much better reach would be if plasma pistol or gernade launcher EMP disabled AA? Jetpacking above everyone? Bam, plasma pistol and you fall to your death. Some guy armor locking after you owned him in a fight? Bam plasma pistol and now hes a sitting duck.

Also, Halo 4 should take some ideas from ME and add "weight" to weapons that impacts how long your AA can be active. So someone with a sniper wouldnt be able to stay cloaked as much as someone with a AR. Basically someone who is constantly using their AA might actually be better off using the AR and magnum as opposed to DMR, shotty, sword or whatever. And it would help fix the fact some AAs are OP with certain weapons.

(Cloak sniper, sprint sword, jetpack rockets).

I like the emp stopping AAs momentarily since everyone always has sprint

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Why the Plasma Pistol doesn't already do that is baffling. To balance it against noob-combo/happy meal user, make the charge shot prevent weapon swap for x seconds.

I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I wish the Plasma pistol would stop the guns on warthogs. I managed to disable an oncoming warthog in a BTB match last night only to get annihilated by the gunner shortly after.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Why the Plasma Pistol doesn't already do that is baffling. To balance it against noob-combo/happy meal user, make the charge shot prevent weapon swap for x seconds.
    This was my balancing idea for Armor Lock for a long time to placate the guys who thought it needed a debuff. No idea why I didn't think of extending it to all AAs, but that's really smart. Just have a charge shot deplete half of the meter. Bam. That's brilliant.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sidenote: Bungie accidentally had a bunch of people get their nameplates reverted to what they were last July. So they've brought back the nameplate settings page if you want to set your (frozen) service record to a different nameplate.

Do note that this will not update your nameplate in game, it's solely for Bungie.net

• Options
    Plasma Repeater needs some buff too. Without slowdown of CE, and with the reduced homing of the Pistol, they both seem...rather useless. Energy weapons depleting your AA meter would work pretty well. Its not exactly slowdown, but it will sure reduce your sprinting ability. Plus itd be fun to see Jetpack Repeater duals where each guy tries to cause the other to crash. Armor Lock would have a counter so its less annoying. Wouldnt really impact cloak or holo too much though, but those are not exactly gamebreaking (though cloaked snipers are the worst human beings)

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    That's actually a pretty cool idea

and I have to say I'm glad they decided on making sprint separate from the other abilities, might result in me using some of the other AAs because in reach it felt like sprint was easily the most useful in the most situations

• Options
    also don't know if anyones already seen this but I found the new gameinformer video pretty interesting

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/04/16/the-changes-to-halo-39-s-competitive-multiplayer.aspx

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I'm willing to give a new team a shot at the Halo series but man, unlocks? I'm staying away.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Bungie halo or bust.

Where is the new one(not halo) at?

• Options
    The only faith I have is that perhaps they will recognize the core "competitive" player base they have and include a ranked playlist structure similar to 2 and 3 with more classic rules. Perhaps even without Armor Abilities. You'd end up having a game like Super Smash Brothers, where there is all these fun options, some of them default to standard play, but competitive play is done without. And youd have a system supporting that competitive play.

It could work. And there is enough outcry from the competitive players that it would be well worth their effort to officially support that demand. Its one thing to say "hey but you guys can turn off all this stuff" and another to actually fully support a classic, competitive group of playlists. Its the only hope I have for Halo 4.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    Podcast is up with some interesting multiplayer details.

http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/Podcast/343Sparkast_012.mp3

Best detail in the podcast is that getting shot while sprinting has a slowdown effect. Should help nerf running away and have a big impact on folks who try to run up and double punch.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    The random weapon spawn system sounds pretty interesting, certainly going to have a big impact on the game

and I don't think the custom loadout concept sounds that bad really

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Doesn't that put it right in BlOps 2's release window?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Best detail in the podcast is that getting shot while sprinting has a slowdown effect. Should help nerf running away and have a big impact on folks who try to run up and double punch.
    That is the best thing.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Me and my buddy were messing around on reach yesterday with him as my guest, we decided to start spamming holograms. Man it makes the game so fun. We were getting a little frustrated cause we had some bad rounds where we got owned by armor lock and felt silly. Holograms...you cant be mad while using them, its too much fun.

I can only imagine the hilariousness of a team of 4 all using holograms.

We could hear the other team raging about it too, which made it all the more sweet.

"I've never fucking lost to a team that uses decoy before." was my favorite quote. The best part is, after a few matches, the opponents start switching to holograms as well. I feel like they become convinced holograms is some new fad.

No, it isnt. Its just fun.

PS: maximumzero, feel free to just join in my party if im ever on. If i have a guest I probably wont be using a mic since we will be annoying hearing one side of silly chatter. I usually dont seek out parties due to that reason if i have a guest, but your more then welcome.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options

This already happens in Reach. Or am I the only person that gets stunlocked when someone starts firing on me?

What they really need to do is make you walk slower when you walk backwards.

• Options
    Me and my buddy were messing around on reach yesterday with him as my guest, we decided to start spamming holograms. Man it makes the game so fun. We were getting a little frustrated cause we had some bad rounds where we got owned by armor lock and felt silly. Holograms...you cant be mad while using them, its too much fun.

We could hear the other team raging about it too, which made it all the more sweet.

"I've never fucking lost to a team that uses decoy before." was my favorite quote. The best part is, after a few matches, the opponents start switching to holograms as well. I feel like they become convinced holograms is some new fad.

PS: maximumzero, feel free to just join in my party if im ever on. If i have a guest I probably wont be using a mic since we will be annoying hearing one side of silly chatter. I usually dont seek out parties due to that reason if i have a guest, but your more then welcome.

Do you know if I have you on my XBL friends list? What's your Gamertag?

That being said, a cousin of mine and I play Big Team Battle every night these days it seems.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Im backwardsboxers, you messaged me last night :)

This already happens in Reach. Or am I the only person that gets stunlocked when someone starts firing on me?

What they really need to do is make you walk slower when you walk backwards.

I dont think this occurs in reach, at least not to any signifigant amount. I think backwards walking is just as fast as forwards, so unless you have sprint you cant really close the gap.

I strong disagree with the backwards walking thing. Right now its way too easy to just run up and double punch someone. Slower backwards walking would only make that worse. However, if they implemented the slowdown on being shot, I wouldnt mind a slower backwards speed.

Basically, backwards walking compared to normal walking is too fast. But compared to sprint its too slow.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Im backwardsboxers, you messaged me last night :)

Sorry, I'm not good at connecting forumers with gamertags in my head.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Well i decided to grab the anniversary mappack and I'm really enjoying it

really hope Halo 4 has good launch maps because I never found most of the default reach ones that great

• Options
    Yeah the forge ones all seemed... built in forge. Uncaged was the only forge map that seemed unique. Pinacle was ok but it was just acension. But the none forge world maps were pretty decent. Nothing special or memorable though. Aside from maybe swordbase, but thats probably just because folks play it all the time.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    i9pwmvn3UzIWe.jpg

Halo 4 Grunt

cortana from the back (too big to embed)

http://www.abload.de/img/halo4_360_editeur_017idj9t.jpg

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Poor Grunts. Figured after Halo 3 they'd just get to go back to chillin in their methane swamps.

All of these Halo 4 screens look so good. Almost too good... like they're bullshots or something. But I want to believe.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I do not like the Halo 4 grunt.

Grunts have pig noses and no mouth.

That thing has teeth and I am not a fan.

Actually not a fan of Cortana either. While the designs are kind of neat, she's a hologram. She should be translucent. Because she's totally opaque, she looks like a tattooed up lady standing in front of him.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Grunts have mouths...

Unless you mean you're used to the full breathing masks?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So has anyone gotten the "Sneakernet Avatars" feature to work? I snapped a picture of my screen at home to ease in the inputting of the code, but after about a dozen tries, the 360-spin video still comes up blank.

Plus I'd love a high-res image of my player model. Are there any known issues with this feature I can try troubleshooting?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Updating my player model worked fine, but I had to switch browsers to get the video to work.

While I don't like what I've heard of multi, the campaign looks neat. Not sure if I like the art direction, but I appreciate the ambition.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Grunts have mouths...

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm just so used to that being their whole "thing" I never imagined sharp pointy teeth under there...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular

Statue of Liberty play is best play.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Grunts have mouths...

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm just so used to that being their whole "thing" I never imagined sharp pointy teeth under there...

The shape of their helmets plus the exposed teeth makes them look like little street sharks

I suppose I don't hate it. The little nose tube is kinda cute. I haven't been keeping up to date on Halo 4 news, though; is The Covenant still the main enemy?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Grunt's faces were revealed (I think, it all kind of blurs together at this point) in the Halo 2 days, and I remember everyone going "Oh what the fuck." at how scary they are.

I haven't been keeping up to date on Halo 4 news, though; is The Covenant still the main enemy?

Not exactly. The group in these screens just happened across the Chief's end of Forward Unto Dawn; there is a new enemy that is yet to be shown, on the planet from the LE end of Halo 3.

jerichotwofour on
    PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • Options
    The Grunt's faces were revealed (I think, it all kind of blurs together at this point) in the Halo 2 days, and I remember everyone going "Oh what the fuck." at how scary they are.
    I haven't been keeping up to date on Halo 4 news, though; is The Covenant still the main enemy?

Not exactly. The group in these screens just happened across the Chief's end of Forward Unto Dawn; there is a new enemy that is yet to be shown, on the planet from the LE end of Halo 3.

Was it Halo 2 or 3? I remember being able to shoot the masks off their faces in 3. Bleh! Ugly little fuckers...

Of course, one of the best things in gaming will always be shooting one in the methane tank. Well, that and "Grunt Birthday Party" or whatever its called.

• Options
    here's a picture of a halo 4 grunt with a full mask as well

s1600

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Man I always use holograms. So many strategies. Especially if most of your team is using them.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yar wrote: »
    Man I always use holograms. So many strategies. Especially if most of your team is using them.

One of the best AAs in the game. Also the root of executing the Statue of Liberty play.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »

One of the best AAs in the game. Also the root of executing the Statue of Liberty play.

I'm always in Statue of Liberty plays. See also, PAX LAN sneak out with camo and flag.

I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman