As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nada

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum

NightDragon on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've got asthma, but I just want to say that I'm not a doctor, and you're HEAVILY in "GO SEE A DOCTOR" territory.

Since you've apparently never talked to a doctor about it, I'll just give you a quick run-down.

Primarily, there are two types of asthma medication:
    There's the rescue, for when asthma suddenly happens, like when you're exercising or if you're allergic to something and it blows across your nose. Taking a rescue inhaler gives you immediate relief, but does nothing in the long term. You have some experience with the rescue inhalers when you were younger.
    Then there's the control medication, which you take less frequently to keep your asthma controlled. Taking any of these medications during an asthma attack are worthless, as they take a lot more time to kick in.

The powdery drug you're talking about is, I think, called Advair, and it's a control drug. I take it. You need a prescription for it, and need to see your doctor regularly because IT CAN KILL YOU if you don't keep your asthma under control.

That's about as far as I'm going to go, as you really need to see a doctor. All medications do different things to different people, and any side effects I might have will probably not be like any you would encounter, if this is the drug you're talking about.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How do you know you have asthma if you have never had an asthma attack?

I only ask because generally a proper diagnosis will be accompanied with general advice for dealing with your asthma and a prescription for an inhaler.

Your general symptoms are possibly just consistent with shying away from regular and intense cardio exercise.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talk to a doctor.

The physical form of the drug (powder vs. whatever) has nothing to do with the side effects. There are a number of asthma drugs out there including ones that have come to market in the past couple of years. If you are willing to try a few out, it is likely that you can find a medication that treats your asthma symptoms without giving you the side effects that you remember from the medication you tried as a kid.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some years ago, I stopped using the inhaler due to the side effects, I cannot commend about the powdered medication.

My wife and I have been able to manage asthma by using food as medicine, we basically consume two cups of coffee everyday, Camomile tea and vitamin C (no more than 500 mg daily).

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Caffeine can help very very mild asthma. You might want to ask your doctor about that.

Terra on
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have the misfortune of having asthma that is moderately severe. I've been hospitalized a few times and can say that the control medicines of the past five to ten years are wonderful. They have helped me go from using an inhaler at least twice daily to using it less than twice per week. However, like was said earlier, they aren't something you use without frequent visits to your doctor. Most of them combine a long lasting beta antagonist with an inhaled steroid to reduce irritation of the lungs. There are side effects, but to anyone who really needs to use them they are acceptable when compared against not being able to breathe. For me these side effects tend to be respiratory, ear, and sinus infections a few times a year. So in short, there are some great meds out there but the best answers you will get, and the only you should really listen to, will come from your doctor.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wiley wrote: »
    I have the misfortune of having asthma that is moderately severe. I've been hospitalized a few times and can say that the control medicines of the past five to ten years are wonderful. They have helped me go from using an inhaler at least twice daily to using it less than twice per week. However, like was said earlier, they aren't something you use without frequent visits to your doctor. Most of them combine a long lasting beta antagonist with an inhaled steroid to reduce irritation of the lungs. There are side effects, but to anyone who really needs to use them they are acceptable when compared against not being able to breathe. For me these side effects tend to be respiratory, ear, and sinus infections a few times a year. So in short, there are some great meds out there but the best answers you will get, and the only you should really listen to, will come from your doctor.

Might I ask what you use? I have reasonably bad asthma, but despite asking various doctors, I am still largely using the same regime of a controller (Flixotide) twice a day, then a reliever, Ventolin, 5-6 times a week as needed, that I have been for about 7 years. Then prior to that, similar regime but different medication

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IsoIso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Asthma therapy is basically a ladder where you take a step up or down depending on how well it's controlled, and one way of quantifying how bad your asthma is is the number of times you reach for your ventolin. If you have to use your puffer more often than is expected, the doctor will step up your therapy, and the steps are as follows:
    1. No additional therapy, just ventolin as needed
    2. Inhaled steroids (not many doctors use this now, most just go to step 3)
    3. Inhaled steroids + beta agonist (basically steroids + a longer acting ventolin). Two common combinations are Seretide and Flixotide
    4. Increased doses of step 3
    5. Oral steroids

The rationale for the above ladder is roughly as follows: steroids have been found to be the most important thing in controlling asthma, because they act on the asthma pathway in a few different ways. Beta agonists on the other hand, are more mechanical: they only open up your airways without helping control the inflammation or the allergic reaction. This is why steroids are the first step up from just occasonal Ventolin use.

Iso on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I apologize if my question upset you; I didn't mean anything by it.

I would definitely recommend working with an experienced doctor to possibly add the preventative powder inhaler or something similar.

I also recommend making strenuous daily exercise a consistent part of your life. Push yourself until it hurts, then slow down until the burning starts to subside, but make sure you challenge yourself with consistent workouts.

I have a pretty debilitatingly severe case of exercise-induced asthma, and oddly enough the only thing that helps at all is lots of painful burning exercise almost every day.

If I'm consistent and if I push myself, I can get into good enough shape that my lungs more or less overpower the asthma and then I kind of almost have a normal set of lungs, but even just a few days of laziness can practically cripple me again.

Granted, I have no idea if my particular case is at all typical. That in mind...

Be careful and work with a doctor to make sure you don't hurt yourself if you decide to prioritize rigorous daily exercise.

kedinik on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have pretty moderate asthma, and the modern control medications are indeed wonderful. I take Claritin daily (I've been prescribed Clarinex, but thats just the OTC version of clarinex and my doctor is OK with that), as well as a daily puff of Advair (powdery substance). Since I started the Advair, I've rarely needed my Ventolin.

I'd definitely go talk to your doctor about it.

Tejs on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As everyone has said, and as you know, you will need to consult with a doctor about any treatment. I have pretty severe asthma myself and have tried a variety of medications to get it under control. I also hated the shakey feeling when exercising. One thing that somewhat reduced it for me was, based on my doctor's recommendation, using my rescue inhaler before exercising. It did help open my lungs ahead of time and I didn't have to worry so much about being shakey with a fast heartbeat and then accelerating all that with the inhaler.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    ATIRageATIRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have exercised induced asthma as well. After I exercised more frequently I noticed that my asthma symptoms were lessened, but this is not usual for most asthma sufferers. Talk to your doctor about advair (i think thats the name, maybe adavent) which is a pill that is crushed by this circular disk thing, and then you inhale. Its supposed to make asthma easy to manage, but I believe it might be for more severe cases of asthma.

I feel you on ibuterol inhalers. The after effects suck and make it hard to focus your mind.

ATIRage on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I will say ATI, for whatever it's anecdotally worth, that I'm friends with lots of athletes who became more serious about exercise partly because they discovered how well it controlled their severe exercise induced asthma.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Step one (as has been said and you are already doing) get on board with a doctor and discuss this.

Albuterol primarily is the only thing needed for exercise-induced asthma for most people, 1-2 puffs 15-30 minutes before exercise. (It's a beta agonist by the way, not a beta antagonist aka beta blocker... you don't want that if you have asthma) Your lungs have one type of beta receptor and your heart has a different type. Albuterol doesn't distinguish from the two so that's why you get the increased heart rate along with bronchial relaxation.

I would not start with a long-acting beta agonist/steroid combo at first like Advair, you should probably start with a low dose inhaled steroid like flovent or pulmicort. Flovent is more like a normal inhaler where it's aerosolized and Pulmicort is the dry powder. Someone mentioned allergy medicine and that was great advice. Asthma is an inflammatory disease and the more you can do to limit your exposure to allergens the better.

I'm not a doctor but I am a 3rd year pharmacy student so if you have any questions send me a PM.

Raif Severance on