As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chicken and asparagus [chat]

1555657585961»

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    I stopped playing Magic when I realized that the game quickly become who could buy the best cards.

everyone buys the best cards

then opens them

then picks one and passes the rest to the left

for ten dollars a game

all i'm saying, if chess cost ten dollars a game, who would play chess

You can get a good set of games out of that. Certainly an evening's entertainment, if not more, for less than the cost of a night at the movies.

Then you can sell stuff and actually get money back

Or build it into a casual deck for funsies

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

They probably don't have as many Grognards in MtG, as opposed to D&D, I'd wager.

Grognard refers to somebody who is super into simulationist wargames. I see it bandied about when people talk about old editions of D&D, as some kind of joke about how "edition X " was too complicated. I think you mean powergamer or munchkin?

N-...no? I've always understood Grognard to refer to someone who's "old guard." In the sense that, they think the older version(s) are always better than the new(er) version(s). Like all the people who hate 4e because 3.X was so much better. Or the Essentials Haters who call it "4.5" (or, similarly, the people who accused the Revised AD&D 2nd edition game of being "2.5").

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how's it going [chat]?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grognard? Munchkin? Dis some hardcore jargon

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I stopped playing Magic when I realized that the game quickly become who could buy the best cards.

everyone buys the best cards

then opens them

then picks one and passes the rest to the left

for ten dollars a game

all i'm saying, if chess cost ten dollars a game, who would play chess

You can get a good set of games out of that. Certainly an evening's entertainment, if not more, for less than the cost of a night at the movies.

Then you can sell stuff and actually get money back

Or build it into a casual deck for funsies

I know, I know.

But when I draft Magic I get way too addicted to it and want to play it again and again and again and I can't if it's ten dollars a game.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

They probably don't have as many Grognards in MtG, as opposed to D&D, I'd wager.

Grognard refers to somebody who is super into simulationist wargames. I see it bandied about when people talk about old editions of D&D, as some kind of joke about how "edition X " was too complicated. I think you mean powergamer or munchkin?

or possibly something else entirely.

grognard is not the word you are looking for

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

N-...no? I've always understood Grognard to refer to someone who's "old guard." In the sense that, they think the older version(s) are always better than the new(er) version(s). Like all the people who hate 4e because 3.X was so much better. Or the Essentials Haters who call it "4.5" (or, similarly, the people who accused the Revised AD&D 2nd edition game of being "2.5").

I have never heard it used like that.

Hell, grognard.com is a website for people who play simulationist wargames. It's only once in the CF D&D thread that I saw grognard used to refer to people who preferred 3.5e, and then it was pretty clear that it was a rib based on 3.5e being too complicated and trying to simulate combat too much.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Like people who play Advanced Squad Leader, those are grognards. And it's not an insult, it's just a label.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munchkin what now? I wanna play more Munchkin...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more I look at the application guidelines for this Princeton PostDoc, the more i really want to apply and get it.

A bit worried about japan managing get to a visa, though. However, the position does come with a $5K research budget, so I guess if I got it I could use that to flyback to the uk for conferences and stuff.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grognard
    1. An old soldier.
    2. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing board wargames, particularly the counter-heavy strategy board wargames from the 1970s and 1980s.
    3. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing previous editions of roleplaying games when new editions of the game are available.

The usage I've picked up is probably an evolved terminology. Back when D&D first game out, a grognard would have been someone who preferred the other, more standard issue wargames (aka- the old stuff). As newer editions came out, the original meaning may have been obscured, and "grognard" became anyone who derised a modern edition/game in preference of an older one.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grognard
    1. An old soldier.
    2. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing board wargames, particularly the counter-heavy strategy board wargames from the 1970s and 1980s.
    3. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing previous editions of roleplaying games when new editions of the game are available.

As I said, never come across meaning 2 there until you said it.

Anyhow, my iPod has finally charged, so I'm off for a run.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    les Grognards is of course the nickname given to soldiers of Napoleon's Vieille Garde.

So I guess you could technically use it in the same sense as "old guard"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Elldren, make the new chat.

Crimson King is backup.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.