As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help renaming files in bulk based on metadata (Word docs)

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all.

Long story short, I had to do a raw data recovery of a hard drive. I was able to recover about 4,500 or so Word Documents, but they don't have any of their file structure data attached to them.

I've gotten lucky in that for the old word docs, the "Title" metadata is present. I don't know what kind of metadata it is, though, as it is obviously not IDv3 or something music-related.

I've been scouring the internet looking for a way to rename the files in bulk. I want to get them into a format of <title> - <Author> - <Last Saved>, but I'm not married to that level of automation. I just want something at this point.

Everything i've found either doesn't use the metadata I've found or it is a trial program and only allows a small number of renames. Others our firewall has identified as being a virus.

I'm basically at a loss here. If anyone can help it would be extremely appreciated.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
Athenor on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Like if you right click the file and go to properties it shows Title: XYZ Document ?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You could write a vbscript that iterates over all the files and grabs the wdPropertyTitle, wdPropertyAuthor, etc. using the BuiltInDocumentProperties method. I don't know if there is a script written out there that does exactly what you need but that is the line I would pursue. Can you write scripts or have someone that can? It's not too big a deal if you do.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I was going to write one in C# for him if this was the case.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We have a scripting guy here, but he's pretty much backlogged. This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for too.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you've got some time I can see if I can't whip up something today.

bowen on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    If you've got some time I can see if I can't whip up something today.

Sure, just tell me what you need.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What version of MSWord and is there anyway you can give me 1 or 2 (get rid of any information in them) so I can test it?

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    What version of MSWord and is there anyway you can give me 1 or 2 (get rid of any information in them) so I can test it?

It's a 97-2003 file. And i think I can.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Check your email Athenor.

bowen on