As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a suit for a wedding

suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm attending a wedding on Saturday. I wasn't originally going to be in the wedding party but apparently now I am. I was just going to wear something I have but I need a pure black suit for pictures which I don't have.

How can I get a suit by Friday? Should I rent or buy? Do I even have time for them to alter it? Do they even alter suits when you rent them or do you just find something that fits? I have never bought a suit before so I'm kinda lost here.

suicidexcuse on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Buy, don't rent. Go today to the nearest Macy's, Brooks Brothers, Today's Man, or whatever is in your budget. Most stores have tailors on site or can make a recommendation. Explain the situation and get it rushed for friday night pick up.

gogogo

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also see if there's a Men's Warehouse in your area. The have some nicely priced suits and can do tailoring, possibly rush jobs, too.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Men's Wearhouse isn't going to be affordable and quick. If you have a local alterationist/tailor, I'd pick up a suit from Macy's, then get the local tailor to do the alterations. You can probably get by for under $200. Every man needs a black suit anyway.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does it absolutely have to be a black suit? Cuz if you're only going to have one suit, it should really be charcoal grey.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Men's wearhouse is 'spensive? Hmmm. I don't shop there but I thought they were more "budget oriented".

Every man needs a black suit anyway.

^This demands lime.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    cfsbrawlcfsbrawl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you can find a tailor who can meet the deadline I would recommend at least passing through a store like Marshall's. I have twice found Calvin Klein suits for under $50 there, just be sure to give them a once over in the store because some may have imperfections.

cfsbrawl on
  • Options
    suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually in Calgary, Canada. So Macy's, Men's Warehouse and Marshalls we don't have. Oh I'll just look at Moores, I think its affiliated with Men's warehouse.

Why is renting so bad? I know it'll cost me $100 to rent and $150 and up to buy but I'm currently losing lots of weight. So wouldn't it better to rent in case it doesn't fit me anymore in 6 months.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Men's wearhouse is 'spensive? Hmmm. I don't shop there but I thought they were more "budget oriented".

^This demands lime.

They're like... the budget oriented expensive suit, or the overpriced cheap suit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

^This demands lime.

They're like... the budget oriented expensive suit, or the overpriced cheap suit.

Yeah. Places like brooks brothers or joseph a. bank have sample sales all the time, or you can get a foreign suitmaker. far better value.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is renting a suit even a "thing"? You can rent a Tux, and generally it makes more sense to do so, but a suit?
    I don't think that is a thing that grown ups do.

You can always get your suit altered if you gain/lose weight. A good tailor can make it fit perfectly.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In a situation like this, you can go with what is called suit separates, generally available at most department stores. They aren't nearly as good as a fitted suit, but you should be able to get something for liess than $150. They basically go by your waist and inseam in the pants (just like jeans) and then find the right size jacket for you by trying it on. No alterations needed.

I'm aware they don't look as good, but given his budget and the nearness of the date, suit separates are your best option.

EDIT: Get a charcoal grey or light black pinstripe suit separate if you can. Makes people notice the stripes more than they notice that its not cut perfectly. I have great tailored suits, but I had a medium gray pinstripe suit separate I bought during a situation where I was far from home but needed a suit in a hurry and I get more people commenting on how much they love that than the $800 suits I usually wear.

badpoet on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My advice is to basically never go to places like Men's Warehouse or Jos A. Bank. Their suits are, in my experience, based off of some absolutely massive template, that no amount of tailoring in the world can fix. Now I'm a tall skinny guy, so my experiences may be different from most, but the suits I've gotten from those places are just awful, cheap, but awful. Not to mention that their salesmen don't give a crap at all about getting you into a suit that fits, just about selling you something, anything.

However, I've found though there are certain suits that I can buy off the rack which fit me perfectly without needing any tailoring though such as Hilfiger Slim Cut from Macys. If you don't have a Macys near you, I recommend going to any similar upscale department store and checking out the different collections and trying them on just to see if any are good fits for your body as they are. The closer they are when off the rack, the better they'll look when they are are tailored.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually in Calgary, Canada. So Macy's, Men's Warehouse and Marshalls we don't have. Oh I'll just look at Moores, I think its affiliated with Men's warehouse.

Why is renting so bad? I know it'll cost me $100 to rent and $150 and up to buy but I'm currently losing lots of weight. So wouldn't it better to rent in case it doesn't fit me anymore in 6 months.

OK I'm in Edmonton

Renting suits is renting a suit 40 guys before you all with different body shapes have had on before.

Go to Moores or The Bay. DNKY, Sand and CK are all good brands and a little tailoring will go a LONG way.

DO NOT GO TO DERKS, Rip off merchants mate.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Moores is having a two for one sale at the moment. So do make a point of going there.

Grid System on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to a wedding in a couple of weeks but I'm not in the party, so I pretty much just need "a suit" I figure. What would be appropriate for a wedding?

I have some suits already, and I'll look at them, but I haven't worn them in a few years so I'm not sure what's good.

Could I even get away with just a button-up shirt and some khakis?

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to a wedding in a couple of weeks but I'm not in the party, so I pretty much just need "a suit" I figure. What would be appropriate for a wedding?

Evening wedding = Dark suit.

I have some suits already, and I'll look at them, but I haven't worn them in a few years so I'm not sure what's good.

Try them on. Look in a mirror. Ask someone. How do they fit? Since it's been a few years, you'll probably have to take them to the cleaners/tailor to get one re-fitted. This isn't expensive and is totally worth it.

If you're an adult, no. If you're a younger teenage cousin, sure why not?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Another Canadian Store is Tip Top Tailors.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm attending a wedding on Saturday. I wasn't originally going to be in the wedding party but apparently now I am. I was just going to wear something I have but I need a pure black suit for pictures which I don't have.

How can I get a suit by Friday? Should I rent or buy? Do I even have time for them to alter it? Do they even alter suits when you rent them or do you just find something that fits? I have never bought a suit before so I'm kinda lost here.

Are you sure about what you're expected to wear? Usually the wedding party is in entirely matching attire. Just a "black suit?"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Personally I would contact the groom as ask what is up.

Typically the bridal parties' clothes are covered by the newlyweds.

This is mainly so they can force all the bridesmaids into some horrid pink colour, so that in comparison, the bride looks great.

Suits are often more expensive so they are usually rented as they don't want to spend that mch but some people are generous.

Blake T on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Evening wedding = Dark suit.

Try them on. Look in a mirror. Ask someone. How do they fit? Since it's been a few years, you'll probably have to take them to the cleaners/tailor to get one re-fitted. This isn't expensive and is totally worth it.

If you're an adult, no. If you're a younger teenage cousin, sure why not?

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I've lost weight since I got them so they'll probably be a little big. Also I got them for job interviews so they'll probably won't look right.

Good excuse to get a proper suit, I guess.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For a nice suit at a budget and at a rush, I suggest shopping suit separates. That means you buy a jacket that fits, and slacks from the same line that are already hemmed.

I like the Alfani Red line for this, at Macy's. Should be less than $200.

illig on
  • Options
    CreidhesCreidhes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Are you sure about what you're expected to wear? Usually the wedding party is in entirely matching attire. Just a "black suit?"

Extra points to this post. The men are never in just a "black suit". The men will be in a specific style of "black suit" (coat length, lapels, vests/cumberbunds, etc. are all variable) and will probably haven gotten their suits from the same place.

Ask the other grooms where they got theirs.

Creidhes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

This is mainly so they can force all the bridesmaids into some horrid pink colour, so that in comparison, the bride looks great.

Suits are often more expensive so they are usually rented as they don't want to spend that mch but some people are generous.

I've never heard of the couple paying for any of those things. I've been in a few wedding parties and only once did someone pay for my clothes (For my sister's wedding, my folks picked up the tab for me, because I was too slow)

If it's black suits instead of tuxes, it's common for the bride and groom to buy matching ties for the bridal party, but paying for everyone's clothes is pretty fuckspensive.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I've never heard of the couple paying for any of those things. I've been in a few wedding parties and only once did someone pay for my clothes (For my sister's wedding, my folks picked up the tab for me, because I was too slow)

If it's black suits instead of tuxes, it's common for the bride and groom to buy matching ties for the bridal party, but paying for everyone's clothes is pretty fuckspensive.

It depends. We paid for the rentals for my groomsmen and for the bridesmaid dresses. It's kind of a dick move to ask someone to be in your wedding (which is a pretty serious commitment) and then make them drop 2 bills on clothing.

Whacktose on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Whacktose wrote: »

It depends. We paid for the rentals for my groomsmen and for the bridesmaid dresses. It's kind of a dick move to ask someone to be in your wedding (which is a pretty serious commitment) and then make them drop 2 bills on clothing.

No it's not. If you're asked to be in someone's wedding party, you're typically extremely close with them and don't mind spending a bit of money to support them. You might have felt bad and paid, but it's not common.

Figgy on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Creidhes wrote: »

Extra points to this post. The men are never in just a "black suit". The men will be in a specific style of "black suit" (coat length, lapels, vests/cumberbunds, etc. are all variable) and will probably haven gotten their suits from the same place.

Ask the other grooms where they got theirs.

I've been in a wedding where any black suit was the only request, and I'm in another one with the same rule in September. It happens.

You need a phonebook. Look for men's clothing stores. Local shops are more likely to have on-site tailors than chains in my experience. Start calling local shops and telling them what you needs. I doubt you'll need to make more than 3 calls.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

No it's not. If you're asked to be in someone's wedding party, you're typically extremely close with them and don't mind spending a bit of money to support them. You might have felt bad and paid, but it's not common.

I just checked this out on the Knot.com. I wanted to know if all the people in my circle are just cheap assholes. Apparently the etiquette is:

US/Canada, bridal party pays for themselves. The bride/groom get them a gift.

UK, Bride/Groom often pay. Gift is optional.

So sayeth the bridezillas on the knot.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I just checked this out on the Knot.com. I wanted to know if all the people in my circle are just cheap assholes. Apparently the etiquette is:

US/Canada, bridal party pays for themselves. The bride/groom get them a gift.

UK, Bride/Groom often pay. Gift is optional.

So sayeth the bridezillas on the knot.

Can't speak to how it is in the UK, but yes the gift part is common as well. Also, sometimes the bridal party will treat them buying their own clothes as their gift to the bride/groom for the wedding.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Colin4MayColin4May Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any quality black suity should do... but not a tuxedo.. just too damn suave! My mate got married in a Primark suit. He later puked up on it, and it was dry-cleaned and came up a treat!! Lol!

Colin4May on