As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media: Wubwubwubwubwubwub

SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to the Whiskey Media thread!

Here's the link for the BIG LIVE LIVE SHOW LIVE, now live!
http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

avatar-giant-bomb-75.jpgavatar-screened-75.jpgavatar-tested-75.jpgavatar-comic-vine-75.jpgavatar-anime-vice-75.jpg

So what's this about, then?
This is a nice little introduction video, but put simply, whiskey media is a growing collection of websites that currently include:

Giant Bomb: Games
Screened: Movies and TV
Tested: Technology
Comic Vine: Comics
Anime Vice: Anime and Manga

One of the big differences between these websites and other News/Review sites is that they're largely personality driven. Each branch of the Whiskey Media family has some insightful, clever and often hilarious people attached (barring anime vice), whose voices are hard to miss in the heaps of content that is added daily.

These include (Giant Bomb) Jeff Gersmann, Ryan Davies, Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, (Screened) Alex Navarro, Matthew Rorie, (Tested) Will Smith but not THAT Will Smith, Norman Chan, (Comic Vine) Tony Guererro, and Sara Lima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5S-E1pL8s

While all these websites are worth a look, one of them in particular is usually considered the main attraction, and that website is Giant Bomb.
Giant Bomb? Sounds familiar...

That's because the entire reason Giant bomb exists is the "Gerstmanngate Scandal" created rather a quite a kerfuffle in certain parts of the internet.

If you're not familiar, this was when Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot for giving a rather scathing review to Kane and Lynch, a game which was being heavily advertised on the site at the time. Ryan, Vinny, Brad and Alex quit around the same time as a result of this, and they ended up banding together to create their own gaming website, and Giant bomb is the end result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhHCOQntZg

So what makes Giant Bomb so special?

Several things! They make one of the most popular gaming podcasts out there, the Giant Bombcast. it's popular for a reason. There's literally hundreds of hours of high quality, funny, honest and informative banter between these guys up for download. Not counting special events (The E3 just passed has given us 4 podcasts totalling OVER 15 HOURS with tons of special guests from the gaming industry), there's a new podcast added every Tuesday, and they're a great source of news, entertainment, and thoughts on the most recent releases.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0
Another thing that separates this site from the rest is the Giant Bomb Quick Looks. These are basically mini Let's Play videos with 2 or more participants, in which the person playing shows a good chunk of the gameplay, unedited, and gives his thoughts and impressions on the game as he's played it so far. Not only are these Quick Looks incredibly informative, they're often hilarious, because the people talking over them are just naturally funny.

If you've got over a hundred hours to burn (I'm serious), I'd also highly recommend the Endurance Runs. Now this is more like a let's play in it's entirety, and only two games so far have been given this treatment; Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition. There really isn't much to say about these, except they're just about the highest quality you can get in let's plays, and if you have even a slight interest in either game (or not) you should check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG_8XHk5JDk
So this is free, right?

Yes, but there is a subscription based Premium Membership which includes the ability to watch all videos in HD, and download them. It also gets rid of all ads. There's even premium-exclusive content, known as the Whiskey Media Happy hour, which is a live show broadcast every Friday with segments from each of the Whiskey Media sites (again, barring Anime Vice). Calling in to ask questions or answer movie trivia is encouraged, and everyone goofs off and has a good time. If you're sceptical, one happy hour a month is available to all and they're all archived to watch whenever you want. Recently, Dave Snider has been holding a radio call-in show after Happy Hour has ended, in which he answers questions and the websites' design and generally anything, offers advice, and basically shows himself to be one of the coolest and nicest guys imaginable. Unfortunately these aren't being archived as of now, but it's likely they will be at a later date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEg6mfTfF4&feature=channel_video_title

As a subscriber I highly, highly recommend doing so yourself. They obviously deeply care about providing quality content, especially to those who are paying for it, and they're worth every penny.

Now, discuss any and all whiskey media related content here!

Somestickguy on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Boy, I didn't expect that to take nearly 2 hours. And such a mess...

Well I'm sure it'll take shape over the myriad edits I'm sure to provide. Any clever title suggestions?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Amazing OP

And I love Giant Bombcast so much

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am a yearly subscriber. I also liked this before it was cool.

I also have Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition signed by the Giant Bomb crew.

plus I had Jeff sign my Star Trek Technical Manual just for kicks.

fanbooooyyyyy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Giant Bomb rules

them riffing on DNF on the podcast this week was fuckin hilarious

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fun fact: I hated all internet videos before Giant Bomb came along.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh my god that power video is fucking fantastic

Also I need to listen to this week's podcast. Missed a few weeks worth but was able to catch all the E3 stuff live which was fantastic.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shoe, you hated everything before Giant Bomb came along.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Giant Bombcast is a Good Podcast

Because I need those.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which one of the Deadly Premonition endurance runs is the best to watch? They're probably both good, but I don't have time enough for that.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man I want another endurance run

Deadly premonition was so freaking hilarious

Oghulk on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Which one of the Deadly Premonition endurance runs is the best to watch? They're probably both good, but I don't have time enough for that.

VJ's probably the way to go, I like both, but Vinny and Jeff have the best chemistry. (could I sound more like a douche, I wonder)

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shoe, you hated everything before Giant Bomb came along.

I like a very specific amount of things and have little tolerance for anything else

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So Giant Bombcast is a Good Podcast

Because I need those.

Yes yes yes

I also recommend the Screened and Tested podcasts. I can't do the same for the Comic Vine one because I've never listened to it, and heard it's kind of crap.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    What I've seen/heard is funny but I can't sit there and listen to 4 hours of video game talk

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Comic Vine is... eh

everything I've read from them I sort of disagree with, so, yeah

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

VJ's probably the way to go, I like both, but Vinny and Jeff have the best chemistry. (could I sound more like a douche, I wonder)

I watched the BR one and really liked it, maybe one day I'll go back and watch the other one.

Maybe that day... is today.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TWO AND A HALF HOURS IS TOO LONG FOR A PODCAST

#pipe on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I only really really dislike one person from Whiskey Media and that is Alex Navarro. He just seems like that guy who is trying way to hard to fit in with internet culture but also hates internet culture.
    Much like SE++ regulars ololz

Gerstman has grown on me and I find it enjoyable that he seems to look like a little boy who hit aged way too fast. I still hate when he does quicklooks of games he has already dismissed cause then it just makes the whole thing pointless.

Also Vinny is the best guy ever.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    What I've seen/heard is funny but I can't sit there and listen to 4 hours of video game talk

Neither can I, I stick it on whenever I'm at work/on a shopping trip/exercising.

Or when I'm playing certain games, like Mount+Blade and Borderlands.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    whenever a podcast is too long I just listen to it in sections

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

its only once a week, and there's usually a couple good stopping points, so you can listen to it over the course of a few days

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The E3 podcasts are over 4 hours each I think 8-)

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think Navarro gets way too much stick. I really like him.

I'd say my top 5 are

1: Snider
    2: Caravella
    3: Whitta (definitely my favourite part of the tested podacst)
    4: Navarro
    5: Shoemaker

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    well I mean I subscribe to like 25 podcasts so yeah more than an hour and you're taking up too much time

#pipe on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm a little curious about podcasts, as I've never really listened to them

I think I would if I had a long commute and liked music less, maybe

can someone explain them to me? it's mostly dudes talking about tech/game news to one another for an hour a week, right?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    there are podcasts for every interest under the sun

I think you would like "This American Life"

it's in my stuff white people like book so

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

can someone explain them to me? it's mostly dudes talking about tech/game news to one another for an hour a week, right?

Yeah, It's like a radio show without the whole "radio" part.

And, well, whiskey media podcasts tend to be quite a bit more than an hour.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

there are podcasts about literally every topic you can think of

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011

well these ones are like that, yes. But there are podcasts about everything.

I mostly listen to Science and Comedy ones but also This American Life and Radiolab.

I listen to them at work because I have earphones in all day and do brainless work most of the day and it's more interesting than listening to music all day.

#pipe on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love You Look Nice Today the most

it is just a funny conversation for a half hour-45 minutes

They only update every few months though, the last one was november 3rd

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

That's a hard question to answer

I can't remember which one had the hilarious part that shows what happens when you drive at night

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »

Neither can I, I stick it on whenever I'm at work/on a shopping trip/exercising.

Or when I'm playing certain games, like Mount+Blade and Borderlands.

Yeah sandbox like games are when I turn on GB podcast or on a Saturday during my relax and eat brunch morning.

I played World of Warcraft and Star Trek online sorta recently and now those games are permanently crossed with the Idle Thumbs cast for me.

I can only listen to giantbombcast too. I started out with Smodcast for my first and followed by Pick Up podcast for self-help and then settled with BG just cause it fits my appetite for not having any real voices around me to talk about video games.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

You Look Nice Today is the best

THE BEST

#pipe on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just started listening to the guys during this e3

listened to the most recent podcast today, couldn't help but laugh at every single duke nukem impression. Pretty much have to become a hardcore follower now

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I subscribe to, like, 50 different podcasts, ranging from rugby to videogames to horror films to music.

I agree that I can't listen to some podcasts for longer than an hour, hour and a half tops. Unless the conversation is particularly engaging.

Then again, I can talk about things like videogames, horror films and music for days without getting bored, so

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

this sounds like something I would be interested in

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the additions, august. if it wasn't 4:30 in the morning here I would have gone to find some of that stuff myself, but I'm finding it kind of hard to concentrate

Somestickguy on
This discussion has been closed.