As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primary 2012: An austere OP for an austere era

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are important points being made here. For instance, I'd like to hear more about how Nathan ended up covered in chocolate.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    There are important points being made here. For instance, I'd like to hear more about how Nathan ended up covered in chocolate.

Yeah, but just like all unfair punditry, the moderator wouldn't let him make his point! It's the liberal media at its worst!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/treasurer_considering_leaving_turn_right_super_pac_over_offensive_south_park-inspired_ad.php?ref=fpb
    Ehlinger said he called up a modeling agency to get the actress to play the pole dancer on behalf of the "small dinky organization" and got in touch with the rap group Splack Pack (who were "absolutely fun as hell to work with"). They filmed the ad in a day in Atlanta. He dismissed charges that the ad was racist and sexist.

"I was counting on people actually looking at the video and completely misunderstanding it. if you actually watch it carefully, you will notice lots of gangsters," Ehlinger said, pointing to the mugshots of 1920s gangsters featured in the video. "The point being, it is not the amount of melon in their skin that makes them a gang member."

The Splack Pack are featured in the ad singing a version of their original song "Shake That Ass Bitch." Ehlinger told TPM that he wanted to use the song "Let's See You Dance Sucka" featured in an episode of South Park, but learned with a bit of research that song was actually a parody of Splack Pack's tune

Wait...

So he managed to get the original rappers of that song to be in the video?

Granted, if they're like most rappers, they're probably desperate for work, but...

o_O

So wait... we were ALL correct in the previous thread? Yet somehow we were all wrong at the same time?

I was the most wrong. I blame it on my mp3 tags.

Edit: you know whats the most insane thing? I have the song in an album folder for splack pack and everything BUT the MP3 tag is wrong.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Screw you Mittens.
    Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

“I should tell my story,” Mr. Romney said. “I’m also unemployed.”

He chuckled. The eight people gathered around him, who had just finished talking about strategies of finding employment in a slow-to-recover economy, joined him in laughter.

“Are you on LinkedIn?” one of the men asked.

“I’m networking,” Mr. Romney replied. “I have my sight on a particular job.”

“I wish I had a job for everybody,” Mr. Romney said at the end of his discussion. He added, “I may be unemployed for longer than I’d like.”

It should be noted that this man has a net worth of over $200 million.

Mitt Romney is incapable of making a joke that doesn't sound lame and at least vaguely insulting. Democrats could probably get 101 percent of the black vote by just airing that one clip over and over.

I am already tired of the "bump in the road" crap. It is only offensive if you purposefully twist its obvious meaning.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Screw you Mittens.
    Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

He chuckled. The eight people gathered around him, who had just finished talking about strategies of finding employment in a slow-to-recover economy, joined him in laughter.

“I wish I had a job for everybody,” Mr. Romney said at the end of his discussion. He added, “I may be unemployed for longer than I’d like.”

Mitt Romney is incapable of making a joke that doesn't sound lame and at least vaguely insulting. Democrats could probably get 101 percent of the black vote by just airing that one clip over and over.

I am already tired of the "bump in the road" crap. It is only offensive if you purposefully twist its obvious meaning.

Personally, I'm sure Mitt Romney's attitude comes from never having lived paycheck to paycheck in his entire silver-spooned life. I'm not saying that people from wealth and privilege can't understand the plight of the lower/middle class, but for some of those people, they will never understand, and Mitt Romney's one of them.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Screw you Mittens.

Personally, I'm sure Mitt Romney's attitude comes from never having lived paycheck to paycheck in his entire silver-spooned life. I'm not saying that people from wealth and privilege can't understand the plight of the lower/middle class, but for some of those people, they will never understand, and Mitt Romney's one of them.

"Mitt Romney's net worth is 200 million. He says he's unemployed. Lets keep it that way. And tax the shit out of him."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People trying to say "Oh Mitt was only joking" kind of piss me off. That people there laughed does not excuse the man for making a joke about unemployment when he's made a lot of money firing people and when he ran massachusets they had abysmal job creation numbers.

The Obama team should be already queing that up for voters.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If Romney's the candidate, I bet the Obama team will be using that line until Election Day.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If Romney's the candidate, I bet the Obama team will be using that line until Election Day.

They should hit him early, damage him before the primaries. That way one of the clearly better canidates makes it through.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    People trying to say "Oh Mitt was only joking" kind of piss me off. That people there laughed does not excuse the man for making a joke about unemployment when he's made a lot of money firing people and when he ran massachusets they had abysmal job creation numbers.

"Haha, I'm technically unemployed but am fucking loaded and not fucked like you guys" is not really funny except in a gallows humor sort of way.

Couscous on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

They should hit him early, damage him before the primaries. That way one of the clearly better canidates makes it through.

I think being attacked by the President helps your numbers in the GOP primary. You really don't want to be endorsed by the President.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pawlenty hits back!
    @timpawlenty: On seizing debate opportunity re: healthcare: Me 0, Mitt 1. On doing healthcare reform the right way as governor: Me 1, Mitt 0

:lol:

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I think being attacked by the President helps your numbers in the GOP primary. You really don't want to be endorsed by the President.

Either way its win win, damages romney for the primary a more crazy canidate slips through. If it emboldens him through the primary, than you have this soundbite and all the other ones he'll make + his record to bang on him till november.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Pawlenty hits back!
    @timpawlenty: On seizing debate opportunity re: healthcare: Me 0, Mitt 1. On doing healthcare reform the right way as governor: Me 1, Mitt 0

1) Without Romney there.
    2) Three days later.
    3) On Twitter.
    4) He's wrong. Massachusetts health care is pretty great, according to Massachusetts residents.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pawlenty hits back!

1) Without Romney there.
    2) Three days later.
    3) On Twitter.
    4) He's wrong. Massachusetts health care is pretty great, according to Massachusetts residents.

Plus, the moderator gave him, like, 6 chances to go for the jugular.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pawlenty hits back!

1) Without Romney there.
    2) Three days later.
    3) On Twitter.

You know what makes this even better? Pawlenty's big announcement theme was "courage."

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

"Haha, I'm technically unemployed but am fucking loaded and not fucked like you guys" is not really funny except in a gallows humor sort of way.

I was hoping for a joke like "I even lost my car" as he is ushered out of the diner on palanquin.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man....

I usually don't feel much need or desire for violence. But that, that right there. Yeah. That would make me want to punch a former governor.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ummm wait what...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43431407/ns/politics/

they voted to end ethanol subsidies?

Well that should make Iowa interesting? Maybe?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    It seems more like a joke in poor taste than anything, but why would they have "joined him in laughter?" Must have been awkward.

Because they're morons.

While everyone probably assumes Mitt's well off, they probably didn't know it was to extent that the rest of the people in the room could work (if they had work) for over six centuries and still not have as much money put together as he has right now.

Hell, I didn't know he had that much.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ummm wait what...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43431407/ns/politics/

they voted to end ethanol subsidies?

Well that should make Iowa interesting? Maybe?

Well

This is the time

The time I agree with Sen Coburn and disagree with Obama

brb suiciding

Scooter on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *cough cough* while the right thing to do, I have this suspicion that they're hoping fuel prices rise so people blame Obama for not doing anything about it. Since we seem to think the president is magical.

kildy on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    *cough cough* while the right thing to do, I have this suspicion that they're hoping fuel prices rise so their oil buddies get rich and people blame Obama for not doing anything about it. Since we seem to think the president is magical.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    well yeah, i'm not putting that idea out of the realm of possibility, and it was an ammendment attached to a larger bill that won't pass, but still..

I mean it was like 73 to kill it? That's insane. It's like... "we should kill off ethanol production but it'll hurt in the primaries" and then suddenly, POOF. it's like whiplash...

weird.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Killing the ethanol subsidies is a good idea.

Doing it all at once at five o'clock some random thursday is not good.

It is, in my opinion, the job of government to provide stability. This means an action like this should happen slowly.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh i'm not saying it's not a good idea. it's a great idea.

It's just an idea that I thought would take some time to see happen.

Not random thursday like you said.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Killing the ethanol subsidies is a good idea.

Doing it all at once at five o'clock some random thursday is not good.

It is, in my opinion, the job of government to provide stability. This means an action like this should happen slowly.
    I'd be more concerned if both Oil and Corn (and the derivatives) were not each putting out record profits at the moment. Your objection is something I care about in theory but given the current conditions......fuck it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yea, maybe it'd be better if it was gradual...but I think they'd survive. If it's this or it not getting done for another 5+ years, I'd take it now.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's not like it would be implemented on Tuesday anyway. All government action takes time.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just now got around to watching the New Hampshire debates, after having DVR'ed them.

Wow. Just...wow. I'm at the part where Cain is suddenly goes from "it's not that I wouldn't appoint them, it's that I would't be comfortable with them" to "and I don't believe in Sharia law!"

God, this is infuriating. So they all believe that the federal gubmint needs to stay away and let states do their own thing, but more than half of them want a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, because gays are icky!

Oh, and Paul: I don't go to church. Do I need to adopt a religion to get married? Fuck you.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Krieghund wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/250100/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-the-awakening#s-p2-sr-i1

This video accurately sums up just how much I love how long the political campaigning goes on.

That was hilarious. Couldn't agree more.

Holy shit. That is amazing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    South host wrote: »
    Oh, and Paul: I don't go to church. Do I need to adopt a religion to get married? Fuck you.

I don't think you're thinking this through.

If marriage was just something some religious people did would you still want to do it? Even if you did, without the governments involvement in it you could just throw your own damn party, have your most eloquent friend do some talking and end up with something exactly as real as what a Southern Baptist would have.

Paul's position here doesn't suck....in a theoretical way. In a practical, "Let's get this passed!" sense, it is a horrible idea that would probably be harder to pass than the "Kill all Kittens" bill.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    South host wrote: »

You and I must beware his upcoming Manchild Tax.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ethanol subsidy: Kill it. Kill it today. Kill it with fire.

enc0re on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    Ethanol subsidy: Kill it. Kill it today. Kill it with fire.

Should be pretty easy to burn ethanol too.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    I guess I am alone in not wanting to punch Romney for his unemployed joke. And I'm even unemployed.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I guess I am alone in not wanting to punch Romney for his unemployed joke. And I'm even unemployed.

Eh it was pretty stupid of him and insensitive, but I'm not going to go get my dander up over every stupid thing a republican says in this election.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Eh it was pretty stupid of him and insensitive, but I'm not going to go get my dander up over every stupid thing a republican says in this election.

Obviously Romney needs to be more sensitive to people who hate him.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    I agree it was stupid, less because it was inherently offensive and more because it's the sort of thing that will obviously result in either offense or "offense".

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I agree it was stupid, less because it was inherently offensive and more because it's the sort of thing that will obviously result in either offense or "offense".

To me it highlights the divide between republican politicians and regular people. He thought it would be funny to joke about being unemployed when there are a lot of people facing the very real unemployment that he personally has caused and made money off of.

Like the Bush where are the WMD's joke, its just incredibly bad taste.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.