As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Primary 2012: An austere OP for an austere era

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Anyone else find it odd how similar Romney's and Huntsman's voices are?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and huntsman just lost his campaign. Sadly.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Marriage needs to be recognized equally across all states. Therefore we must ban gay marriage everywhere."

Good God damn son.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think you guys are ahead of me. Cain just finished answering his Muslim question.

and huntsman just lost his campaign. Sadly.

Yeah.

I actually kinda like him. He strikes me as Bush the Greater.

Oh snap.

Wait wait there's a state that's trying to legalize polygamy? Which one?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Man I don't think Quid is saying Perry isn't an enormous goose, it's just silly to say someone is actively bad for doing something else while a charitable organization is requesting donations.

Because that is always and forever happening everywhere in every corner of the globe.

Now, the prayer meeting as his answer to the state's problems is in and of itself a completely silly thing of which he should be ashamed. But that has nothing to do with another event that happened was happening will happen in Texas.

Extending your argument just weakens it. The prayer shit is silly because it's a completely worthless empty gesture by a manipulative goose, not because of the timing.

Ayup.

Perry sucks. But him sucking doesn't make bad arguments not bad.

The only one with a bad argument is you, Quid. Let me repost the story on the Back To School Fest:
    Houston’s biggest gathering on Saturday didn’t see national television news crews. It didn’t draw out protestors. It didn’t spark its own Twitter handle. And the event — which attracted an estimated 100,0000 people to a convention center just seven miles down the road from Gov. Rick Perry (R) and The Response prayer rally — had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with Texas families struggling through hard economic times:
    “Some families camped out for hours to gain admittance into Houston’s first-ever, citywide back-to-school event at George R. Brown Convention Center, where free backpacks, school supplies, uniforms, haircut vouchers, immunizations, and fresh produce were provided.

Others were turned away.

“It was getting beyond capacity,” [Houston Independent School District] spokesman Jason Spencer said. “If nothing else, it shows the need.”

In 2009, more than one-fifth of Houston-area residents lived below the poverty level, 3 percentage points higher than the state average. Given the scope of the need, the HISD event provided more than just school supplies; the City of Houston donated 20,000 boxed lunches, and the local Food Bank gave 25,000 three-pound bags of food.

The event planners, who had expected around 25,000 children to attend along with their parents, found themselves overwhelmed with nearly four times that number, forcing police to close the doors around 10 a.m., two hours earlier than expected. Every supply was distributed, every immunization given out, and yet still Texans came up empty-handed.

“They were supposed to have school supplies, but all we got was sweating and paid parking,” Houston mother Beatrice Jones said.

Only a few miles down the road from Jones, her governor prayed alongside 30,000 people for all those “who have lost hope.” He did not see fit to mention either the thousands of his constituents lined up for free back-to-school items or the multi-million dollar cuts his budget will inflict upon the Texas education system.

So, the tl;dr version is this: while Goodhair was at his little Dominionist rally trying to pray the malaise away, just seven miles away, the Houston Independent School District held a back to school event to help the less fortunate prepare for school. This did not just entail school supplies, but clothes, immunizations, haircuts, and even food. The district planned for 25,000 children.

They got almost 100,000 attending. As a result, they had to turn away people who were in need of support. And why the great need? Well, part of it is the poor economy. But a good part of it is Perry's policies that have helped to make things worse for the worst off in Texas, all to benefit his backers. And with the massive cuts to Texas education in the most recent budget - all so Perry can eke out the illusion of the "Texas miracle" long enough for a shot at the White House - these children are having their futures sacrificed for his ambition.

Of course, none of this came up at the Goodhair Tent Revival.

So yes, it is in fact proper to bring up that a school district got four times the response they were expecting to their offers of support to the needy seven miles away from Perry's event, because that happening is very much his fault. And he is continuing the same policies that got the state to this point. Goodhair is praying while Texas burns - and that is meant both figuratively and literally.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Why am I finding myself liking Ron Paul on occasional answers?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, the crowd did not like Bachmann being submissive.

Because to his credit he actually believes in small government most of the time. Just crazy, crazy small.

You know, I kind of have to admire Santorum's balls in standing up for incredibly unpopular positions.

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular

Because a lot of what he says sounds reasonable. But that is paired with a lot of crazy. And when you go more in-depth into his answers that sound reasonable, they end up being pretty crazy too.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    Mr. Santorum thinks he might be more pro-life than you. You gonna take that shit?

It was mostly a rhetorical question.

I'm now back to wanting to throw things at the candidates.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Because he actually has good positions on some issues... just not good enough to out-weigh his bat-shit insane positions on other issues.

I quite liked Huntsman's answer to the civil union question...

Quid wrote:
    Man I don't think Quid is saying Perry isn't an enormous goose, it's just silly to say someone is actively bad for doing something else while a charitable organization is requesting donations.

Because that is always and forever happening everywhere in every corner of the globe.

Now, the prayer meeting as his answer to the state's problems is in and of itself a completely silly thing of which he should be ashamed. But that has nothing to do with another event that happened was happening will happen in Texas.

Extending your argument just weakens it. The prayer shit is silly because it's a completely worthless empty gesture by a manipulative goose, not because of the timing.

Ayup.

Perry sucks. But him sucking doesn't make bad arguments not bad.

The only one with a bad argument is you, Quid. Let me repost the story on the Back To School Fest:
    Houston’s biggest gathering on Saturday didn’t see national television news crews. It didn’t draw out protestors. It didn’t spark its own Twitter handle. And the event — which attracted an estimated 100,0000 people to a convention center just seven miles down the road from Gov. Rick Perry (R) and The Response prayer rally — had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with Texas families struggling through hard economic times:
    “Some families camped out for hours to gain admittance into Houston’s first-ever, citywide back-to-school event at George R. Brown Convention Center, where free backpacks, school supplies, uniforms, haircut vouchers, immunizations, and fresh produce were provided.

Others were turned away.

“It was getting beyond capacity,” [Houston Independent School District] spokesman Jason Spencer said. “If nothing else, it shows the need.”

In 2009, more than one-fifth of Houston-area residents lived below the poverty level, 3 percentage points higher than the state average. Given the scope of the need, the HISD event provided more than just school supplies; the City of Houston donated 20,000 boxed lunches, and the local Food Bank gave 25,000 three-pound bags of food.

The event planners, who had expected around 25,000 children to attend along with their parents, found themselves overwhelmed with nearly four times that number, forcing police to close the doors around 10 a.m., two hours earlier than expected. Every supply was distributed, every immunization given out, and yet still Texans came up empty-handed.

“They were supposed to have school supplies, but all we got was sweating and paid parking,” Houston mother Beatrice Jones said.

Only a few miles down the road from Jones, her governor prayed alongside 30,000 people for all those “who have lost hope.” He did not see fit to mention either the thousands of his constituents lined up for free back-to-school items or the multi-million dollar cuts his budget will inflict upon the Texas education system.

So, the tl;dr version is this: while Goodhair was at his little Dominionist rally trying to pray the malaise away, just seven miles away, the Houston Independent School District held a back to school event to help the less fortunate prepare for school. This did not just entail school supplies, but clothes, immunizations, haircuts, and even food. The district planned for 25,000 children.

They got almost 100,000 attending. As a result, they had to turn away people who were in need of support. And why the great need? Well, part of it is the poor economy. But a good part of it is Perry's policies that have helped to make things worse for the worst off in Texas, all to benefit his backers. And with the massive cuts to Texas education in the most recent budget - all so Perry can eke out the illusion of the "Texas miracle" long enough for a shot at the White House - these children are having their futures sacrificed for his ambition.

Of course, none of this came up at the Goodhair Tent Revival.

So yes, it is in fact proper to bring up that a school district got four times the response they were expecting to their offers of support to the needy seven miles away from Perry's event, because that happening is very much his fault. And he is continuing the same policies that got the state to this point. Goodhair is praying while Texas burns - and that is meant both figuratively and literally.

Nah.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    You know, I kind of have to admire Santorum's balls in standing up for incredibly unpopular positions.

No you don't. I assure you as someone who has worked in the psychiatric field, crazy people are some of the most convicted and stalwart motherfuckers on the planet.

Romney wouldn't continue unemployment insurance in an emergency situation like now.

Also.. EPA's Regulatory reign of terror. Sigh. John Huntsman selling his soul a bit more.

Ok, I think I'm about 10 minutes behind.

Romney wouldn't continue unemployment insurance in an emergency situation like now.

Also.. EPA's Regulatory reign of terror. Sigh. John Huntsman selling his soul a bit more.

I wanted to be the first one to comment on the reign of terror! :P

Bachmann apparently doesn't understand how Congressional appropriations work

Also, S&P didn't say that

South host wrote:

I wanted to be the first one to comment on the reign of terror! :P

Too slooowwwww! You are too slow!

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Bachmann is going to get slammed for that answer.

Capital gains rates at zero? Really? Really?

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    I cannot take this.

"How will it create jobs?"

"Dividends are good enough."

awwww.

Gingrich is not going to fight the lady moderator.

That's a shame.

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    This just in: the government is not a company.

People are applauding corporations giving all their money to their executives instead of creating jobs. Good work, people.

Go Fuck Yourself with pro-life bullshit.

They can't explain how to create jobs because they don't understand how to answer that question outside of "TAX CUTS" and without breaking with far-right republican economic ideology.

oohh.

i think that was a santorum attack on bachmann.

and then on paul...

he's like a rabid biting dog from the doghouse.

I didn't know the tea party was also for reverting to the gold standard. I think what they're really looking for is a time machine.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Wow, Santorum said something reasonable. I'm impressed.

Still a toolbag, but he may be less economically crazy than some of the others up there.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    and on that answer alone, I am voting for Hunstman. (if I had to vote for a Republican and he wasn't that crazy for the rest of his stuff) NCLB getting abolished I love it.

No Child Left Behind is crap but vouchers aren't any better, buddy.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Bachmann apparently doesn't understand how Congressional appropriations work

Also, S&P didn't say that

Yeah I've read that release about 20 times this fucking week. She has absolutely no idea what she's talking about.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Bachmann

She has absolutely no idea what she's talking about.

Now we can just cut and paste this over and over during any and all future debates or discussions.

s7apster wrote:
    I didn't know the tea party was also for reverting to the gold standard. I think what they're really looking for is a time machine.

I think they're actually 19th century gold miners who quantum-leaped into our time.

Ron Paul: Vote for me because Jesus and gold.

This discussion has been closed.