As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum

Kendeathwalker on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'd love to know too. I've been trying to train my dog to get the frisbee, but the most he'll do is catch it, if it's close to him, and then drop it to the ground.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Tennis balls are kinda soft and squishy, so she may not see a plastic disk as appealing to pick up. You might want to start off with a gummy disc, or a dental rope frisbee. They might not fly as well but she might be more inclined to pick them up since they are more chewy.

Frisbee competition folk say you can also feed your dog out of their nontoxic hooplah frisbees, to I guess make the dog have an affinity for it, but generally my akita was more inclined to catch and hang onto the rope things. I personally never graduated to a regular Frisbee because he would have just cracked the shit out of it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My dog will fetch the kong disc things. I hear those are supposed to be easier on a dog's mouth too, so maybe try one of those.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The squirrel flyers fly a little better than the rope ones and still seem to appeal to a lot of dogs. We've never graduated to "preople" frisbees, but I don't really care.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    granite gear makes a soft padded frisbee that our dog really liked. plus when they are done you can sit on it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    She won't pick it up or can't? Franklin would chase frisbees and then leave them there because he couldn't pick them up. They were too much of a puzzle for him. He couldn't catch them either because he was way too slow. But I got one of those Kong Disc things Mushroom mentioned and he can pick it up because its rubbery and doesn't just slide around when he tries.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    no don't do that, more than likely she will just ignore teh frisbee once the PB runs out and is no longer there. this happened with our pup.

just encourage with treats, though some dogs just dont do frisbees

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My dog is a big fan of the Kong frisbees in puppy size, even though she's a 75lb doberman. They're easier for her to catch and they'll fly pretty far, plus she can fold them over and chew the hell out of them without really damaging the frisbee. All the real person frisbees she has she will chase and catch but they cut the hell out of her mouth and a decent amount of them were making her gums and tongue bleed, which might be why your dog doesn't like normal frisbees. There are also these which have a hole in the center that my dog uses to see through when she carries it but I'd definitely suggest trying the Kong frisbees first and seeing how that works out.

cabsy on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, the hard plastic people frisbees are hard for dogs to pick up. they make ones with the raised bone in the middle that are easier for pooches to grab as well. Nylabone i think.

Try working with her in short distances with the frisbee and get her used to playing with it. She's probably like: WTF is this thing, and what am i supposed to do with it?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    https://skyhoundz.com/training.html#catching

Someday when I have a dog, I will use this training guide. There is a section on disc selection too.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.flippyflopper.com/

Soft, relatively durable, cloth frisbees that fly very well.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Strakha's link there is just about perfect

Scroll up a bit to see how to introduce the disc to the dog. Make her love that thing

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on