As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Henry [chat]ler

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The magic/occultism thread...are they covering Wicca stuff too?

Mim on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This always bothers me.

What is the correct plural for a complex noun like "pain in the ass." Is it "pain in the asses" or "pains in the ass"? Or are both right? I think it should really be "pain in the asses." Or maybe it's "pains in the asses."

This is all GameStop's fault for making me think about pain in my ass.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man, I really hate "Well, you can just get a job at McDonalds"

Their recent national hiring day, they had about a million applicants and hired 50,000. In this economy, no, you can't just get a job at McDonalds.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    What I'm trying to say here is that if we collectively act like dicks to everyone that works at every GameStop in the entire world we can make them all cry, quit, and then GameStop will go belly-under as a company. Then we can sit on its corporate carcass and laugh at it for its hubris.

So isn't it, by extension, our moral obligation to be rude bastards whenever we're in a GameStop? Even if they are being nice to us? Fuck that. Niceness is just as evil as evilness.
    Finally, a rational excuse to be an asshole to minimum-wage employees I don't know!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    pains in the ass

much the same as attorneys general

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    This always bothers me.

What is the correct plural for a complex noun like "pain in the ass." Is it "pain in the asses" or "pains in the ass"? Or are both right? I think it should really be "pain in the asses." Or maybe it's "pains in the asses."

This is all GameStop's fault for making me think about pain in my ass.

it's definitely "pains"

you have multiple things causing you multiple pains, not multiple asses

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People who are intentionally, condescendingly rude to retail employees are destined for a very special ring of hell.

That ring is called "working retail".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ehh, people will work there. No matter how much of an ass you are. And I guess being an ass makes money for gamestop. Oh well. But still I rather be polite to someone till they actually act like an ass, then I get free reign. Saying whatever garbage shit they have to memorize that week from corporate isn't being an ass, it just means they are trying keep there job.

Now if its them screaming it in your face, yeah well fuck that but my local gamestop doesn't do that so whatever. I tend to have nice conversations the like 2 times a year I go there anyways.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    moniker wrote: »
    In all seriousness, I don't harass EB/GameStop workers at all. But I also don't buy this idea that people just have to accept however you are treated by said grunt level workers, whether their behavior is explicitly prescribed by company policy or not.

Two things:

1) That's a false dichotomy. You don't have to be either an asshole or a wilting lilly, there are alternatives.
    2) Odds are they're being a dick because they're having a bad day. Ever work minimum wage retail? It sucks. Hard. Most people whose lives suck aren't going to be the patron saint of customer service even when they aren't contractually obligated to behave otherwise.

1) It's not even a dichotomy for me. If I don't act like a dick to everyone, the voices start screaming again.

2) Yes, I have worked minimum wage retail. Did you see on the last page where I said I actually worked at an Electronics Boutique for 4 years? So not only have I worked minimum wage, but I've worked at the very company in question (well at least now it's the same company).

Their company policies are terrible and more or less require their employees to be pains in the ass. "Be a pain in the ass" is pretty much their main company policy. They are required to push preorders and trade-ins above all else and to do so aggressively.

So yeah I agree that you don't have to be a dick to a minimum wage worker (screaming voices notwithstanding) but I don't think these minimum wage workers really get to wash their hands of how they are treating customers, even if that is just company policy. I mean, you could just as easily get a job at McDonald's where the most you'll have to push on people are french fries and large value meal upgrades.

Not really.
    McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement

Meaning they turned away roughly ≥ 938,000 people.

moniker on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Richy wrote: »

I really hate those 4chan style faces. They strike me lolwacky without actually being humorous.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was trying not to drag the economy part into it but that is very true as well. Its hard now to find even a crappy retail job.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

I really hate those 4chan style faces. They strike me lolwacky without actually being humorous.

They can be used pretty well, but since they're incredibly easy to make, every retard under the sun can put together a rage comic in under five minutes...

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I hope you guys realize I am exaggerating.

But I really do dislike Gamestop. A lot. They are fucking up the gaming industry. Hopefully everything will go to digital downloads and companies like Gamestop will fuck off forever.

I don't blame the grunts for that of course. The truth is, EB was a chill place to work and shop at back when I worked there (and before). I worked at EB from 1998-2002, or thereabouts. It was fun. No quotas. No pushing preorders. Preorders were a thing that customers could do, but it wasn't pushed on them anywhere NEAR to the degree they are now.

In fact, I quit right before the shit hit the fan in that regard. Now it's quota city.

One of the reasons I hate Gamestop so much is that they turned a job I loved (I think my job at EB in the mall here was probably the most fun I've ever had at work) into a detestible, uncomfortable place for people on both sides of the counter. Even beyond how much they keep fucking with the gaming industry, I highly resent them for what they did to the work environment.

Drez on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what if one pain is affecting multiple asses, though

desc on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Its hard being a [chat] lurker. I just caught up with the last chat, and now we're on another one.

The key to [chat] is not to try and catch up but to instead just jump to the last page and jump in.

Do not listen to the heathen. Lurk, my brethren, and reply to posts an hour later. That is the way of the [chat] lurker.

Yes! Indeed!

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

But I really do dislike Gamestop. A lot. They are fucking up the gaming industry. Hopefully everything will go to digital downloads and companies like Gamestop will fuck off forever.

I don't blame the grunts for that of course. The truth is, EB was a chill place to work and shop at back when I worked there (and before). I worked at EB from 1998-2002, or thereabouts. It was fun. No quotas. No pushing preorders. Preorders were a thing that customers could do, but it wasn't pushed on them anywhere NEAR to the degree they are now.

In fact, I quit right before the shit hit the fan in that regard. Now it's quota city.

One of the reasons I hate Gamestop so much is that they turned a job I loved (I think my job at EB in the mall here was probably the most fun I've ever had at work) into a detestible, uncomfortable place for people on both sides of the counter. Even beyond how much they keep fucking with the gaming industry, I highly resent them for what they did to the work environment.

So don't shop there.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    desc wrote: »

How would that be physically possible? Are we talking, like, Schrodinger's ass?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Think multiple people roasting above a fire.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In all seriousness, I don't harass EB/GameStop workers at all. But I also don't buy this idea that people just have to accept however you are treated by said grunt level workers, whether their behavior is explicitly prescribed by company policy or not.

Two things:

1) That's a false dichotomy. You don't have to be either an asshole or a wilting lilly, there are alternatives.
    2) Odds are they're being a dick because they're having a bad day. Ever work minimum wage retail? It sucks. Hard. Most people whose lives suck aren't going to be the patron saint of customer service even when they aren't contractually obligated to behave otherwise.

1) It's not even a dichotomy for me. If I don't act like a dick to everyone, the voices start screaming again.

2) Yes, I have worked minimum wage retail. Did you see on the last page where I said I actually worked at an Electronics Boutique for 4 years? So not only have I worked minimum wage, but I've worked at the very company in question (well at least now it's the same company).

Their company policies are terrible and more or less require their employees to be pains in the ass. "Be a pain in the ass" is pretty much their main company policy. They are required to push preorders and trade-ins above all else and to do so aggressively.

So yeah I agree that you don't have to be a dick to a minimum wage worker (screaming voices notwithstanding) but I don't think these minimum wage workers really get to wash their hands of how they are treating customers, even if that is just company policy. I mean, you could just as easily get a job at McDonald's where the most you'll have to push on people are french fries and large value meal upgrades.

Not really.
    McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement

Those 938,000 people probably sucked. What I'm saying here is that if you're qualified to work at a Gamestop, you're more than qualified to work at a McDonald's. In fact, I'd prefer that because someone trained at a Gamestop would probably comprehend English well enough not to put onions on my double cheeseburger after I expressly told them not to.

Drez on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    the idea that being rude to Gamestop employees will magically fix Gamestop is so deeply retarded it could only have been conceived on an internet video game message board.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Two things:

Not really.

Those 938,000 people probably sucked. What I'm saying here is that if you're qualified to work at a Gamestop, you're more than qualified to work at a McDonald's. In fact, I'd prefer that because someone trained at a Gamestop would probably comprehend English well enough not to put onions on my double cheeseburger after I expressly told them not to.

Lots of people are qualified to work at McDonald's. There aren't enough McDonald's or positions around to hire all of them. That's what being in an aggregate demand slump recession means.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Think multiple people roasting above a fire.

Yes, but their separate asses would all be getting burned by distinct and different flames.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

So don't shop there.

Um, no. I mean, I don't shop there, but that doesn't preclude me from continuing to rail against the company and their practices. I don't shop at the Nazi Boutique either. Or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but that's a long story.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that I don't shop there. Their position in the gaming market affects me as a video game consumer whether I shop there or not.

Anyway, you guys let me violate Poe's Law way too much. Of course I damn well don't think it's right to accost or be a dick to a Gamestop register jockey! Hell, I've had change (dimes, nickels, maybe a quarter or two) flung in my face when I worked there because "I wasn't fast enough."

Trust me, I feel their pain.

Drez on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A difficult team project could be described as a single "pain in the asses" of all those involved.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    with so many people unemployed right now i think we could be a little more sensitive and respectful about stupid, worthless poor people being able to punch a card

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    the idea that being rude to Gamestop employees will magically fix Gamestop is so deeply retarded it could only have been conceived on an internet video game message board.

My idea isn't just to be rude to Gamestop employees. It has to be an organized, concerted effort. We ALL have to walk into EVERY SINGLE GAMESTOP all at one synchronized time and say something really mean to them all like "you guys suck." If it happens all at once, they won't be able to turn to each other for emotional support. The tears will be streaming from their eyes in a delicious chorus of agony, and they will have no recourse but to flee the premises and resign their post as game salespeople. If we do this ALL TOGETHER we can slay the corporate beast once and for all.

Who's with me?

Drez on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    drez stop this madness

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    God you people take me too seriously. And yes I know some of you will say "oh you're just backpedaling."

I guess you guys don't think much of me if you think I really would go around being a dick to Gamestop employees indiscriminately. Sigh. Can't I just be fake mean here and not be judged for it? :(

Drez on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    drez

calm yourself

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    God you people take me too seriously. And yes I know some of you will say "oh you're just backpedaling."

I guess you guys don't think much of me if you think I really would go around being a dick to Gamestop employees indiscriminately. Sigh. Can't I just be fake mean here and not be judged for it? :(

i know that you were drez

being drez

everyone else seems to have forgotten

Pony on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, yeah, that really hot girl that took me to see Rent was also a Randroid and introduced me to her for the first time.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    randians are

at best

stupid

and at worst

actively bad people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pony let's go see a movie together.

Drez on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, that really hot girl that took me to see Rent was also a Randroid and introduced me to her for the first time.

So she was rooting for the land owners the whole time in Rent?

Couscous on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Drez

I have the opposite problem.

I try to honestly be a giant asshole, and nobody takes me seriously.

It's an equally painful problem to have :(

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Is Atlas Shrugged still in theaters?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

oh man i hear green lantern is p bad

let's go rip the shit out of it

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I still submit that The Fountainhead is an enjoyable book. Yes, the characters are one dimensional Objectivism parrots, and yes since moniker is floating around [chat] here I guess I should say the architect stuff is nonsense or whatever (I don't really know), but I still thought it was enjoyable.

Objectivism sucks though.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »

Is Atlas Shrugged still in theaters?

Dunno. edit: Probably not.

Pony wrote: »

oh man i hear green lantern is p bad

let's go rip the shit out of it

NO TALKING.

But you can eat your popcorn REALLY LOUDLY in the bad parts if you want.

Drez on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rent on
This discussion has been closed.