As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New to PS3: Questions about MGS4 and other stuff

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got a PS3 and I need some input on good PS3 only games, if it is also on Xbox and had any kind of interest to me I already own it.

First of all, I am currently playing through Encharted and I like it, so I will also order Among Thieves.
Demon's Souls is also already ordered, I am pondering Disgaea 4 as well and thinking about getting Siren Blood Curse off PSN.
I tried demos of Castle Crashers and Fat Princess and wasn't too impressed(if I want blue mans fighting red ones I will play TF2, thank you)

About MGS4, I really love the looks of this game and would like to play it, but there is some conflicting info about the need to know the first 3 games, some people say you will not understand anything at all without playing 1-3, some say it's still fun.
I have only played through MGS1 when it was new back on the PS1 so I really do not remember much about that story. I started both MGS2 and 3 on the PS2 but hated the controls and stopped pretty early.
Does anybody know a good video recap for the MGS games up to MGS4?

And what other unique PS3 games are out there which I should get?

Librarian on

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MGS4 will make absolutely no sense if you haven't played the others. Though really it makes little sense even if you have. The game is not very long and is full of lengthy cutscenes. If you didn't really care for MGS2 or 3, 4 is not going to endear you to the series any better.

As for PS3 exclusives... well you already mentioned Uncharted and Demon's Souls. I'd say try and get Valkyria Chronicles. It's kinda anime WWII, but it's a pretty great strategy RPG.

I predict someone will suggest playing Heavy Rain. I personally hate it, but to each their own. It's definitely different from most games out there.

Hard to think of anything else exclusive to PS3 that really stands out to me. I'm not a fan of God of War so I can't comment on GOW3. Never played Infamous though I should since I could get it for free due to that whole downtime welcome back package...

Adus on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am actually a tiny wee bit interested in Heavy Rain, but I am careful, since it sounds like the game is on rails most of the time with QTE after QTE and that already pissed me off about Fahrenheit.

I also read that Destructoid comparison of Heavy Rain and Deadly Premonition, a game which I love with all my heart and they made it sound as if the story of Heavy Rain is absolutely rubbish.

Librarian on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The comparison between Deadly Premonition and Heavy Rain is one I don't totally understand. They're not all that similar. I guess they're both story-centric mystery games but that's about where the similarities end.

I'm not sure I'd consider it "on rails" exactly. There are a lot of choices and endings, etc. It just sacrifices gameplay in order to focus on the plot, but the plot isn't good enough for such focus. Since the comparison has already been made I think Deadly Premonition is a better game if only because it managed to make the characters (well, mostly York) endearing even though the gameplay is poor and the plot is ultimately kind of a mess. This is something Heavy Rain just doesn't really do.

I'd say if Heavy Rain does anything right, it's atmosphere. The graphics and music really fit the sullen tone. The facial animations and voice acting are... off, but everything else looks really good.

Adus on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you havent played the first two God of War games, theres a God of War PS3 revamp thats worth a shot. I assume God of War 3 is more of the same (but way prettier, since for the PS3 release of God of War I/II they just upscaled the graphics as opposed to just completely remaking the game for the PS3).

Gran Turismo 5 if you like racing games. Personally I prefer Forza, but GT5 is pretty.

emp123 on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Infamous is really good, as well as Ratchet and Clank. MGS4 plays pretty much exactly like all the other games so if you didn't like them I don't think you'd like it.

khain on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God of War is is pretty awesome. Like was said before, if you didn't play GoW 1/2, there is a remake that has both of them. God of War 3 is pretty awesome as well.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Another vote for God of War 3. And again, if you haven't played the first 2 games, get the HD versions for PS3.

I would also highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's full of anime tropes, but the execution is so damn charming and the gameplay is unique and a lot of fun. There's also bonus content and DLC, to extend the liftetime of the title, if you like it.

And of course, come September, you'll have to pick up the HD update to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, forgot about Valkyria Chronicles, I will be getting that as well.
    I might as well get the GoW Collection from PSN. I just hope that it is multilanguage, as I am forced into the German ghetto of PSN. Most European games have both English and German language so it is enough that my console settings are English, I just don't know if that is true for download titles.

Librarian on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you enjoy the original NES Zelda, and aren't opposed to some classic gameplay and retro-ish graphics, I'd highly recommend 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's PS3 exclusive, tons of fun, and can be had for cheap on Amazon currently. I really enjoyed my time with it... Save for the Dash Circuit minigame. Everything in the game is like sweet, sweet nostalgia-candy.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you are into shooters, I can't reccomend the Killzone Series enough, 1 and 2 you can get on the cheap. Infamous and God of War are pretty fun for PS3exclusives. Prototype is also a fun-ish sandbox game also less than $10, so yea, that's all I can think of.

Noizlanif on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Librarian wrote: »
    I am actually a tiny wee bit interested in Heavy Rain, but I am careful, since it sounds like the game is on rails most of the time with QTE after QTE and that already pissed me off about Fahrenheit.

I also read that Destructoid comparison of Heavy Rain and Deadly Premonition, a game which I love with all my heart and they made it sound as if the story of Heavy Rain is absolutely rubbish.

The Destructoid thing was blatant trolling and shouldnt be trusted. That being said, Heavy Rain is basically the same style of game as Fahrenheit but executed better, so you may not care for it. You could always just rent it. It's not very long anyway.

I love MGS4 but that is a series where you definitely should play through the whole thing.

Infamous is pretty cool. As are the Ratchet and Clank games.

LockedOnTarget on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Little Big Planet was PS3 only....

spool32 on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually, depending on how long youve had your PS3, you should check into getting Infamous and Little Big Planet from the Playstation Store for free. Sony is giving away free copies of 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games (theres a list of eligible games) via the Playstation Store as compensation for the PSN being down so you may be eligible for that. I picked up Infamous and Little Big Planet as the other offerings didnt really interest me.

emp123 on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're making a God of War style HD collection of MGS2,3 and Peace Walker, so you may as well play those before 4. It's an extremely continuity-heavy series, and like half of MGS4 is all about nostalgia for the series' past and closing plot lines.

Also, a PS1 rom of MGS1 is available on the PSN, totally worth picking up.

Darlan on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Little Big Planet must not be missed. Also Uncharted is really great as are GT5 and Wipeout and Echochrome and Flowers and Motorstorm and... :-)

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
    edited June 2011
    emp123 wrote: »
    Actually, depending on how long youve had your PS3, you should check into getting Infamous and Little Big Planet from the Playstation Store for free. Sony is giving away free copies of 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games (theres a list of eligible games) via the Playstation Store as compensation for the PSN being down so you may be eligible for that. I picked up Infamous and Little Big Planet as the other offerings didnt really interest me.

I only have the PS3 since last friday, so I guess I get no free stuff. Also here in Germany we do not get Infamous but Hustle Kings instead, whatever that is, has something to do with the 18 rating of Infamous and German violent videogame paranoia.

Librarian on